Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

kaworu posted:

I love how absurdly enormous the castles are in ASoIaF, to be honest - it's one of my favorite things, that poo poo is just like almost unreasonably big.

This is one of my favorite (albeit INSANELY geeky and done by a deeply annoying guy) ASoIaF fan creations - this guy actually constructed a book-accurate representation of Winterfell into a 3D modeling program, and the result is frankly pretty stunning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZdbpfcxfSk

More than anything it makes me kinda sad they didn't do an animated adaptation of the series, or something - that way they could have actually done justice to places like Winterfell, Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, etc.... The show representations of these places were so woefully underwhelming and inaccurate that it just makes me sad to think about it. Of course they are going to do an animated series about Robert's Rebellion, I've heard, but that could wind up being really good or really bad.

I like his design. I never thought of the weirdwood as being inside the castle walls, though I guess that makes sense, and I like how he integrated it ( compared to one of the castles shown early in the video )

pseudanonymous posted:

All the numbers in game of thrones are basically just absurdly large. Army size, wall size, population sizes, etc..

This is one of those areas that I'm willing to give the author poetic license - it doesn't break my immersion, and when it does it's just like "oh yeah, that is stupid, oh well". I'm sure it would be different if I knew anything about the size of real or historical armies.

You know, I kind of feel bad for Arya - in the original draft she ended up the queen. Sure a little incest was required, but that had to be better than either 1) murdered by an assassins guild in Braavos; her face cut off to be used as a mask or 2) brainwashed and de-personified into the kind of assassin that wears other people's face as a mask.

I just remembered one of the other "new" scenes in the show that was great: the traveling theater group in braavos that reanacted scenes from westeros. That was fun and clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Boofy posted:

do you think rap rock exists in westeros

Yes, but it's just a little thing a few of us Maesters do on the weekends. Marwyn shrieks Dothraki battle rhymes into one of those lit candles, I'm on great-Lute, and Queggon does his whole grooved obsidian discus thing. Come check us out this weekend. We play at the lime pit during first watch, and I can give you some free mead tickets. Bring some of those OldTown whores you frequent.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: The real question is why/how the wall is a barrier for the Others. They're undead. They could (and going by the one thing Patchface said, do) walk through the sea and the only issues would be if scavengers in the water would try to eat zombies and ice vampires. And if the walkers have a supernatural cold aura about them, they can probably freeze seawater easily enough.
Ngl GRRM could have actually made the Greyjoys interesting if it turns out Euron didn't go to the too-convenient Asshai/Shadowlands and instead was using some kraken-summoner the Greyjoys had lost.

Viking-esque longboats with sea serpents mulching ice zombies on the ocean floor is loving rad as gently caress.

Seriously though I loving hate how much he leans on Asshai to pull whatever new magic poo poo out of his rear end.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

TERFherder posted:

I just remembered one of the other "new" scenes in the show that was great: the traveling theater group in braavos that reanacted scenes from westeros. That was fun and clever.

thats almost entirely from a preview chapter

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TERFherder posted:

I like his design. I never thought of the weirdwood as being inside the castle walls, though I guess that makes sense, and I like how he integrated it ( compared to one of the castles shown early in the video )

This is one of those areas that I'm willing to give the author poetic license - it doesn't break my immersion, and when it does it's just like "oh yeah, that is stupid, oh well". I'm sure it would be different if I knew anything about the size of real or historical armies.

You know, I kind of feel bad for Arya - in the original draft she ended up the queen. Sure a little incest was required, but that had to be better than either 1) murdered by an assassins guild in Braavos; her face cut off to be used as a mask or 2) brainwashed and de-personified into the kind of assassin that wears other people's face as a mask.

Battle of Hastings was probably ~10-15k vs ~10-15k.

Martin has armies of like an order of magnitude larger ...

I wouldn't mind but people pretend like he's so historical and such an expert. In the war of the Roses we are again talking like 10k people on a side. the very books he cites as sources discuss this stuff. It's simply not possible with the kind of technology they use to source food for many more than 10k at a time unless you have a hyper-efficient logistics schema, like Rome. And even then the legions were spread all over the place, not altogether. Methods of food production and stuff are just not that efficient historically, I mean presumably, Westeros has had the 3-crop rotation introduced. Though realistically the whole thing with food in GoT is just totally laughable. 3 year winters. Humans would just all die.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jsoh posted:

thats almost entirely from a preview chapter

I was certain I’d read that and thought I was I was losing my mind for a second there.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

:geno:

gently caress that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Battle of Hastings was probably ~10-15k vs ~10-15k.

Martin has armies of like an order of magnitude larger ...

I wouldn't mind but people pretend like he's so historical and such an expert. In the war of the Roses we are again talking like 10k people on a side. the very books he cites as sources discuss this stuff. It's simply not possible with the kind of technology they use to source food for many more than 10k at a time unless you have a hyper-efficient logistics schema, like Rome.

It was an unusually big battle, but there were 50-60k at Towton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Towton

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
This is the song that never ends. Yes, it goes on and on, my friends.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

kaworu posted:

I love how absurdly enormous the castles are in ASoIaF, to be honest - it's one of my favorite things, that poo poo is just like almost unreasonably big.

This is one of my favorite (albeit INSANELY geeky and done by a deeply annoying guy) ASoIaF fan creations - this guy actually constructed a book-accurate representation of Winterfell into a 3D modeling program, and the result is frankly pretty stunning:

More than anything it makes me kinda sad they didn't do an animated adaptation of the series, or something - that way they could have actually done justice to places like Winterfell, Storm's End, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, etc.... The show representations of these places were so woefully underwhelming and inaccurate that it just makes me sad to think about it. Of course they are going to do an animated series about Robert's Rebellion, I've heard, but that could wind up being really good or really bad.
This is much closer to how I imagined Winterfell. Nicely done. The flat rooves of TV Winterfell always bothered me. It also bothered me that it seemed like only 100 people lived and worked in winterfell and there was no town surrounding the castle.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

That castle rules, ngl.

Evil Fluffy posted:

e: The real question is why/how the wall is a barrier for the Others. They're undead. They could (and going by the one thing Patchface said, do) walk through the sea and the only issues would be if scavengers in the water would try to eat zombies and ice vampires. And if the walkers have a supernatural cold aura about them, they can probably freeze seawater easily enough.

I realise you meant they probably walk on a frozen sheet of ice but I was just imagining one of the Others walking neck deep into the sea and freezing in place just like "Oh yeah, that's why we don't do that."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

kaworu posted:

So how does Theon and like 50 dudes conquer that castle?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how does Theon and like 50 dudes conquer that castle?

The largest castle in the world is useless if not properly defended. In this case, they scaled the walls and surprised the like 1d6 defenders. (I forgot how many they had, exactly)

Also, the larger a place is, the harder it is to defend. The same small group of defenders in a normal sized castle would have just laughed at Theon and his 50 robbers

He would have been forced to siege the place until food runs out for one side.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it's been awhile since I read these but IIRC the castle is already low on people since everyone is north for the war, he stages a raid to draw Sir Roderick out, then because he's an insider he knows exactly how to get in where it will be least defended so he can basically take Bran and Rickon hostage with the least amount of effort and bloodshed, and basically win Winterfell by default. Even then when the forces he drew out return he is basically in the reverse situation where he has no forces to defend with and is screwed until Ramsay returns

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, the epic size of Winterfell is definitely also its' Achilles heel. Theon was also able to take because he knew a secret way to sneak past the traditional defenses (a secret gate accessible through the moat IIRC?) and you can definitely see how a small, secret, well-informed group of 50 could take that castle from within if it were as lightly garrisoned as it was in ACoK after Robb left.

Something that becomes somewhat apparent is that Winterfell really isn't meant to be like "just" a castle built to house and protect one great family and a garrison of troops, with enough capacity to survive a siege of a couple years. It seems more like it's specifically meant to house and support the remnants of the entire Northern civilization when attacked by, say, White Walkers/wights during an insanely long and difficult winter. Like, it seems to have evolved into something more traditional in recent centuries with the "Winter Town" that gets built up around it, but one has to believe they can (and will) bring all those smallfolk behind the walls if they truly were being attacked by the undead - at least assuming someone who gives a poo poo like Jon Snow ends up ruling there, rather than a Bolton. And one has to think that they were considering threats more significant than just other Northmen when making a castle like that.

Speaking of The Winter Town, I am reminded of (yet another) horribly loving obnoxious and egregiously petty and lovely thing that D&D did during the making of Season 8. Remember the very first scene of Season 1, episode 8, when we see the really cool Winter's Town and then never see it again? Apparently there was a reason for that, as their script lackey confirms here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfPW6ewf2g&t=2s

Oh, I see! It was a funny joke to purposely overburden one of the actually talented employees with a tremendous amount of wasted work! Ha-ha, you jokers! And she sounds so amused! :fuckoff:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kaworu posted:

Speaking of The Winter Town, I am reminded of (yet another) horribly loving obnoxious and egregiously petty and lovely thing that D&D did during the making of Season 8. Remember the very first scene of Season 1, episode 8, when we see the really cool Winter's Town and then never see it again? Apparently there was a reason for that, as their script lackey confirms here:

Oh, I see! It was a funny joke to purposely overburden one of the actually talented employees with a tremendous amount of wasted work! Ha-ha, you jokers! And she sounds so amused! :fuckoff:

God, no wonder Gemma Jackson ran screaming from the show after Season 3.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

kaworu posted:

Yeah, the epic size of Winterfell is definitely also its' Achilles heel. Theon was also able to take because he knew a secret way to sneak past the traditional defenses (a secret gate accessible through the moat IIRC?) and you can definitely see how a small, secret, well-informed group of 50 could take that castle from within if it were as lightly garrisoned as it was in ACoK after Robb left.

Something that becomes somewhat apparent is that Winterfell really isn't meant to be like "just" a castle built to house and protect one great family and a garrison of troops, with enough capacity to survive a siege of a couple years. It seems more like it's specifically meant to house and support the remnants of the entire Northern civilization when attacked by, say, White Walkers/wights during an insanely long and difficult winter. Like, it seems to have evolved into something more traditional in recent centuries with the "Winter Town" that gets built up around it, but one has to believe they can (and will) bring all those smallfolk behind the walls if they truly were being attacked by the undead - at least assuming someone who gives a poo poo like Jon Snow ends up ruling there, rather than a Bolton. And one has to think that they were considering threats more significant than just other Northmen when making a castle like that.

No, I'm pretty sure, as any tactical genius would know, you get all your troops outside the walls and all your siege engines outside the walls (you don't actually use catapults to attack troops but whatever) and then fight in the night. Against the magical undead army.

You most certainly don't build a giant gently caress-off castle and retreat inside of it and defend it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kaworu posted:

gently caress the Entertainment Industry.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The final seasons may have been trash (or, more trash than previous seasons), but the one thing I take away from them is that it introduced me to Ramin Djawadi's music composition, which was legitimately good.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He was also the only good thing in Westworld.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Max posted:

The final seasons may have been trash (or, more trash than previous seasons), but the one thing I take away from them is that it introduced me to Ramin Djawadi's music composition, which was legitimately good.

I vividly recall the first time I saw that scene with the destruction of the Sept of Baelor by wildfire and the way that music. Just. Built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LASz6HAL7E

I think that was the last time I watche GoT and genuinally thought "This is amazing!".

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
It's amazing how D&D fell. Their previous project was directing a stand-up special for Netflix and current project is a teen comedy for Netflix about 2 guys starting a band in high school.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kuiperdolin posted:

He was also the only good thing in Westworld.

For sure.

Deptfordx posted:

I vividly recall the first time I saw that scene with the destruction of the Sept of Baelor by wildfire and the way that music. Just. Built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LASz6HAL7E

I think that was the last time I watche GoT and genuinally thought "This is amazing!".

I think he one upped himself with the Night King theme as well, or at least matched it. He really carried a lot of those scenes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

not a bot posted:

It's amazing how D&D fell. Their previous project was directing a stand-up special for Netflix and current project is a teen comedy for Netflix about 2 guys starting a band in high school.
I like how the more and more we find out over the years, it doesn't even look like Disney canceled their Star Wars because of the bad reputation they gained with fans (although that definitely didn't help), but because they sat down with these fucksticks and realized "oh poo poo they don't know dick about a production of this scale."

I mean I might hate Taika Waititi (and make no mistake I loving hate Taika Waititi) but the guy clearly knows how to run a big production and has extremely strong commercial instincts.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
How tf can you hate Taika Waititi?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah Jojo Rabbit was garbage but i cant imagine hating the guy

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I liked Jojo Rabbit. :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah Jojo Rabbit was garbage

lol wat

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Taika is extremely talented. His character work, narrative construction, and direction are genuinely brilliant... to the point where he's clearly overstretched and he cuts corners on his comedy. Every joke he ever makes is so tongue-in-cheek it might as well have a built-in bear trap against any possible criticism:

"That's hammy." "Well :smug: I guess you take things too seriously :smug: fuckin' snob"

"That's lazy." "Well :smug: I guess you don't really 'get' what we're going for :smug: fuckin' nerd"

"That's smug" ":smug: :smug: :smug: gently caress you for not eating my poo poo :smug: :smug: :smug:"

Like gently caress dude I don't care if he has contempt for his audience and/or wants to play for the cheap seats. Sandler does that and I still think he's ok, and Sandler's jokes are objectively way worse and Sandler has even fewer dramatic chops. Just y'know, pick a lane and don't get your fans to be wankers if people don't dig the whole "too cool for this poo poo, taking the piss out of it, and winking so the audience feels like they're at the cool kid's table too" vibe.

I've been around enough dudes like that that no, I really don't like them. It's not a coincidence that nearly every actual on-screen persona he does is either "too nice dullard" or "arrogant, contemptuous prick."

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I need a real life example here because your reasons are so abstract you sound like you’re making poo poo up and just have a tendency to hate people for the most inane reason possible.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

not a bot posted:

I wonder when they will each decide the other is the one holding them back (they'll both be wrong).

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
You sound like you've been stalking him and have made up a completely fictional version of him in your mind that you hate.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mind the walrus posted:

Taika is extremely talented. His character work, narrative construction, and direction are genuinely brilliant... to the point where he's clearly overstretched and he cuts corners on his comedy. Every joke he ever makes is so tongue-in-cheek it might as well have a built-in bear trap against any possible criticism:

"That's hammy." "Well :smug: I guess you take things too seriously :smug: fuckin' snob"

"That's lazy." "Well :smug: I guess you don't really 'get' what we're going for :smug: fuckin' nerd"

"That's smug" ":smug: :smug: :smug: gently caress you for not eating my poo poo :smug: :smug: :smug:"

Like gently caress dude I don't care if he has contempt for his audience and/or wants to play for the cheap seats. Sandler does that and I still think he's ok, and Sandler's jokes are objectively way worse and Sandler has even fewer dramatic chops. Just y'know, pick a lane and don't get your fans to be wankers if people don't dig the whole "too cool for this poo poo, taking the piss out of it, and winking so the audience feels like they're at the cool kid's table too" vibe.

I've been around enough dudes like that that no, I really don't like them. It's not a coincidence that nearly every actual on-screen persona he does is either "too nice dullard" or "arrogant, contemptuous prick."

this reads like someone who somehow got bullied for not understanding The Life Aquatic and mounting a crusade against Wes Anderson.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TowerofOil posted:

You sound like you've been stalking him and have made up a completely fictional version of him in your mind that you hate.

It's all the rage these days on the Tweeters. People have gotten stinking rich making up fictional versions of people and then screaming about all the crimes they've committed that only exist inside their heads and people just gobble that poo poo up.

Hell, there's an entire cruise ship's worth of people out there who are convinced Kathleen Kennedy literally had Carrie Fisher assassinated for... I don't know, hey look over there! What's that?!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 4, 2021

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I wonder when they will each decide the other is the one holding them back (they'll both be wrong).

This won't happen and comes from an understandable misconception - that Benioff and Weiss have some sort of equal partnership. As far as I can tell, Benioff has always been the guy who makes the decisions and has unquestioned authority, and D.B Weiss is actually more like a personal assistant/yes-man that Benioff promoted. He had no writing experience prior to working on Thrones - whereas Benioff had at least some credibility having written the novel and screenplay The 25th Hour (among other less successful stuff including X-Men Origins: Wolverine which was a mess). 25th Hour ended up getting directed by Spike Lee, and I was actually pretty fond of that film, I'm gonna be honest.

Anyway, this is a common trend for Benioff. Pretty much the only other writers to ever work on Game of Thrones - Bryan Cogman and Dave Hill - were like D.B. Weiss. Meaning they had already been working for Benioff for some time, and had absolutely no prior writing experience.

Benioff and Weiss actually bragged about having no experience and attending "the most expensive film school ever" (in reference to 10 years of working on Game of Thrones). They also went on about what a big "sacrifice" it was to "give up 10 years of [their lives] making this show", as if it was some awful chore they had to suffer for the benefit of others. This was at the Austin Film Fest back at the end of 2019 - it was literally 2 days after that interview that they got fired from Star Wars. Was pretty wonderful.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

kaworu posted:

Benioff and Weiss actually bragged about having no experience and attending "the most expensive film school ever" (in reference to 10 years of working on Game of Thrones). They also went on about what a big "sacrifice" it was to "give up 10 years of [their lives] making this show", as if it was some awful chore they had to suffer for the benefit of others. This was at the Austin Film Fest back at the end of 2019 - it was literally 2 days after that interview that they got fired from Star Wars. Was pretty wonderful.

Yeah the rarity of elite failsons like this getting their comeuppance makes it even more delicious.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
haven't checked in with Gurm in a couple years, is the book out yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Refused posted:

Possibly.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Refused posted:

yes it's Wild Cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Refused posted:

You will need to be more specific.