Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Kylaer posted:

It's an honor to have you posting with us, governor.

My political career is over before it’s even started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hasselblad posted:

What are your views on Blazing Saddles? Tropic Thunder?

Blazing Saddles is obviously a classic. I remember Tropic Thunder being fairly entertaining for what it was, although I never really have a desire to revisit it and imagine it has aged pretty badly.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tropic thunder is still pretty great

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Imagine thinking you're making a good point by comparing Blazing Saddles, a movie that constantly punches up, to a Sandler movie.
I seriously don't know how dumb motherfuckers have to be to think that Blazing Saddles is funny because it uses the n-word and racial humor instead of thinking, even once, about how it uses that word and style of humor. It also features some real outdated gay stereotyping, so it's not exactly immaculate either.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TK-42-1 posted:

I love Tropic Thunder, though I can see how people have problems with it. It's definitely trying to ride that line of "making fun of people doing the thing by doing the thing".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

My political career is over before it’s even started.

At least you got to be the prime minister of Canada.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alhazred posted:

At least you got to be the prime minister of Canada.

Amazing how the guy who did black face and offensive cultural cosplay MULTIPLE TIMES was somehow not the most horrifyingly racist candidate running in that election :canada:

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Hasselblad posted:

What are your views on Blazing Saddles? Tropic Thunder?

That it would be a bad year to release either of those movies.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it was actually leaked details about Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix that brought Hollywood Accounting into the public light. That was before the Sony hack.

My point was that Sony would pay a large amount of money to prevent sensitive financial data that could be used against them.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

i didn't really think it was really that funny when it came out so :shrug:
better off with The Cable Guy imo

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

i didn't really think it was really that funny when it came out so :shrug:
better off with The Cable Guy imo

I watched it again last week at it made me laugh even harder than it did the first time. You could not film it today.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tropic Thunder was one of those movies that was immensely clever, well-constructed, and I agree that it's funny, but I never actually laughed once. I think "Hollywood doing Hollywood" just stopped being funny to me a long time ago.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love these stupid clickbait sites. But honestly this sounds like the normal musk/star citizen/etc mentality

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When was the “GRRM is not your bitch” quote originally said? 2008?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When was the “GRRM is not your bitch” quote originally said? 2008?

Close, 2009.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vw9RTVky4

Which eventually brought us this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
GRRM is not your bitch. HBO is GRRM's though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

gurm is def a bitch tho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are we sure GRRM doesn’t get physically stimulated by making his fans sad?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

N. Gaiman, whose TV adaptation dragged on and on and finally was never finished, and now you have to read the book to know how the story ends.

Makes u think.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

N. Gaiman, whose TV adaptation dragged on and on and finally was never finished, and now you have to read the book to know how the story ends.

Makes u think.

First time I ever read American Gods was the graphic novel adaptation which was pretty good, I feel.

I am somewhat dreading the Sandman TV adaptation. There's no way they can fit that thing into a satisfactory season format.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If Robert Smith doesn't have a cameo in Sandman then I hmm won't be happy. :mad:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wow I just read about the production of American Gods, sounds like a nightmare. They went through so many showrunners and the experience caused Gaiman to cut his deal with Freemantle and go to Amazon.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

I am somewhat dreading the Sandman TV adaptation. There's no way they can fit that thing into a satisfactory season format.

I'm baffled at how popular the audiobook adaptation is. A lot is missing when you don't have the visuals.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah a Sandman audiobook sounded really cool to me until I remembered "wait that one was a comic..."

Did he rewrite what's happening in the panels as scene description? Or literally just all the imagery is gone?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ccs posted:

Wow I just read about the production of American Gods, sounds like a nightmare. They went through so many showrunners and the experience caused Gaiman to cut his deal with Freemantle and go to Amazon.

Got a link? I loved the first season of American Gods but everything that went down after the initial showrunner left just wasted so much potential.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Got a link? I loved the first season of American Gods but everything that went down after the initial showrunner left just wasted so much potential.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-gods-canceled-at-starz

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ccs posted:

The season 1 to season 2 drop in quality of that show was amazing and heartbreaking.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It probably weird to be a creator and have one show running fairly smoothly at Amazon (Good Omens) and one show tripping over itself and falling down the stairs at Starz. I can completely understand being like "maybe I'll go change my deal over to these folks who seem to know what they're doing..."

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

Having limited familiarity with Sandman, I'm looking forward to it just for Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ccs posted:

Yeah a Sandman audiobook sounded really cool to me until I remembered "wait that one was a comic..."

Did he rewrite what's happening in the panels as scene description? Or literally just all the imagery is gone?

It's done more like an audio drama than an audiobook. Some of it is re-written for clarity's sake and Gaiman does some new narration, but it's mostly the same dialogue with sound effects. I'd say if you're going through the story for the first time to definitely read the comics, but the audiobook isn't bad for a re-read/listen. It's actually really soothing to listen to while going to sleep.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sandman is going to turn out fine enough, it's beloved and old enough that people on the production side will definitely "get it" and give it their all. The problem is that the main narrative throughline is honestly kind-of weak and the strengths come from the anthology format which teased out the background of the main narrative and made it feel more substantial. I'm sure everyone involved will do their best, but even "gently caress You" money isn't going to be able to bounce between the height of Augustus' Rome to fae England in the 16th Century to Revolution-era Paris to 19th Century San Fransisco to a fairytale Bagdhad-alike without some serious production shortchanges.

In other words I'm willing to bet everyone involved is banking on making a really good "Sound of Wings" and "Season of Mists" episodes, hoping that viral content carries them even though the whole is going to be rather weak.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

They can honestly skip a lot of the early DC comics character exposition, set the scene for a bit and then show the audience what Sandman is about with "24 hours". Sound of her wings will probably be good TV and then move onto "Collectors" from there.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ccs posted:

It probably weird to be a creator and have one show running fairly smoothly at Amazon (Good Omens) and one show tripping over itself and falling down the stairs at Starz. I can completely understand being like "maybe I'll go change my deal over to these folks who seem to know what they're doing..."

Good Omens is so drat good

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TK-42-1 posted:

Good Omens is so drat good

book yes, series no

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I enjoyed both.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

book yes, series no

the series has its faults but it’s still very enjoyable for what it is

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks!

I've never read Good Omens but if the ubiquity of gifs, fanart, etc on Tumblr from that show is any indication people really ate that poo poo up.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Good Omens the series was just OK. Given the source material and the actors, I expected a little more. David Tennant is good but never quite gets to go wild. The child actor scenes and the witch hunter scenes are a snooze.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They somehow managed to make Peter Stormare boring, not sure how you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

I've never read Good Omens but if the ubiquity of gifs, fanart, etc on Tumblr from that show is any indication people really ate that poo poo up.
Nah that just means David Tennant was in it and/or the show acknowledged that LGBTQ+ exists. The bar for young LGBTQ+ folk who want to watch something featuring "them" that isn't a depressing polemic about perseverance against oppression is actually quite low.