Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mermen is on there, but it's "merlings" on layer 3. It's not quite as great as the Varys one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Solice Kirsk posted:

Was it the Aztecs or Mayans that never bothered using wheels? Tech develops differently across civilizations, so if a world just never bothered with an industrial revolution then I could see it plugging along at the middle ages for several thousand years.

Speak of old slightly racist authors and mayan technology... Any one read Orson Scott Card's Postwatch Redemption? I enjoyed it when I was younger. I'm sure it is problematic in 100 different ways. People learn to use time travel but only for observation, ultimately trying to determine how to save the world from environmental collapse. One of the interesting twists is that Columbus was given fake visions by an alternative timeline "Postwatch" - because the only thing worse than the horror of colonization is what happened when the Aztecs ( or Mayans I don't remember ) successfully invaded the West. So now they have to fix the whole colonization gently caress up.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
varys merman is on layer 0 because it's true, its a fact.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TERFherder posted:

Speak of old slightly racist authors and mayan technology... Any one read Orson Scott Card's Postwatch Redemption? I enjoyed it when I was younger. I'm sure it is problematic in 100 different ways. People learn to use time travel but only for observation, ultimately trying to determine how to save the world from environmental collapse. One of the interesting twists is that Columbus was given fake visions by an alternative timeline "Postwatch" - because the only thing worse than the horror of colonization is what happened when the Aztecs ( or Mayans I don't remember ) successfully invaded the West. So now they have to fix the whole colonization gently caress up.

I’m loving shocked a Mormon writer found a way to claim colonization was a good thing, especially the one who argued Hitler was a moral person

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Stephen King did the same with the JFK assassination in 11/22/63. It's like, really? You're gonna try to say this shitheap is somehow the best timeline we could have?

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
In the book's original timeline Columbus leads a new crusade to capture the Holy Land which leaves Europe weakened and eventually overrun by the Aztecs.

The Aztec conquest of Europe and the European conquest of the Americas (orchestrated by an alternate Pastwatch who send Columbus a vision that convinces him to sail west instead of leading a crusade) both lead to a future of environmental exploitation and collapse.

The Pastwatch characters that the book is about avert that future collapse by innoculating the Aztecs against European diseases and accelerating their metallurgy so they can meet Columbus on equal terms and they all live happily ever after together.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TERFherder posted:

Does no one remember loyal Ty?

Ty served his years before the GRRM mast and is now on the cusp of publishing his final volume in his and his co-author's 9 book epic sci-fi saga, The Expanse. Eight books of which came out in the time since A Dance with Dragons was published. (Leviathan Wakes beat ADWD to book stores by a month).

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

sunday at work posted:

In the book's original timeline Columbus leads a new crusade to capture the Holy Land which leaves Europe weakened and eventually overrun by the Aztecs.

The Aztec conquest of Europe and the European conquest of the Americas (orchestrated by an alternate Pastwatch who send Columbus a vision that convinces him to sail west instead of leading a crusade) both lead to a future of environmental exploitation and collapse.

The Pastwatch characters that the book is about avert that future collapse by innoculating the Aztecs against European diseases and accelerating their metallurgy so they can meet Columbus on equal terms and they all live happily ever after together.

Sounds like a lot of trouble could be saved by just killing Columbus

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One one hand it’s the 10th anniversary of the show. On the other hand well, hope springs eternal.

https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/1382390104124239874

In July it will legitimately be 10 years since the Absolute Fucker published a main-line ASoIaF book.

TowerofOil posted:

Sounds like a lot of trouble could be saved by just killing Columbus

Eh, the Great Man theory of history is bullshit.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

pseudanonymous posted:

the one who argued Hitler was a moral person
If you are referring to Ender's Game, I'd disagree with this. Other people claimed it was an apologia for Hitler, which Card denied, saying he set up Ender to be the complete opposite of Hitler. Card wants to talk about the role of "intention" and moral guilt, but other people are digging into the whole "Superman" and "Genocide" thing going on. It's an interesting discussion.

nine-gear crow posted:

Ty served his years before the GRRM mast and is now on the cusp of publishing his final volume in his and his co-author's 9 book epic sci-fi saga, The Expanse. Eight books of which came out in the time since A Dance with Dragons was published. (Leviathan Wakes beat ADWD to book stores by a month).

Good for him. Just goes to show that good employees are hard to find, and that you need to find a way to keep them around. Or from escaping your dungeon.

kalvanoo posted:

varys merman is on layer 0 because it's true, its a fact.

Tru dat. I saw one about Reese castrating Theon. Did uh.. did he just cut off his dick and leave his balls? Is this canon?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TERFherder posted:

If you are referring to Ender's Game, I'd disagree with this. Other people claimed it was an apologia for Hitler, which Card denied, saying he set up Ender to be the complete opposite of Hitler. Card wants to talk about the role of "intention" and moral guilt, but other people are digging into the whole "Superman" and "Genocide" thing going on. It's an interesting discussion.

Good for him. Just goes to show that good employees are hard to find, and that you need to find a way to keep them around. Or from escaping your dungeon.

Tru dat. I saw one about Reese castrating Theon. Did uh.. did he just cut off his dick and leave his balls? Is this canon?

in the show someone kicked him between the legs a few times and it didn't affect him, so no balls

i don't recall if the novelization went into specifics

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Like getting kicked in your genital mutilation wound wouldn't hurt like gently caress.

I felt that scene was paying homage to that scene from King of the Hill when Bobby tries to kick Peggy in the nuts.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Like getting kicked in your genital mutilation wound wouldn't hurt like gently caress.

I felt that scene was paying homage to that scene from King of the Hill when Bobby tries to kick Peggy in the nuts.

yeah

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If there's something I'd want my mega-successful "serious" and "adult" franchise to do at a critical moment in battle, it's remind people of a 20 year-old moment from a cartoon.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

KotH was the better show by that point in GoT so

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TERFherder posted:

Card is a really lovely writer, and just because he didn't intend to create an apologia for Hitler doesn't mean it isn't. Tolkein has repeatedly claimed he wasn't a racist but have you read the Lord of the Rings? Sometimes people put things into work they don't even know they are doing consciously.

Also, you know, Card is a liar and a terrible loving person, but even he isn't going to come out and say "oh yeah this book was written in defense of hitler" or his unlimited supply of magical underwear money would probably slow down.

So you know, you kind of have to be a bit careful taking the word of a writer about their own work at face value, let alone a bad one, let alone a bad Mormon one, let alone Orson Scott Card.

Though tbh I tend to believe the theory he didn't really write the book.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

sunday at work posted:

This is so dumb and logically incoherent. Did the Aztecs taking Europe also then immediately die to our diseases? Because if not, this is pure nonsense. Apparently in timeline A, the Aztecs were perfectly fine contacting Europeans and advanced fast enough to go to a vastly different climate and defeat the population of an entire continent.

You'd think innoculating those magical Super-Aztecs and accelerating their technological progress would just lead to Europe falling even faster. But nope.

Never mind that both Mayans (cyclical collapse, mostly gone by the point Europeans show up) and Aztecs (unstable tribal coalition wrecked by rebellions and close to breaking) are the worst South American civilizations an author could choose. At that point why not go full blast insanity and make the destroyers of Christianity be the Inca? At least their empire was somewhat stable and still growing before European diseases coming from the first point of contact reached them and wrecked them completely.

I think as a writer, if you want to use stuff from real life, you should do your due diligence and at least look up some modern sources to make sure you aren't writing total bullshit. But apparently that's not like how Orson Scott Card rolls, yikes. :psyduck:

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

pseudanonymous posted:

Card is a really lovely writer, and just because he didn't intend to create an apologia for Hitler doesn't mean it isn't. Tolkein has repeatedly claimed he wasn't a racist but have you read the Lord of the Rings? Sometimes people put things into work they don't even know they are doing consciously.

Also, you know, Card is a liar and a terrible loving person, but even he isn't going to come out and say "oh yeah this book was written in defense of hitler" or his unlimited supply of magical underwear money would probably slow down.

So you know, you kind of have to be a bit careful taking the word of a writer about their own work at face value, let alone a bad one, let alone a bad Mormon one, let alone Orson Scott Card.

Though tbh I tend to believe the theory he didn't really write the book.

quote:

Sometimes people put things into work they don't even know they are doing consciously.
Fair enough. I still think it is a real stretch to say it is an apologia for Hitler, or justification for any genocide. In the first book, the main character is tricked into fighting a war, which culminates with the presumed xenocide of an alien race. Humans destroying alien species is pretty common fodder for sci-fi books, and is usually an indication of how lovely we are. Here it is no different - the main character is horrified with what he has done, and how he has been used. He sees his only chance at moral redemption is to ensure that the Xenocide isn't complete. It would be as if Hitler somehow didn't know he was killing jews the whole time, won the war, and then escaped to Argentina and spent the rest of his days single-handedly ensuring the survival of the Jewish people.

I can see how this might be an apologia for people who fought in the war, or supported the war. In particular it speaks to me of the scientists that created nuclear weapons, but that was just my take away. But it could apply to pretty much anything - that we support corporations that destroy species every day. Or pay taxes that go to bombing hospitals overseas. That people just follow orders, and the bigger picture is rarely a concern. But if I believe this is what the author is implying, then the second part of that HAS to be - I must do everything I can do to fix it. Oh, and that my name will be forever associated with these crimes, a loving horror story passed down through the generations.

The main theme of these books IMHO is the question of what it means to be "human". The other sentient species in the series include soft shelled ant people, ewoks that turn into trees, an AI that exists in the sum of human's computers, and a virus that converts everything it infects into the same lifecycle/ecosystem as itself. The author is clearly saying that all of these have a rightful place in the universe, and that war between them is due to lack of communication. These books are literally about seeing the "other" as ourselves/human. Seeing as how Mormons were persecuted in America, I think the more "threatening" view he promotes is that these other groups _should_ be allowed to continue, even though they represent a threat to our existence. In these books, it is the stupid short-sighted people who want to isolate / contain / destroy the other species.

Also the main character is a total cuck and ends up in some sad sexless marriage raising another man's kids. In a series that focuses on propagating our DNA, Ender really is the end of his line.

So I don't know - if you can take from that an apologia for Hitler, more power to you.

quote:

Also, you know, Card is a liar and a terrible loving person

I know he is homophobic, which isn't too surprising considering his age and religion. And his whole "Obama is a dictator, working to destroy America" is pretty sad and misinformed. I'm not sure that makes him a terrible loving person though. I think his position on homosexuality stands in stark contrast to the theme of the Xenocide books, which is focused on inclusion rather than exclusion.

quote:

or his unlimited supply of magical underwear money...let alone a bad Mormon one..

Is he a terrible person because he's Mormon? Because that is some pretty narrow minded crap right there.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Card campaigned for criminalization of homosexuality and reverted to “only” campaigning against gay marriage some time in the 00s. And I mean campaigned - wrote essays, chaired committees of bigoted organizations, that kind of active involvement.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Card campaigned for criminalization of homosexuality and reverted to “only” campaigning against gay marriage some time in the 00s. And I mean campaigned - wrote essays, chaired committees of bigoted organizations, that kind of active involvement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p44bc2CSAI

yeah ok that is pretty terrible.

TERFherder fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 19, 2021

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Orson Scott Card: The Hypocrites of Homosexuality posted:

Within the Church, the young person who experiments with homosexual behavior should be counseled with, not excommunicated. But as the adolescent moves into adulthood and continues to engage in sinful practices far beyond the level of experimentation, then the consequences within the Church must grow more severe and more long-lasting; unfortunately, they may also be more public as well.

This applies also to the polity, the citizens at large. :siren:Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.:siren:

The goal of the polity is not to put homosexuals in jail. The goal is to discourage people from engaging in homosexual practices in the first place, and, when they nevertheless proceed in their homosexual behavior, to encourage them to do so discreetly, so as not to shake the confidence of the community in the polity's ability to provide rules for safe, stable, dependable marriage and family relationships.

Those who would be members of a community must sacrifice the satisfaction of some of their individual desires in order to maintain the existence of that community. They must, in other words, obey the rules that define what that community is. Those who are not willing or able to obey the rules should honestly admit the fact and withdraw from membership.

Thus, just as America, a democratic society, is under no obligation to preserve some imagined "right" of citizens who wish to use their freedom to overthrow that democracy and institute tyranny, so likewise the LDS church, which is founded on the idea that the word of God as revealed through his prophets should determine the behavior of the Saints, is under no obligation to protect some supposed "right" of those members who would like to persuade us that neither God nor the prophets has the authority to regulate them.

If the Church has no the authority to tell its members that they may not engage in homosexual practices, then it has no authority at all. And if we accept the argument of the hypocrites of homosexuality that their sin is not a sin, we have destroyed ourselves.

Orson Scott Card in the preface to The Hypocrites of Homosexuality, covering his gigantic moon-sized rear end with a piece of kleenex posted:

This essay was published in February of 1990, in the following context: The Supreme Court had declared in 1986 (Bowers v. Hardwick) that a Georgia law prohibiting sodomy even in the privacy of one's own home was constitutional. I was also writing this essay to a conservative Mormon audience that at the time would have felt no interest in decriminalizing homosexual acts. In that context, my call to "leave the laws on the books" was simply recognizing the law at that time, and my call to not enforce it except in flagrant cases was actually, within that context, a liberal and tolerant view -- for which I was roundly criticized in conservative Mormon circles as being "pro-gay." Those who now use this essay to attack me as a "homophobe" deceptively ignore the context and treat the essay as if I had written it yesterday afternoon. That is absurd -- now that the law has changed (the decision was overturned in 2003) I have no interest in criminalizing homosexual acts and would never call for such a thing, any more than I wanted such laws enforced back when they were still on the books. But I stand by the main points of this essay, which concerns matters internal to the Mormon Church.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

An insane man posted:

Society's regulation of sexual behaviour.

Holy poo poo

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Orson Scott Card also did this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlet%27s_Father

quote:

Hamlet's Father is a 2008 novella by Orson Scott Card, which retells the story of Shakespeare's Hamlet in modernist prose, and which makes several changes to the characters' motivations and backstory. It has drawn substantial criticism for its portrayal of King Hamlet as a pedophile who molested Laertes, Horatio, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and implication that this in turn made them homosexuals.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Lost Boys (1992), which Card describes as his most personal novel, is also a dire dirge of troubling opinions, and looking at his bibliography marks the point where quality of his fiction goes into precipitous decline. It pads out an earlier story with boring expository sequences about Mormon family life, a fuckton of petty score settling against people Card judges to be defective parents and guardians of children, and an incredibly gross subplot where his stand in character decides his red herring pedophile co-worker isn't so bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TERFherder posted:

Any one read Orson Scott Card's

No. The only thing he could write of value is an announcement that he's withdrawing from society forever.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Libluini posted:

This is so dumb and logically incoherent. Did the Aztecs taking Europe also then immediately die to our diseases? Because if not, this is pure nonsense. Apparently in timeline A, the Aztecs were perfectly fine contacting Europeans and advanced fast enough to go to a vastly different climate and defeat the population of an entire continent.

You'd think innoculating those magical Super-Aztecs and accelerating their technological progress would just lead to Europe falling even faster. But nope.

Never mind that both Mayans (cyclical collapse, mostly gone by the point Europeans show up) and Aztecs (unstable tribal coalition wrecked by rebellions and close to breaking) are the worst South American civilizations an author could choose. At that point why not go full blast insanity and make the destroyers of Christianity be the Inca? At least their empire was somewhat stable and still growing before European diseases coming from the first point of contact reached them and wrecked them completely.

I think as a writer, if you want to use stuff from real life, you should do your due diligence and at least look up some modern sources to make sure you aren't writing total bullshit. But apparently that's not like how Orson Scott Card rolls, yikes. :psyduck:
Probably because the Aztecs are the only guys in the area who actually had a society that was in any way frightening. Even the Spanish colonizers considered Incan society utopian in its standard of living. Well maintained safe roads, state provided food that actually fed everyone, and even incorporating local religions as they expanded rather than stamping them out. It's only real problems were either the result of small pox or failing to figure out a stable succession for their kings.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is why JK Rowling still has a ways to go to destroy her legacy as bad as Card but dammit if she’s not trying.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Just a reminder to all you remaining Sanderson fans, he is Orson Scott Card's protege.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

Just a reminder to all you remaining Sanderson fans, he is Orson Scott Card's protege.

I’m not a big Sanderson fan but I can understand why as a young writer he would gravitate towards to biggest Mormon name in speculative fiction at the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's basically that or the guy who wrote the DOOM novelizations in the 90s, am I right?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I vaguely remember something about the DOOM novelizations but I can't figure out what or why so I'll assume they're either comically bad or completely unhinged and having nothing to do with the actual game, and either way that's better than season 8.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Desert Bus posted:

Ccs posted:

I’m not a big Sanderson fan but I can understand why as a young writer he would gravitate towards to biggest Mormon name in speculative fiction at the time.

He's also distanced himself from Card a LOT since then. He used to bring up Card a lot in the early days of his Writing Excuses podcast, now every idea that he used to always attribute to Card is curiously scrubbed of Card's name and role in its genesis. He also realized around the time Card went very hard and publicly mask off that maybe he should have more than just three Mormon dudes and maybe one randomly appearing guest who is also a Mormon dude on all the time and diversified the host pool significantly.

But yes, I know this sub has an enteral raging hate boner for Sanderson, so whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I vaguely remember something about the DOOM novelizations but I can't figure out what or why so I'll assume they're either comically bad or completely unhinged and having nothing to do with the actual game, and either way that's better than season 8.

Oh, please don't tell me anything bad about the Doom books, I loved those when I was a kid. The first book was based entirely on the game -- it's about a US marine whose team gets blown up by the initial demon invasion on Mars, and he spends the book roaming around the UAC facility, finding guns and killing monsters and trying to figure out what's happening and whether any of his squad survived. It was less mindless than it sounds though, they gave him a pretty interesting backstory with flashbacks to how he grew up in a broken home and found a family (also kinda broken) in the military, and how and why he finally snapped and attacked his superior officer who was ordering them to commit war crimes.

But then (and this is just the story I heard) apparently the publishers came back to the author and said "hey, this is great, we want more books" and the author said "well, I've already run through the entire game in the first book, I'll write more but it's gonna be completely original from here on out." And so the next three books are his own fairly-interesting story about how the Doom marine heads to earth to find out that the demons have already attacked and the governments of the world capitulated, and he helps the resistance and eventually goes back to space to meet up with friendly aliens and take the fight to the demons, and a lot of cool sci-fi poo poo happens. They were a lot of fun and surprisingly weighty and well-thought-out for a book series about a video game entirely about shooting monsters. I still remember them fondly so I'd prefer not to know Dafydd ab Hugh was a secret sex criminal or something.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Phenotype posted:

Oh, please don't tell me anything bad about the Doom books, I loved those when I was a kid. The first book was based entirely on the game -- it's about a US marine whose team gets blown up by the initial demon invasion on Mars, and he spends the book roaming around the UAC facility, finding guns and killing monsters and trying to figure out what's happening and whether any of his squad survived. It was less mindless than it sounds though, they gave him a pretty interesting backstory with flashbacks to how he grew up in a broken home and found a family (also kinda broken) in the military, and how and why he finally snapped and attacked his superior officer who was ordering them to commit war crimes.

But then (and this is just the story I heard) apparently the publishers came back to the author and said "hey, this is great, we want more books" and the author said "well, I've already run through the entire game in the first book, I'll write more but it's gonna be completely original from here on out." And so the next three books are his own fairly-interesting story about how the Doom marine heads to earth to find out that the demons have already attacked and the governments of the world capitulated, and he helps the resistance and eventually goes back to space to meet up with friendly aliens and take the fight to the demons, and a lot of cool sci-fi poo poo happens. They were a lot of fun and surprisingly weighty and well-thought-out for a book series about a video game entirely about shooting monsters. I still remember them fondly so I'd prefer not to know Dafydd ab Hugh was a secret sex criminal or something.

I read those as a kid too. Loved them. Unfortunately, ended on a bit of a cliffhanger if I'm remembering correctly.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I read those as a kid too. Loved them. Unfortunately, ended on a bit of a cliffhanger if I'm remembering correctly.

I felt that way too the first time I read them, but it was a pretty good place to wrap up the series, although there were definitely places for the story to go if they ever wanted a 5th book. The ending had a lot of unknowns but they had dealt with the major threats and it left everyone in a pretty good place for a hopeful future.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nine-gear crow posted:

But yes, I know this sub has an enteral raging hate boner for Sanderson, so whatever.

While also loving writers like Joe Abercrombie whose original trilogy on top of being mediocre had the middle eastern empire be full of literal inhuman monsters.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

While also loving writers like Joe Abercrombie whose original trilogy on top of being mediocre had the middle eastern empire be full of literal inhuman monsters.

His books are fun.

Sanderson writes Wikipedia entries for a living in a made up world made up from his already laughably made up worldview and then cheats at his own made up rules. Also his prose style is too prolix.

Abercrombie did some offensive poo poo and some lazy poo poo. Gurkish? Are you kidding me? This is the Doman empire lol. His prose isn’t amazing but it’s not a slog. And it’s fun.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Haven't bothered with Abercrombie and Sanderson seems like a genuinely nice dude, but yeah I've tried and just can't get into anything he writes. That's not a knock or hate-boner though, I just tend to glaze tf over whenever any author tries to write a lot of physical action and isn't insanely good at it. This includes authors I otherwise really like (looking at you, Iain M. Banks).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Haven't bothered with Abercrombie and Sanderson seems like a genuinely nice dude, but yeah I've tried and just can't get into anything he writes. That's not a knock or hate-boner though, I just tend to glaze tf over whenever any author tries to write a lot of physical action and isn't insanely good at it. This includes authors I otherwise really like (looking at you, Iain M. Banks).

Yeah, I met Sanderson once for like five seconds after like a 2 hour long line wait at a book signing once and he seemed really pleasant. I used to listen to his writing podcast a lot and he came across as a genuinely warm and funny dude who was actually like super liberal for a Mormon and tried not to let his religious biases effect his writing where he could help it. That said I've barely read any of his stuff, so I don't know what he's like as an author, but as a person he's pretty cool so I'm always kinda puzzled as to "wait, why does TBB loving hate this guy?"

Maybe if I actually sit down and read Mistborn, I'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kinda random but while I never read the Doom novelizations, I totally freaking ADORED the trilogy of Myst books that came out in the '90s, I thought those were freaking brilliant and as far as "books based on video games" go is more or less my gold standard.