Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
 
  • Post
  • Reply
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011




I met both Sanderson and Abercrombie at comic cons ages ago and both were very pleasant. I really liked Way of Kings back then and showed Sanderson some fan art and he was very effusive in his praise.

For those who are split on both of the above I highly recommend Christopher Buehlman. He writes some amazing horror that can also qualify as fantasy (Between Two Fires, The Necromancerís House) and has his first full fantasy book coming out in May. Heís got the things I love about Abercrombie with some elements of the high fantasy of Sanderson and is better at prose than either. Case in point, Sanderson and Abercrombie donít really experiment with their style much, even though they do try to write in different settings and sub-genres (like how Red Country is fantasy but as a western.) Buehlman varies his style massively between books, very consciously altering it to fit the subject matter and tone. And itís great every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

DON'T DOUBLE DOWN ON YOUR STUPID SHIT JUST CAUSE YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY. YOU MAKE STUPID FUCKING DECISIONS ALL THE TIME THEN DOUBLE DOWN LIKE A PETULANT CHILD. GOD I FUCKING HATE YOU SO MUCH SOMETIMES.

I read Mistborn and the Stormlight books recently. He doesnít know what to do with the middle of his books but I genuinely think he makes some cool worlds. Iíve read a lot worse.

BananaNutkins
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.


Brandon is cool but he has a total disregard for prose. I like the story being told for the most part, and the fantasy world and magic stuff is consistently engaging. His characters in Stormlight are mostly stock PoV, and when he tries something different (Shallan, Venli) they can be annoying. But I can't imagine being an audiobook narrator being confronted with something like this passage: (spoilers for Rhythm of War)Kaladin hesitated, spear held toward Moash’s throat. He could end the man. Should end the man. Why did he hesitate?
Moash … had been his friend. They’d spent hours by the fire, talking about their lives. Kaladin had opened his heart to this man, in ways he hadn’t to most of the others. He’d told Moash, like Teft and Rock, of Tien. Of Roshone. Of his fears.
Moash wasn’t just a friend though. He was beyond that a member of Bridge Four. Kaladin had sworn to the storms and the heavens above—if anyone was there watching—that he’d protect those men.
Kaladin had failed Moash. As soundly as he’d failed Dunny, Mart, and Jaks. And of them all, losing Moash hurt the most. Because in those callous eyes, Kaladin saw himself.


Also, every chapter begins identically. Open any chapter of any Sanderson book and 80% of the time the format of the first sentence is "PoV character strode/walked/ran toward/away from something." The other 20% of the time it's "PoV character verbed something, thinking about something.

In text form I can skim, but it's unlistenable in audio. This isnt even Goodkind-level prose.

Kylaer
Aug 3, 2007


Phenotype posted:

But then (and this is just the story I heard) apparently the publishers came back to the author and said "hey, this is great, we want more books" and the author said "well, I've already run through the entire game in the first book, I'll write more but it's gonna be completely original from here on out." And so the next three books are his own fairly-interesting story about how the Doom marine heads to earth to find out that the demons have already attacked and the governments of the world capitulated, and he helps the resistance and eventually goes back to space to meet up with friendly aliens and take the fight to the demons, and a lot of cool sci-fi poo poo happens. They were a lot of fun and surprisingly weighty and well-thought-out for a book series about a video game entirely about shooting monsters. I still remember them fondly so I'd prefer not to know Dafydd ab Hugh was a secret sex criminal or something.

Based on a recommendation that I thiiiink was from this thread years ago, or an earlier iteration of it, I read the book Crysis: Legion, which did a surprising job of sidelining the "shooting aliens" core of the game and made it more a story about consciousness and body horror. There was a really clever scene in which the protagonist realizes he can hear the heartbeat of every other living thing around him, but he can't hear his own. Not an A-list book but a solid B-tier, worth a read.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011




BananaNutkins posted:

Brandon is cool but he has a total disregard for prose. I like the story being told for the most part, and the fantasy world and magic stuff is consistently engaging. His characters in Stormlight are mostly stock PoV, and when he tries something different (Shallan, Venli) they can be annoying. But I can't imagine being an audiobook narrator being confronted with something like this passage: (spoilers for Rhythm of War)Kaladin hesitated, spear held toward Moash’s throat. He could end the man. Should end the man. Why did he hesitate?
Moash … had been his friend. They’d spent hours by the fire, talking about their lives. Kaladin had opened his heart to this man, in ways he hadn’t to most of the others. He’d told Moash, like Teft and Rock, of Tien. Of Roshone. Of his fears.
Moash wasn’t just a friend though. He was beyond that a member of Bridge Four. Kaladin had sworn to the storms and the heavens above—if anyone was there watching—that he’d protect those men.
Kaladin had failed Moash. As soundly as he’d failed Dunny, Mart, and Jaks. And of them all, losing Moash hurt the most. Because in those callous eyes, Kaladin saw himself.


Also, every chapter begins identically. Open any chapter of any Sanderson book and 80% of the time the format of the first sentence is "PoV character strode/walked/ran toward/away from something." The other 20% of the time it's "PoV character verbed something, thinking about something.

In text form I can skim, but it's unlistenable in audio. This isnt even Goodkind-level prose.

The thing I donít understand is donít these big authors have a ton of beta readers and special attention from editors for feedback? If I posted that passage to a writing crit group I would get flagged immediately for repetition and lack of flow. Surely one of his beta readers has an ear for sentence rhythm and would ask to consider rewording.

Unless he has one of those rules with his readers that theyíre allowed to give feedback on plot/character/logic but not prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018



pseudanonymous posted:

His books are fun.

Sanderson writes Wikipedia entries for a living in a made up world made up from his already laughably made up worldview and then cheats at his own made up rules. Also his prose style is too prolix.

Abercrombie did some offensive poo poo and some lazy poo poo. Gurkish? Are you kidding me? This is the Doman empire lol. His prose isnít amazing but itís not a slog. And itís fun.

lmao

lazy people who make money from nerds should be praised

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply