Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

In It For The Tank posted:

I only started reading ASOIAF in 2012, and this made me feel super loving old. I feel sorry for everyone who has been waiting even longer than me.

It’s ridiculous fun reading the comments on Reddit that are full of variations of “I had just met my new girlfriend. We’re now married and have a kid in the 3rd grade.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s ridiculous fun reading the comments on Reddit that are full of variations of “I had just met my new girlfriend. We’re now married and have a kid in the 3rd grade.”

Hopefully the kid isn't one of the many unfortunate children named Khalessi. At least those girls whose idiot parents named them Daenyrs can just go by Dany and claim it's short for Danielle and not a reference to fantasy Dragon Hilter.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it still that dude's bare rear end on a block of ice?

e: I misremembered it, it's her bare icy rear end.

Didn't know what you were talking about until I looked further down the google search and found the picture under "Corpse Queen"

mildly NSFW for :c00lbutt: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Corpse_queen

Then there's this picture in the section for Night's Queen. Looks pretty cool despite the :anime: :

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Night%27s_Queen

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

I only started reading ASOIAF in 2012, and this made me feel super loving old. I feel sorry for everyone who has been waiting even longer than me.

You know those "Get 5 books for (x units of your local currency) at a super cheap rate, then just order 1 book a month thereafter" subscriptions that used to be a thing.

I got, and read the first Game of Thrones book in one of those offers.

In 1997. :psyduck:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

You know those "Get 5 books for (x units of your local currency) at a super cheap rate, then just order 1 book a month thereafter" subscriptions that used to be a thing.

Hahaha you dumb bastard.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Deptfordx posted:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I started reading the series in...early 2001, I think, when aSoS was still a recent release. The big reason I started reading it was that it had been recommended to me as being better than Wheel of Time, with less time between books :hmmyes:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

2006 here, started in a train station. On/off starts until finishing with the ADWD release. Haven't touched a word since.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I started just after season one aired. I was working in a bookstore at the time and while I liked fantasy novels, a lot of them were TOO high fantasy for me and I thought ASOIAF would be too. My friend watched the show and recommended it to me, so I gave it a shot. I haven't had you wait nearly as long as you guys, but I still managed to get in a cross country move, get married, and changed careers twice between reading ADWD and now. Shits crazy.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I gave permission for someone to spoil me on AffC four years or so after it came out thinking I would never read the series (and the dude wanted to have a rant / conversation). I should've left it at that!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I had friends reading the series in highschool, around 2007, but I never picked up the books until university. So i probably started reading them in 2009 or so.

My girlfriend in college was a big fan of the series and we watched the early seasons and really enjoyed them. Never found out what she thought of the ending haha.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

In the alt universe where there are new books, I would kill for a spinoff about the numerous (mis) adventures of Oberyn Martell

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Late 2005 here. Affc just got released. MEANWHILE ON THE WALL

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kellanved posted:

Late 2005 here. Affc just got released. MEANWHILE ON THE WALL

He said the next half of the story would be out in one year. I won’t pretend I even knew ASOIAF existed at the time thank god for that but I’ll always love that.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe I said it here already, but I started the series right befire FfC, got really excited and ordered it Day One, then my idiot bookshop screwed up the order and I had to wait A WHOLE MONTH to read the book. Felt like like such bullshit at the time for a sweet summer child like me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm going to break into GRRM's office, relearn how to use DOS, download the five sentences for Winds that he has completed, and PM all of you spoilers.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm going to break into GRRM's office, relearn how to use DOS, download the five sentences for Winds that he has completed, and PM all of you spoilers.

neeps on a nuncle!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The winds of the winter.

Those wintery winds that came to Westeros.

The winds, those being of winter of course.

Those winds had come to Westeros.

Yes those winds, those winter winds.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I dreamed a dream of spring gone by
When hope was high and books releasing
I dreamed that Jon would never die
I dreamed that GRRM would be forgiving

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Ten more years
Ten more years
And on the tenth anniversary
We found out
Just what GRRM is

An absolute fucker :ssh:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Say hypothetically that the estate of Grumm cobbles together something from his notes when he dies and sells it for money.

Where would that leave the story? Dany still sharting in Essos and maybe the end of Stannis I guess, the stuff from the later seasons slip from memory as I try to recall it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Say hypothetically that the estate of Grumm cobbles together something from his notes when he dies and sells it for money.

Where would that leave the story? Dany still sharting in Essos and maybe the end of Stannis I guess, the stuff from the later seasons slip from memory as I try to recall it.

It's a good thing Gurm doesn't have kids or there's gonna be 25 books about the adventures of Young Griff and a detailed backstory about the battle of the bells in 2 encyclopedic volumes.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

mind the walrus posted:

The winds of the winter.

Those wintery winds that came to Westeros.

The winds, those being of winter of course.

Those winds had come to Westeros.

Yes those winds, those winter winds.

A cold wind rose in Winterfell. The peasants called them winds of Winter. The wind was not the beginni...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Words are wind.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

There’s probably like 800 manuscript pages of something that could be cobbled together and named “Winds of Winter.” Beside that I am absolutely positive that there are no notes or outlines to be found. GRRM’s entire “gardener” approach really doesn’t allow it.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

It's a good thing Gurm doesn't have kids or there's gonna be 25 books about the adventures of Young Griff and a detailed backstory about the battle of the bells in 2 encyclopedic volumes.

What if he testaments everything to those two that helped him keep track of stuff?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He said the next half of the story would be out in one year. I won’t pretend I even knew ASOIAF existed at the time thank god for that but I’ll always love that.

IIRC what he actually said was that the book was done but was too large, so it would have to be released as 2 books separately. And only then did we realize he never wrote any of the other characters yet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

IIRC what he actually said was that the book was done but was too large, so it would have to be released as 2 books separately. And only then did we realize he never wrote any of the other characters yet.

Yeah, the whole "Meanwhile, at the Wall..." thing basically claimed that he wrote so much that he realized it would never fit into a single book, so at a certain point he decided to just split the POVs, but don't worry because he already had written like an entire half of another book, so he could totally get it done in the next year or so.

Then 5 years later he released Dance and was all "well I couldn't just leave you hanging on what happened with Arya's cliffhanger for 10 whole years!"...which he had already done with Tyrion, Jon and Dany by the time he finally released Dance...and which now it's been another 10 full years since Jon's even bigger cliffhanger lmao

Edit: here is the text for those that don't have their copy of AFFC handy:

GRRRM posted:

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE WALL . . .

Hey, wait a minute!" some of you may be saying about now. "Wait a minute, wait a minute! Where's Dany and the dragons? Where's Tyrion? We hardly saw Jon Snow. That can't be all of it. . . ."

Well, no. There's more to come. Another book as big as this one.

I did not forget to write about the other characters. Far from it. I wrote lots about them. Pages and pages and pages. Chapters and more chapters. I was still writing when it dawned on me that the book had become too big to publish in a single volume . . . and I wasn't close to finished yet. To tell all of the story that I wanted to tell, I was going to have to cut the book in two.

The simplest way to do that would have been to take what I had, chop it in half around the middle, and end with "To Be Continued ." The more I thought about that, however, the more I felt that the readers would be better served by a book that told all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. So that's the route I chose to take.

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davos Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance with Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King's Landing.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 3, 2021

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I read that at the time as meaning that the next part was basically done and figured I'd had to wait a year or two for editing(lol), printing and so on.

Considering Feast and Dance as two parts of the same book, it actually took him 11 years to write which means that even if he was actually writing, considering the slowing pace between books the theoretical release date of Winds is still years away (it will never come out while Railroad lives)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys this is the bad thread, Feast and Dance are two thirds of an unfinished book.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ADWD only even came out at all because the publishers still had power over him at the time and basically grabbed the manuscript out of his hands right? Because lmao that he had to cut out not one but two climactic battles. Like 1/3 of Winds will be stuff that was meant to be in the last book.

This series needs 8 books minimum lol

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Other than the Aeron chapter, which was just a bit weird, every excerpt released by Gurm in cons was either pointless or bad. The Arya one was impressively awful. Like, fanfiction level kinds of terrible.

So my guess is that whatever he has written until this point is just filler he is trying to prop up with the few events he can fit into the narrative. Dany being walked to Vaes Dothrak. Tyrion getting acquanted in the storytelling morass that is Mereen. Sam emptying bedpans back in school while something creeeepy happens in the background. Maaaaybe Jon Snow waking up in a hidden cellar as the very last thing that happens.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=482#post382133813

ZeeBoi posted:

Here's the thing: A Dance with Dragons finally comes out, everyone devours that book within a day, and then... you wait another decade for The Winds of Winter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers brought forth on this forum a new thread, concieved in hatred and dedicated to the proposition that that fat gently caress is never going to finish the goddamn book.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that thread or any thread so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their accounts that that thread might remain ungassed. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this, because the book still isn't out and GRRM has yet to die.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

there, I fulfilled a prophecy unlike GRRM who will never write the conclusion to any of his

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah, the whole "Meanwhile, at the Wall..." thing basically claimed that he wrote so much that he realized it would never fit into a single book, so at a certain point he decided to just split the POVs, but don't worry because he already had written like an entire half of another book, so he could totally get it done in the next year or so.

Then 5 years later he released Dance and was all "well I couldn't just leave you hanging on what happened with Arya's cliffhanger for 10 whole years!"...which he had already done with Tyrion, Jon and Dany by the time he finally released Dance...and which now it's been another 10 full years since Jon's even bigger cliffhanger lmao

Edit: here is the text for those that don't have their copy of AFFC handy:

I prebooked ADWD based on this phrase. 5 years later my bookshop asked me “you have prebooked this book for five years, do you still want it”.
I should have taken the hint.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Irish Revenge, Sep 26, 2008 posted:

I don't understand what the hell this guy is doing. I have not read a Feast for Crows yet. because I was told in this thread it would probably be better to wait until ADWD is out and read them back to back, and AFFC is too slow. So for two years now I've been waiting for this loving book to come out. Once every couple months I check his blog to see if there's an update. And every time I'm disappointed to see that he still hasn't finished, yet he's had time to gently caress around with the dozens of "side" projects he has going on and all the other ridiculous poo poo. A TV show, I can understand. Some conventions, sure. But what is with the dozens of other projects? How about not spending time writing comic books and work on the drat book?

I know a lot of these side projects are developed by other people and he's not spending hours a day on, but why doesn't this guy go to an island in the Caribbean for a month and get some loving work cranked out on ADWD?! YOU ARE GOING TO DIE SOON. I don't think there is any way he will finish all seven books and the last one will be some poo poo written by someone else.

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just had to vent a bit.

Wheee, Feb 5, 2009 posted:

Killroy posted:

He's got all the money he'll ever need, he's got Paris, and he's got Wildcards. I really don't think he gives as hit about A Song of Ice and Fire anymore.
Know where that money came from?

Us.

Book One of A Song of Ice and Fire. Would you have purchased it if you knew the series would hit a dead end and never be finished? Not likely. Legally he owes us nothing but really, he's buying his pizzas and trips to Italy on a broken loving promise.

We had us an informal contract and it appears that he's decided not to honour his end of things. It doesn't make him a criminal but it does make him a oval office.

EVGA Longoria, Sep 23, 2008 posted:

Bean0r posted:

Maybe you should be mad at his publisher then

Is there any actual indication that he has not done any work on the book and just goofs off all day or are people just inferring that because he doesn't update his fans constantly about his progress?
Is there any indication he HAS done anything? He's stopped mentioning the book, is recycling the same preview chapters and then talks about the intense cycles of food, football and vacation he goes on. If he is writing, it's not more than a couple of hours a week. He's missed how many deadlines at this point? He has a half written book, even at a chapter a month he should be done with it by now.

Are we being a little unfair? Maybe. Maybe he is writing and is just not mentioning it. But there's no indication he is, he doesn't even say so in his rant about off topic comments that he's working on it - just that people are reminding him it's late. That's pretty much the most update we have on his books in the past few months - that he knows it's late.

Basically, gently caress George R R Martin.

FuriousxGeorge, July 14, 2010 posted:

He gets no more money from me, I'm pirating the gently caress out of Dance whenever whoever they pay to write it after he dies finishes it.

I'll seed the audiobook forever on every tracker I can find and mail out copies like AOL CDs.

I mean holy poo poo, he is trolling his audience...admitting it and laughing about it...and hiding behind moderated/censored comments so no one can even tell him off...this is how he spends his time instead of writing. I guess he gets some sick sense of satisfaction in taking out his frustrations about his eminent failure to actually finish the only redeeming piece of work he has ever done in his life on his readers. If only we had left him in his pit of failure instead of buying his books no one would ever expect him to actually see the work to to the end. He could have died an anonymous failure, but now the whole world will know for all time that he could not do his job while competent writers, artists, and actors at HBO will steal his glory leaving him only a footnote.

I hope an oarfish crawls up your rear end and eats your intestines.

Chair Huxtable, Jul 14, 2010 posted:

I hate him so much right now. Every time he says something like that I think "yup, it's Wild Cards." But then this tiny little flash of hope wells up in me and I read the post. Then I scream incoherently with rage.

I hope you get raped by a loving llama you fat tub of worthless lard.

Chair Huxable, Jun 27, 2010 posted:

Take those chapters and shove them up your rear end, GRRM. Seriously, does he think we'll all fall down and fellate him because he moved some chapters into the next book? Chapters that weren't even planned for the book he swore was half done five years ago? Go gently caress a lemoncake you fat piece of poo poo.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

It's funny going back that as mad as everyone got in 2008-2010, they probably still wouldn't have dreamed that it would be 2021 and the 6th book still wouldn't be out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I definitely feel like an author has an informal contract with readers to deliver the series if the initial book is pitched as part of a series. And they have an explicit contract with the publisher, although with these mega-success stories the publisher is never going to exert too much pressure on the author to actually deliver.

It's why I get a bit tired with the endless defenses of Martin and Rothfuss. Sure, you can't rush art. But you can put art on a schedule. You can find ways to reduce scope. You can try to treat the writing like a job with deadlines and consequences. Everyone who has ever worked on a tv show or any collaborative project knows this. With authors we throw it out the windows because its a singular effort, but I would like to see a bit more discipline on their part to actually produce. It's not like they don't have willing editors at the ready to help shape a torrent of words into something coherent and enjoyable.