Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

geeves posted:

(when Tywin charges Tyrion to be acting Hand.)

thats a great line, and they didn't use it? SHAME !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

geeves posted:

They also not include: "Now it begins." "No, now it ends" just like they didn't include "cockless wonder".

In the show the powerful cock merchants guild frowns upon comments like that.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Groovelord Neato posted:

my entire point was to blame the millions of people who bought the books for allowing this kind of boring, overblown fantasy to still dominate the market. was blaming the buyers not the publisher.

What fantasy novel series should people be allowed to read? I don't want to step on any toes and accidentally buy a low-fantasy novel that the book-police would judge me for.

SaviourX posted:

Whoa, whoa, an appeal to populism? Half a decade too late?
When you get angry at millions of people for having bad taste, it's like getting angry at wasps for stinging people. Lousy wasps! Doing things that wasps do! Someone ought to tell them to stop being wasps!

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 14, 2016

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I saw that the Sword of Truth series is finally finished. I hear that's good.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
My favorite part of the Sword of Truth series is the sadomasochism and the rape. Same with the Deverry books by Katharine Kerr. Also Wheel of Time.

Why did no one stop me reading this poo poo when I was a kid? People even encouraged it ffs!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If y'all aren't reading Matt Stover for your gritty, savage fantasy tales, you're doing it wrong.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Number Ten Cocks posted:

sword of truth is really, really bad. the whole book is about how being an objectivist is cool and good, and he conveys this message by having the non-libertarians form rape queues outside of conquered cities and evil witches gently caress spiny cocked satan dogs to get dark powers. i literally only finished that poo poo because i started the series when i was 11 and sunk costs fallacy.

like, some of the background stuff about how magic works in that universe was kind of neat, but it's just some nice makeup thrown over a less soliloquy-oriented the fountainhead.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
theres a book in the sword of truth that is almost a shot for shot ripoff of the fountainhead its REALLY good

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

my favourite part of that thing aside from the sudden 150 pages of torture rape in the middle of the first book is that the protagonist is told that since hes a superwizard doing hella frags to his enemies he needs to balance that by becoming a vegan. then like 5 books later he decides that actually no, the only balance for killing all of my enemies with magic is self righteousness so he no longer needs to be a vegan

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

theres a book in the sword of truth that is almost a shot for shot ripoff of the fountainhead its REALLY good

what could be more thrilling. I never knew that. so loving glad I never started reading that poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jsoh posted:

my favourite part of that thing aside from the sudden 150 pages of torture rape in the middle of the first book is that the protagonist is told that since hes a superwizard doing hella frags to his enemies he needs to balance that by becoming a vegan. then like 5 books later he decides that actually no, the only balance for killing all of my enemies with magic is self righteousness so he no longer needs to be a vegan

at the end they crown him king and then he gives this long as speech where he's basically all "its super sweet that im the king and all but for real, even though youve all just demonstrated through these thousands of pages that you will all turborape each other and resort to demonic caniballism at the drop of a hat, kings r bad and a peaceful world with out ultrasodomy of the young doesnt mean anything if theres a guy in charge, so laterz!" and then he stops being king and then it's over.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

jsoh posted:

is that the one where he goes into the evil country and sculpts a statue of humanity or whatever, and its really beautiful? that sure was a book.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to write a space opera, but based on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This man owns several katanas doesn't he?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Speaking of weird/dumb fantasy novels with disturbing undertones, has anyone here read something from the Gor series?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Solice Kirsk posted:

:goonsay: i think you will find that the plural of katana is katana, for nipponese doesnt have distinct singular and plural forms

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

katanas rule, idiot

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

MrSlam posted:

Speaking of weird/dumb fantasy novels with disturbing undertones, has anyone here read something from the Gor series?

IIRC, b_o_t is our resident Gor expert

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure he's too certain of the white mans superiority for that. He might have a broad sword or two though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

IIRC, b_o_t is our resident Gor expert

I've never read a single story of Gor. I am, however, aware of the hosed-up sexual subculture around them! But then, nobody who is aware of Gor could be unaware of that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MrSlam posted:

Overtones, the word is overtones, the disturbing stuff in gor is overt, at least as I understand it. I've certainly never read any of them, the only trashy genre fiction I read comes from the finest goon-approved stock.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Syncopated posted:

I'm sure he's too certain of the white mans superiority for that. He might have a broad sword or two though.

also this. the whole story has this weird undertone typical of fantasy where all the non-medieval-white people are mysterious foreigners from afar with bizarre practices and rituals. the titular sword of truth is a magical excalibur-alike.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

MrSlam posted:

I don't buy merchandise, but if GRRM came out with a Cyvasse board I'd be all over it

FTFY
FTFY

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MrSlam posted:

What fantasy novel series should people be allowed to read? I don't want to step on any toes and accidentally buy a low-fantasy novel that the book-police would judge me for.

When you get angry at millions of people for having bad taste, it's like getting angry at wasps for stinging people. Lousy wasps! Doing things that wasps do! Someone ought to tell them to stop being wasps!

i'd like a fantasy series that's advertised as gritty and realistic not to devolve into ice zombies and dragons and magic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The ice zombies are in the very first scene.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Depends on your opinions of demonic chickens.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

computer parts posted:

I think we should eat more of them at Chik-fil-a.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think the ice zombies are only implied in the prologue, it's the ice elves who wear ice armor and wield ice swords that actually appear.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think the ice zombies are only implied in the prologue, it's the ice elves who wear ice armor and wield ice swords that actually appear.

If Preston Jacobs is to be believed, we should really be worried about the telepathic mutant/alien hybrids trying to take over post-apocalyptic earth

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

MrSlam posted:

If Preston Jacobs is to be believed, we should really be worried about the telepathic mutant/alien hybrids trying to take over post-apocalyptic earth

He is talking about the ice elves and their master and the wood elves with their disembodied collective mind thingy, not about some new race we haven't yet encountered. Also, a major part of his 'hypothesis' hinges around the children\others just being selectively mutated humans rather than alien species.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He is talking about the ice elves and their master and the wood elves with their disembodied collective mind thingy, not about some new race we haven't yet encountered. Also, a major part of his 'hypothesis' hinges around the children\others just being selectively mutated humans rather than alien species.

Yeah that's what I mean. He talks a lot more about Children of the Forest than the Others. And I think he thinks they're more of a threat? I threw in Alien Hybrid because he won't shut up about GRRM's Sci Fi novel alien-collectives which he uses for pseudo-evidence. And also because the word alien makes it sound more ridiculous and I'm being petty today I guess. Like adding the word 'ghost' to something. Ghost-aliens, Werewolf-ghosts, Ghost-vampires, etc

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 14, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

computer parts posted:

lol i forgot all about that. note that this scene happens during richard's honeymoon, which is taking place in a straw tiki hut because he got married by the "mud people" who are brown and live in mud and are the only brown people in the series who arent brutal rape-partying monsters

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

If Westeros were going to have a Wacky Races, who would be the Dick Dastardly and Muttley?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Stannis and patchface but the gimmick is he doesn't know he's snidely he thinks he's dudly do-right.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Roose and Ramsey?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

and?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

computer parts posted:

I liked how the last book was a giant soccer riot and then they send the muggles to Earth.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

IRQ posted:

I liked how the last book was a giant soccer riot and then they send the muggles to Earth.

buddy, no. theres more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't know who called it "gritty and realistic", but if supernatural elements are incompatible with that, the author didn't exactly pull a fast one on you late in the series. The supernatural was present in the prologue of the first book, if you didn't want to read books about that, why go past there? There's plenty of things to criticize but that doesn't seem like a very good one to me. The theme of magic returning to the world is cool and I suspect that it will end up being seen as a source of suffering, as the maesters believe. Too bad absolutely none of that will be ever be addressed because boobs and violence.