Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It makes sense since Dany wasn't originally going to be in the first book at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

cis autodrag posted:

they also have convinced a bunch of first-time watchers to skip like 1/3 of the show just because the tviv thread personally doesn't like certain plotlines. tviv-ers are loving insane.

Tbf, before LOST and season 3, Twin Peaks had the most legendarily bad quality drop between the first half of season 2 and all the rest once Lynch left.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

Tbf, before LOST and season 3, Twin Peaks had the most legendarily bad quality drop between the first half of season 2 and all the rest once Lynch left.

Is that what happened?

I didn't care for the ending at all.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

syscall girl posted:

Is that what happened?

I didn't care for the ending at all.

I don't know how accurate this is but here's what I heard. Lynch originally didn't want to show who the killer was. It was supposed to just stay a mystery but the network started putting pressure on him to reveal the killer. As soon as he did he turned the reins over to someone else and there was a pretty obvious drop in quality. He directed the first two episodes of season 2, the episode where they revealed the killer, and the last episode which did its best to undo all the zany poo poo that was going on while he was away.

Get a hold of Fire Walk With Me though. It's a neat wrap up to the series.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SaviourX posted:

sure, but they're so dogmatic about it that they're convincing people with no knowledge of the show to just skip half of it. like, they bully people into saying they won't watch those episodes. its nuts

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Elias_Maluco posted:

When I used to post o the TVIV GoT thread, around season 2, before I even read the drat books, and having no idea about what was going to happen with Arya, I got probated for joking that she was going to became a ninja and seek for revenge

They said it was a spoiler

Aatrek gave me 3 days for explaining why Jaime refused Milk of the Poppy after his arm was cut off. People were like "Does he just like pain"? I had to say something. I even put it in spoiler space!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546595&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post414940601

Hey, I just noticed. You were the first one to reply to me there.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 25, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
let no man come between aatrek and his love for the unspoiled

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

We should have known...

You know, he didn't like the show much but I bet he would have loved the books.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

:golfclap:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

:vince:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

:drat:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The child rapist banned me for making a Lost reference in the GoT thread, thinking it was an actual spoiler.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Truly his awful moderation was his greatest crime.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:eyepop:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The child rapist banned me for making a Lost reference in the GoT thread, thinking it was an actual spoiler.

He didn't actually read the books and was just probating people at random?

I really missed out by not following those threads. :lol:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Moderating a tv forum during the premiere of game of thrones is one of those times that try men's souls.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

:vince:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

He didn't actually read the books and was just probating people at random?

I really missed out by not following those threads. :lol:

I got probed by Aatrek (heh) for posting spoilers in the nonspoiler threads. Then got probed by Loosechanj for making fun of gurm in this thread. What a time those were.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

I was sorely tempted to burn it all down and post mid-tier spoilers and play them up to no end around season 3 during the height of the guillotine madness, but wussed out.

And idk how Aatrek burns are still possible, but it's loving amazing.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Is he dead yet?

I think I have a decent Aatrek prob:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511797&pagenumber=539&perpage=40#post417885581

Apparently commenting that Maisie Williams looked like she gained stripper boobs in a picture suddenly triggered him.
Broke his immersion or something.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 25, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

Is he dead yet?

I think I have a decent Aatrek prob:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511797&pagenumber=539&perpage=40#post417885581

Apparently commenting that Maisie Williams looked like she gained stripper boobs in a picture suddenly triggered him.
Broke his immersion or something.

He was sad at the idea she was growing up.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

:krakken:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

How can Bill Paxton and Alan Colmes die while GRRM still lives and is much older than they were? It just goes to show staying in shape and being healthy isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think I'll get me a large pizza for lunch today.

Perhaps there's something to the GRRM diet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

some guy on the bus posted:

How can Bill Paxton and Alan Colmes die while GRRM still lives and is much older than they were? It just goes to show staying in shape and being healthy isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think I'll get me a large pizza for lunch today.

Just keep in mind that you need to hit that sweet spot of spite and loathing to live forever like GRRM, otherwise it can still destroy you like demilich Antonin Scalia.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Brenda Butner died too. Someone is killing off Fox people.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

And none of them fat.

This is what physical fitness gets you.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4264584/Bob-Harper-Biggest-Loser-suffers-heart-attack.html
51 year old physical trainer "workout fanatic" is the one to have a heart attack, not GRRM.

GRRM is proving all of our theories on health and exercise false.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

And none of them fat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4264584/Bob-Harper-Biggest-Loser-suffers-heart-attack.html
51 year old physical trainer "workout fanatic" is the one to have a heart attack, not GRRM.

Heart deaths aren't that uncommon in really fitness-obsessed people, because that puts a lot of stress on your heart. So heart problems that wouldn't be a problem with mild or moderate exercise end up killing them.

So what I'm saying is we shouldn't send GRRM to The Biggest Loser, if we ever want to get another book preview chapter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pidan posted:

Heart deaths aren't that uncommon in really fitness-obsessed people, because that puts a lot of stress on your heart. So heart problems that wouldn't be a problem with mild or moderate exercise end up killing them.

So what I'm saying is we shouldn't send GRRM to The Biggest Loser, if we ever want to get another book preview chapter.

I had a congenital heart defect that didn't manifest until I started squatting regularly. On the plus side it meant they found it while I was young and able to recover from surgery. On the minus side 90k for a hospital bill is not good when you are a college freshman. Thank God the hospital had a big endowment and a charity care program.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

And none of them fat.

gently caress you, quoting the daily mail.

drat your water and drat your blood.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Daily mail gives you the horrific news stories of the day alongside pictures of hot celebrities. It's the perfect place for any Bad Thread poster and fantasy reader to get their news.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Just a reminder that most goons outside of TV can be pretty spazzy: the board games grogs are generally a good mix, but as soon as someone puts tits and a literal dick monster in a game, they flip the gently caress out. I wonder what they would do if they heard about The Meathouse Man?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799762

Spoiler alert: I'm reverse spazzin' in the last few pages.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SaviourX posted:

Just a reminder that most goons outside of TV can be pretty spazzy: the board games grogs are generally a good mix, but as soon as someone puts tits and a literal dick monster in a game, they flip the gently caress out. I wonder what they would do if they heard about The Meathouse Man?

Meathouse Man is hosed. Seriously, that loving book.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

I had a congenital heart defect that didn't manifest until I started squatting regularly. On the plus side it meant they found it while I was young and able to recover from surgery. On the minus side 90k for a hospital bill is not good when you are a college freshman. Thank God the hospital had a big endowment and a charity care program.

did you have insurance?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kcroy posted:

did you have insurance?

Hell no. College student with an unemployed single mom.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Can someone please update the equation in this post, perform the calculation, and tell me when Winds of Winter will be out? Thanks.

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Within the last 3 days he capped off the work of 6 "productive" weeks.

Now for my 'spergin' out analysis:

KNOWN
n: Number items in sample.
n = 4 books

c: Chapters (including (pro|epi)logue
cAGOT = 73 chapters
cACOK = 70 chapters
cASOS = 82 chapters
cAFFC = 46 chapters
cADWD = ?

p: Pages (US Paperback)
pAGOT = 835 pages
pACOK = 1009 pages
pASOS = 1216 pages
pAFFC = 1104 pages
pADWD = ?

GIVEN
Most productive in the last 6 weeks as has been for months if not years, finishing 3 partially completed chapters.

r = Rate of chapter completion
rMAX < 3 chapters / 6 weeks = .5 ch/wk

CALCULATIONS
a: average pages per chapter.
aAGOT = pAGOT/cAGOT = 835/73 = 11.44 pg/ch
aACOK = pACOK/cACOK = 1009/70 = 14.41 pg/ch
aASOS = pASOS/cASOS = 1216/82 = 14.83 pg/ch
aAFFC = pAFFC/cAFFC = 1104/46 = 24.00 pg/ch

μ: Mean (average)
μc = (cAGOT + cACOK + cASOS + cAFFC)/n = (73 + 70 + 82 + 46)/4 = 271/4 = 67.75 chapters
μp = (pAGOT + pACOK + pASOS + pAFFC)/n = (835 + 1009 + 1216 + 1104)/4 = 4164/4 = 1041.00 pages
μa = (aAGOT + aACOK + aASOS + aAFFC)/n = 11.44 + 14.41 + 14.83 + 24.00)/4 = 64.68/4 = 16.17 pg/ch

dADWD: "Done" chapters from A Dance with Dragons we are aware of (based on released samples, and read excerpts -- though these chapters may not actually be done, so this is an estimate in GRRM's favor).

dADWD = ( Prologue + Daenerys1,2,3,4 + Davos1 + Jon1,2,3 + Tyrion1,2 + Reek? + 3 newly finished ) = 15

PROJECTIONS (EDIT: assuming MAX PRODUCTIVITY [hah]) (EDIT2: only based on chapters "known" to be complete.)
u:unfinished chapters
t: time to completion

Assuming ADwD is of average size, concerning ourselves only with chapters count:
uc = μc - dADWD = 67.75 - 15 = 52.75 chapters
t = uc / rMAX = (52.75 ch) / (.5 ch/wk) = 105.5 weeks = ~ 2 years to go.

Assuming ADwD is of ASoS size, concerning ourselves only with chapter count:
uc = cASOS - dADWD = 82 - 15 = 67 chapters
t = uc / rMAX = (67 ch) / (.5 ch/wk) = 134 weeks = ~ 2.5 years to go.

Assuming ADwD is of average size, taking AFFC length chapters into account:
pADWD = μp = 1041.00 pages
cADWD = pADWD / aAFFC = 1041.00 / 24.00 = 43.375 chapters
uc = cADWD - dADWD = 43.375 - 15 = 28.375 chapters
t = uc / rMAX = (28.375 ch) / (.5 ch/wk) = 56.75 weeks = ~ 1 year to go.

Assuming ADwD is of ASoS size, taking AFFC length chapters into account:
pADWD = pASOS = 1216 pages
cADWD = pADWD / aAFFC = 1216 / 24.00 = 50.67 chapters
uc = cADWD - dADWD = 50.67 - 15 = 35.67 chapters
t = uc / rMAX = (35.67 ch) / (.5 ch/wk) = 71.33 weeks = ~ 1.37 years to go.

WILD CARDS ( Heh... heh )
Actual value of dADWD (likely higher than reported, decreasing time to go), Heart attack probabilities for overweight men > 60 years, chances of that happening with-in t/(52 wk) years plus buffer time for cons, football, playing with miniatures, editing, etc...

We're doomed.

As a side note, I'd like to formally recognize the following acronym secret, since I've been staring at them in a column far too long.

GOT COK SOS FFC DWD

Got cock sauce? gently caress dude.

We've been had. Biggest troll in history.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Geez he provided all the fomulas, you're so close already!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
got cok

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
edit: wrong thread

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

edit: wrong thread

Perform the calculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

Hell no. College student with an unemployed single mom.

I had heart surgery when I was 22....but I live in Canada, so it was free.