Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
flip the syllables so selyse becomes lisa and cersei becomes caesar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

frankenfreak posted:

It definitely took me a while to catch that it's not Damfair. Certainly a facepalm moment when I did.

Same. This is the first I've told anyone of my secret shame.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Clearly Cersei is an analog to "circle", meaning she's going to end the story in the same place she started it: married to someone she despises (Euron) and getting hosed (over) by Jaime.

It is known.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fhate posted:

If he says that to you, just say, "Then I pronounce 'you' DEAD, sir!" and devour his head with a single bite.

Please don't eat gurm's head or any other part. You will get a disease.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are plenty of characters Dotrice did really well, even his pouty Arya becomes adorable after a while, but nothing excuses racist chinese caricature missandei.

Is there a sample clip online? When you have show Missandei in mind that sounds hilarious.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

NihilCredo posted:

Is there a sample clip online? When you have show Missandei in mind that sounds hilarious.

Couldn't find but this should do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Brian of Tarth.

Is it out yet?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/valve-hires-george-rr-martin-begin-writing-half-life-3/

Lmao

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Must have heard "poo hole" instead of "Portal" to agree to that one. The idiot. That absolute fucker.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I've always liked Benjen's casting, mostly because the actor looks 100% like I always imagined Ned to look, before the show came out.

Not that Sean Bean as Ned wasn't a great get for the show, but it's cool to have a very clear visual example of the stereotypical "Stark look" that people are always going on about in the books.

anyway :rip: benjen, killed off in a dumb way

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

anyway :rip: benjen, killed off in a dumb way
What was his dealio anyway - he was a wight, but not a wight? how'd that happen.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

kcroy posted:

What was his dealio anyway - he was a wight, but not a wight? how'd that happen.

He said he was in the process of being turned to a WW when the Children stabbed him with dragonglass. Is that right? It's what I seem to remember but it opens up so many other questions my head hurts.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Magic.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Barreft posted:

He said he was in the process of being turned to a WW when the Children stabbed him with dragonglass. Is that right? It's what I seem to remember but it opens up so many other questions my head hurts.

Half wight half black (brother)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
In the books wasn't he supposed to be a wight that the three eyed raven worged into?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The books never explained Coldhands. It's forever theories.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The show never explained him, I don't think? poo poo, did it?

I assumed he was out warging, whoops his body died, got up again and walked around without him. Time for a second life as a [animal?], nah, lets warg back into my body I mean it's right there, okay got it. Aw beans I can't go back to the wall ever again. Sorry, family who cares about me.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
In the books skinchangers can no longer 'do their thing' in their second life, they're stuck in the beast and are slowly absorbed by it. Preston would probably say this is an indication that the skinchanging ability is some magic biological trait and not something spiritual at all or some poo poo.

Anyway as none of this poo poo is even mentioned in the show it probably makes no sense to try to extrapolate from the books to the show, in the show the answer is "we didn't have time to deal with Benjen so we just killed him, lol, dragonglass, whatever"

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I think exceptions could be made if your body is up and walking again all you gotta do is get back in there and get the ghost out, or whatever. I don't know.

Man I really thought the book would be announced by November of this year. I really believed, in my heart, it could happen. haha!

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Krinkle posted:

Man I really thought the book would be announced by November of this year.
People who think blah blahblah haven't been paying attention. But your optimism is a ray of light in this crazy world.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Krinkle posted:

I think exceptions could be made if your body is up and walking again all you gotta do is get back in there and get the ghost out, or whatever. I don't know.

Man I really thought the book would be announced by November of this year. I really believed, in my heart, it could happen. haha!

Fret not, i'm sure a new installment of "Wild Cards" is just around the corner.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Actually this is interesting as Varamyr's corpse isn't shown to be raised as a wight while the wildling woman he tries to highjack does.

Perhaps wargs can't be raised if their spirit is still lurking about?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I read Sons of the Dragon. It's a wikipedia article about people who do not exist. Fun enough for what it is, and a quick read, but a bit schlocky and obviously written by a dirty old man.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

cannot imagine the level of laziness required to just not write a book when that's your only job.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Groovelord Neato posted:

cannot imagine the level of laziness required to just not write a book when that's your only job.

I get the feeling he just really doesn't want to write WoW currently. I mean the man makes plenty of other work for himself to do, and barely touches ASoIaF. If he wanted to finish it he'd make the time. Will he get around to finishing it some day? Hell, maybe. Less likely things have happened. But for now it seems like he'd rather do any number of other things instead.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Fhate posted:

I get the feeling he just really doesn't want to write WoW currently. I mean the man makes plenty of other work for himself to do, and barely touches ASoIaF. If he wanted to finish it he'd make the time. Will he get around to finishing it some day? Hell, maybe. Less likely things have happened. But for now it seems like he'd rather do any number of other things instead.

He will finish TWOW at some point unless his health takes a turn for the worse in the next 2-3 years. Maybe he somehow rediscoveres his enthusiasm for the story, but if not he will never finish the last book.

I don't necessarily think he doesn't want to write it, there's just a whole lot of things he wants more. Maybe going from a moderately successful TV/Scifi writer to a world famous fantasy author has made him feel a lot of pressure about his magnum opus and that's why he's stopped writing. Wild cards and other stuff is still fun for him, because there's not an extraordinary amount of expectation.

Once the show hype dies down after the last season, he'll push all the books out in a few years, it is known.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Groovelord Neato posted:

He seems to be working super hard to invent other things to do instead of writing. Honestly sometimes it sounds exhausting just how much effort is put into this.

He'll never get interested again and finish them. Writing had slowed down significantly before the show came out, even if he managed to get back up to that pace again, he'd probably still die before he finished.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He lost interest in writing these books once he realised A Feast For Crows was going be:

A: Very hard to write
B: poo poo

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

And sealed his fate when he decided to write through the timeskip and ran out of energy.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

the threefold combo of pressure, laziness, and money is to blame

i am very much in the camp that thinks he only has written the already previewed chapters, hope i’m wrong :unsmith:

(i’m not)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

When four out of the five main characters are kids, it seems obvious that the timeskip was an integral part of whatever vision he once had.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He said it was and explained that it kind of failed because of Cersei.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Truly the greatest villain of the series.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I thought Jon would be a bigger obstacle, since the Others would have to be laughably slow to have not done anything of note during that time.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

From the book, I don't really remember any indication that the Others are planning to attack the wall or go south of the wall. They have come closer gradually and have attacked many wildlings, but so far their behaviour is totally compatible with just wanting the north to be human free.

The only thing is the two wights who attacked the night watch command in the first book. But I guess I glossed over that because I assumed the wights operate on the general zombie algorithm of "attack any humans". If they are actively being controlled by the Others that's a different story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pidan posted:

From the book, I don't really remember any indication that the Others are planning to attack the wall or go south of the wall. They have come closer gradually and have attacked many wildlings, but so far their behaviour is totally compatible with just wanting the north to be human free.

The only thing is the two wights who attacked the night watch command in the first book. But I guess I glossed over that because I assumed the wights operate on the general zombie algorithm of "attack any humans". If they are actively being controlled by the Others that's a different story.

At this point, I think it’s safe to say that anything we’ve learned about the White Walkers in the post-book show can be transposed on to the Others, save for the specific identity/name of the Night King. I’d assume that the books equivalent to the NK is the Great Other and they basically function in the same role in both versions: the leader of the Others/Walkers and the big bad of the series.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

pidan posted:

Them attacking the watch in the opening of the first book could maybe be explained away, although I did get the impression they were incredibly close to the wall when that happened. The real kicker is when they sent the trojan wight into castle black itself with the obvious intention to assassinate the lord commander.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Kavak posted:

I thought Jon would be a bigger obstacle, since the Others would have to be laughably slow to have not done anything of note during that time.

The others seem for all intents and purposes to be immortal and they've already waited millennia. Waiting another 5 years or moving very gradually during that time hardly seems out of character for them.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Mind you it’s been a long time but I thought the Others were supposed to be a little more than just zombies. With the way the show portrays them I just assume they’re just gonna turn into zombies regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

frankenfreak posted:

So I've made the poor life choice of spending most of my Sunday messing around writing a Markov chain generator and feeding it AGOT. While still somewhat crude, it spit out this nugget:

Holy smokes lmao