Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I will admit though, the Night King dying off screen halfway through the season and then Euron becoming the big bad of out nowhere and dying in a blast of wildfire because Drogon is an idiot is an amazingly hilarious twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically the North fights the ice guys and win. Night King dies by Jonny Snow. Everyone then heads to fight Cersei and Euron. Dany dies in childbirth. Euron literally smears her with poo poo and hangs her from the walls of KL. Everyone fights elephants. Arya kills Cersei. Hound kills The Mountain. Jaime, Snow, Hound die fighting Euron (who also dies) when Drogon sets a bunch of dragon fire and it explodes a bunch of the city....again.

Oh and Gendry/Brienne die fighting the ice guys. Brienne tells Jaime she loves him. Sansa marries Gendry. Jon and Dany's kid become queen and Tyrion marries the brown girl with nice boobs and rules as regent. Bronn gets a castle.

Think I got most of it.

Tell me more about the girl with the boobs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Tell me more about the girl with the boobs.

They mean Missande. Because Grey Worm goes down like a chump in 8x01.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

nine-gear crow posted:

They mean Missande. Because Grey Worm goes down like a chump in 8x01.

He went down like a boss in like 7x02 or 03

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I will admit though, the Night King dying off screen halfway through the season and then Euron becoming the big bad of out nowhere and dying in a blast of wildfire because Drogon is an idiot is an amazingly hilarious twist.

I consider it cannon.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Brother Friendship posted:

I consider it cannon.

Yeah, me too. Frankly, it’s the ending we all deserve.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m ok with it because Euron is the last fun the show still has.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I thought they already greenlit a jon snow nights watch sequel series

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So I'll admit this is a really stupid question to ask about a series of books that will never be finished and honestly were never that good anyway,

but it's a thing in this setting the winter is incredibly rare but lasts like a decade when it happens, right? Soooo, why the hell isn't everyone in westeros loving dead from starving to death? I'm pretty sure having to go like, 2 years without a new harvest even in the modern day would be loving apocalyptic, to say nothing on how totally screwed a feudal society with a vaguely medieval tech level would be.

I mean, this is a friggin meteor blotting out the sun minus the actual impact.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 19, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bronn gets a castle.
:unsmith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Latest leaks claim that Bronn fucks the castle after finding just the right crevice.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A big flaming stink posted:

So I'll admit this is a really stupid question to ask about a series of books that will never be finished and honestly were never that good anyway,

but it's a thing in this setting the winter is incredibly rare but lasts like a decade when it happens, right? Soooo, why the hell isn't everyone in westeros loving dead from starving to death? I'm pretty sure having to go like, 2 years without a new harvest even in the modern day would be loving apocalyptic, to say nothing on how totally screwed a feudal society with a vaguely medieval tech level would be.

I believe the winter isn’t nearly as bad in the reach (aka the breadbasket of the seven kingdoms) and is non-existent in whatever that desert kingdom is called. I think it is only terrible in the North and beyond the wall, and other than that it’s just dreary and probably deadly for the small folk if their lords haven’t saved up enough food beforehand or gotten enough rotten apples or whatever it is the reach fames up before winter hits.

GRRM said that the weather is tied to *magic* so I guess it is folly to try to think of it as making any kind of sense outside of whatever the author needs it to do.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 19, 2018

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

They don't always last 10 years. They usually last a couple years. Tyrion has seen eight or nine in his lifetime, and the one he was born during lasted ~3 years. The long night, the mythical winter from 8000 years ago lasted "a generation", so probably like 20-30 years.

On the version of Earth we live on, a 3 year winter would kill most plants and animals, and a 20-30 year winter would definitely kill almost everything. Westeros is not on our earth, however, and presumably animals have ways to survive the protracted winters (Perhaps a lot of them migrate? Winter seems far less harsh south of The Neck).

Their other seasons are also unusually long, so they could have a spring or summer that lasts for years also, and they regularly store good sized chunks of their harvest for use during winter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The general implication seems to be that once the Night King dies the seasons will go back to normal.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s not like they have one year of summer/harvest and then 2 years of winter. There’s multiple growing cycles during the summer/fall so they just store a shitload of food waiting for winter. And when it does last longer than normal all the olds go ‘hunting’ to die in the forest to save food.

It’s pretty bleak. And one of the main reasons the watch kills Jon because he’s giving all the food they stored up to the wildling savages and there isn’t enough time for them to actually grow anything in the land they’re given.

And now i’ve mildly effortposted about this dumb poo poo, thanks.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TK-42-1 posted:

so they just store a shitload of food waiting for winter.
The little glimpse at Littlefinger trying to corner the grain market in the Alayne preview chapter says otherwise.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

frankenfreak posted:

The little glimpse at Littlefinger trying to corner the grain market in the Alayne preview chapter says otherwise.

The land has been ravaged by war and all the crops for winter have been thoroughly hosed in the rear end b/c the nobles are taking all the stores n poo poo.

i am looking for a maid of ten and three

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nine-gear crow posted:

The general implication seems to be that once the Night King dies the seasons will go back to normal.

maybe they'll kill the nights king in the first episode and then do a whole season about the economic and thus political changes brought about by the sudden change in climate regime

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

maybe they'll kill the nights king in the first episode and then do a whole season about the economic and thus political changes brought about by the sudden change in climate regime

Wouldn't be surprised if that's how the book is supposed to end tbh

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

All the lords hire merc armies from Essos then they eat them

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

banned from Starbucks posted:

All the lords hire merc armies from Essos then they eat them

The lords eat the mercs or the mercs eat the lords?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Cavelcade posted:

The lords eat the mercs or the mercs eat the lords?

Yes. As the merfolk always intended.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You wouldn't find that sort of incisive political and economic analysis in Tolkien!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Lord of the Rings, Book 4: Sauron Is Taxed At A Lower Rate Than Hobbits Thanks To Isildur-Era Republican Economic Policies

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Dany's story ending with her corpse being hung on a wall as people hurl poo poo at it would cause more international outrage than most real life genocides.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 22, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's gonna happen. It's all gonna happen. They're so stupid they have to be real.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dany's story ending with her corpse being hung on a wall as people hurl poo poo at it would cause more international outrage than most real life genocides.

It's depressing how correct you are. The usual zero-depth outrage feminist blogs will be full of blazing takes about it despite showing zero interest in this ultra popular pile of rape and poo poo thus far.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

It's depressing how correct you are. The usual zero-depth outrage feminist blogs will be full of blazing takes about it despite showing zero interest in this ultra popular pile of rape and poo poo thus far.

The most hilarious example of that was how The Mary Sue reacted to Sansa getting raped by Ramsay (which in and of itself was already lovely). They posted this big self-righteous article about how they were never going to publish another article that even mentioned GOT tangentially again because the show was dead to them.

And then before the year was up they were talking about GOT again.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nine-gear crow posted:

The most hilarious example of that was how The Mary Sue reacted to Sansa getting raped by Ramsay (which in and of itself was already lovely). They posted this big self-righteous article about how they were never going to publish another article that even mentioned GOT tangentially again because the show was dead to them.

And then before the year was up they were talking about GOT again.

There's so, so much to unpack in the show from a feminist perspective but online feminist analysis can't seem to go deeper than "bad things happened to women in this show and that's bad" which is really disappointing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

There's so, so much to unpack in the show from a feminist perspective but online feminist analysis can't seem to go deeper than "bad things happened to women in this show and that's bad" which is really disappointing.

And that is unfortunate, because generally The Mary Sue is quite good at doing just that with other things. ...For a website that’s owned by Dan Abrams, I mean.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
ASOAIF isn't degrading to women, it's degrading to everyone.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Is the book out yet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Search your feelings.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Is the show out yet?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

Is the show out yet?

Search your feelings.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

on the contrary, it's pretty empowering to ice zombies

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I'm sure many of the more interesting character's corpses have degraded by now.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

it it out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

gently caress capitalization

hail satan