Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Is the show out yet?

They're halfway done filming Season 8 already.

Which is honestly surprising that they've managed to get halfway through their production schedule and there so far hasn't been a single major (credible) leak or set spy photos published yet. They've really stepped up their game because by this point in filming Season 7 there were a billion pics of Jon and Dany at Dragonstone swirling around the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Smiling Jack posted:

gently caress capitalization

hail satan

remember when people got banned for that

lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Book is out

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/955865261764161537

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

I hope that calendar is indefinitely delayed and 3 Wildcards calendars are released in the meantime

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

https://twitter.com/quepapafrita/status/955865546020487169

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
I'm Pickle Reek

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Cornflakes posted:

I hope that calendar is indefinitely delayed and 3 Wildcards calendars are released in the meantime

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, it’s nice to see that John Jude Palencar’s still getting work now that no one wants to publish anything Christopher Paolini writes ever again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, it’s nice to see that John Jude Palencar’s still getting work now that no one wants to publish anything Christopher Paolini writes ever again.

Did people finally realize Eragon sucks or did he do a Bad Thing?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

Did people finally realize Eragon sucks or did he do a Bad Thing?

The former, I think. Despite proclamations that he was hard at work on a sci-fi book since before the last Eragon book was published, he hasn’t published a drat thing in creeping up on a decade now. Allegedly he’s a GRRM level slow writer, but the more plausible explanation is that the second he fulfilled his 4 book contract with Random House no one wanted anything to do with him anymore because, yeah, he’s a lovely writer and the 15 year-old wunderkin charm wore off like 8 years ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-CUJxIQkpA

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

nine-gear crow posted:

The former, I think. Despite proclamations that he was hard at work on a sci-fi book since before the last Eragon book was published, he hasn’t published a drat thing in creeping up on a decade now. Allegedly he’s a GRRM level slow writer, but the more plausible explanation is that the second he fulfilled his 4 book contract with Random House no one wanted anything to do with him anymore because, yeah, he’s a lovely writer and the 15 year-old wunderkin charm wore off like 8 years ago.

I guess teenage fame is never good even if you're a nerdy fantasy writer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gianthogweed posted:

I guess teenage fame is never good even if you're a nerdy fantasy writer.

on the other hand he probably has enough money to just do whatever the gently caress for quite a while. That garbage pile book got a movie adaptation too.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

IRQ posted:

on the other hand he probably has enough money to just do whatever the gently caress for quite a while. That garbage pile book got a movie adaptation too.

And the movie was somehow worse than the book.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

raspy trashfucker posted:

I'm Pickle Reek

I laughed at this and now I'm angry at myself for doing so.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Remember when GRRM would post a recap on his stupid blog every year about what he did the year before? I always enjoyed reading those to see what his newest excuse was for not writing. He hasn't even written one of those posts for 2 years. What a jerk!

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Wasn't the only reason Paolini got published was because his parents were like, important higher-ups at the publisher?

Like lmao that wasn't because he was any good at it.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I would imagine that the publishers saw a lot of marketing value in the novelty of having a fantasy book written to appeal to 15 year old teenage boys written by an actual teenager.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Remember when GRRM would post a recap on his stupid blog every year about what he did the year before? I always enjoyed reading those to see what his newest excuse was for not writing. He hasn't even written one of those posts for 2 years. What a jerk!

I remember. Martin was all tore up about still having some months of writing to do before finishing the book ... so it's probably best he's kept his queso hole shut about it.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

He hasn't even written one of those posts for 2 years.

You know what else he hasn't written for two years?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Wasn't the only reason Paolini got published was because his parents were like, important higher-ups at the publisher?

Like lmao that wasn't because he was any good at it.

They used to print pamphlets for the cult they were part of so they had access to an industrial scale self-publishing print shop :eng101:

Carl Hiaasen bought a copy for his kid while on vacation in Montana and then shopped it to Random House to get the kid to shut the gently caress up about it already.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

somewhere out there I bet there's a wild cards thread complaining about the editing getting shoddier

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

They used to print pamphlets for the cult they were part of so they had access to an industrial scale self-publishing print shop :eng101:

Carl Hiaasen bought a copy for his kid while on vacation in Montana and then shopped it to Random House to get the kid to shut the gently caress up about it already.

Oh, wow, that's a twist I didn't expect. Eragon is the product of a cult.

Unlike ASOIAF, which produced a cult.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh, wow, that's a twist I didn't expect. Eragon is the product of a cult.

Unlike ASOIAF, which produced a cult.

Doesn't pretty much every nerd thing produce a cult? There are people who have Klingon weddings for pete's sake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fhate posted:

Doesn't pretty much every nerd thing produce a cult? There are people who have Klingon weddings for pete's sake.

Otherway around, dude. Cult came first :eng101:

E: oh you mean about ASoIaF. Nah, that poo poo didn't get culty until the show came out. Before 2010 the most dedicated fan-produced thing w/r/t the books was that stupid video of a golden hand knocking over a goblet. That used to be the only thing that came up when you searched for Jamie Lannister on YouTube. Now it's so obscure you can't even find the loving thing anymore.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Otherway around, dude. Cult came first :eng101:

E: oh you mean about ASoIaF. Nah, that poo poo didn't get culty until the show came out. Before 2010 the most dedicated fan-produced thing w/r/t the books was that stupid video of a golden hand knocking over a goblet. That used to be the only thing that came up when you searched for Jamie Lannister on YouTube. Now it's so obscure you can't even find the loving thing anymore.

the earliest and yet still the greatest asoiaf derived work

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nine-gear crow posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Universal_and_Triumphant posted:

The church's theology is a syncretistic belief system, including elements of Buddhism, Christianity, esoteric mysticism, the paranormal and alchemy, with a belief in angels and elementals (or spirits of nature). It centers on communications received from Ascended Masters through the Holy Spirit. Many of the Ascended Masters, such as Sanat Kumara, Maitreya, Djwal Khul, El Morya, Kuthumi, Paul the Venetian, Serapis Bey, the Master Hilarion, the Master Jesus and Saint Germain, have their roots in Theosophy and the writings of Madame Blavatsky, C.W. Leadbeater, and Alice A. Bailey. Others, such as Buddha and Confucius, are historical religious figures.

Well I can see where he got his rampant originality from.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The best thing produced for/about this franchise is the Red Solo cup edit of Jamie Lannister.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lz3lAd2nGQ

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A YouTube comment in there suggests that the “Jammie knocking over a glass of wine” in the show is an homage to this, since apparently GRRM got a big kick out of this video when it came out and posted it to his Live Journal. Hopefully that’s true, because this video really takes me back.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
According to wiki:

Kenneth and Talita Paolini, the parents of Inheritance cycle author Christopher Paolini, were once members but later left the organization. They have since written the book 400 Years of Imaginary Friends: A Journey Into the World of Adepts, Masters, Ascended Masters, and Their Messengers, which discussed their experiences of the sect as well as a history of it related to other groups.[26]

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A YouTube comment in there suggests that the “Jammie knocking over a glass of wine” in the show is an homage to this, since apparently GRRM got a big kick out of this video when it came out and posted it to his Live Journal. Hopefully that’s true, because this video really takes me back.

Jaime knocks his wine glass @ castle darry in a feast for crows though?

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, the clip is from the books, tahnks to bookfans, bookwatchers, bookfanfilmers, &c.

quote:

The best thing produced for/about this franchise is the Red Solo cup edit of Jamie Lannister.

Shopped into the Night's King fanart. Yes it is. Yes.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

raspy trashfucker posted:

I'm Pickle Reek
More like No-Pickle Reek.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SaviourX posted:

Yeah, the clip is from the books, tahnks to bookfans, bookwatchers, bookfanfilmers, &c.
Minding the differences in scope, over I feel it's a stronger adaptation than HBO's Game of Thrones.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Our schizophrenic smut book was a better adaptation than HBO's series. It's not exactly a high bar to clear, guys.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Our schizophrenic smut book was a better adaptation than HBO's series. It's not exactly a high bar to clear, guys.

That book was a masterwork.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it out yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it out yet?

I nonchalantly flopped it on your shoulder while were watching a movie.