Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

Anyway the end of the year is coming right up and wasn't the Targaryen book supposed to be out by then?

I guess they'd want to hype it a little in the weeks/months leading to it and yet nothing... I think we all know what that means.

No one care about GRRM’s half-completed fake history book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
isn't is being written by the racist dorks from westeros.org who wrote the world book?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I care a lot. Especially if the new GoT show is going to be a prequel. So long as I'm able to spoil GoT shows in TVIV this entire ASoIaF thing will have been worthwhile.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

i don't regret the $30 i spent buying new avatars for the OP and other prolific posters of the TVIV thread with custom text spoiling the red wedding on the night that it aired. little did i know how precious that moment would be :ohdear:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marijuana posted:

i don't regret the $30 i spent buying new avatars for the OP and other prolific posters of the TVIV thread with custom text spoiling the red wedding on the night that it aired. little did i know how precious that moment would be :ohdear:

I watched the Red Wedding ep live with people who had already read the books so it was kinda like watching a hockey game. Like watching the Canucks get scored on by the Blalckhawks so many times in a row they just put Chelsea Dagger on repeat and walk away from the sound booth.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marijuana posted:

lol I was one of the fools spoiled by it. After that that I decided to just read the drat books

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Marijuana posted:

Omg this gives me a great idea for a particular whiny person in the rpdr thread

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Marijuana posted:

isn't is being written by the racist dorks from westeros.org who wrote the world book?

I know little to nothing about them. Why are they racist?

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

IIRC they were got mad on twitter about the tv show casting POCs for certain characters

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marijuana posted:

IIRC they were got mad on twitter about the tv show casting POCs for certain characters

Oh. So you mean "The Internet" then. The Internet gets steaming mad when people of colour and women enter its fragile white male safe space. It's really fukkin dum.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

My favorite is when Linda flipped her poo poo because some black guy won the Man Booker prize a few years ago. She then expounded how black people can't really write fantasy because there are no cultural ties between them and white medieval Europe.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

lol I was one of the fools spoiled by it. After that that I decided to just read the drat books

i'm so sorry

jit bull transpile posted:

this is probably bannable, but lowtax needs the money

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woodpile posted:

My favorite is when Linda flipped her poo poo because some black guy won the Man Booker prize a few years ago. She then expounded how black people can't really write fantasy because there are no cultural ties between them and white medieval Europe.

This sounds delicious. Got a link?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

This sounds delicious. Got a link?

Sadly, I didn't save it. She made the post soon after Marlon James won in 2015. She's got a Tumblr, a couple of Twitter accounts, and scads of other social media outlets making it hard to track it down so I gave up because super lazy.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woodpile posted:

Sadly, I didn't save it. She made the post soon after Marlon James won in 2015. She's got a Tumblr, a couple of Twitter accounts, and scads of other social media outlets making it hard to track it down so I gave up because super lazy.

It's cool, I was lazy, so was trying to pass it off to you :) Thanks for looking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Marijuana posted:

this is probably bannable, but lowtax needs the money
Lol, for better or worse, even admins can't see who bought a given avatar. In theory lowtax(and only lowtax) could try and match up credit card payments with the change but it'd be a ton of work for any given one, and there's no guarantee it'd be accurate or even possible. You don't even have to be logged in to buy an avatar. Spoilers for a tv show are....far from the worst consequence of this.

There's a history of any time a mod changes your avatar, but for paid-for avatar changes, there's nothing anyone can really do except change it back.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 17, 2018

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

kcroy posted:

took me a while to realize that was a door stop.

I deleted my google history, and I guess youtube is confused about who I am. They suggested some GOT clips. Whatever. So I rewatched a few arya scenes, and it really bothers me how bad assed she is. She never should have been able to keep up with Brienne. She never should have survived the Waif. And what was that "I'm the only one who can fight in the dark" thing with the candle? If they really wanted to give her an edge over the waif - it should have been some warging poo poo. I heard a good theory that the waif killed her, and took her face - which is about the only thing that makes sense. I'm sure that _isn't_ what happens, if only because Arya is 100% plot armor. But there is certainly room for that interpretation, especially with the candle going out, and not seeing who survived the fight.

I think they were trying to demonstrate that since Arya had that whole time period where she lost her eyesight that she puts the candle out to give her an edge fighting the Waif. It doesn’t make a lot of sense because pretty much only showed her getting her rear end kicked and being helpless when she was blind but I think that’s what they were implying.

I don’t think that Arya is really the Waif now. Fans would be pretty pissed off if at some point it was revealed that Arya is actually a secondary (tertiary?) character that hasn’t been mentioned in a season. Plus it showed Arya getting revenge for the Red Wedding, having a moment with Nymeria and heading to Winterfell; not exactly things the Waif would be doing.
You are right that the whole sequence of Arya in Bravos was handled badly. It’s bad enough when you can tell when the show doesn’t know what to do with some characters, like Sansa the season before last. But Arya going off to train with super assassins had a lot of potential but there are so many nonsensical things about it.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Lol, for better or worse, even admins can't see who bought a given avatar. In theory lowtax(and only lowtax) could try and match up credit card payments with the change but it'd be a ton of work for any given one, and there's no guarantee it'd be accurate or even possible. You don't even have to be logged in to buy an avatar. Spoilers for a tv show are....far from the worst consequence of this.

There's a history of any time a mod changes your avatar, but for paid-for avatar changes, there's nothing anyone can really do except change it back.

That is loving hilarious.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

King of Foolians posted:

I think they were trying to demonstrate that since Arya had that whole time period where she lost her eyesight that she puts the candle out to give her an edge fighting the Waif. It doesn’t make a lot of sense because pretty much only showed her getting her rear end kicked and being helpless when she was blind but I think that’s what they were implying.

I don’t think that Arya is really the Waif now. Fans would be pretty pissed off if at some point it was revealed that Arya is actually a secondary (tertiary?) character that hasn’t been mentioned in a season. Plus it showed Arya getting revenge for the Red Wedding, having a moment with Nymeria and heading to Winterfell; not exactly things the Waif would be doing.

Right - thanks I had forgotten the whole Arya goes blind thing. That makes sense. I agree that Arya dying ( and replaced ) won't happen, but it would be a pretty epic Red Wedding level twist, and I could see GRRM doing it in the book. I don't think he would, but could at least see that possibility.

King of Foolians posted:

You are right that the whole sequence of Arya in Bravos was handled badly. It’s bad enough when you can tell when the show doesn’t know what to do with some characters, like Sansa the season before last. But Arya going off to train with super assassins had a lot of potential but there are so many nonsensical things about it.

When Arya entered the house of black and white, and hid needle - it seemed the set up for her choice later on. That she would encounter an event that forced her to choose between the two lives, and I assumed it would be that she would be sent to assassinate Jon or Sansa. Instead she just sort of woke up one day and was like "welp, later". poo poo I don't even remember where the books left her. ( had to look it up: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Arya_Stark ). The leaked Mercy chapter tells us she is going a bit rogue. Even at this point she hardly seems like some insane assassin - she has 2 kills. neither of which suggest ninja like fighting skills. Just ability to change faces.

ZearothK posted:

There is literally cum everywhere in that picture.

well then that seems about right

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://entertainment.theonion.com/...tm_content=Main

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GRRM wanted the show to run for 13 years, but D&D told him to gently caress off, they were gonna finish the story without him.

Also the show won like 9 Emmys tonight or something. Whatever.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1041885234860580864

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There is nothing "buff" about gurm.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
The show runners and GRRM both obviously have zero fucks to give and you've put more thought into this than either of them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gurm should be the last person to ask more of something asoiaf related

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Gurm should be the last person to ask more of something asoiaf related

He wants time

Times up bitch, see you at tha crossroads

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirKibbles posted:

The show runners and GRRM both obviously have zero fucks to give and you've put more thought into this than either of them.

I've probably put more time into it also.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm going to rape a burly swordsman

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

avshalemon posted:

i'm going to rape a burly swordsman

not on my watch

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChubbyChecker posted:

not on my watch

wo strong belwas has finally been cast in the show??!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

jit bull transpile posted:

pls don't hurt me bb

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched the Red Wedding ep live with people who had already read the books so it was kinda like watching a hockey game. Like watching the Canucks get scored on by the Blalckhawks so many times in a row they just put Chelsea Dagger on repeat and walk away from the sound booth.

I watched the Red Wedding ep live with one who hadn't already read the books, so it was kinda like watching a hockey game. Like watching the Canucks get scored on by the Blalckhawks so many times in a row they just put Chelsea Dagger on repeat and walk away from the sound booth.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

a song of rear end and fart

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

yes

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Anders posted:

I watched the Red Wedding ep live with one who hadn't already read the books, so it was kinda like watching a hockey game. Like watching the Canucks get scored on by the Blalckhawks so many times in a row they just put Chelsea Dagger on repeat and walk away from the sound booth.

you really took me there tbh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

esperterra posted:

you really took me there tbh

tbf Chelsea Dagger's a really loving great song.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
As a song it's pretty meh, as a goal song it is loving glorious. And I'm not even a Blackhawks fan.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anders posted:

As a song it's pretty meh, as a goal song it is loving glorious. And I'm not even a Blackhawks fan.

It's a terrible song but it's a good goal song because it pisses off everyone who plays the Blackhawks. Having them run train on you and hearing that loving song repeatedly playing is awful.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blackhawks and Habs have the best sirens/goal songs in the league. Never mind that the Blackhawks are my favorite team and I'll always love the Original Six (besides Detroit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

avshalemon posted:

a song of rear end and fart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY