Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I used to wonder when I would 'get' fyad back when I first started lurking, when I asked a goon friend who posted there sometimes he said "what are you talking about there's nothing to loving 'get' retard" and I've never had to ask or wonder since

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SaviourX posted:

^^^^
I think we can do better nuance than 4chan.

the RR stands for Really Retarded

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
:chloe:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
GRRM is a dumb motherfucker because he could literally package the 6 or whatever chapters he already has released, put it in a nice glossy hardcover, and market it as some sort of preview/serial book and sell 50 million copies of it

he doesn't even have to write more

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Problem is how the fantasy genre has this unvoiced rule that the book isn't big enough until you can, at minimum, beat a man to death with the loving thing. There's a lot of insanely bloated tomes in those aisles.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In fairness, almost all of those books are also written by Brandon Sanderson, future author of The Winds Of Winter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's always fun when I pick up a new Neil Gaiman book because there's a trillion The Stand sized massive tomes and then there's his little paperback nestled between them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the more pages
the better value for money

loving duh

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's always fun when I pick up a new Neil Gaiman book because there's a trillion The Stand sized massive tomes and then there's his little paperback nestled between them.

What else is recommended Gaiman reading? I just finished Norse Mythology, and quite enjoyed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dangerllama posted:

What else is recommended Gaiman reading? I just finished Norse Mythology, and quite enjoyed it.

All his stuff is pretty good

Stardust, Coraline and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are all quick reads and extremely great

American Gods is too long and meandering but still good. Anansi Boys is a sort of sequel to it and is a lot different, but in good ways. It's also fairly short

Neverwhere is fine but hasn't aged particularly well

His book of essays is wildly inconsistent, but overall it's worth a read for the good pieces

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'd rank his books

Good Omens (my favorite book, like, ever)
American Gods
Anansi Boys
Neverwhere
Norse Mythology
Stardust
The Graveyard Book

I haven't read his short story collections. Also he wrote the Sandman comics, which are loving fantastic.

Also Coraline and Mirrormask were based on his children's novels of the same name.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

American Gods is really episodic, meandering, and long, whereas Anansi Boys is a lot more concise and tighter. I like them both but the latter is the better of the pair, to be honest.

I know this isn't the comics subforum but I also have to recommend the Sandman for your fantasy story needs.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'll happily recommend the Sandman comics.

It's got everything. Weird alternate dimension poo poo, bizarre lore, pitch black humor, and the most adorable rotting pervert corpse with mind control powers.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Dangerllama posted:

(Mostly) Still Life as a Cartoon Falafel. Truly the pinnacle of his career.

gently caress Gaiman.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dangerllama posted:

Norse Gods was a blatant cash-in which anyone that have ever read Norse mythology swiftly realizes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'd rank his books

Good Omens (my favorite book, like, ever)
American Gods
Anansi Boys
Neverwhere
Norse Mythology
Stardust
The Graveyard Book

I haven't read his short story collections. Also he wrote the Sandman comics, which are loving fantastic.

Also Coraline and Mirrormask were based on his children's novels of the same name.

i guess it's fair to point out that good omens is with the guy who wrote discworld as well

personally i like all of gaiman's stuff to varying degrees but have yet to finish the graveyard book or start norse mythology

some of his best short stories are a lot like a good episode of the twilight zone too

actually most good short stories are like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's worth getting the audiobook of The Ocean at the End of the Lane for the part where he explains how good Spotted Dick is

Someone pointed it out elsewhere but he really sounds a lot like Alan Rickman

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I met Gaiman on the American Gods tour. This is only notable because I didn't know who tf he was, or had read anything he wrote. I started reading Sandman Vol 1 before the signing.

That said, Gods is my second favourite thing of his ever, despite the wanderings and the rambling around small-town America. Right time, right tone, right age.

Sandman still is great, but you can skip Vol 1 for all the rough art and writing, exceeept it has two of the most 80s/early 90s horror comics in it that lay out groundwork for the rest of the series, so maybe not.

Coraline and Good Omens is third.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

actually most good short stories are like that

Maybe stay tuned for some of my stuff then.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
You will be pleased to know that good omens is coming to small screen next year. Shame they never got round to writing 668: Neighbour of the Beast. Alas poor Terry.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mike N Eich posted:

GRRM is a dumb motherfucker because he could literally package the 6 or whatever chapters he already has released, put it in a nice glossy hardcover, and market it as some sort of preview/serial book and sell 50 million copies of it

he doesn't even have to write more

I thought his publisher was going to do exactly that

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral posted:

You will be pleased to know that good omens is coming to small screen next year. Shame they never got round to writing 668: Neighbour of the Beast. Alas poor Terry.

In the line of round, bearded scifi/fantasy writers (ex Lucas, Rothuss, GRRM), Pratchett was the only good one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

I thought his publisher was going to do exactly that

"The Wit and Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Cardiac posted:

In the line of round, bearded scifi/fantasy writers (ex Lucas, Rothuss, GRRM), Pratchett was the only good one.

Pratchett was hardly round compared to gurm and lucas and such, and yet we lost him instead of one of the fat fucks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't really call Pratchett a fantasy writer either. A satirist, primarily, and one of the best.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
As I am obligated to post every time this thread mentions the late Sir Terry Pratchett:

It should have been you, GRRM. It should have been you.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kylaer posted:

As I am obligated to post every time this thread mentions the late Sir Terry Pratchett:

It should have been you, GRRM. It should have been you.

The only thing Pratchett wrote that I've read is Good Omens and yes, this is still correct.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Collateral posted:

I’m disappointed to find out this was supposed to be a thing and never happened. Love Good Omens.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Discworld seems tailor made to me for a long series of high budget Netflix/HBO/Amazon specials.

But I'm pretty glad they're restrained with it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Good Omens is by far Gaiman's best book, in no small part thanks to Pratchett's writing, to be fair.

Gaiman is decent in general, but I've found his books to be somewhat predictable after a point. Still one of the better fantasy writers.

Sandman is his magnum opus by a good margin (Good Omens doesn't count because Pratchett), but I've often wondered if it's because he used most of his good ideas there (American Gods is essentially expanding a concept presented in Season of Mists, for example) or because his writing stands head and shoulders above most comic book writers and in the middle of proper books he isn't that special. Or maybe Sandman was just a zeitgeist thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Discworld seems tailor made to me for a long series of high budget Netflix/HBO/Amazon specials.

But I'm pretty glad they're restrained with it.

the beeb has done a pretty good job so far

you can see fat hobbit as twoflower in the colour of magic. going postal and the hogfather are also great

e: there was some discussion of making a cop series with the city watch

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I unironically cited Boots Theory in a capex meeting the other day and the others were looking at me like some kind of sage.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

I unironically cited Boots Theory in a capex meeting the other day and the others were looking at me like some kind of sage.

so much wisdom :allears:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Hey if it works it’s not stupid. Plus I got what I wanted for my division so v:shobon:v

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Hey if it works it’s not stupid. Plus I got what I wanted for my division so v:shobon:v

i wasn't being sarcastic

pratchett was great and insightful and the world needs more people like him

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Other than Discworld which is insanely huge, what's a great Pratchett book? I feel like I should read more of his stuff if Good Omens is going to be my favorite book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

A good rule of thumb is to spend decent money on anything that separates you from the ground. Shoes, tires, beds, couches, etc.