Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never watched the Hugo Awards, but giving someone an award for an acceptance speech is some next level of huffing your own farts.

The Hugo award is a popularity contest, not a measurement of the absolute merit. You win the Hugo the same way you win any other popularity contest.

A. You write something that sells so many copies and has that certain something that maintains a fanbase and buzz. Eragon and Twilight are out because it would just be embarrassing, but if Brandon Sanderson takes an extra fifteen minutes to polish his prose on a novella he's a shoe-in.

B. You write something that sells pretty good and isn't embarrassingly bad and you manage to gain yourself a following through some other means than just sales numbers--a platform or an identity people unite behind that also makes the book difficult to criticize because if that happens the rabid fans attack.

C. A legitimately, undeniably great book that captures hearts and minds or at least ballots because nobody from A). or B). put anything out that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I always wondered what a trencher is supposed to look like. I always assumed they were eating subway sandwiches with how they’re described

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Calaveron posted:

I always wondered what a trencher is supposed to look like. I always assumed they were eating subway sandwiches with how they’re described

it’s a hollowed out sourdough loaf shaped like a bowl

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Calaveron posted:

They're just round, big round loaves of bread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

Saying "they filled their breadbowl with stew" is just too reader friendly and doesn't fit the setting. Unlike all the other modern words most fantasy novels use for exactly that reason.

I could really go for some brunswick stew in a breadbowl now.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why does GRRM use bougie terms like ‘gorget’ and ‘helm’ when he could just use ‘neck guard’ or ‘metal hat’ like a normal loving American?

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 7, 2020

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

he pulled some bullshit at the Hugo Loser's party also (i.e. the party for people who got nommed but didn't win) where most of the actual nominees couldn't get in because he did a lovely job of planning and it got full or something and he was like "welp too bad".

Like for example, he could've left, and once his fat rear end did, 2-3 actual working writers could've gone in. But the party was clearly really about him.

imagine the smells at that party

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shageletic posted:

imagine the smells at that party

Vape juice and BO.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Uncle Lloyd posted:

At this point, I assume he's basically totally scrapped an entire book's worth of material. He's never made it a secret that he lets the story grow on its own, but now that he's done that for so long I doubt he's been able to figure out a way to make it lead to the ending. I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to write the thing more or less by trial and error.

Winds of Winter
Chapter One

Syrio slowly ran the stone across the steel of the blade...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hasselblad posted:

Winds of Winter
Chapter One

Syrio slowly ran the stone across the steel of the blade...

"Come on in, the water's fine." Varys said from the surf, his merman tail out of place like nipples on a breastplate.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Winds of Winter
Chapter One

Rickon reclined in the warm summer sun, while in the back of his mind he sensed ShaggyDog's kill. The hot unicorn blood spraying across his teeth and gums. The young lord smiled. This is the life, he thought, and fell back asleep.

The End

Meanwhile, back at the wall...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
For George 1948 - 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

2023 is very optimistic.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Come on in, the water's fine." Varys said from the surf, his merman tail out of place like nipples on a breastplate.

Just so...

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, back at the Fortress of Solitude

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1294668936542400519

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ASoIaF: A Song of Ice and Fire: I mean, once upon a time, I actually wrote my books and stories

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Vichan posted:

ASoIaF: A Song of Ice and Fire: I mean, once upon a time, I actually wrote my books and stories

Technically he’s still writing fiction

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

TK-42-1 posted:

Technically he’s still writing fiction

:drat:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure who I'd be less surprised to see confirmed as a huge sexpest: GRRM or Rothfuss.

Just from the pictures we have from him at conventions it seems like a safe bet. Gurm that is. I only read that first Rothfuss book, and it was awful, but thinking back, yeah I wouldn't be shocked.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He lies like trump, only with longer words.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was there ever a theory that Dragonstone was a dormant volcano that could go off at any moment? Because the way it’s worded that it’s a dragon made of stone and that it’s rich in obsidian makes me suspect that was supposed to pay off at some point

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Calaveron posted:

Was there ever a theory that Dragonstone was a dormant volcano that could go off at any moment? Because the way it’s worded that it’s a dragon made of stone and that it’s rich in obsidian makes me suspect that was supposed to pay off at some point

Not the volcano part but yeah the dragon made of stone part. I think that Prester guy has some videos on it.

The volcano thing was part of the "dragon under Winterfell" theory, I thought?

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Collateral posted:

holy poo poo that was my first thought too.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Collateral posted:

(repost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeRboyjwDk

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Calaveron posted:

The Dragonmont is explicitly a volcano.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

bitch, you aren't writing anything. you only enjoy writing when it can shock people and asoiaf can't do that anymore because it got spoiled by the two hollywood idiots you sold it to

except for the readers who really want to know what happened to Gerold Dayne and Strong Belwas. they're in for a surprise!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

woops they died something something lemoncakes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He probably thinks he’s Superman too.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Write the book coward

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RCarr posted:

Write the book coward

https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250168016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Can’t wait to see GRRM rework the grayscale storyline into a covid allegory.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
At his age, Jorah only has a %99.6 chance of making a full recovery. It's practically a death sentence.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Stannis will actually die because he refuses to wear a mask.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Look, everybody knows that greyscale only kills the sick and elderly. The Maesters are lying to us, man.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Urdnot Fire posted:

Stannis will actually die because he refuses to wear a mask.

Stannis is the boring guy everyone hates because he does The Right Thing so hard it just feels wrong. He would wear a mask, mandate that his forces do so as well and enforce social distancing under pain of execution.

...And still lose because everyone else on Westeros is a bonkers self-destructive idiot.

Dany was right to burn them all, hth.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just have to cut out the Greyscale. Seems so easy nobody gave enough of a poo poo to try.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Eh, he just edits those though doesn't he, and other authors do the actual work of writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

Just have to cut out the Greyscale. Seems so easy nobody gave enough of a poo poo to try.

Especially since it leaves no scarring or other visible marks, even if it was covering most of their body.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Can’t wait to see GRRM rework the grayscale storyline into a covid allegory.

Hell, it's already there. Shireen has shown that children are much more likely to survive!

and have life-altering side effects that we're still trying to understand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
You can cure Greyscale just by chewing sourleaf. The maesters just don't want you to know about it.

Asshai gave the disease to Westeros to weaken the rightful Targaryen rulers!