Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mind the walrus posted:

Nah that just means David Tennant was in it and/or the show acknowledged that LGBTQ+ exists. The bar for young LGBTQ+ folk who want to watch something featuring "them" that isn't a depressing polemic about perseverance against oppression is actually quite low.

I honestly thought he was one of the worst things about it. His Crowley...it insisted upon itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey it's been 10+ years since he was last Doctor Who unless you count weird reunions/cameo appearances; got to keep the fans courted somehow

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I thought the series and book were pretty much joints in quality, a really strong start that unravelled into a mess at the end. The only thing that would have been cool to include was the biker gang.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

TK-42-1 posted:

Good Omens is so drat good

I don't understand why I didn't like either of Gaiman's Good Omens or American Gods. I read them when they came out, but just cou;dnt get into them. I can't even remember what they are about.

Collateral posted:

If Robert Smith doesn't have a cameo in Sandman then I hmm won't be happy. :mad:

He could play Despair.

He was so Dreamy

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Having limited familiarity with Sandman, I'm looking forward to it just for Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer

Ooh, that sounds good.

As someone who is incredibly familiar with Sandman...there is no way they pull the show off, but if they do, then goddamn. Inspired casting there though, positive sign.

Either way it can't be worse then Lucifer the TV show...

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Ooh, that sounds good.

As someone who is incredibly familiar with Sandman...there is no way they pull the show off, but if they do, then goddamn. Inspired casting there though, positive sign.

Either way it can't be worse then Lucifer the TV show...

The cast as a whole looks pretty decent. Tom Sturridge is dream though, and I haven't seen him in anything so I have no idea if he's up to it. Gwendolyn Christie as Lucifer, Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess, Stephen Fry as Fiddler's Green/Gilbert, and Asim Chaudhry as Abel are all fantastic however. And I'm glad they're willing to genderbend with Lucifer and Lucien/ne. That makes me hopeful that they're willing to make the changes needed to adapt from comics to TV. Right now I'm cautiously optimistic, but we'll see ultimately.

And don't get me started on the dang Lucifer show. My boyfriend hasn't read any of the comics but he stumbled across the show and absolutely loved it. He showed it to me to see how close of an adaption it was and I could not help but get angry. I think if they tried to make it it's own thing that would have been ok, but it was godawful as an adaptation.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s got to be better than The Watch

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The casting of Cain and Abel seems to be spot-on. Ditto with Stephen Fry and Charles Dance.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s got to be better than The Watch

Has that released yet, I fancy a good laugh.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Collateral posted:

Has that released yet, I fancy a good laugh.

It is, and is apparently not good. I haven't seen it, but here's Daniel Greene's review of it (he reviews books and book adaptions and dude LOVES him some Discworld).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXE5_oHxzms

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is it objectively bad, like Picard? Or just not discworld, "they have ruined my childhood forever !!!!1" subjectively bad?

The Night Watch is my favourite watch book, but I am willing to give it a chance.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The impression I got was that while "The Watch" was trying to proudly be its own thing it just failed to get there.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Collateral posted:

Is it objectively bad, like Picard? Or just not discworld, "they have ruined my childhood forever !!!!1" subjectively bad?

The Night Watch is my favourite watch book, but I am willing to give it a chance.

I would say a mixture of objectively bad AND "ruining my childhood forever" bad.

There are so many strange choices in terms of tone and style that it seems squarely aimed at a demographic of weird hipster fantasy fans that I don't think exists anywhere outside the imagination of the showrunners, but there are also signs that a real Discworld fan went through and lovingly recreated all sorts of scenes and stuff from the Discworld universe before handing it off to the producers to completely ruin it. It's a bad show in general, but there's also so much "what could have been" that it's just an amazing disappointment for anyone with any affection for the Discworld books.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Thats such a shame, the other, more faithful, adaptations have been hit and miss. Pratchett's humour tends to be very hard to translate due to word play and turn of phrase

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I really liked the Hogfather adaptation, Color of Magic not so much

re: The Watch

quote:

Neil Gaiman compared the series to "Batman if he's now a news reporter in a yellow trenchcoat with a pet bat".

Ouch.

To be completely honest I didn't even know there was a The Watch mini-series. Reading into it, I'm glad I didn't. Probably saved me a lot of "what the hell have they done with this".

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 6, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Collateral posted:

Thats such a shame, the other, more faithful, adaptations have been hit and miss. Pratchett's humour tends to be very hard to translate due to word play and turn of phrase

pratchett's works are unfilmable. the stuff that makes the books good doesn't work on screen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Facts. Pratchett's third-person omniscient narrator is a key "character" in every book that grounds the cartoonish characters and setting and is completely impossible to translate the same way. GRRM, for all his faults, does enough with actual table-setting to translate into telenovela.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Collateral posted:

How bad was Picard? I haven't watched it yet and I never saw much discussion online about it so I feared the worst. :ohdear:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
So bad infact there is a 90minute Mr. Plinkett "review."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Your tolerance depends entirely on how hard you pop a boner at the mere existence of old Star Trek actors existing on-screen again. Objectively it's a really poo poo show. It's trying to be a weird hybrid of "The TNG/VOY reunion special," "24: In Space" and "Oh Mass Effect was cool let's try to do that" and failing pretty hard at all three.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 6, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

But they’re bringing back John de Lancie for season 2! I always enjoyed the Q episodes.

I did kind of hate the end for season 1 though. It’s all a nostalgia show anyway.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How bad was Picard? I haven't watched it yet and I never saw much discussion online about it so I feared the worst. :ohdear:

Extremely dumb and poorly written.

One of the best lines was a character we weren't supposed to like yelling at Picard for being such a dumbass The sheer loving hubris!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Evil Fluffy posted:

it's awful

the first episode was more than enough

it removes all the things that made star trek interestin

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I really liked the Hogfather adaptation, Color of Magic not so much

re: The Watch

Ouch.

To be completely honest I didn't even know there was a The Watch mini-series. Reading into it, I'm glad I didn't. Probably saved me a lot of "what the hell have they done with this".

I am watching it and its fine. I am a huge Pratchett fan, and reread (well listen these days) all the discworld books each year. It is its own thing.

Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer. His opinions are worthless.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Watch would have been fine if they had just come up with new names for everything and didn’t try to lean on the books for characterization and then completely ignore what made them good.

It’s a pretty decent show without that oddly unnecessary baggage.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Kind of like pennyworth in that respect.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
man have you guys ever stopped to consider how insanely big the wall actually is

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Collateral posted:

Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer. His opinions are worthless.
I don't like to judge a man, but honestly Gaiman was a goth kid idol in the 90s, so it can't help but strike me as weird that out of all the women he ended up going with Palmer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

kalvanoo posted:

man have you guys ever stopped to consider how insanely big the wall actually is

Just as often as I remember that GRRM envisioned Westeros being the size of Great Britain but accidentally made it the size of South America.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just as often as I remember that GRRM envisioned Westeros being the size of Great Britain but accidentally made it the size of South America.

My favorite bit is the continent spanning from unimaginable cold to the equatorial desert and yet you can travel it on foot in 3 days or 7 years depending on plot necessity.

Basically if you're going to write a fantasy novel have a nerd who knows how to do that thing where you take a compass (the pencil and needle one which is so dumb for having the same name as the spinning magnet one) and ruler to draw a route, otherwise huge dorks will harass you forever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

My favorite bit is the continent spanning from unimaginable cold to the equatorial desert and yet you can travel it on foot in 3 days or 7 years depending on plot necessity.

Basically if you're going to write a fantasy novel have a nerd who knows how to do that thing where you take a compass (the pencil and needle one which is so dumb for having the same name as the spinning magnet one) and ruler to draw a route, otherwise huge dorks will harass you forever.

Mine is how dorky Westeros looks when compared to basically the rest of the world map in its various incarnations.

Essos, Ulthos, and Sothoryos all look like real continents, while Westeros is just this weird derpy vertical thing that stretches off the map, and god knows how long Sothoryos keeps going for too. The more they reveal of what the world of the series looks like, the less it makes sense.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This is a series where a pre-industrial civilization somehow manages to survive years-long winters when today with modern tech it would be a pretty dicey gamble if the loving species, let alone civilization, could manage that. And despite all the other fantasy conceits, there's no like miraculous Dwarf Fortress style crop that can be grown year-round underground and which is nourishing if bland or whatever. We are to believe that somehow what amounts to medieval Europe is able to survive without meaningful agriculture for as long as a decade.

The series was always predicated on super shaky and absurd world building and I never thought it was one of its strengths.

EDIT: Like, seriously. If the species survived a multi-year winter it would be a miracle. There is absolutely no way the survivors of Westeros, if there are any, aren't collapsing into the stone age every spring.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Ulthos???? ULTHOS??? why does that even exist

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The dudes on sothyros, unhindered by the constant ice-ages, must be chill as hell, I bet those guys are already flying rockets to the moonyros.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ulthos???? ULTHOS??? why does that even exist

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Whoa whoa whoa - WHERE pray tell are the three Farman isles - Aegon/Visenya/Rhaenys? Totally inaccurate map :rolleyes:

My favorite thing is how random Lovecraft locations just show up in Westeros without any real explanation beyond "GRRM think Lovecraft stuff is cool" for there being places like Leng and K'Dath on the map.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 13, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Mine is how dorky Westeros looks when compared to basically the rest of the world map in its various incarnations.

Essos, Ulthos, and Sothoryos all look like real continents, while Westeros is just this weird derpy vertical thing that stretches off the map, and god knows how long Sothoryos keeps going for too. The more they reveal of what the world of the series looks like, the less it makes sense.

Isn't there also yet another continent in the far West, or is the map properly wrapping around and that magic wasteland is represented by the unnamed coast to the Northeast of Ulthos?

Also, if Westeros is South-America sized, another continent hiding in the giant western ocean would mean this planet if loving gigantic, larger than Earth and with higher gravity.

Alternatively, if Westeros is Great Britain sized, the planet is too tiny and there be better multiple more continents hiding outside this map in all directions.

Either way, this map is hosed.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, this is the 'most accurate' map of Planetos afaik from the Atlas of Ice and Fire coffee table book that came out a while ago:

I kinda think it all does a look bit less dorky and stupid when viewed like this. I feel like the map would both make more sense and look even sillier on a globe, given that Essos and Westeros are probably connected and actually the same continent. The proof for this is that The Grey Wastes and The Land of Always Winter both seem to be places where the Others came from, and both are blocked off via similar constructs - The Five Forts and The Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah maybe the planet is actually tilted 45 from the way it is oriented in the map, which could perhaps make sense if we go the sci-fi route and assume that the magnetic north is just not oriented with the planet's pole, does planetos even have compasses? I don't remember.

But anyway I'll go on the nerd record again and say that the lack of plausibility in gurm's world is really just about the last thing that bothers me in his writing, it would have been okay had gurm worried less about this sort of plausibility and ancillary consistency and just wrote words.