Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like yeah, he's gross and creepy but that's just a creepy weirdo, not a sexpest. Besides, there's more than enough stuff in his works to comfortably say he's got some serious issues around women, sexuality, and especially race. ACOUP's excellent series of articles on how the Dothraki are absolutely nothing like the historical peoples Martin claims they are based on but everything like racist depictions of those people is pretty much something that always comes to mind.
One of the most dangerous and disingenuous things we all did back in the 90s and 00s was give this poo poo a pass because "it's a subversion." We all got trained way too hard on the mainstreaming of irony and deconstruction and "end of history" millennium hyping to realize that all we were doing was excusing a dinosaur's worst tendencies.

20 years later and it still feels like we've only just really gotten out from under that shadow, and the Absolute Fucker still bitched about it hard enough to make the Hugo Awards revolve around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best racist outrage over casting was for the little girl in the first Hunger Games movie because it’s explicitly said in the book that she’s black but lost of people read over it and pictured her as some perfect little white girl.

This happens with anime and manga constantly too. There’s no shortage of people who think Naruto (or any blonde character in anything else) is white.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really love how Ursula K. Le Guin purposely subverted the trope of the magical white fantasy hero in A Wizard of Earthsea in part by waiting until like a quarter of the way into the book to casually mention that the protagonist (and just about everyone in the story) all have various shades of dark skin - at which point you've already identified with the character and it really doesn't matter.

I feel like she pulled a similar kind of trick in The Left Hand of Darkness, which also had a dark-skinned protagonist - except in that book we are utterly obliged by necessity to identify with and relate to Genly Ai, because he's the only human and gendered character, so his skin color is almost amusingly irrelevant and inconsequential in the face of far more profound differences.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I remember loving that about Earthsea. Just a world with different shades of brown people while the white people were like, the ignorant violent barbarians on the fringe of the world.
Although one of them does become the POV of the second and fourth books.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

This happens with anime and manga constantly too. There’s no shortage of people who think Naruto (or any blonde character in anything else) is white.
Depending on the hour you can legit start riots at conventions by pointing out the anime characters aren't white.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

mind the walrus posted:

One of the most dangerous and disingenuous things we all did back in the 90s and 00s was give this poo poo a pass because "it's a subversion." We all got trained way too hard on the mainstreaming of irony and deconstruction and "end of history" millennium hyping to realize that all we were doing was excusing a dinosaur's worst tendencies.

20 years later and it still feels like we've only just really gotten out from under that shadow, and the Absolute Fucker still bitched about it hard enough to make the Hugo Awards revolve around it.

GRRM was just preparing us for the books not being finished. We expect a writer to complete their series, he is subverting that. It’s just part of his style.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

latinotwink1997 posted:

GRRM was just preparing us for the books not being finished. We expect a writer to complete their series, he is subverting that. It’s just part of his style.

A surprise release of Winds quickly followed up by Dream would be the most radical subversion of everyone's expectations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

A surprise release of Winds quickly followed up by Dream would be the most radical subversion of everyone's expectations.

It’s funny how to this day there are people who still believe that it’s taking so long because he’s writing both at the same time even though he’s come out and said that he isn’t and he will not create some kind of clue scavenger hunt for fans to figure out if he’s done or not. When it’s done he’s going to literally post “it’s done” on his blog. Before that happens literally nothing else he’s doing or seems to be doing actually points to anything.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s funny how to this day there are people who still believe that it’s taking so long because he’s writing both at the same time even though he’s come out and said that he isn’t and he will not create some kind of clue scavenger hunt for fans to figure out if he’s done or not. When it’s done he’s going to literally post “it’s done” on his blog. Before that happens literally nothing else he’s doing or seems to be doing actually points to anything.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I want to believe.

*x-files theme music*

The Truth is out there (it’s that he’s not writing poo poo).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
THE PAGES ARE OUT THERE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah he pretty clearly just wants to lower everyone's expectations so people are really surprised when he runs a three month long ARG culminating in the simultaneous release of both TWOW and ADOS on Christmas day.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
it is physically impossible to write two books when you're on a jetski with beautiful babes

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
https://entertainment.theonion.com/famous-authors-describe-their-biggest-rejections-1846848968

It’s fine GRRM, you can keep them

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

This takes me back. Good times.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Woodpile posted:

This takes me back. Good times.

I really hate that twee cutesy writing style.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Must suck to be the #1 fans of a series that will never finish.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

Must suck to be the #1 fans of a series that will never finish.

I've read so many webcomics that just randomly stopped updating for seemingly no reason. I've been GRRM'd so many times already that when GRRM did it I felt nothing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I've read so many webcomics that just randomly stopped updating for seemingly no reason. I've been GRRM'd so many times already that when GRRM did it I felt nothing.

ngl I'm still a bit salty over thepunchlineismachismo.com randomly ending over a boilerplate God of War 4 joke. That comic deserved way better than it got.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
RIP Superpoop and MarriedToTheSea

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here lies The Life of Riley: its antagonist screamed her own name in Hewbrew so loud it died.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Cucumber Quest was too pure for this internet.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

At least we still have Ctrl Alt Delete

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Here lies The Life of Riley: its antagonist screamed her own name in Hewbrew so loud it died.

Man I was thinking about that comic the other day. I remember being so amazed on the pages where they embedded songs that synced up with the panels. I'm so sad that the archives only have like half the pages and no music.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I will never get over the loss of Lucid TV and how I still can't find a full archive of that comic. It's baffling. So much awful poo poo manages to never get erased forever, but that masterpiece does.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I know it's been ages since it updated, but I thought the full archive was still on its site ?

Also, unless I'm missing a joke, MarriedToTheSea still seems to be updating.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Drakyn posted:

I know it's been ages since it updated, but I thought the full archive was still on its site ?

:tipshat: thanks!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

nine-gear crow posted:

You just reminded me I haven't checked on Gone With the Blastwave in like 3 years. I bet he updated at least twice in that time (EDIT: wow, more like half a dozen. Guy's been busy).

The first dead webcomic I remember was one I read in high school called Hellbound. It was apparently close to ending but the updates just died for it.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 16, 2021

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

Evil Fluffy posted:

had the middle eastern empire be full of literal inhuman monsters.

I'm sorry, you gotta explain this to me. Is this like racist or something?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

TERFherder posted:

I'm sorry, you gotta explain this to me. Is this like racist or something?

Generally making analogies of real life races/regions/nationalities evil is pretty racially charged. In fact Abercrombie made the Middle Eastern analogues normal except for their leaders who were magic cannibals, but then he also made the leader of the European analogies a mass murderer sociopath with a magic cannibal apprentice. Plus he makes an effort to show the ordinary dudes as being normal people deserving of sympathy and taking a pro-immigration stance.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah like if we're making comparisons, the Eaters in Abercrombie's series are clearly supposed to stand in for Isis or similar group taking advantage of and terrorizing the civilian population in the countries it occupies. If you're okay with spoilers, BotL did a big examination of Abercrombie's The First Law with the most uncharitable reading imaginable, but I do have to nod my head that it is possible to read the series that way and thus view it as problematic.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&pagenumber=39#post487079474

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Drakyn posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. Although that seems to be some revival not the originals? I don't see Dr. Mario or the Owls in my quick skim.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Oh poo poo, nice. Although that seems to be some revival not the originals? I don't see Dr. Mario or the Owls in my quick skim.
I'd vaguely encountered the owlectomy comic and until this moment I had no idea it was from Lucid-TV so yeah I guess at some point they rebooted? Sorry for the false alarm there.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ccs posted:

Yeah like if we're making comparisons, the Eaters in Abercrombie's series are clearly supposed to stand in for Isis or similar group taking advantage of and terrorizing the civilian population in the countries it occupies.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833655&pagenumber=39#post487079474

The original trilogy was published in 2006 to 2008, and apparently first drafts were written years earlier, and while ISIL was founded before that, it didn't really come into public consciousness until 2011.

Warden fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 18, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CIA backed middle eastern terrorists go back way further than ISIL.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just want to remind everyone Iran used to be super cool and then BP decided they needed their oil so the CIA installed the imams and Ayatollah and whatnot because the theocratic regime types were fine with exploitation of the land as long they had power and then the last 60 years of bullshit happened and the Iranian people got hosed over hard by the CIA and BP.

See also: Taliban, House of Saud, the ruling families of Kuwait, Dubai, every square inch of Central and South America, etc.

If you have anything of value to the US the CIA will install a brutal dictatorship that's open to trade.

And we quit hiding it, too. We're just perfectly fine with being the villain now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Just want to remind everyone Iran used to be super cool and then BP decided they needed their oil so the CIA installed the imams and Ayatollah and whatnot because the theocratic regime types were fine with exploitation of the land as long they had power and then the last 60 years of bullshit happened and the Iranian people got hosed over hard by the CIA and BP.

See also: Taliban, House of Saud, the ruling families of Kuwait, Dubai, every square inch of Central and South America, etc.

If you have anything of value to the US the CIA will install a brutal dictatorship that's open to trade.

And we quit hiding it, too. We're just perfectly fine with being the villain now.

What? That's not what happened in Iran at all. Quite the opposite really.
Edit: Is this a troll I just didn't get?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah the US installed the Sha in the 1950s not the Ayatollah in the 1970s. So you know last 70 years of bullshit are the US's fault.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah the US installed the Sha in the 1950s not the Ayatollah in the 1970s. So you know last 70 years of bullshit are the US's fault.

Yeah, my bad. It's been like 15 years since I read about this.

The Iranian CIA puppet was the one ousted by the brutal theocracy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

a theocracy that is better for most people than the CIA-backed dictatorship, but still worse than what came before both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yeah, my bad. It's been like 15 years since I read about this.

The Iranian CIA puppet was the one ousted by the brutal theocracy.

A theocracy that was armed by Ronald Reagan through secret and illegal arms sales and whose original revolutionaries helped Reagan's campaign by agreeing to not release their hostages until after the 1980 election. :eng101: