Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I liked a lot of the "pointless" stuff in dance, tyrion hanging out on a canal boat travelling around with a new crew being a huge dickhead and bad role model

Danys chapter where she opens the fighting pit and drogon arrives is one of my favs

I also thought the sandsnakes were gonna be so cool and really hyped them and zombie cat up to my show-watching friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

I also thought the sandsnakes were gonna be so cool and really hyped them and zombie cat up to my show-watching friends

you wanted the good characters but you needed the bad pussy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The show’s Sand Snakes still aren’t as cringe as the book’s Darkstar.

He is of the night.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Platystemon posted:

He is of the night.

You shouldn't besmirch ~-*-~Darkstar~-*-~ ITT if you know what's good for you

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Platystemon posted:

He is of the night.

The point of darkstar is he is cringe joke character, he'd have been a fun show character in an alternate universe

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm a bit into book 2 now. I'd heard that Stannis was really cool. So far he is garbage tier. He's not stupid (so far) like sansa but he's just such a dick. He's totally unlikable. Yuck.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm a bit into book 2 now. I'd heard that Stannis was really cool. So far he is garbage tier. He's not stupid (so far) like sansa but he's just such a dick. He's totally unlikable. Yuck.

You mean Stannis the Mannis?

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Stannis the only dude who gets it?

STANNIS THE ONLY DUDE WHO LOVES HIS DAUGHTER gently caress YOU SHOW!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Arya goes "west of Westeros" in the show.

Which probably means death in the actual book setting, no one's ever known to have survived, definitely not an inexperienced sailor with a crew of mercenary sailors. Elissa Farman, or her boat, might have.

In the show, she's immortal so she'll have landed the secret continent between Essos and Westeros, HBOros.

You know, I'd play a FFXVI-style RPG set in Valyria, with you exploring ancient ruins with Arya. Post-apocalyptic fantasy, only Arya, a good sword and tons of monsters and treasures.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The point of darkstar is he is cringe joke character, he'd have been a fun show character in an alternate universe

Nah he’s a badass in the mind of George.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/LA_Con_IV_Anaheim_CA_August_23_27/ posted:

George doesn't seem to have known that Darkstar isn't very popular. ;) He thought that a "bad boy" character would go over well, since people seem to love the Hound and even Theon Greyjoy so very much. We will probably have to have a discussion about this at the BwB party. ;)

e: And some speculation: We know that George had at one point planned for a five‐year timeskip after A Storm of Swords. Edric Dayne may have been intended to grow into the badass Dayne of this generation. But now he’s too young. So George introduced Gerold “Darkstar” Dayne to fill his role.

tl;dr: The Darkstar will become the Sword of the Morning and wield Dawn, only to be felled by Meera Reed and a net Valyrian steel shotgun.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 25, 2024

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

The point of ~•darkstar•~ is he is cringe joke the best character, he'd have been a fun show character in an alternate universe the protagonist if the next books were ever written

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TGG posted:

Best characters in these books

Strong Belwas
Barristan The Bold
Garlan Tyrell
Patchface

No more questions

What the gently caress is this Ser Pounce erasure

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I think it's pretty incredible how load-bearing Young Griff/Aegon turned out to be. Of course, you could argue that GRRM shouldn't have introduced a load-bearing character in book 5 of a 7(ish) book series. Double of course, D&D had several years to put him into the show after ADWD came out, and opted not to.

But without him, you have King's Landing held by...Cersei. And basically nobody else, for two seasons. With him (presumably) Dany will have an actual challenge taking over Westeros, since there's a popular king already who (maybe?) gets one of her dragons.

Hell, maybe he'll win. That would subvert expectations nicely. He and Jon can get married and everyone will be happy.

von Metternich fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 26, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

von Metternich posted:

I think it's pretty incredible how load-bearing Young Griff/Aegon turned out to be. Of course, you could argue that GRRM shouldn't have introduced a load-bearing character in book 5 of a 7(ish) book series. Double of course, D&D had several years to put him into the show after ADWD came out, and opted not to.

But without him, you have King's Landing held by...Cersei. And basically nobody else, for two books. With him (presumably) Dany will have an actual challenge taking over Westeros, since there's a popular king already who (maybe?) gets one of her dragons.

Hell, maybe he'll win. That would subvert expectations nicely. He and Jon can get married and everyone will be happy.

Related, over in the TVIV thread for D&D's latest, 3 Body Problem, we're having a good time discussing all the changes D&D made to the books and the massive plot holes a bunch of them create. Plus ca change, eh?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

von Metternich posted:

Satin will not be happy.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Platystemon posted:

Satin will not be happy.

They can marry Satin too; Targs love polygamy.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Young whippersnappers can't recognize greatness like Ser Pounce or ~•°Darkstar°•~. They probably think Lem Pisscloak is an insignificant character too

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Tarnop posted:

Related, over in the TVIV thread for D&D's latest, 3 Body Problem, we're having a good time discussing all the changes D&D made to the books and the massive plot holes a bunch of them create. Plus ca change, eh?

This sounds less fun than rereading A Feat for Crones

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if George even had an answer for what happened to Ashara Dayne and why they named their main heir after Ned.

I guess the latter could be they just liked his honor a lot, but it’s still a little weird.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

bobjr posted:

I wonder if George even had an answer for what happened to Ashara Dayne and why they named their main heir after Ned.

I guess the latter could be they just liked his honor a lot, but it’s still a little weird.

isnt there a theory that she's Howland's wife (and Meera is their daughter)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Anders posted:

This sounds less fun than rereading A Feat for Crones

I enjoyed myself but now I'm tired

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zippy the Bummer posted:

isnt there a theory that she's Howland's wife (and Meera is their daughter)

Probably. There's also a theory that Storms End is a nuclear power plant. All kinds of stuff going on in the theoryverse

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Anders posted:

They probably think Lem Pisscloak is an insignificant character too

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Richard_Lonmouth

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Ashara killed herself because the man she loved killed her brother in battle. It's a perfectly reasonable background tragedy, it doesn't need deep meaning or theorizing.

Same as the battle at the Tower of Joy itself - three superb fighters take on seven good fighters, and the three superb fighters and five of the seven good fighters die. You don't need to theorize that Howland used magic or anything outlandish, that outcome is a perfectly plausible one, especially with the kind of story GRRM was originally trying to tell.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Who Is Lem Lemoncloak On 'Game Of Thrones'? He May Play A Big Role

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Nah he’s a badass in the mind of George.

e: And some speculation: We know that George had at one point planned for a five‐year timeskip after A Storm of Swords. Edric Dayne may have been intended to grow into the badass Dayne of this generation. But now he’s too young. So George introduced Gerold “Darkstar” Dayne to fill his role.

tl;dr: The Darkstar will become the Sword of the Morning and wield Dawn, only to be felled by Meera Reed and a net Valyrian steel shotgun.

You know, back when I was reading the books, it was immediately obvious to me that John Snow would be the Sword of the Morning. All those other theories were totally unknown to me, luckily. Their inherent wrongness would have creeped me the hell out.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Still committed to the theory of "Robert Strong Is Just A New Guy"

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

mossyfisk posted:

Randor Clegane

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

mossyfisk posted:

my version of this is "aegon is real and it dosen't matter"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm about 25% into clash of kings. Maybe less. Let's say 20%. And roughly 75% of this isn't in the show. Which is nice. None of it really matters, but getting Jorahs back story was pretty cool.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
It'll probably take when you get to ASOS, but the Mannis is the One True King

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

von Metternich posted:

Randor Clegane

Rand al'Clegane

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dickon Manwoody

And the Triarch Belico slain by the giant Elisha

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Waltzing Along posted:

A "Starks aren't stupid" version of the book might be interesting. It would just be a single novel but still fun.

Dany dead early on.
Bran doesn't thrown out of tower.
Joffrey gets killed early on.
Cersei/Jamie get found out and exposed.
And on and on.

Pretty much all stems from Catelyn's idiocy.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

TGG posted:

Best characters in these books

Strong Belwas
Barristan The Bold
Garlan Tyrell
Patchface

No more questions

You left out a certain Lightning Lord (well, until he decided to give it up for a zombie Cat)

Xiahou Dun posted:

:hmmyes:

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 30, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of the best counterfactuals is “Ned takes a cue from Sansa and sends Loras after Gregor Clegane.”

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I would honestly trade the entire Dany storyline for a few chapters of what occurred behind the scenes with Dondarion.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Platystemon posted:

One of the best counterfactuals is “Ned takes a cue from Sansa and sends Loras after Gregor Clegane.”

Haven't thought about that one in a while. What a bizarrely un-Starkish idea that would have been

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Book's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Woodpile posted:

Book's out.

nice, how is it?