Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rape Jake. posted:

Someone in this thread make a non-spoiler Game of Thrones thread in TVIV.

I like my :10bux: thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Jon's undead sperm + Daenerys' dead womb = Lotsa babies

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

mind the walrus posted:

I like my :10bux: thank you very much.

Why would you get banned for making a thread?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

El Hefe posted:

Yes he did, go back and watch season 1 if you want.

I just watched both. He doesn't tell any story at all, much less the one about being sold as a boy to a sorceror who burned them to contact some powerful entity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rape Jake. posted:

You really are new here aren't you?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rape Jake. posted:

Please try and make one yourself :allears:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've never indulged in fantasy-casting before but hearing that Lady Selyse is going to be in next season has me hoping that HBO gets Tom Selleck to play her.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
Can someone give me a reason other than smug digs at my reg date?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rape Jake. posted:

Aatrek hates us, well all mods hate us, but him especially. Also there already is a spoiler thread for GoT in TVIV anyway. I haven't read it, but it's there.

e: oh wait, you mean make a non-spoiler thread as in steal it from Rarity? That would not go over well at all and you'd get probated at a minimum. I think the mods are happy with those idiots self policing themselves about the books that DO NOT EXIST :ssj:

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

IRQ posted:

Aatrek hates us, well all mods hate us, but him especially. Also there already is a spoiler thread for GoT in TVIV anyway. I haven't read it, but it's there.

The non spoiler thread has been closed for 2 days and I want to post in it.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Rape Jake. posted:

Why?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rape Jake. posted:

You are confusing me with what you mean by non-spoiler. Either way, I think I've explained why it's a bad idea. Especially for bad thread regulars.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

It's just entertaining to discuss the show with people who haven't read the books, I guess. It's like being a child again.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, last year we got a ton of poo poo for being around the non-spoiler threads with everyone afraid people were going to pull and FYAD and rename the thread title "NED DIES" or some poo poo, and while I'm all for WILD CARD-ing it up you have to pick your battles--making a non-spoiler thread for the last thread of Season 2 is not a good time to pick that battle.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah, last year we got a ton of poo poo for being around the non-spoiler threads with everyone afraid people were going to pull and FYAD and rename the thread title "NED DIES" or some poo poo, and while I'm all for WILD CARD-ing it up you have to pick your battles--making a non-spoiler thread for the last thread of Season 2 is not a good time to pick that battle.

I pass for a TV noob. I've even had some of my choicer quotes reposted in this thread a couple times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Then please, go on ahead. Regular posters and anyone with a WILD CARDS tag is not going to be stupid enough to indulge you.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Wild Cards are too scared of losing their wild cards tag, for shame wild cards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Actually most of the truly notorious WILD CARDS can and have lost theirs. Like I said the trick is to pick your battles when you can help it.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

mind the walrus posted:

Actually most of the truly notorious WILD CARDS can and have lost theirs. Like I said the trick is to pick your battles when you can help it.

You sound like a pussy.

edit- a Wild Card making a legit GoT non-spoiler thread would be really cool.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rape Jake. posted:

Someone in this thread make a non-spoiler Game of Thrones thread in TVIV.

This is what got the mods uptight last year and we started getting axed/banned/probated for lifting the slightest little finger (pun from the books).

So let's not.

So I know they cut a lot from the book that's in the television series, but I couldn't help but think...the chain.

The chain Tyrion had all the blacksmiths in King's Landing make links for. That was the most brilliant idea he had as a tactician.

Now in the TV series, his only tactical thing was filling up that boat with Wildfire.

IRQ posted:

e: oh wait, you mean make a non-spoiler thread as in steal it from Rarity? That would not go over well at all and you'd get probated at a minimum. I think the mods are happy with those idiots self policing themselves about the books that DO NOT EXIST :ssj:

Aatrek is pretty cool in PMs but I didn't dare go into TVIV with that Robbatar.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Dead Man Posting posted:

This is what got the mods uptight last year and we started getting axed/banned/probated for lifting the slightest little finger (pun from the books).

So let's not.

Were they legit threads or full of gibbering simps screaming "NED STARK DIES" every 2nd post?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Dead Man Posting posted:

Now in the TV series, his only tactical thing was filling up that boat with Wildfire.

Encircling the badguy party at the mud gate was a Really Good Idea and it was that guys idea. It would have worked too if not for those meddling knights.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
That's one of the follies of adapting a work for television. You cannot ask television audience members to think. Trying to impress them with tactical brilliance is a fool's errand. It's a visual medium and they decided, with a limited budget, to carry off the battle in a visually impressive way.

What stuns me is that there was at least one person in the non-spoiler thread with knickers in a twist because someone "spoiled" that there was wildfire on the ship. As in, they've never heard of the concept of a fire ship, they forgot there was a major scene about wildfire, they forgot Tyrion's multiple allusions to using wilfire in the battle, they didn't understand the significance of the head pyromancer standing right there waiting for it to explode, didn't grasp that Bronn was planning to light something on fire, and so on. They literally saw nothing but one ship floating towards the others and were annoyed that someone disturbed their deliberate, concentrated refusal to think by tying all of those things together for them in a neat bow five seconds before the show did it anyway.

That's the kind of people you're dealing with when writing for television. They've honed their ignorance, like a man running a whetstone down the blade of a knife to flatten the edge.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rape Jake. posted:

You sound like a pussy.

Put your money where your mouth is then. Go on, impress an internet stranger. I'm sure it's worth it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rape Jake. posted:

Were they legit threads or full of gibbering simps screaming "NED STARK DIES" every 2nd post?

Similar to this year, you had your sandy vaginas flipping out about the written word, any reference to the written word and any reference to the existence of words that are written down.

Also cycloneman deciding to white knight for incest and trying to give out to me for referring to incest babies as mongos.

And Green Buccaneer flipping out that Loras and Renly were playing ram the prostate because THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE BOOKS!

Plus the usual crap of speculation that turned out to be right. I think one or both of the aforementioned were absolute whores for doing that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My favorite was the guy who got banned for being a backseat mod after a month-log probation.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Ambiguatron posted:

That's the kind of people you're dealing with when writing for television. They've honed their ignorance, like a man running a whetstone down the blade of a knife to flatten the edge.

I had a conversation with a girl this week who had read the books years ago and now watches and loves the TV show and she would not stop calling Tyrion "that dwarf". It was like staring into an abyss. She read the books and watched the show and still had no loving clue what was going on. How does that even loving happen?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Dead Man Posting posted:

So I know they cut a lot from the book that's in the television series, but I couldn't help but think...the chain.

The chain Tyrion had all the blacksmiths in King's Landing make links for. That was the most brilliant idea he had as a tactician.

Now in the TV series, his only tactical thing was filling up that boat with Wildfire

Toning down his tactical prowess fits with the show's approach to his character. He makes it clear in his conversations with Cercei that he's not cut out for planning the defense, and that he lacks training in the entire area of military strategy and tactics. His success comes entirely from knowing how to play the game and deal with people instead of the Plumber of Casterly Rock being a great armchair general. This plays into the aftermath of the battle, and having credit stolen from him by his sister and father. Political machinations don't leave a paper trail, but a giant chain has a physicality to it that can't be denied.

Changing the nature of the wildfire ship also works to the show's benefit, as it's the first widely witnessed example of magic being utilized in warfare in Westeros since the dragons died out. The shadow assassination of Renly was the first, but only a handful of people are aware of what actually transpired. The wildfire bomb going off in the bay was a horrific example of what's possible now that magic has returned to the world. Hundreds of men dead in an instant, and only Tyrion and Sandor seemed to understand the magnitude the event. It acts as a reminder for the viewer that when Dany's dragons come to Westeros[never gonna happen], things will get even worse for everyone involved.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ehh, I'd hesitate to call the Wildfire Bomb an example of magic returning. It certainly went off with a bang, but no more than you'd expect from a ship with thousands (tens of thousands?) of containers of volatile chemicals on board. In the books, at least, magic only affected Wildfire by making it easier to produce.

Rape Jake. posted:

You sound like a pussy.

Rarity's been doing a drat good job so far, why steal his thunder? Ohh nooo, poor babby doesn't have a non-spoiler thread for discussion for a couple of days. :qq:

But seriously, get out. We've seen things, man. Blood and rape and hate and fanfic. We stared into the shitdick, and it stared back.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 31, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maarak posted:

Changing the nature of the wildfire ship also works to the show's benefit, as it's the first widely witnessed example of magic being utilized in warfare in Westeros since the dragons died out. The shadow assassination of Renly was the first, but only a handful of people are aware of what actually transpired. The wildfire bomb going off in the bay was a horrific example of what's possible now that magic has returned to the world. Hundreds of men dead in an instant, and only Tyrion and Sandor seemed to understand the magnitude the event. It acts as a reminder for the viewer that when Dany's dragons come to Westeros[never gonna happen], things will get even worse for everyone involved.
Sandor's reaction seemed less "poo poo, magic is back and can do some serious poo poo in battle" and more "loving fire holy poo poo abusive childhood gently caress you Gregor", but you're definitely right about it being a nice indicator about magic returning with a bang.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maarak posted:

Changing the nature of the wildfire ship also works to the show's benefit, as it's the first widely witnessed example of magic being utilized in warfare in Westeros since the dragons died out. The shadow assassination of Renly was the first, but only a handful of people are aware of what actually transpired. The wildfire bomb going off in the bay was a horrific example of what's possible now that magic has returned to the world. Hundreds of men dead in an instant...

Thousands. :smugdog:

(someone needs to make :smugstag: )

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ambiguatron posted:

What stuns me is that there was at least one person in the non-spoiler thread with knickers in a twist because someone "spoiled" that there was wildfire on the ship. As in, they've never heard of the concept of a fire ship, they forgot there was a major scene about wildfire, they forgot Tyrion's multiple allusions to using wilfire in the battle, they didn't understand the significance of the head pyromancer standing right there waiting for it to explode, didn't grasp that Bronn was planning to light something on fire, and so on. They literally saw nothing but one ship floating towards the others and were annoyed that someone disturbed their deliberate, concentrated refusal to think by tying all of those things together for them in a neat bow five seconds before the show did it anyway.

That was specifically about ruining the the tension and taking them out of the moment, along with making it impossible to hear important dialogue.

ruddiger posted:

Thousands. :smugdog:

(someone needs to make :smugstag: )

Stannis does not do smug. It was "Thousands :geno:"

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The wildfire explosion = magic is returning is a valid reading of the way the series presented the battle. The mushroom cloud imagery is certainly a strong point in that direction.

On the other hand, wildfire was never made out to be magical in the show while it clearly is magical to a degree in the books. Just because something doesn't burn a normal color doesn't make it magic.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Urdnot Fire posted:

Sandor's reaction seemed less "poo poo, magic is back and can do some serious poo poo in battle" and more "loving fire holy poo poo abusive childhood gently caress you Gregor", but you're definitely right about it being a nice indicator about magic returning with a bang.

Sandor has other issues going on for sure, but he's the only other one that realizes instantly just how different this battle is from his lifetime of experience. His personal issues with fire help him understand that it's not just light and heat, but a horrific death for everyone in area.

Ambiguatron posted:

The wildfire explosion = magic is returning is a valid reading of the way the series presented the battle. The mushroom cloud imagery is certainly a strong point in that direction.

On the other hand, wildfire was never made out to be magical in the show while it clearly is magical to a degree in the books. Just because something doesn't burn a normal color doesn't make it magic.

There's enough mystery surrounding it that it reads as if it were magic, even if it's just tweaked greek fire. It's made by nutty old men in the alchemist's guild who call themselves pyromancers, it burns through stone and metal, and Bronn thinks it's snakeoil bullshit.

edit. Speaking of Bronn, where will his sigil come from now?

Maarak fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 31, 2012

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ambiguatron posted:

Knowing the average person's chemistry knowledge peters out rapidly after high school, it's a valid enough way to convey to the cheap seats that "DEM WIZERDS R' BACK."

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I was really impressed by Lancel this ep, he stood up to the queen and even after he got punched in the wound he suited up and led the charge to win the battle. I hope Tywin recognizes what he did, he was a badass.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

I was really impressed by Lancel this ep, he stood up to the queen and even after he got punched in the wound he suited up and led the charge to win the battle. I hope Tywin recognizes what he did, he was a badass.
The only Lannister whose accomplishments Tywin will recognize is Tywin. Not Tyrion, as the S-M-R-T Thread has yet to discover.

That said, Lancel was indeed dashing this episode :allears: The Hound was definitely prepping him as a worthy replacement.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure this got posted, but I saw it was just TOO EXCITED HAD TO PAWST

wildcardsbitches posted:

Melinda is also scripting the Wild Cards movie for SyFy films. And a new Wild Cards comic miniseries is in the works.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Fly Molo posted:

Rarity's been doing a drat good job so far, why steal his thunder? Ohh nooo, poor babby doesn't have a non-spoiler thread for discussion for a couple of days. :qq:

But seriously, get out. We've seen things, man. Blood and rape and hate and fanfic. We stared into the shitdick, and it stared back.

Rarity is a girl and I'm trying to neg her. You ever heard of PUA, chump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

bigmcgaffney posted:

You were also impressed by Osmund Kettleblack and Moon Boy, for all we know.