Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Mr Tastee posted:

My uncle's read the main series, so I wanted to get him something else either written by Martin or related to ASoIaF for Christmas. What's the least garbage option?

The dunk and egg novellas are good. Though I'm not sure how easy the physical books are to find. I have kindle versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mods please change the thread title to "Ich mag mein Cheese-Tacos."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ich bin GRRMliner.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Ich bin GRRMliner.

Gather round while I sing you of GRRMer von Braun
A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience
Call him a fatty, he won't even frown
"Ha, fatty schmatti," says GRRMer von Braun

Don't say that he's hypocritical
Say rather that he's apolitical
"Once the sales are up, who cares where they come down
That's not my department," says GRRMer von Braun

Some have harsh words for this man of renown
But some think our attitude should be one of gratitude
Like the editors and publishers in every old town
Who owe their large wages to GRRMer von Braun

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

computer parts posted:

Gather round while I sing you of GRRMer von Braun
A man whose allegiance is ruled by expedience
Call him a fatty, he won't even frown
"Ha, fatty schmatti," says GRRMer von Braun

Don't say that he's hypocritical
Say rather that he's apolitical
"Once the sales are up, who cares where they come down
That's not my department," says GRRMer von Braun

Some have harsh words for this man of renown
But some think our attitude should be one of gratitude
Like the editors and publishers in every old town
Who owe their large wages to GRRMer von Braun

You too may be a big hero,
Once you've learned to keep releases at zero.
"In German or Italian I know how to chow down,
and I'm learning Chinese," says GRRMer von Braun.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Where are you guys getting kindle versions of the Dunk and Egg stories? I'm not seeing anything official (apart the graphic novels).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Where are you guys getting kindle versions of the Dunk and Egg stories? I'm not seeing anything official (apart the graphic novels).

Look at this scrub trying to give GRRM money.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

There are now kindle versions of the anthologies in which they appeared.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ah right. I might not yet be too far gone to not give GURM any more money, but Terry Goodkind sure as poo poo ain't getting any.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Junkenstein posted:

Ah right. I might not yet be too far gone to not give GURM any more money, but Terry Goodkind sure as poo poo ain't getting any.

One wonders who is worse: an absolute fucker who won't write, or an absolute oval office who won't stop.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The latter. The constant flow of excrement makes me dislike Goodkind's work even more. Although Dany may be loosening her bowels in the Dothraki Sea, GRRM's comparative constipation is a bit of a relief. Yeah, he's written poo poo, but if he stays backed up like this, at least we wont have to deal with much more of his poo poo.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

google. download. save to desktop. print to kinkos online. gib as gift.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

done yet?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

You know, I'm pretty embarrassed, but I actually bought, read (most of), and most damning of all kind of enjoyed the "World of Ice & Fire" book. I'm going to be honest, it really actually was a pretty fun read, if you're a hopeless social leper and unfortunately somewhat addicted to this fictional universe, which is regrettable but true. The fact that's actually engagingly written and fun shows to how little GRRM's involvement was, probably - as I understand it he just provided the concrete background info and the other folks wrote and put together the actual book. In fact, so far as I can tell, it was written by two admins from that big silly asoiaf message board - which is a painfully earnest place, even when compared to my posts.

Probably one of the things that made it most enjoyable was the artwork. I'm probably not alone in this, but I've always sort of felt that the aesthetic of the HBO show was altogether too dark and grimy and grim for my taste, and the Westeros of my brain was quite different. There are a ton of illustrations - on nearly every page, in fact. And some massive full-page illustrations as well that are really very beautiful. And there's a certain amount of fun in seeing detailed illustrations of places like Highgarden, Casterly Rock, Valyria in its prime, etc. You see a lot of places we have seen in the show illustrated in a much more detailed and architecturally interesting way, at any rate, I thought.

It's quite fun that the book itself is actually written as a biased propaganda piece, intended to be given to King Robert initially - in the history of the Targaryen Kings when it gets to Aerys II and Robert's Rebellion it turns into a pure flattery piece about what an amazing and just ruler Robert is, and how horribly wronged he and Tywin were by Aerys. It's actually somewhat amusing when the Maester starts pontificating on certain matters. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they would actually care to read, for instance, a chronicle of each and every king in the Targaryen dynasty - which surprisingly isn't quite so boring as it sounds.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
The illustrations are excellent, except for the Valyria picture with the river of lava. That looked like a Deviant Art piece.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, that piece really is quite silly, isn't it? I quite liked the mazes by Lorath, all Escher-esque and creepy. The one of Dunc all in Kingsguard white facing that badass Baratheon was quite nice, as well as the image of Rhaegar and Robert fighting on the Trident.

I don't know why but I really liked the image of Casterly Rock. I'm not sure if it had ever been described in detail, and I didn't have any strong conception of what it was supposed to look like or even really be - if it was described in detail in the books, I must have missed that part. But reading/seeing that's actually this immense natural rock formation that's three times high than The Wall with a gigantic castle built on top of and carved into the rock is pretty neat, and makes Casterly Rock seem a hell of a lot cooler than it had been before.

And on another note, I'm playing and so far really enjoying the Episode 1 of Telltale's Game of Thrones games. I'm a big fan of adventure games (though not necessarily of everything Telltale does) and I went into playing the game very skeptically, just unsure whether it was a total waste or not. The premise is that you're part of "House Forrester" who are bannermen of House Stark and it's sort of its own story using its own main characters (and borrowing supporting ones we know) so it's set up to sort of run parallel to the main series without really crossing into it. I'll spoil the following, even though it's just what takes place in the first 15 minutes of the game - but it's also what sold me on it, too, so if you have bought the game or actually intend on playing it (and haven't yet) then don't read this:

You start out in this anonymous-looking camp at night. As it turns out, this is the camp of Robb Stark's army, and you're the squire of the noble and just Lord Forrester (an Eddard Stark clone it seems so far in many ways) and everyone is hanging out, bragging about war stories they've gone through thus far and getting fired up for impending battles, giving us a rough sense of when and where you are. Too many characters and too many names are being introduced too quickly (just like the source material!) but it's still pretty fun. Then the camera pans out and it shows where you actually are as strains of 'The Rains of Castamere' begin to play - The Twins, at the 'Outer Party" (where all the less important houses feast and get drunk) for The Red Wedding, with the slaughter about to begin. It's a great early reveal, because it immediately contextualizes everything for the learned fan, and is just an amazing 'hook' into the game, throwing you into action and killing off characters and whatnot with no preamble.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm not quite done with the whole thing, as I only read it about 20 minutes a day. I really liked the battle on the Rhoyne, as well as those other illustrations that had pretty high contrast. Death of Meraxes and Torrhen bending the knee were pretty great too.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

I want to believe this is GRRM teasing an announcement for The Winds of Winter release date.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/542710215842742272

Verified account and all. His 12 days of Christmas ends on the 21st, which just happens to be the first day of Winter.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Brendan GetzELF ‏@brendangetzell 2h2 hours ago

@GRRMspeaking 5 years of waiting, 6, years of waiting, 7 years of waiting, 8 years of waiting, 9 years of waiting, 10 years of waiting, 11 y

lol

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Ape Gone Insane posted:

I want to believe this is GRRM teasing an announcement for The Winds of Winter release date.

Verified account and all. His 12 days of Christmas ends on the 21st, which just happens to be the first day of Winter.

Stop it. Stop making me excited. I can't handle the inevitable disappointment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Maybe it'll be soemthing even better, like a new Dunk and Egg story.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Someone on the ASOIAF subreddit already called it - The Wit and Wisdom of Aeron Damphair

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Don't do this to yourself. Please, you have a family that loves you and they worry.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
He's claiming WoW will be out in 2015 because he was inspired by Star Wars

http://gameofthrones.likeadee.com/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martins-winds-of-winter-will-be-out-in-2015.html

HAHAHAHAHA

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 11, 2014

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Hey guys remember me

Is the book out yet or a release date

Thanks see ya!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Karnegal posted:

http://gameofthrones.likeadee.com/game-of-thrones-george-rr-martins-winds-of-winter-will-be-out-in-2015.html

HAHAHAHAHA

ok, when will he make the first announcement that it won't be out in 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Karnegal posted:

He's actually been working on massive re-edits of the first three books.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Lycus posted:

Not enough neeps, japes, and nuncles

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Lycus posted:

Bran shoves first in the new edition

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Karnegal posted:

HAHAHAHAHA

WoW has actually been out since 2004.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ape Gone Insane posted:

On the twelfth day of Christmas George Martin gave to me...

12 Unsullied Spearmen
11 Petyrs Pillaging
10 Wights Walking
9 Braavos Bankers
8 Arya Murders
7 Kingsguard Protectors
6 Frey Wives
5 Golden Hands
4 Dead Starks
3 Live Dragons
2 Greyjoy Balls
and an Absolute Fucker in a Pear-shaped Man

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So I'm re-reading the series and have a question. Given Varys's stated loyalty to the Targaryens, why did he go ahead with Robert's order to have Dany killed in book 1?

E: also, I'm as excited for WoW as anyone else (been reading the series since 2000) but man, if I were Martin and weren't under any contractual obligation to finish the series, I'd just say "gently caress you" and quit. Dude can't even post a twitter gag without being hounded by people about the next book. loving people need to get a life.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 11, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ape Gone Insane posted:

To be fair he announced the first day with Tullys, and their sigil is a fish. It's almost as obvious a red herring as Aegon.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ape Gone Insane posted:

Things that are more likely to be in that box than a release date:

- New set of figurines
- 2015 Calendar
- New spinoff project
- lovely Anthology with a Stark story it in
- loving Anything

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Unzip and Attack posted:

So I'm re-reading the series and have a question. Given Varys's stated loyalty to the Targaryens, why did he go ahead with Robert's order to have Dany killed in book 1?

He followed the order but the assassination attempt was designed to fail. I'm going to quote Race for the Iron Throne's recap of the scene:

quote:

And now to the main event, the assassination “attempt” by the hapless wineseller. I use scare quotes there, because of how clearly staged this seems in retrospect: Dany is lured to the market where an assassination attempt is about to take place because Jorah informs her of a caravan of 400 horses under the command of a merchant captain from Pentos has arrived bearing letters from Illyrio. The moment Jorah gets his letter from Illyrio in private, he knows what’s going to happen – pegging this one wine merchant out of a huge crowd as the specific threat to Dany. While Jorah says “I did not know..until the man refused to drink, but once I read Magister Illyrio’s letter,” I highly doubt the letter only warned of King Robert’s offer. I think the letter quite explicitly named the assassin so that Jorah would save her, thus ingratiating himself with Daenerys and Drogo as Varys and Illyrio’s controller on the inside of the khalasar. Further evidence of the set-up is seen in the fact that when Merchant Captain Byan Votyris arrives on the scene, “he seemed to know what had happened without a word being spoken.

Another detail that points to the fakery of this attack is how completely incompetent the assassin is – he seems not to recognize Daenerys until she is named right in front of him, he makes a clumsy switch between wine casks, he hesitates and stalls when challenged, he’s a terrible liar with a bad case of the flopsweats, and so on and so forth. It all screams patsy.

And keep in mind, this is an assassination attempt by Varys. As we see from A Dance With Dragons (and as I will argue with regards to Tywin, A Storm of Swords as well), when Varys wants someone dead, he attacks with precision, thoroughness, and utmost stealth. When you see him being this sloppy, you know it’s on purpose. And lo and behold, the outcome of this attack is to accomplish precisely what he wanted back in Arya III – Drogo changes his policy on a dime and will now invade Westeros.

Varys used the botched assassination attempt to accelerate Drogo's plans for invading Westeros. It would have worked perfectly if things hadn't gone wrong thanks to Mirri Maz Durr.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

In It For The Tank posted:

He followed the order but the assassination attempt was designed to fail. I'm going to quote Race for the Iron Throne's recap of the scene:

Varys used the botched assassination attempt to accelerate Drogo's plans for invading Westeros. It would have worked perfectly if things hadn't gone wrong thanks to Mirri Maz Durr.

Man, I don't know if you can read that deep into grrms bullshit.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
maz durr uses her magics to protect dany from the fire and to hatch the dragons as her last act while she's being burned alive

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
I don't think fatman and dickless actually gave a poo poo whether or not Dany died, because she and her brother were just the decoys for Aegon.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Holy poo poo what is wrong with people? This dude writes practically more words in his analysis of the book than the book itself. And also apparently does a shitload of podcasts about the series. drat dude, why not try enjoying something else in life that is not this food-based fantasy series. He's putting 10x more thought into this poo poo than gurm did when writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
All of that is predicated on Varys knowing, for a fact, that Jorah would choose to protect Dany over receiving the pardon and restoration of his noble rights. I just don't buy that. I don't think Jorah himself knew until that instant what he would do, let alone Varys half a world away with no knowledge of the knight's feelings for Dany.