Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Ray_ posted:

1. Jon Connington seems to think so. He specifically thinks "I failed the father (Rhaegar) but I won't fail his son." It's possible that Varys deceived him, of course, but he'd have to find another child extremely close in age and with the Targ coloring. Not only that, but he'd have to have known for certain that the kid would develop the Targ coloring since obviously hair color isn't showing as an infant. Not an easy thing to come by, and that'd an awfully long and dangerous con Varys would be running.

This. It coudl be that Connington was so distraught over losing at Stony Sept that he would will himself to see coloration that wasn't there, but judging by how quickly tyrion picked up on the features, I'd say this is not possible. Unless Varys has some kind of future sight, it's very very likely Aegon is the potential Aegon VI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

regulargonzalez posted:

But in the House of the Undying vision, Rhaegar flat out says that Aegon is the PTWP, so why would he need to make PTWP 2: More Promiseder?

Just a thought: isn't it entirely possible the Undying Prophecy is simply not fated to come to pass? Didn't that happen in spectacular fashion with the Dothraki prophecy? And Mel doesn't seem to have her stuff together either. I'm not sure why Dany's visions would hold sway.

Also, my theory is that Mance wrote the letter to Jon Snow.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Silas the Mariner posted:

For what reason? Also, to us as the readers it oozes with the character of the Bolton Bastard. I doubt Mance would have been around him long enough to pull off such a convincing imitation.

I think it's a tough sell to "capture" Ramsay, as he's basically interacted solely with those he can play torture with, his father, and other scumbags. I think it's tough to get a bead on what his writing style would be when he's trying to draw Snow into the field.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

not joseph stalin posted:

Bael the Bard was a king beyond the wall who went south to steal a Stark daughter. Mance named himself Abel. Bael => Abel. Pretty cool.

that's pretty awesome

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doctor's orders, they had to cut down on their salt intake.

Which also makes me realize that The Others creep me out more now that we know they can zombify animals too. The "dead things in the water" at Hardhome make me think of undead sea lions, seals, and narwals attacking the ships.

Really creepy letter, considering how often poo poo dies in the ocean.

One good thing about this book: we learn the Doom of Valyria was a tsunami.

menino fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 22, 2011

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Roark posted:

Robert (and Stannis and Renly) have a Targ grandmother (great-grandmother?), so they do have a tenuous claim. But more importantly, it's right of conquest. Aerys was deposed and his House was exiled, and House Baratheon became the legal royal house. If anything, Stannis is embracing the legal conception of succession rights - his dynasty is, legally (in his view), the royal house, and since Joffrey and his siblings are not Robert's children, he is the king by being Robert's eldest sibling.

Baratheons are also descended from a bastard brother of the First Aegon, giving them more of a claim than anybody else on the Vale/Riverrun/North faction's side.

Stannis' claim is absolutely in line with the right of succession to Robert's dynasty, as the Targaryens lost and they were not even a Westerosi house to begin with.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Liesmith posted:

Right but honestly who gives a gently caress now? A little taste of it is interesting sure but we aren't reading books about the blackfyre rebellion we are reading about the Prince that was Promised

I would venture it sets up more of the Targaryen intrigue. Judging by the Blackfyre thing, the Ninepenny Kings and Dance of Dragons, it would seem that the Targaryen dynasty was pretty fractured and this could come into play when Aegon VI makes his play

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

lapse posted:

I had forgotten about that, maybe you're right

As for the humility to Tyrion remember:

1. His house killed and raped Aegon's mother and sister

2. He just killed a sitting king (as far as anyone knows)

3. He's a dwarf

4. He killed his own father

Tyrion's a great guy but according to the norms of the day, a quick wit doesn't warrant a "please"

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rhymenoceros posted:

Why didn't he listen to Melisandre? She obviously has some ability predicting the future. "Daggers all around you" NOPE, just gonna wander around, cutting people's heads off, letting the wildlings pass the wall, nobody's gonna get pissed form that.

Because she was wrong at least four or five times about other important events.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Iggles posted:

This just doesn't ring true. Why then kill Kevan who was, by Varys's own admission, going to fix the Seven Kingdoms and ensure Tommen becomes a good king?

This. I don't think that Varys cares for anything beyond whatever his sense of justice for the Targaryens are.

I also don't think he really intended for Viserys to succeed outside of Essos, given the Dothraki fear of water.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

YES bread posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about it why post about it at all then? And it's bad because it's not actually a little detail tucked away like lemoncakes for the winter, it's obvious and a big motivation for the character. How are people having a conversation about the book when basic stuff like that flies over their heads so easily?

Oh come on in no way does knowing this detail require a desire to talk about the book. Connington is loyal to the old dynasty, why would who he wanted or wants to gently caress have anything to do with anything in 300 AL? You're being way too umbraged about this.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

YES bread posted:

FYI I was never accusing people of being homophobic, just bad at reading, so everyone who's upset about the Big Mean Homo Agenda :qq: can crawl down off their crosses now, it's safe!

oh thanks for clearing that up.

there's no agenda? but there is a post where you basically equate not catching JCon being gay (based on one flashback BTW) to being a complete fuckwit who has no business reading the series or discussing it. methink you dost protest too much, or at least focus on one very particular detail, to the exclusion of hundreds of others, to make your argument.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Azure_Horizon posted:

I find it hilarious and amusing that every ASOIAF thread on the Internet has people up in arms about gay characters. Jon Connington is gay, deal with it. And I'd rather read about his gayness than just about every lesbian scene in the series.

I don't think anyone has a problem dealing with that fact.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

YES bread posted:

It's actually based on several things sprinkled throughout both POV chapters but cool thanks for jumping in without actually reading my posts and just getting mad.

Everyone misses tons of stuff when slogging through GURM's terrible writing, who cares. That's not the dumb thing. The dumb thing is reading about a dude pining over an unrequited love and mind-twisting it into "nah he just really really admired the guy. No homo!!"

Go back and read the books then, and then show us every single passage where people talk about Rhaegar. JC's recollections are not demonstrably different, even if gurm has stated that there's a gay POV (really the only evidence for JC and extra textual at that). For you to imply that people reading this are homophobic because they don't immediately come to your conclusion is idiotic.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I'm pretty sure the Targaryens trained their dragons to become gay. Yes, they were trained. You can train dragons to be gay, if you have the right blood.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Hemp Knight posted:

And yet there are no purely lesbian characters so far in the series. We have Renly and Loras, most likely Jon Connington, and theres a few others who are open to speculation, but they're all men. We've only seen Dany and cersei batting for the same team, and then only out of curiosity or because they just wanted some action and daario wasn't around

Pure lesbianism doen't really affect the power structure of the world. it can be safely assumed that a large number of the women in this world don't want to sleep with the men they are married to, yet the norms dictate that they do. given the disparity in power and usually age, a woman who doesn't want to couple with a man usually doesnt' have much of a choice, especially if she is married to that man but especially if she doesn't have a bunch of sworn swords around her, no matter who she is married to. "Boys will be boys" leads to a lot of awful male rapine.

an uninterested man is not quite the same.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

kcroy posted:

I know its done quite often in books , but the whole "oh you just missed eachother!" thing gets on my nerves. I want to be like JUST loving YELL AT HER YOU STUPID gently caress. I'm sure there are reasons he can't or w/e.. I just want to yell at the GRRM I guess.

Can someone summarize who lady lenore / arthur dayne and those fuckers are? I know they are referred to a few times in the books, but I really can't place them in the war.. what they did, why we care, etc.

Lots of strong theories suggest that he is actually a Targaryen...

Those theories are not strong in the least.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Rosscifer posted:

There's an entire paragraph in ADWD about how Aerys was extremely interested in Tyrion's mother. And Aerys was a rapist. I'm undecided, but if Tyrion isn't Aerys's son then GRRM is clearly intentionally misleading the people who have been speculating about the possibility.

Aerys never was indicated as being unfaithful, and the only evidence from aDwD is that he "took liberties" at the wedding while Tywin was taking her up to the bedding. Meaning he groped her.

Not that he raped his Prime Minister's wife repeatedly over the course of many years.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I can't remember where exactly, but I heard the shame walk for Cersei was modeled after a real woman, Margaret of Anjou, consort Queen of the twice deposed Henry VI, so at least there's a precedent for it.

Also, for a good series, Dave Duncan's The King's Blade is pretty good.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Contra Calculus posted:

I was talking about uncle Kev, man. I guess that really wasn't clear though considering the guy I quoted referred to three different characters.

He got shot by an arrow, what did you want him to do after that? pull it out and use his Krav Maga on the kids?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
e: wrong thread

menino fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 8, 2012

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

nuncle jimbo posted:

if you guys haven't gotten hammered with your fellow wild cards and shouted obscene gurmisms at passing innocents on the street then I don't even know what to tell you

God is this a thing? Because it's something I dearly want to do. Maybe I'm just a really lovely nerd but I read the books back in 2004 and tried for years to get ppl to read them, finally convincing some ppl a few years after that. But I was so lonely...

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Gotta love the thousands of years of mounted knight warfare technology that never seems to improve. I can understand the gunpowder thing if it's a question of available chemicals in the Hodoros crust, but why no pike squares?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I recently watched an animation spoofing how confusing the book was in regards to minor characters with similar names dying, but can't remember where. Did anyone else see this? Can't seem to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Anything GURM depicts he regards as morally acceptable. GRRM loves drowning bastard babies and burning people alive for religious sacrifice, for example.