Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Aurain posted:

Just wait till the racist chick from Westeros.org finds out Daario doesn't have blue hair because blue hair is for terrible pro wrestlers.

Why does GRRM associate with such an awful person? There has to be scores ofslightly more tolerable GRRM nerds who know as much about ASOIAF as she does, and some GRRM may even get to creep at his leisure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
I agree he probably hung out with other GRRMY-pervs like himself, but that Jeyne lady is in a totally bat poo poo crazy universe. I don't see the mutual attraction other than being different types of creepy.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
When someone pressed GRRM for more historical details after reading his recent short story, this was his recent response on his blog:

GRRM posted:

Some of these questions will be answered in the forthcoming WORLD OF ICE & FIRE.

Others may need to wait for the eventual GRRMarillion, a large chunk of which will be the full, unabridged 80,000 word history of the Dance of the Dragons. Lots and lots had to be left out in the novella as published in Dangerous Women.

But I am very pleased that you enjoyed my fake history.

Ummmm...yeah.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Now that he has finished this "World of Ice and Fire" (he says written by the maesters of the Citadel), he is also talking about an upcoming book called "Fire and Blood" aka "Grrm-arillion"? I'm still not 100% certain what the difference will be between the two books.

World of Ice and Fire is supposed to be a huge coffee table book. He sure likes writing short story prequels and history books on Westeros rather than finishing the drat story.

Board, video, and roleplaying games; a tv series, tons of merchandise: all for a story with no ending in sight and in danger of never being told. This just boggles the mind.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Shoehead posted:

I don't know why that whole thing bothers me so much, but it just made me think of that one photo of Sophie Turner with GURM lurking behind her and I can totally imagine him going into creepy overdrive. Smacking his giant pork lips like Walder Frey and muttering "yes..shaved..hmm...slimy tongue..hard cock..heh!"

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I'm more upset about giving any royalty money to Linda "the aryan" Antonssen. I know she could be replaced by some other minion who knows everything about ASOIAF, why he never fired that bitch, defended her, or even addressed the loving issue of what a racist psychotic bitch she is. I'll decide within the next hour if I get this drat thing.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

DARPA posted:

Oh, looks like the little feminazi of the many names got her panties in a twist again. -Linda Antonssen.

Its good to see she still uses Rush Limbaugh insults from 1993, and the only woman I've ever heard use feminazi. Not even Anne Coulter is that bold.

I swallowed my pride and anger and bought the drat thing, and it looks beautiful. I'm sure I'll hate myself within an hour. GRRM referred to this book as the GRRMarillion. And like the Silmarillion, it will be the last thing I'll read from the author. At least Tolkien got his primary story done before his son released all that back story.

I'll quit bitching about her, but not before I'd like to take all the "absolute fucker" comments in this thread and throw them at her ten fold. She should create her own loving fantasy world by plagiarizing Hitler's collection of Ostara magazine, offensive drawings and all.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 28, 2014

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I retract my earlier theory that the series is finished and he is milking it for all its worth.

GRRM was told by a wandering gypsy that his life would end as soon as he ended the series.

In the meantime, he can eat whatever he wants, be a Comicon creeper, go on talk shows, watch football, run a movie theater, and masturbate to all of his frustrated fans' constant online bitching.

Its good to be the GRRM.

Its also hilarious that he pronounces GRRM "grim" rather than the more appropriate GURM.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Everyone else has their GRRM = absolute fucker mantra, I have my own: Linda Antonssen is a nazi oval office.

*ahh...feel better now.

I found it interesting to watch those Preston Jacobs videos and how he explains that everyone is wrong about Feast and Dance being useless. he actually went the other way to make us think that one or two toss away house names or micro-minor characters that no one paid attention to are actually the KEY secret conspiracies that are KEY to the entire story. I want to believe...I really do. I'd like to believe that Maester Marwyn is some sort of puppet master controlling everyone behind the scenes, or some of the other theories. If so, great. If not, Jacobs seems to be pointing out serious flaws in the writing.

If that's the case, no wonder GRRM is taking a long time, or simply doesn't care anymore. Two brick sized books of wandering around seems a bit much, so I gave Jacobs the benefit of the doubt that there was something there that none of us took into consideration. But I've talked to fans of Wheel of Time who had to wade thru a lot more before the author's death, so yeah. I just don't have time for that poo poo.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

In It For The Tank posted:

drat, dude. I don't think GRRM's writing is perfect or anything but judging it based on whether Preston Jacob's theories come true is a test doomed to fail.

So it seems that we were just subjected to 2000 or so pages of GRRM's rambling bullshit. There is no hope. :smith:

Everyone here give the impression that Feast and Dance ARE on that level of lovely writing. I'm at least trying to see if the GRRM is at least somewhat misunderstood as far as the books are concerned. Patchface being the Prince That Was Promised would be loving great.

I don't see a problem with tinfoil hat theories in a fantasy world. Its a fantasy world, or just say 'a wizard did it'. It makes some of the inconsistencies and random scenes that seem to have no point make more sense. And Preston is entertaining as gently caress, seems like a nice guy, and loves the stories. I'll take him over Linda Antonssen, a real expert, any loving day. She deserves ten times the hate that GRRM gets, and nowhere near the followers she has on social media.

Without the tinfoil it seems the writing is just as lovely as everyone is saying, and the truth is just too depressing...like conspiracy theories in the real world.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 16, 2015

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
What's wrong with spoilers, says the GRRM:

quote:

"This whole concept of spoilers is one that I've never gotten," he says. "Yes, there's a pleasure when you're reading a book, or watching a television show — What will happen next? Who will win? Who will lose? But that is by no means the only reason to watch a movie or a television show. It's not the only reason to read a book."

"I read a lot of historical fiction, you know? I know who won the Civil War — it's not a spoiler to me. But I can still enjoy Gettysburg, even though I know how the battle came out. I can still enjoy historical fiction about the Wars of the Roses, even though I know who won the Wars of the Roses. And for that matter, I still enjoy watching Citizen Kane every few years even though I know 'Rosebud' is the sled. So there — I just gave a terrible spoiler to all the people who haven't seen Citizen Kane. Rosebud is the sled, but nonetheless, you should still watch Citizen Kane, because it's incredible!" Martin laughed a deep, satisfied laugh, and continued down the black carpet.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/25/8287909/game-of-thrones-season-five-george-r-r-martin-hbo

let the fuckery commence!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
from http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/0...xchange_article

quote:

George R. R. Martin hopes to finish the next "Game of Thrones" book before Season 6 of the HBO series airs next year. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, the author revealed his plans to complete The Winds of Winter, and said he is considering a new twist that will shock readers.

"This is going to drive your readers crazy," he said. "But I love it. I'm still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It's a great twist."

GRRM is also a verb.
Have you ever been GRRMed?
Have you ever GRRMed someone else?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
A GRRMy quote to good not to share, from his April 17th post:

quote:

I find these endlessly fascinating myself. Every year, I find myself poring over the numbers at the Hugo Losers party, when I really should be drinking and flirting. What can I say? I can't help myself.

:a2m:

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

TommyGun85 posted:

can someone explain the difference between low fantasy and high fantasy to me and why asoiaf is referred to as low fantasy.

Best extreme examples of "pre-Dungeons and Dragons role playing era" high and low fantasy:

Low fantasy: Titus Groan/Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake. No magic, no monsters (maybe), strange characters, bleak, dark comedy, gothic, and people die horrible inglorious deaths. King's Landing on peyote.
High fantasy: King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany. Title says it all, human hero has a sword made of lightning bolts picked from a witch's garden. Middle Earth on stronger hash (which Dunsany was familiar with) than Old Toby pipeweed.

Both are amazing, read like they were under the influence of hallucinogens (which made them popular in the late 60s and 70's via Ballentine paperbacks after LOTR), and both had influence on GRRM, especially Peake. Dunsany also had an influence on Lovecraft and Tolkien. They are also in Gary Gygax's list of books that influenced Dungeons and Dragons when it was created.

Someone was right earlier when they said low fantasy magic is unpredictable in other novels, more mysterious and has a price. Robert E. Howard stories are a great example of that.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2016

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Phi230 posted:

The audience is Tyrion in the sky cells and GRRM is Mord

Then we all know what we must do...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Didn't see this posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptCERgbR9nk

Still watching (sad), so hmm some highlights until the 16th minute:
* George is afraid of the internet, thinks people should stop sending him hate mail
* George still goes on about how he doesn't get why people are shipping Sandor with Sansa and says the word SanSan

edit: oh obviously ignore the title cause he didn't say a single word about TWOW so far.

And Linda Antonssen nods in agreement about how horrible the internet is, seeing as how she is partially responsible for it being horrible.

at least she gets to watch clips of Virginia tiki torch marches over and over to cheer her up.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

some guy on the bus posted:

Any more highlights? Did he announce the date for WoW?

"It'll come out when it is finished", so sayeth Elio Garcia in the beginning...and the GRRM nodded in agreement.

Near the end, I thought it was hilarious that GRRM said he had a chance to meet Frank Herbert. Herbert said he wanted to do other things, other stories, other worlds, but his fan base only wanted more Dune novels and that he grew to hate it towards the end. From what I've heard of the last few Dune novels, I believe him.

But at least the first Dune would have been a nice one off with an actual ending. I was told not to go past God Emperor.

But I had no idea that A Game of Thrones was written as a self contained story and that mobs with torches stormed GRRM's house demanding what resulted in A Clash of Kings, et al.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Prequel Pilots? gently caress, The Long Night, but I guess that would take away from season 8. As Old Nan said: 20 year winter, women smothering their babies, Others with "their packs of ice spiders, big as hounds..." How the gently caress did they defeat that poo poo?

And are they all related to GoT/ASoIaF? I remember something GRRM said about a show set in the fifties set around some old fashioned kids sci fi show, not to mention a Wild Cards tv show.

Aeggard: much better name.

kcroy posted:

jealous, wish I had met Frank Herbert. I even have non-dune questions I could ask him. like wtf is going on in the book "Worship". Also gently caress grrm? quit comparing yourself to the greats. I happened to like all of the original 6 books, but understand why people don't. There seem to be a few break points
1) book one, stop here
2) book 4, stop here ( god emperor )
3) book 6, if you read past here you deserve whatever bad things happen to you

Wordup, thanks for confirming this. I'm going to stop at book 4. Some say it sums everything up nicely, its the fav of lots of fans, and its batshit crazy weird as gently caress. I'm going to pretend the Butlerian Jihad is the first Matrix movie or the first two Terminator movies if its man vs machine poo poo.

And GRRM is wrong about people only wanting ASOIAF novels like people only wanted Dune novels from Herbert. Just finish the drat story, then move on to whatever poo poo you want to do. He's the only one pushing for a GRRMarillion (we already have World of Ice and Fire), more Dunk and Egg stories (I just bought the loving Knight of Seven Kingdoms book), more prequel shows, etc.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 28, 2017

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I'm starting to think that he was told by a fortune teller at one of the cons that he would live so long as ASoIaF is never finished by him.

And forget Sanderson finishing it for him. Let Abercrombie do it.

Oh who am I kidding...it'll be Preston Jacobs.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Kylaer posted:

WoT has fans?

There's some guy with a popular Youtube channel that reviews fantasy books and shows that swears it is the greatest fantasy epic ever, and Amazon has a series coming out based on it. Anyone actually read this and can give me an idea how it compares to ASoIaF because the few things I've read about it look pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Thanks, WoT just looked really generic when it came out and I had stopped reading fantasy by then because so many cookie cutter stories had burned me out. And I heard the middle books were like Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons but drawn out for FAR longer. I'm fine with Feast and Dance, but two tomes are enough to slow down an epic.

Preston Jacobs is still making ASoIaF videos. He dropped one yesterday about a Winds of Winter chapter titled "Mercy". Otherwise he talks about the Mandolorian and Watchmen series on a collaborative podcast.

Best Vietnam vet fantasy author I've read Glen Cook's The Black Company series. Big influence on GRRM, not really a kids fantasy series, and based on Cook's platoon in Vietnam. And it was completed.