Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's the story with Jon/Mormont's raven? It's pretty clearly not just a raven, especially with the heavy handed 'Hey it said my first name I don't remember teaching it that' bit. Whose warg is it? Also, which are there more of at this point -- secret Targs or secret wargs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

bengraven posted:

I'm actually suspecting he didn't love Lyanna. I think he was playing the game to try and create the PTWP. He wants to make an uber Targ.

Also I think Aegon being alive is the reason Dany saw that vision. I think that was Rhaegar telling her "don't push him to the side when you come into power in Westeros, you need him".

But in the House of the Undying vision, Rhaegar flat out says that Aegon is the PTWP, so why would he need to make PTWP 2: More Promiseder?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Master Kush posted:

I am confused by Ramsay's letter. How would he know it was Mance?
"Hm, the chicks who came with this singer stole my wife. If only there were a way to get info from the singer and find out what's going on...."

You did read Reek's chapters right? Ramsay doesn't seem like one to shy from a bit of torture.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

If the naked septa is actually Ashara, then I rather like the Brandon Stark date raped her theory and hope it's true. At this point, R+L=J would almost seem too obvious.

Timeline doesn't work, impossible for Jon to be B+A unless he were a couple years older. Harrenhal was something like two years before Robert's Rebellion.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Space Pussy posted:

It's not like he carries around a birth certificate. You could easily pass off a 1 year old as a new born.

You could?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

dumb brunette posted:

Can Margaery still be put to a trial by combat even if it becomes overwhelmingly obvious that Cersei made up all the charges?

The answer is yes so that we get to see a hideously burnt Loras Tyrell defending his sister's honor. Too Martinesque of a scene not to make its way into WoW (and drat is that going to be an annoying acronym).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

True, I can't think of another fantasy writer who can write snappy dialog and has the world-building aspect that Martin does.

Let me introduce you to a Mr. Kevin J. Anderson

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

b0lt posted:

I'd put Steven Erikson on par with GURM on dialog (kruppe rules) and higher with respect to world building. More importantly he actually treats writing as a job and puts books out of the length of DWD every year or so, instead of making readers wait 6 years between books.

I like that one character in Malazan, who is a humongous badass with a gruff, curt demeanor but is actually a decent person. And also that super powerful character who is more powerful than every other super powerful character previously introduced.

Abalieno posted:

You can trust Erikson. Not because the series is done and was done in the promised timeframe, but because it also delivers what it promises and is filled with gifts. There are no fake baits or tricks. Erikson is one of the most honest writers I know (next to David Foster Wallace).

Haha you can't be serious.
"Oh nos, Character X is dead! Erikson have you no mercy??" <Character X resurrected shortly thereafter>. Repeat as necessary.
I mean, GRRM does that too, but imagine a Catelyn / ?Jon? rez a couple times per book, every book. If Erikson wrote asoiaf Ned would have died and been rezzed a couple times by now, becoming more powerful each time so he's roughly at R'hllor strength by now.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 17, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TTBF posted:

To revisit this, I took Jojen's questions as supporting the idea that Ned was the knight. We knew that Ned was small, skilled at arms, upset with the people mocking Reed, and an honorable person. It completely seems like something Ned would do.

Harranhal was 2 years before Robert's Rebellion, which was roughly a year or so before Robb was born, who is 14 at the time of AGOT. That means Ned had to be 18-20ish at *youngest* at the time of the Harranhal tourney -- i.e., fully grown adult. I've never read him being described as small (unless it was by comparison to Gregor or something). How are you figuring him to be small?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Abalieno posted:

I mean "honest" in a different connotation, as with DFW. Intending the writer is putting his own heart into the book and writing as honestly as possible.

Besides, it seems Jon is getting rezzd as well.

My pet theory is that people who like The Wire more than The Shield like asoiaf more than Malazan (and vice versa, and conversely).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Kainser posted:

Maybe Benjen was the knight.

Benjen :allears:

Timeline doesn't work in the other direction then. He'd be like 10. Barristan's own mystery knight story flat out says that a kid can't joust adults. I think it simply has to be Lyanna, nothing else really makes sense. Rhaegar was ordered by Aerys to investigate the mystery knight, he falls in love with her and later annoints her the queen of beauty, they play Come Into My Castle.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 17, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Decius posted:

Jon might have deluded himself into "it's just me", but that doesn't mean the others see it the same way. He is the Lord Commander after all, and even if he alienated a lot of people he also has people who follow him (even if he sent many of them away).

Even if it were "just him", that is still explicitly disallowed. Think back to Maester Aemon's speech to Jon in AGOT, how on three separate occasions he had to forgo coming to the aid of his family because of his vows. Gotta think that holds triply true for the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Jon CAN NOT go on a personal mission.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

withak posted:

No but if you know someone who is involved then it makes it a lot easier to track down the rest of them.

Exactly. After all, since the US realized that bin Laden was the head of Al Qaida (circa 1990) they've been essentially neutralized.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Scoobi posted:

I love all the background. Honestly it makes me want him to continue writing in the world even after the series is done. I'd love more stories set in the past.

Agree with this. I didn't get all the moaning about the rumored possibility of an 8th book. I take just the opposite view: I don't want the series to end and I'll read the gently caress out of every book he writes for it.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Altamir posted:

My guess would be yes. Hodor has the ability to say more than just one word physically, just not mentally.

That would make for an amazing Waiting For Godot-type scene. Now I'm going to be disappointed if Hodor doesn't recite Lucky's monologue.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jewlian posted:

Could you guys please offer me some recommendations? I just finished ADwD then going based on recommendations on this forums I finished Abercrombie's The First Law, Best Served Cold and Heroes. Now I have nothing to read. I'd like something in a low fantasy setting with a good dose of cynicism and wry humor.

Glen Cook - The Black Company (first trilogy is by far the best)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hollis posted:

I am also pretty sure that John is Azor Ahai ; the dragons out of stone can be metaphorical and most certainly is. BTW Dragons out of Stone could refer to Greyscale.

Jon will gently caress Shireen and make baby Targs (dragons) out of stone (Shireen's greyscaled womb)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I will. It is sitting next to the commode, and I suppose I have to read SOMETHING in there.

Out of curiosity, what are some fantasy series' that you do enjoy?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Junkenstein posted:

Is Abercrombie good or not? I want to read another fantasy, but the last non ASoIAF one I read was the first Assasin's Whatever by Robin Hobb, about 6 years ago, due the recommendations here, and it was loving dreadful.

Yeah it's good, has some great, great characters.
If you're looking for a book with hugely complex political machinations and wheels within wheels within wheels, you'll be disappointed. I mean that stuff is there, but not to the degree that it is in ASOIAF. I guess the best parallel would be how ASOIAF would feel if the series focused almost solely on Jaime and Pycelle (a better analogy in some ways would be Sandor and Qyburn but those two aren't important enough to draw a real equivalence) and how they saw the world.

e: In fact, for people who like the political parts of ASOIAF the most, I recommend Shogun to them. Hugely entertaining story that almost feels like a fantasy given how different medieval Japan is to the history of Europe most of us grew up learning about.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 7, 2011

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

On a reread, I came across a sentence that I've wondered about before and thought I'd ask if anyone had any ideas. It's basically said that Rhaegar had no interest in combat / jousting type stuff until he read something in a book that changed his mind. Any ideas what he could have read?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I thought it wasn't revealed who the nudey actress was? Just a "major female character".

Yes this was it, one of the other actresses said that some actress said she wouldn't do nudity anymore but declined to mention a name. Everyone assumed it was Dany but in retrospect it appears it was Ros.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

How come you guys spend so much time talking about a series you despise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Uhhh holy gently caress guys. Anyone check Not a Blog today? WE HAVE A RELEASE DATE