Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Max posted:

I really do wonder how much power his publisher has over him at this point. It was a different situation before the show, obviously, when he was selling waterlogged copies of old books that he still had in his garage online. I wonder if now he just has so much money from so many sources that they're just a blip on his radar and they know it.
Going off of publicly known circumstances I think the timeline goes like this:

1. Books 1-3 drop in quick succession. He had no hype with the first one. Appreciation and critical success really started to swell by Book 3.

2. Having finished the main story he seemed to actually want to tell (Tyrion has Daddy issues), he wanted to reset the board with a time jump....But made the classic blunder every other fantasy author makes and foregoes telling a story in lieu of making everything "make sense."

3. Having become a critical and commercial darling, his publishers made the classic blunder handlers sometimes make and gave GRRM way too long a leash .

They didn't insist on an editor to tell him "We only need two chapters on Brienne. We only need three chapters on Cersei. Why is Bran still so far from his destination? Give me your broad strokes outlines so we can figure out who to focus on and who to scale back."

4. They realized their mistake when the show was due in a few years, Book 5 was four years past its promised date, and by the time the show was set to premiere to massive hype the new book didn't even have a finished ending.

5. The show was a hit, GRRM got an avalanche of cultural blowjobs from the new fandom, and hasn't needed the book money so he has even less incentive to work on them.

6. The world has slowly woken up to the realization that GRRM is a fat, lazy boob, but it's far too late.

7. GRRM runs out of easy money and actually buckles down to finish the books? Haha no. He's gonna go to conventions and eat unhealthy things until he has a heart attack in some Holiday Inn Suite in Washington State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder what the conversation between him and that weenis who wrote "Ready Player One" was like.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sounds like Sorkin's attempt to be clever by punning on Don Quixote, but I have no idea how apt that comparison might be.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Man if we got a page for every new fan suckered into buying a Wild Cards book because "hey I liked Game of Thrones and it's the same author" only to be disappointed as hell... we still wouldn't have the next book because GRRM lost the ability to condense narratives.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Watch as the fat man actually retcons it so that Jon really is Ned's bastard and Tyrion was a secret Targ.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

esperterra posted:

If those ridiculous spoilers end up actually being true I'll take back everything I've said about this terrible show.
Wait, what spoilers? I want to see.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Thanks. Wow it really is like bad fanfiction.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It is lovely to know that after a literal adult lifetime (ASOS publication to now) this immense, complex, ambiguous tapestry of alliances and character wrinkles that GRRM has agonized over is giving way so that the long-lost relative we never knew about until now shows up with a literal magic plot device to wrest control of the narrative to funnel everything towards one human antagonist. Really great stuff here. Breaking that mold. So worth not just doing the loving timeskip George.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Euron and his magic :sax:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was tolerant of Faegon because I knew drat well he was a red herring... But between the Gargoyle boat attack and Jon Connington's "finally we are on the mainland and the *real* work can being" chapter at the end...God gently caress this series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This thread was here first :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really want a Planet of the Apes ending where it turns out it was on prehistoric Earth or some poo poo and the magic is really inside of our imaginations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Solice you looked so young back then.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I remember like a decade ago it was all legally up somewhere, albeit 100% subbed, but yeah a decade ago. The subs kept me from getting into it. I'm old, sue me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In my defense the cast and world was clearly byzantine, and I didn't want to have to pull double-duty paying attention to all the stuff on-screen while forming a map in my head of who/what/where/why/when

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Several government agencies and pure ol' common sense

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The quality of that painting is way better than the concept deserves.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That lady is way too confident about her chances against the giant spider. I mean yeah an M4 is a great equalizer, but at that range? Then again Chompy there is about to chomp off one of his own legs so :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It reminds me of the WildCATS logo, frankly.
Out of all of the initial Image lineup--Youngblood included--WildCATS is the only one where I wonder what they were thinking.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I dunno, when I was 10 they were awesome. Super 90s, absolutely, but here's the facts, they got power to the max. They're tough as nails. When all else fails, call the WildCATS.
This sums it up frighteningly well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What do other authors think of GRRM and his lazy ways? He clawed himself up from irrelevance solely on the merits of his work, then stopped giving writing the instant HBO cashed his first check. That's got to wrinkle some noses right?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GRRM's first law: Why finish what you can abandon?

GRRM's second law: New characters and plotlines > resolution.

GRRM's third law: Dorne will always be disappointing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bring back Oz. I want more weird bookends of a cripple in a spinning cube surrounding all the riots, murder, and assrape I can handle.

This but it's a reality show starring incels

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every few years I check in and every few years it's like seeing an ex. It's like seeing an ex who married rich, got botox a few years too early, and lost all sense of personal style.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everytime I read anything about Bloodraven and that entire plotline it seems like liner notes from '96 that accidentally made its way into the finished product.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I get that's the intention, but when you have the Weirnet in your back pocket it's hard to not go "well yeah the reputation is warranted then." I'm just being a grumpy old gently caress about GRRM's magic additions and whining "high magic or low magic, pick one and stick to it." I can admit that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

lemoncake lemoncake

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the cycle, but the difference is that The Sopranos largely holds up very well all the way through, even if its "topical" episodes and weird focus on Christopher absolutely date it and make some parts a drag.

Game of Thrones the television show absolutely starts to noticeably falter as early as the Second Season and drops off a cliff around the Fourth Season in a wild ride that no one outside of crazy turbonerds looking for snobbery points are going to have the time and patience to endure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Twin Peaks is also clearly an outlier and should not be counted.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The book was also chock-full of humanist "on-the-nose" commentary-- or did you forget Famine's multipage explanation about S.N.A.C.K.S and T.R.E.A.T.S?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Most likely intentionally diverse casting which "calls attention to itself" like a dogwhistle, female voice for God, and other stuff that has always been in Gaiman and Pratchett's wheelhouse but wasn't as prominent in the 90s and 00s when you could mentally cast their novels as you saw fit.

And again the book is a constant stream of preaching about what would constitute the end of the world. Do you really not remember the Horsemen?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Syrio Lives!
I had almost spent a full decade repressing this bullshit. In two words you brought it back. Thanks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

It's weird I just couldn't get into the Sopranos. I tried to watch it long after it was a big deal and I was just like um.. this is just Analyze This but not funny.
I couldn't at the time, but years later I find it a charming time capsule of the early 00s and can definitely relate to that sense of mid-life ennui.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Sopranos was a really good show that clearly didn't endorse its horrible characters, and the only reason to say otherwise is to be a fussy contrarian picking at pieces and ignoring the whole.

Contrast this with Game of Thrones which is a show that only looks good in moments of isolate and as a whole is a big pileup of crap.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

The first like three seasons of Game of Thrones were really good. poo poo, just delivering the wealth of public meltdowns at the red wedding might justify the whole loving mess.
Eh, the first season was ok but honestly I dipped out about midway through the second and confirmed I wanted out by checking in to see the "epic" Blackwater fight. At risk of being too on-the-nose: the telenovela feel with no real sense of scale made everything seem really pretentious in my opinion. Part of what makes the book worth a drat is the constant undercutting of the political melodrama by showing the human cost measured in dozens to hundreds to thousands of lives, often decided by some petty bullshit motivated by emotional misunderstanding.

There was no realistic way to ever get that scale into the show and it's clear the show had the best money, actors, and production design possible so I don't knock it for that, but it's one reason I was never in the "oh the show was so good up to Season 3" camp.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think they mean "why bother killing Joffrey when it seems obvious--especially with hindsight-- that all it'll do is put Cersei even more firmly on the throne?"

Taking Tyrion off the board is the only reason I could think of, but even then no one takes Tyrion all that seriously and Cersei is just Joffrey with a little more patience, so what's the real net gain there?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

So Joffrey wouldn’t rape her granddaughter?

That does make sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The geography of the scene makes it so that a retainer would likely have a hard time getting access to Joffrey's cup before someone else could inspect it, but one of the head nobles would have a much easier time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What year was the American Tolkien article written?
2004-5, right around the time of AFFC, aka "where the books started going bad."

You almost have to feel bad for the fucker that he suddenly went from having a story in his heart, food on the table, and some cult adoration to suddenly being the hot poo poo Fantasy genius shouldered with expectation and pressure... then you remember the rest of it and go "lol no gently caress that guy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And his middle-earth background is sketchy enough that when people do youtube videos about the mythology, there's a lot of "presumably" and "sometime around here" because the Silmarillion sometimes just says "this happened after X but before Y" with X and Y a century or three apart.
Tolkien also had a much better handle on was/wasn't relevant to his narrative, and that includes weird elbows like Bombadil and the appendices.

GRRM peppers ASoIaF with lures for the Green Children, the Night King, the Summer Islands, Asshai, Old Valyria, The Iron Bank, the Red God, the Three-Eyed Crow, Dorne, the Maesters, and so many other little threads that poo poo like "Varys is a mermaid" ends up seeming weirdly plausible and possibly central to the overarching story because all of his worldbuilding is given equal weight and import because Mr. "I've only written seven words in High Valyrian" has only sketched out his world as far as the words he's written. It's to the point that when he introduces the Stoneskin plague and Fakegon/Connington as major plot points in ADWD you're more conditioned to roll your eyes and go "gently caress me more?" instead of thinking "oh cool a new plotline to add depth and texture to the world."

With hindsight, GRRM's overambition really sticks out in a narrative that was already severely overcomplicated halfway through book two.