Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Red Wedding is gonna own. I can't wait to see the audience throw a poo poo fit over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's amazing how closely GRMM's actual appearance aligns with what I expected he'd look like before I'd ever seen him.

Not that he's the only author like that. See also: Goodkind, Terry.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thulsa Doom posted:

I expect Terry Goodkind to wear a lot of studded leather and often walk into a McDonalds wearing a strapon without realizing it.

Yeah I could see that. He'd never order the chicken though, because it might be possessed.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 25, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

If I wasn't bound to this toxx avatar for a while yet I'd be half tempted to make an avatar of that.

run DNC posted:

It roughs her up some and then her boyfriend scares it off if I remember correctly. It turns out to actually be a manifestation of a centuries old spell to remove all magic from existence or some poo poo.

I think that's how it goes. I'm ashamed to admit I've read almost that whole series, though years ago :negative:. The first book actually isn't that terrible but it just gets steadily more insane after that. It literally becomes a series about an objectivist hero who battles communism.

And he puts GRMM's dark predilections to shame because there's a rape or attempted rape every other page. He's not quite as ridiculous with the food, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thulsa Doom posted:

I actually irrationally hate her, so I find this news rather pleasant. On a scale of pleasantude, I rate it between "the cashier at the Burger King gave me an extra quarter in change for my Quad Stacker" and "a beautiful bird song".

I don't hate her but she creeps me out a little. Whenever I've seen interviews with her about the show she just looks absurdly into it. Like she's waited all her life to be famous and do interviews about her acting and she just can't contain herself.

I'm probably being irrational too though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Thulsa Doom posted:

Usually when I deign to watch television I... watch television, without feeling the need to type out my thoughts. I am going to watch the thread live for that episode, however. I want to watch as their shock turns into dull uncomprehension and from there crystallizes into the realization that their pretty pretty hero boy is dead because of his true love and the good guys are all going to die and lose and the people who are mean are the ones who win. It will remind me of when I thought these books were good and my sadness will flavor their sorrow, like a grape floating in a glass of vodka.

Also if they don't take advantage of the established climax episode followed by denouement episode, they're idiots.

I hadn't read any of the books until about a month ago and then I plowed through all of them. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed I'm not going to be one of those people experiencing the show-based shock and rage from the Red Wedding.

I think it's going to hit show watchers a lot harder than it hits people who read the books because Robb isn't a POV character in the books and also the books foreshadow his demise lot more than I expect the show to. The show already cut Dany's HOTU visions, for instance, and in the book they go on about Robb's need for an heir and you kinda start to get this feeling of dread.

Plus Richard Madden's Robb is really likable. It's gonna be devastating to people and I can't wait. I hope the show continues to avoid foreshadowing that as much as they can. Make it as much a devastating surprise as possible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
How can anyone dislike the Greyjoy version of Stannis? Victarion owns.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whoflungpoop posted:

I liked show Stannis too. I'm sure show Victarion will be more likeable as well for the same reason, that the format spares the audience chapters worth of all their embittered :jerkbag: over their brothers.

Obsessive, internalized, ballhair-burning jealousy of siblings is up there with food, rape-bastards, and pretty girls making GBS threads as topics requiring special GRRM attention.

Stephane Dillane fuckin' owns too. If they can find someone half as good for Victarion that will do a lot for the character just like Dillane did for Stannis.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

For the people who like show Stannis: was it the assault on King's Landing that did it for you, or did you like his portrayal the whole season?

That certainly didn't hurt, but I agree with Lolitas Alright. Dillane just makes him more sympathetic with his acting.

I like both book and show Stannis though. What I like about Stannis is he is the most forward thinking honorable character in the series. Yes he plays by the rules as much as he can but he also is willing to elevate people based on merit rather than bloodlines. He elevates Davos because Davos gets poo poo done. He converts to Melisandre's religion and makes use of her because she gets poo poo done.

And he'd be the best king for the realm because he's just about completely incorruptible. You can't lure him in with sex. You can't bribe him. He doesn't play favorites. He's not cruel. He's strict as gently caress but he'd look out for people.

And so far in the books he's the only king who put the realm ahead of personal desires because if not for him the wall would have fallen.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This thread frightens me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
e: wrong thread

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 29, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

Is this thread really the wrong place for anything?

It was a baseball GDT post :v:. But I suppose you're right. Just about anything goes here.

Except book talk, because GURM will never finish the next book let alone the next two.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Contra Calculus posted:

Would Hodor post in FYAD all the time or PHIZ all the time? That's the real question.

Fyad all the way.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The prequels are infinitely worse than ADWD. Although is Star Wars really that different from GRRM writing? Anakin is basically a force queef golem. Luke and Leia want to bang so they are already halfway to being Jamie and Cersei. There's a midget who is the wisest and most intelligent character in the series. I'm sure there's more connections to be made.

They should have let GRMM write the prequels the story already has got all the needed core elements to do his style. Although I guess it would be hard to get an actress willing to poo poo on screen. Padme might have to be re-cast.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 29, 2012

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
All this talk of the Hobbit makes me wonder what Tolkien would think of GRMM's books had he lived long enough to read them. It's probably for the best that we'll never know.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My first exposure to the series was the show and I didn't start reading the books until after season two. I felt like such an idiot after being done because I remembered what a big deal they make about the Benjen thing in the show and I was like this is gonna pay off at some point but it never did. I did get Dany making GBS threads though. That was unexpected, I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can understand being annoyed with GRMM for not writing since we're all invested in the series but at the same time he doesn't owe us a goddamn thing. It's not like he has some obligation to entertain us.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mythicknight posted:

At least the future Bran/Meera love scenes won't seen so creepy.

All I hear is Karl Pilkington asking why would anybody want to do that?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Some dude in the TV non spoiler thread is upset A Glistening Hodor posted about Sansa's love of lemon cakes :psyduck:. It boggles my mind that people who are that anal about spoilers even bother going onto the internet to talk about the show.

e: And it's not even like that's a spoiler or has anything to do with anything but making fun of GRMM's fat rear end

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

nuncle jimbo posted:

whats fat and covered with varicose veins

A fat pink mast?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

run DNC posted:

The greatest known swordsman in Westeros is Wyman Manderly because hes fat as gently caress.

I like how him being morbidly obese saves him from otherwise being lethally stabbed. It's Gurm being unapologetic to the reader for being fat because his lard protects him from danger.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GRRM posted:

Before that, however, it was one of the city's nicest film venues. It offered coffee and pastries, and had the best popcorn in town, fresh-popped with real butter and parmesan cheese.

Give back to the community my rear end, you bought it so they'd keep making you popcorn and pastries you slovenly bastard.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

To cut out Horror and Slobber and all the Tyrell crew, the Tyrell's are gonna get her hopes up with marrying Loras, then Tywin will crush her with marrying Tyrion.

Then, the "jilted" Loras can demand a Kingsguard position.

Which is much more dramatic and to the point, and works perfectly fine, as well as shows how much fat can be trimmed from the books without much loss.

You can trim the fat but you can't trim the Gurm.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Amusingly enough the spoiler thread isn't even the worst GOT one in TV/IV, that honor belongs to the babby thread where some of them defended the night's watch mutiny and where they got really mad at A Glistening Hodor for posting about lemon cakes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sophia posted:

"GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series has dialogue that is miles beyond any other fictional work," says person who has never read a another book in their lifetime. "Deep characterization! Realistic tension! More descriptions of food than the entirety of Better Baking's back catalog!" raved the completely blown-away man after finally reading his first literary work without any accompanying pictures. "Two thumbs and my penis way way up!"

But in all seriousness anyone who says that freaking George RR Martin has written dialogue in the upper echelons of all fiction ever produced has to be either incredibly poorly read or high. I liked the first book quite a lot but let us be real.

I can buy his comment if he meant to use the word "fantasy" rather than "fiction". Because ASOIF is miles ahead of most other books in its genre in terms of its prose and well everything.

e: wait not everything. is still creepier with his fixation on rape and objectivism.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 27, 2013

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

I don't even know how they are going to make two seasons from ADWD+AFFC without making the show incredibly boring and losing half their viewership because it doesn't go anywhere.

WARNING: Nudity

*fade in on Emilia Clarke undressing and unleashing a torrent of poo poo water from her anus*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I wonder how Ned even found the tower of joy. It's supposed to be out in bum gently caress nowhere and I doubt Rhaegar told more than his Kingsguard about it. The only thing I can think of is Howland Reed or someone knowing because :magic: or Barristan Selmy ratting out its location after the war was all but over. That would seem out of character for him being an honorable dude, though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

For some reason they decided that Vargo Hoat was not a memorable character or name, so they changed him into a dude named Locke who dresses just like every other Northman. Great actor, though. And the Jaime/Brienne scenes have otherwise been almost entirely preserved.

The non-book readers I know didn't understand the abandonment of Harrenhall at all. Instead of showing Arya develop into an apprentice killing machine, they have Mel tell her directly that she's gonna kill people someday.

They were actually going to keep the name of Vargo Hoat for the character of Locke but GURM asked them to change the name since they'd cut the bloody mummers and that sub plot a bit.

I wonder if GURM regrets allowing HBO to film these books now that they've been changing poo poo around and now that his fat self has to actually start writing since the show is gonna catch him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

"Hey look what we forgot to include earlier"

I liked this scene ok. its interesting to highlight their differences, especially in light of the book where ..uh..Valarian ( whatever the sailor's name is ) has his own Fire priest, who seems to be working in a very different manner than the other two. I wonder if there is a larger arc, where there is all this new magic in world, and even though its being attributed to the "one true god", like the magic before it, its how you use it that makes it good or evil.

Assuming there is some larger theory about the magic, and not just grrm writing poo poo that isn't internally consistent.

I do like the theon scenes. And Tyrion is sort of interesting still. I'm surprised about Gendry - I always thought he would play a much larger role in the books ( secret Baratheon! ), but if they are gonna throw him to rot in some dungeon while Melissandre's vag drains him of his power - who knows.

That reminds me. There are only 2 books left to write, yeah? That is so cool the series is almost done!

It seems to me that Gendry is replacing Edric Storm so he's just gonna get brought to Storm's End and eventually rescued by Davos when it looks like Mel plans to kill him to wake the stone dragons or whatever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

If you've remained spoiler free due to inability to read books by the 5th season, you deserve to have your show turn into an actionless slog through secondary characters' bowel movements.

I read them all after season 2 because I was like hey this here tv series is pretty good. And the books are even better it turns out! What a novel concept, reading about things I like.

I hope HBO breaks the on screen defecation barrier with Dany in season 5. If they're really smart they'll give Gurm the final episode to write so he can do a complex scene involving Dany and fecal matter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I am very excited for my one time a year to enjoy GRRM writing this week with his GOT episode. I hope he has more lines like "a bit of a rape" and "a slice of cake".

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Personally I hope the show ends with ADWD. The last scene will be Emilia Clarke making GBS threads brown water furiously. Then HBO will cancel it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Titties and butts and lamprey pies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Also the thread of geniuses is figuring out Bolton's about to betray Robb in a lethal fashion. I guess I'll have to turn to tumblr or youtube reactions to get my tears :smith:

I haven't seen any such indications. Some think Roose is up to something but I don't think any of them specifically expect the RW yet.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

The thing I like most about *~*Daario*~* is:

I wish they put Strong Belwas in the show.
I don't think D+D are the fans of the show they claim to be at all. :colbert:

They might just introduce him later.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love how successful the fatties are in the books. Gurm takes good care of Doran, Manderly, and Varys.

Probably because they are self inserts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Nicolas Cage as Oberyn. Robert Deniro as Doran. Al Pacino as Victarion.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Where the gently caress is rarity?

We need to hammer out the details of me doing episode 3-10's thread.

At the very least the bad thread should be able to do the op for the GURM written episodes. It is known.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I read the books after season 2 ended and I can confirm it did not negatively affect my enjoyment of season 3. I in fact now eagerly look forward to the final scene of season 6, Dany making GBS threads brown water. That will be an HBO classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pfft, haven't you heard that reading the books would spoil the show? Why would you do that to yourself?

Arghhh I'm so mad I have to wait nine months to find out what happens in this story that has already been written