Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Unless you count Dany's entire story as part of the fantasy parts, I think you'll find no one agrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Well, I mean, if the show goes ahead and confirms it this season, which I believe they intend to, then it's entirely possible that GRRM may do something like that in the books to spite them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I'm pretty sure the show can't jump the shark because it's already jumped it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Golem myths in Jewish folklore are also explicitly about creations turning on their creators or otherwise going wild. Perhaps a better fit since, like Frankenstein, they are explicitly artificial. While the Greek stuff and whatnot is more generational conflicts between parent and child.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
My arm is numb.
My arm is numb!
Numb arm!
Numb arm!
Narm!
Narm!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget the thousand ships that the Ironborn are going to build and sail to Mereen by the end of the episode.

I fixed your typo for you.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The fact they haven't shown us a scarred zombie-Mountain face - particularly given how unsutble the show is and how they haven't tried to hide who Ser Strong is - suggests to me they have some kind of reveal planned for the face. Like maybe it's Ned's or Robert's or something ~shocking~ like that under there. In the books, yeah, seems to me that Ser Strong is likely literally headless, but show-Strong explicitly has a head, and implicitly has the head of someone important or shocking given the above.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I miss LucidTV.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Man, I love me some God Emperor of Dune. It's a shame we'll never see where the series was actually heading.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Arcsquad12 posted:

It actually has more to do with the fight choreography in Game of Thrones being utter dogshit. The only good fight in the show was the Hound versus Brienne, and that was instead ruined by horrible editing.

It's been ages, but I seem to recall Tyrion's trial by combat at the Eyrie being a good fight.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blind Sally posted:

karl drago's fight where he tore out that dudes tongue afterwards was p good too

In general the first two seasons were, with some missteps and mistakes that generally fall in the realm of acceptable, excellent TV and about as good an adaptation as you could reasonably hope for given the material.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Travel time, and to an extent the passage of time in general, is one of the examples where it is okay to tell and not show. But you still need to do one of the two; you still need to somehow convey to the audience that not only has time passed, but also give them a sense of how much.

As is, sadly, par for the course with this show over the last few seasons, the issue isn't that they didn't get things perfect or go down into minute detail, it's that they didn't even make a token effort. The last few seasons are just, increasingly, D&D going down a checklist of plot beats.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TOOT BOOT posted:

Book Euron is arguably on the same level as Ramsey if you take The Forsaken into account but the worst thing he's done on the show is chew the scenery.

Book Euron is a weird, crazy, mystical pirate badass.
Show Euron is a kinda shlubby Goonish looking guy who's basically done nothing exceptionally villainous for the show or setting, and in fact has only killed thus far the worst characters.

It's one of the biggest examples of how bad the show is. Book Euron is this weird and larger-than-life character who's full of flash and honestly would make awesome television. Mothefucker has an eyepatch! Instead the show has bafflingly, for once, gone subdued and cuts out everything and anything that makes Euron anything more than Generic Ironborn #2818

EDIT: Like, seriously, Book Euron is the sort of character D&D desperately and hamhandedly tried to make Ramsay into. He's the one thing they should have been able to handle perfectly, and they hosed it up completely.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

kcroy posted:

>implying I don't have 2 copies on my bookshelf :smug:

But you know, that ain't a bad idea to send her one.

Or the 3rd edition Draconomicon.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

scary ghost dog posted:

preston jacobs owns

Does anyone have a list of all his theories/delusions? I don't want to watch all his poo poo.

I mean, the books are never coming out and his views are so strange and divergent often that at this point I feel like he could just do some minor tweaks and change all the names to avoid copyrights, and release his own book series based on his fever dream interpretations of GOT.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Can someone provide a link or just a post with the season 8 spoilers? I must have missed the link and these threads move fast.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Karpaw posted:

I can't wait for the reaction to the show's feminist icon dying to birth a child.

I will never stop being confused and angry that Dany became a feminist icon. She's a horrible, horrible, horrible person and character. Like I've always interpreted her and Jon as deliberate antitheses of one another; they are both Targ heirs, but one is constantly handed every advantage and thing they could need but, due to their own massive ineptitude, manages to gently caress it up and piss it all away, constantly somehow failing upwards into bigger and better disasters. While Jon, in contrast, has to struggle and fight and claw his way to success, constantly, and every time he wins gets the rug pulled out from under him. She loses every battle by her own fault but wins the war through luck/plot, while Jon wins every battle by his own skill but loses the war through luck/plot. Plus it makes her a sort of subversion of the chosen one/magic princess archetype to have her be this insane gently caress-up.

I mean, her entire character arc and plot is literally that she is going to bring an army of rapists and slavers with her to conquer a continent that at best doesn't know who she is and at worst actively hates her. And that's not even mentioning all the hints and signs that she is every bit her father's daughter.

Like I know there are lots of people, men and women alike, who look at Dany and somehow see an empowered heroine, I've had the displeasure of meeting some, but I don't loving get how anyone can be so stupid. She's a monstrous person and even if you think she means well (which involves directly ignoring her stated motivations) then the fact still remains that her entire legacy is literally death and ruin. Every single place she visited in Essos she left a smoking ruin, literally or metaphorically. Everywhere she goes she has literally left naught but death and ruin in her wake.

EDIT: And that's not even bringing up the Iraq Wars metaphors or the fact she's practically White Privilege: the character.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gimmedaroot posted:

And Linda Antonssen nods in agreement about how horrible the internet is, seeing as how she is partially responsible for it being horrible.

at least she gets to watch clips of Virginia tiki torch marches over and over to cheer her up.

I don't know much about Linda and whatnot; what's this about her being a Nazi? I've heard jokes here - and elsewhere - that extent before, but never saw the justification for it. Not defending her, just curious.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Evil Fluffy posted:

People who think slavery isn't sustainable probably don't realize it still exists in various parts of the world even if you exclude the countries that 'pay' people pennies per day so they can barely survive in inescapable poverty.

Slavery is sustainable. Chattel slavery and the sort of neo-feudal manorial system the South had was not. Conservatism has sometimes been described as someone standing besides the march of history and progress shouting "stop" and, well, the Slaveholder's Rebellion was basically that only instead of just shouting "stop" they also used guns. The war was absolutely about slavery, but wasn't entirely about the South defending slavery from the North; it was also defending slavery from the march of industrialization and capitalism.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Boltons are people who have a flayed human being as their sigil, have a known psychopath for their heir, and live in a place called the Dreadfort.

Seem like a trustworthy lot to me!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Sephyr posted:

And a grotesque army of evil, bizarre slavers so comically over the top that Metal Gear bosses called and told them to tone it down a bit.
Which one is that?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

TommyGun85 posted:

The funny thing is that GRRM derailed his entire series in order to detail Dany 'learning to rule' in Mereen, only to eventually have her abandon Mereen, invade Westeros and die in childbirth without ever ruling or accomplishing anything.

She accomplished plenty! She left much of Essos smoking ruins, leaving shitfucked hellholes so hosed that former slaves long for the days when they were slaves simply because the status quo then was preferable to the utter anarchy Dany left behind her.

EDIT: She also brought Dothraki to Westeros. I am sure that the Dothraki shall remain loyal to her successor and will in no way cause massive turmoil and chaos in Westeros the moment Dany dies. I mean, it's not like they only owe their 'loyalty' to her as a charismatic leader who slew their prior leaders, and that the moment she dies any and all bonds of loyalty to the crown of Westeros they have are dissolved, leaving them free to plunder, pillage, and rape as they have for centuries.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Elman posted:

The real question is, will D&D ever work again after season 8 and their confederate show?

Someone has to adapt Wild Cards.

Realtalk, though, I don't know. I mean the writing is godawful, of course, but the show is wildly successful. And I'm not a braindead hollywood exec, and yet even I struggle to pinpoint exactly why Game of Thrones is the runaway success it is, despite the drop in quality. It's obviously not the writing, and as the last few posts have observed, it ain't the acting either since with all the deaths the remaining cast are by and large at best simply 'meh' and at worst are people who really shouldn't be acting. And the CGI quality fluctuates wildly, too.

They're going to want to reproduce the success of GOT, but who knows if that means keeping D&D around.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

lol people are so loving bitter. like anything GRRM would have produced would have been better.

Yes, yes it would. I mean, we know for a fact that GRRM's writing involved consequences for violating the most basic and fundamental rules of the feudal system, while kinslaying has become the normal means of ascension in the show-verse. For gently caress's sake, Ellaria became queen of Dorne by virtue of murdering the entire royal family despite just being the mistress of one of its former leaders. The sand sneks had more of a loving claim to it than her.

You can argue day and night about how good or bad GRRM's writing and storytelling is, but I do not believe you can in good faith argue that it is not better and more well thought-out than the dreck D&D have made. Granted, that is a very, very, very low bar to pass, but it is still one he passes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Dickon Manwoody

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
With all the preview chapters and poo poo he's released online and at cons and stuff, how many pages of a hypothetical book (that will almost certainly never actually be finished) has he written?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, but Euron becoming the Big Bad of the show out of nowhere and hanging Dany's desecrated corpse from a pole like a flag after the Night King dies off screen in the previous episode would be absolutely AMAZING to see the public and critical reaction to...

Considering that the books, unlike the showrunners and especially the show audience, generally seem to recognize Dany is kind of awful, or at the very least not a hero, and that her trajectory is kind of an inverse mirror of Jon - he constantly wins battles and does well for himself but somehow loses, while she fucks up and pisses away every advantage but is always failing upwards - I can see that ending being what happens in teh books. And the books have also been pretty much establishing Euron as the Big Bad, what with the preview chapters and all.

Like what makes those spoilers most plausible to me, besides the dumbness, is that yeah, it does seem like the broad strokes of where the books were going (but will obviously never get to).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Solice Kirsk posted:

Rome, but with dragons. I'd watch that.

Oh! Or Rome, but with dragons, and robots! Someone get a hold of that one goon with Rome robot red text and let him know we've found a place for him!

Ever since I first became a goon I've always wondered: what the gently caress was the context/story behind that redtext?
I mean, okay, I know Rome did not have robots (fuckwit) but why was this necessary to point out and why was it necessary for someone to get a redtext over it?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
VALYRIA DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I seriously doubt Tolkien would have said the Silmarillion was his life's work. It was background notes to give LotR a coherent backstory. That is, in fact, blantantly what it is.

It's debatable whether or not Tolkien himself would have called it that, but considering that it is literally the work he spent more or less the whole of his life writing and re-writing and which provides the underpinning for everything else that he ever wrote, I think it's entirely fair and reasonable to say that Silmarillion represents his life's work and its culmination.

I mean, Christopher Tolkien has made an entire lifelong career out of publishing fragments, re-writes, and expansions of the Silmarillion.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Asimov and Frank Herbert also (in)famously died with their life's works unfinished. It is, honestly, a sadly common thing for sci-fi/fantasy writers to bite it before they are able to finish their tales.
That said, I can't think of any of these writers who had the work ethic of GRRM. And, as has been pointed out, a lot of these writers, unlike GRRM, were busy fighting illness, raising families, fighting in wars, or otherwise doing lots of other things besides getting fat(ter) and blogging about football.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

whowhatwhere posted:

To be fair you didn't really want to read Heretics or Chapterhouse, either.

Well, also in fairness, I think a big part of the problem with those two is that there is no final book. In my opinion, the Dune books sort of follow a rhythm; 1:2:1:2:1, with that last one never coming.
What I mean is, Dune is largely self-contained and can stand alone. Messiah and Children can't, and are basically both follow-ups and elaborations upon the themes and issues of Dune, and serve to set the stage for God-Emperor. God-Emperor, like Dune, can in some ways stand alone, certainly when compared to the books before and after it.
Heretics and Chapterhouse, like Messiah and Children, are basically stage dressing. They clear the stage of the old by elaborating and building upon the themes of what came before, in this case God-Emperor, while setting the stage for some new book....
That never happens, because Frank Herbert died.

So basically the issue is they're the first and second acts of a three act play, in which the third act was never, and will never be, produced. They're set-up without payoff.

I mean, also in fairness, don't get me wrong. They're definitely, even on their own merits, weaker than all the Dune books preceding them. I just think that their biggest flaw is that. They're incomplete.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Hasselblad posted:

I just had a dream that I took ASOIaF back in time and Monty Python did their interpretation of it.

Was a glorious dream.

I do not believe deliberate farce could outdo the more recent seasons of Game of Thrones.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Single and LOVING IT posted:

Has something like this happened before? Where a single author needs to react to an adaptation of their own work?

I know there's plenty of shared setting situations where an original creator of a character or world has to share, but this seems different.

Happens a lot in anime. Fullmetal Alchemist, the original anime, went in a complete different direction from the original manga. And I'm sure there are other anime that have similarly outpaced and then deviated wildly from their source material.

Similarly, depending what you define as 'single author' there's always tv and film adaptations of comic books. Not so much generalized concepts like most superhero flicks, but more like when a movie or show tries to adapt a particular storyline. Like what Infinity War is ostensibly doing for Infinity Gauntlet, and so on.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

jit bull transpile posted:

Trigun is the best example where I've actually watched/read the whole thing since it came out when I was 11.

Surprised I didn't remember that one.

Also, as a bit of an inversion of the GRRM situation, there's also arguably the whole situation with Splinter of the Mind's Eye and Star Wars.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To be honest, he does kind of owe fans something, if you ask me. He started telling a story, and didn't complete it. And he didn't complete it because of sheer laziness, not out of some pressing concern like health, family, or whatever.

Like it's one thing if an author hasn't done any new stories and fans are getting uppity about it. You don't 'owe' anyone new stories. But if you start telling one, there is the implicit understanding between the author and the audience that the story will be completed.

It's the same reason why you normally don't publish an unfinished book. Something GRRM has also done.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

PupsOfWar posted:

tbf anyone who hosed with MZB deserves a 21-gun salute

Why?
I'm not being facetious/sarcastic. I'm unfamiliar with Bradley and legitimately don't know what the story is here.
EDIT: Just did a google. Jesus this world sucks.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 26, 2018

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

nine-gear crow posted:

Remember when those two dudes did a read-along with the books and posted a chapter a week or so just brutalizing how loving dumb and bad these books were thinking that GRRM would at least be done A Dance With Dragons before they finished the whole series up to that point?
No, but this sounds magical. Got a link?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Marijuana posted:

isn't is being written by the racist dorks from westeros.org who wrote the world book?

I know little to nothing about them. Why are they racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Plus Hollywood looooooooves stunt-casting GOT people, it's been like the staple of the movie industry for the past like 5 years now. He absolutely could have been in on that if he wanted.

To be fair, other than Dinklage it has been mostly the ones that can’t actually act - Clarke most egregiously - who have become Hollywood darlings. So he may not have been so fortunate.