Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So, here's my theory: HBO doesn't believe that GURM is capable of finishing a treatment for another show or whatever it is they've saddled him with. The only reason they offered him more work is to interfere with his already non-existent writing. Because they want to finish the show before the books are even remotely done and keep creative control over everything, instead of bowing to his, increasingly more complex and meaningless, canon.

And another thing: it's good they're trimming characters, merging plots and so on. The Fucker should've drawn the line at Jon, Kelly C, max 2 of the Stark children and the three Lannister siblings. And that's it. Everything else is superfluous, if you want to finish the series in 6-7 books tops, or even at all. Stannis, Sam's adventures in Oldtown, Aegon, Dorne, are all completely unnecessary crap weighing down the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

what new work did they offer him?

From 2015:

time magazine posted:

The Game of Thrones writer has new projects in the works at HBO and Cinemax

Good news for Game of Thrones fans: author George R.R. Martin, on whose books the series is based, is working to develop three new TV shows for HBO and Cinemax.

The Song of Ice and Fire author confirmed these new projects in a blog post detailing how busy he is (and how little time he has for fan complaints about the show). It had previously been reported that he is working to produce an HBO series called Captain Cosmos, about a TV sci-fi writer set in 1949, with a pilot written by Michael Cassutt. While Martin did not comment on details about Captain Cosmos or the other two shows, he did say he is hard at work writing the sixth novel in the Song of Ice and Fire series, The Winds of Winter, which fans are very eager for him to finish.

The Game of Thrones season five finale airs Sunday on HBO.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MrSlam posted:

I like Tyrion and want to see him rule a city again and everything, but putting him in charge of Mereen is dumb. No one in Essos can vouch for this tiny drunk guy except for Illyrio who has nothing to do with anything at this point. Nobody in her entourage even cares if she makes it to Westeros but Jorah and he's banished, so why on earth would anyone care what the new guy has to say? Especially when he's apparently the son of the guy that betrayed her father.

And who the hell wants to rule Mereen anyway? It's in open revolt, under seige, and suffering from Daenarys-squatting-in-the grass disease. Just take the slaves with you and have them die along the way. Get the hell out of Mereen! I don't even care if she makes it to Westeros as long as we never have to spend another 900 pages dicking around in crazy backwards pyramid land!

I hope the show givest Tyrion the Quentin treatment and burns him to cinder. At least the new trailer hints at that. (There will be no more books)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MrSlam posted:

Westeros Girlz!

All the characters from the series but now as teenagers in high school and all their japes and goofabouts. Coincidentally comes with a toyline featuring all the female characters with Bratz-esque features and outfits. Gets a little confusing because of things like Catelyn and Sansa being two grades apart yet somehow still mother and daughter.

The only confusing thing would be the feeling in GURM's pants.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

ok I see it now thx. I think that poster is dumb.

every poster posting in this thread is dumb, so...

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

geeves posted:

Dead Freys. Brienne, Pod, Jaime and Thorys all in the Riverlands.

:yawn:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I laughed: http://www.clickhole.com/article/top-12-game-thrones-inspired-baby-names-280?utm_campaign=default&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

that was dumb....but not as dumb as a LOT Of people naming their daughters Arya and Khaleesi, or Elsa. gently caress, parents are so stupid. Grow up people.

It's Kelly C, learn how to spell.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Just a little sumptin' sumptin':

http://i.imgur.com/OjuuF0F.jpg

ETA: a bit bloody

Is that Loras?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Possibly Chicken posted:

Is it ok for me to watch this season if I never watched season 5 and just wanna enjoy the poo poo show?

It is permitted

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you're looking for things to read while waiting for the next book to come out (2050), why not check out Enrique Vila-Matas' Bartleby&co. It's a postmodernist novel about writers that refuse to write.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Can someone make that Bugs Bunny sawing off Florida gif, but with Dorne?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Thanks guys, enjoyed it

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't really mean "no magic" i just mean "magic doesn't displace the actual interesting parts like it does in game of thrones and is not used as a central plot device because it's lazy as gently caress writing".

Pretty much everything Guy Gavriel Kay ever wrote. Maybe skip Tigana, because it's the most "magical" of his works, but The Lions Of Al Rassan and The Sarantine Mosaic should fit your request.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

So Tyrion is a Targ after all????

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hoder gets buped on the head and for the rest of the show keeps saying "Robert raped Lyanna"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jon Snow, black of hair

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Mel Brooks for no-glamour Melisandre

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Krinkle posted:

If the book ever comes out, if, and it has a single loving scintilla of overlap with the show, I'm going to poo poo out my heart and eat it. God drat. What a loving terrible show.

There's basically no literary journey that could make shaggy dog's head being meat hooked onto ramsay's table worth it.

If you think there is any further subtlety left for this horseshit production I'd like to point you to every bran flashback where he says "that's ned's sister, my aunt" or "that's my dad, and his friend howland reed, meera's dad". The show runners do not respect anyone's intelligence now. The umbers are not playing a long game. There is not enough time in this horseshit for anything less than who stabs who and surface text. Nobody is going to be saying anything less than what they wholly unironically mean from here on out. Nobody is going to say poo poo that doesn't directly lead to a shocking stabbing. gently caress.

Except jonathan pryce gets to explain what mothers are on mother's day. poo poo that's what that was. gently caress me for thinking lady stone heart might come back. We get a loving speech on what mothers are on mother's day. Great. That was fifteen loving minutes that wasn't needed elsewhere.

The show is not supposed to respect anyone's intelligence. It's supposed to be comprehensible to a somewhat interested viewer who's dicking on his phone at the same time.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you had a penis that was incredibly hard and thick and veiny, would you decide it was too good to use... I don't even know what I'm trying to say here

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MrSlam posted:

I think they set him up with it so they could write him off. They probably gave it to him so he'd sacrifice himself for love but there wasn't a good opportunity for such a big character death. Kill off all the side characters you want but you have to make a big deal for the Season 1 Episode 1 characters.

My money's on him going to Braavos to die in the House of Black and White.

Yes! The Faceless Men get his face, Arya wears it and kills Daenerys. If that's how that poo poo works, I dunno.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope it all ends with Varys saying "holodeck, off"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

visceril posted:

She's gonna smoke a bowl, listen to 90s rap, and jack it to blacksonblondes?

Is this a Workaholics joke? Because I kind of get it, unlike the Dragon Age reference.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

visceril posted:

It only takes a pro-player one half-press to escape that room if you exploit the door glitch

An A press is an A press, you can't call it a half press

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oh God please let this show end with a dude marrying his aunt

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pls don't read Sanderson if you like GRRM for the usual reasons. Read Bakker instead, it's the only thing that makes sense IMO.

Reading Sanderson is like drinking alcohol-free hand sanitizer.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

Eh. I appreciate a fantasy author who doesn't do sex scenes. Fantasy authors are generally the type of people who should not be discussing sex, period. You get weirdo rape fantasies like GRRM.

I'm not even griping about the lack of sex scenes. His writing style is rather bland, the characters indistinguishable and his worlds lack a certain brutality I like in GRRM's and Bakker's works. Even Robert Jordan made his bad guys discomforting and creepy enough to make them feel like a real threat, unlike Sanderson. (Opinion based on Mistborn and Way of the Kings)

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Not on the kindle store for some reason.

Next week

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

stayed up all night reading the gently caress out of it. pretty good stuff. Do you know if the entire series is supposed to be wrapped up after this next book? Or just the end of a trilogy. Another 500 pages doesn't seem enough to do it justice.

AFAIK one more book in this quadrology + final trilogy to come.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

My bad. drat those Alien movies.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what's the deadline that GRRM needs to miss to ensure that it becomes impossible for the next book to be out before season 7? Considering time for editing, revising, printing and shipping he would probably need to submit a first draft around now right?

They did it in less than three months after the manuscript was submitted last time. There will be no first draft because GRRM don't care about editors and other petty poo poo.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I will retire and die before the last book comes out. And so will all of you.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I hope he's already dead

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Woodpile posted:

I understand your disappointment.

Hey, maybe he can still get his money back.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

kcroy posted:

Hey, if you are tired of waiting for GRRM's next book to drop, you can always check out some of his other literature. TOR is doing a "Read along" for some of his early hit books

http://www.tor.com/2017/02/21/announcing-george-r-r-martins-wild-cards-the-reread/

It's Wild Cards so no thanks, but I read Armageddon Rag a couple of years ago and it was fun. Got my hands on Fevre Dream recently and will definitely read it soon.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The books are mediocre sci-fi, but Ty and the other guy at least keep publishing them on schedule.

The show is really good, though.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

wow, can't believe he announced it today! No one is going to believe him...

Is he pregnant?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I don't have HBO, did Sam finish his Maester's degree?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's not by any normal definition.

In what sense are they legally property?

And yet all Persians were legally property of the Emperor but some weren't slaves?

Also, you can keep a slave even if it's illegal to do so. I remember a case concerning a group
of soccer ultras in my country called The Myrmidons who kept several people as slaves in a beach hut and forced them to work without pay, under threat of violence. Those people were slaves no matter their legal status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

wow