Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Oh my god these are the most delicious tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

So if the TVIV thread is such a toxic dump, why tolerate it at all? Ponies got the boot when threads became a circlejerky shitheap over that, why not enact something similar for the whiners who demand to be catered to regarding decade-old spoilers? I dunno, I stay away from that thread so that might be too drastic or whatever but from what people post here about it the other thread seems unnecessarily terrible to deal with. Are other TVIV threads as bad?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Jeez. What is it that makes television threads so terrible? Is it just that it takes a special kind of sperg to post about TV (as opposed to any other media) online or what?

e:^^^^ No, I haven't read any TVIV threads. I'm not a big television watcher, most of what I see is after shows are released on disc or Netflix and the initial madness has died down.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

jsoh posted:

WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS THEY TOOK MY DRAGONS

Wow really? Unsatisfied with her incompetence in the books they wrote even more into the show? That's some dedication right there. Wait, no.

Defecation.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

You seem really angry that the movie adaptations of the LotR trilogy modified content from the books. Like, really upset. But you don't understand how people might feel similarly disgruntled when other books are likewise adapted to other formats in a way that loses a lot of what made the original work enjoyable?

Weird.

And in terms of judging by ratings and popularity, as mentioned in your original objection to a joke in this, a thread for jokes, I'd say the Superbowl is probably the best thing ever brought to television. :thurman:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

OhYeah posted:

I didn't actually mention that I'm angry at the modified content of the books, as far as the story itself is concerned. There are a few places where I thought the changes are dumb and I question whether they were made under the influence of drugs (Elves at Helm's Deep, depicting the Rohirrim before the battle as an army of young boys and old men with rusting gear) because there is no logic behind them, but mostly I consider them fine I guess.

However, Tolkien was not only a great storyteller, he was also a poet and literary genius. Part of the magic of his books is enjoying the exquisite writing and while I feel visually they managed to capture the magic of Middle-Earth very well (I had goose bumps when I saw the mines of Moria the first time), the dialogue was a watered down garbage which didn't engage me in the same way as the books did. Let's be honest, significant part of the atmosphere of the story comes from characters interracting with each other and the language they use. That is my major objection to the movie. Why would you change the dialogue when it was written by one of the best literary minds of the period? Do you really think you can do a better job?

Most of the problems stem from cramming to much stuff into just three films. They should've made The Hobbit into one film and split the Lord of the Rings into six films.

Yeah but this isn't the LOTR thread it's the Song of rear end and Fire thread, personally I'm not interested in a discussion of Tolkien and his work. I don't really believe you're going to be able to sway anybody here into thinking the show is the pinnacle of televised excellence instead of just alright with some good moments if you're into that kind of thing but if you'd like to continue the discussion I'm down.

Honestly I think I might get why you feel like the show is so good - you saw it before you read the books. Now me I saw the LOTR movies before I read any of the books and I disagree with the criticisms you mentioned of them as opposed to the original work. I think the movies did a great job of condensing the story and clearing plot-irrelevant details from the books, which tended to drag on uncomfortably at parts, and I didn't have an already-built attachment to the world or characters or How Things Are in the book. I like the movies quite a bit because they're a simplified and accessible version of the core story in the books and I imagine people enjoy Game of Thrones because it's a simplified and accessible version of the ASOIAF story. But personally because I have an already-built attachment to how things are in the books, I can't really stand the show. I'm not one for watching TV much anyway but the bits I've seen don't really impress me and nothing matches up with how I'd imagined it so I'm happier not watching the show regardless of its purported merits.

Short version: seeing the adaptation before the original colors your view of that original work and makes the adaptation seem not so bad. Reading through the original first though makes the adaptation more disappointing that it otherwise would have been.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Brienne won't be the one to hang Jaime but he is likely to die, She will probably try to defend him, fail, and then the BwB will turn against Stoneheart.

Source:

I'unno, my guess is that he kills Cersei eventually and they die together. How many times has one or the other said or thought about how the two of them entered the world together and that they'd leave it the same way? Plus Cersei was born first, both her brothers are younger than her. Jaime could be the valonky or whatever who's supposed to kill her from the fortune teller's thing instead of it being Tyrion like Cersei thinks. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he's gonna die at some point, though. It'd be more surprising if he didn't.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Sorry, valonqy :v:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

syscall girl posted:

MAGNIFICENCE

This here is art.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Anders posted:

Punchline is comming soon

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE WALL

No, okay, the punchline is already half-written, see? You'll have it in like a year, tops! Promise!

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Why the gently caress are they liveposting in the first place? just watch the drat show!

Yeah I don't get that. Let's stop watching the thing we really want to watch in order to post about watching it on the internet? Is there a draw to liveposting a tv show other than wanting to be the first to post about a thing that happened? Does it validate your existence to post about tv on something awful dot com, am I missing an important and fulfilling aspect of life here or what.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's like if you're a sad and lonely person and have no friends to watch tv shows with posting on the internet with like minded people is like having friends and it's in real time so that makes them real friends.

I feel like this is probably the most accurate summation.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Get that smut out of here this is a respectable thread :mad:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

THS posted:

why do you guys hate a well-produced TV show so much, and put effort into hating it

Why do you care if internet people don't like some dumb TV show? Read a book, you goober.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So I just binged watched the first 3 seasons over the last week. I knew pretty much every spoiler ahead of time and I really don't care if I hear more. I read on wiki about how Ygritte meets her end but are there any spoilers out there to point to HBO going in a different direction with the character? I'm going to be kind of disappointed if the show throws away yet another fan favorite character because GRRM hates the world.

kcroy hit the nail on the head already but she's a fan favorite? Really? I mean, nothing wrong with her as a character but yeah she's not that interesting other than in relation to Jon Snow and what she represents to him. Is it because she gets naked? Or because she has a catchphrase?

So majestic.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

rypakal posted:

To TV show viewers? Gods yes.

But why? I don't watch the show, what is it about her portrayal that makes her compelling to them?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

unlimited shrimp posted:

Because she's cute as a button and nerds love warrior girls you loving eunuch.

I don't know what she looks like and you can't cut off what you don't have calm down buddy.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Funny bit, that "Game of Thrones" story mention. Martin may as well mosey off to the cattle pen and let the show producers burn an HBO brand on his rump.

Ugh I didn't even notice that. Oh well, not like anybody in real life calls the series by the original title anymore since nobody knows what it means and books are the devil I guess.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

This is the one that gets me, along with the sergeant/serjeant swap. It makes me laugh, it's like a little kid doing their damnedest to lie to you about who got dirt on the floor but they just aren't convincing because they can't keep their story straight. It's just so transparently an effort to jazz poo poo up with uncommon spelling or word usage instead of using the original words which worked just fine and were already established across the earlier books. Now serjeant and the others are just distracting.

Jokes are too normal, bring on the japes, japing, and japery!

ahahahaha

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

OhYeah posted:

Yeah, I hate beautiful works on literary art by possibly one of the best storytellers and talented linguists that ever lived who crafted every sentence in his epic stories to perfection as well. So boring, so 20th century.

Easy there champ nobody said anything about hate.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Yeah Cersei's a lovely person, no doubt, but I did start feeling kind of bad for her in a "whoa she's actually mentally hosed up pretty bad, no wonder she can't make any non-crazy decisions ever instead of completely terrible ones all the time" sort of way. It doesn't excuse her horrible behavior or anything but it does give her an element of humanity instead of just being a Saturday morning cartoon villain like Ramsay.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

I always thought of Cersei murdering her childhood friend as an act of fear rather than malice or jealousy. The friend was the only other one who heard the prophecy, maybe she thought if nobody else knew about it then it couldn't come true. She already hated Tyrion as a kid if she hurt him when he was just a dang baby, mabe even then the idea of maybe being killed by him someday was scary enough that she took steps to prevent that outcome. She couldn't kill Tyrion directly, he was still a Lannister, but her friend was just some minor noble or whatever, right? That would make her not a real person in Cersei's eyes so down the well she went.

Either way, we've seen that Cersei is clearly incapable of rational or logical thought a lot of the time so her kill-happy behavior even as a kid isn't super surprising.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Lycus posted:

Of course, it's a pin now. I guess he could stab her a lot of times with the pin.

It is? That seems like an unnecessary change, and kind of a dumb one considering the use of the chain as a murder weapon. Is there any kind of rationale for making it a pin?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Urdnot Fire posted:

It was supposed to be made a few years ago, with a new story where Dunk and Egg chill at Winterfell too :smith:

I legit want that D&E story more than Winds at this point. It's shorter and therefore slightly more likely to ever be written.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This character escaped a rigged trial, a botched trial by combat that he had in the bag, was rescued from the most secure dungeon in Westeros, got away scot free of the scene of two murders (one of them being the hand of the king), sailed across an entire sea, traversed a portion of a continent including scary foggy zombie land, was kidnapped by someone who wanted to TAKE HIM TO DANY...ohhhhhh but poo poo, she's in a field somewhere near him now. Argh! Think George...THINK!

AND escaped from slavery by convincing a bunch of mercenaries to sign him on despite a glaring lack of martial ability.

I didn't really realize how improbable all of that was and precisely how monumentally stupid the near miss is because of it until you pointed it out. This goes beyond incompetence and straight into self-sabotage, what the gently caress Gurm come on.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

fruition posted:

pro tip for the single guys: Try to find a girl who doesn't care about a diamond ring or a dream wedding but if she does make sure she's a Stark in the streets and a wildling in the sheets.

:catstare:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

- dany and the new doth horde, if I remember right it's led by a former Drogo bloodrider who didn't like her poo poo (figurative, but possibly literal too).

Yeah, that's the guy who she stopped from raping a lady in the town where they picked up the maegi and he got all mad. Later he raped the lady anyway and killed her before loving off with part of Drogo's horde and Dany swore vengeance so that ought to be interesting if the confrontation ever gets written.

It won't, though.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

dogs named Charlie posted:

Right, because she's so good at travelling west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYj7T9eEQ4U

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

*the player takes down a different Volvo, and learns he possesses the ability to Honk*

"You are Truckborn! It is your destiny to slay Dekotora, the World-Eater, and save all of Switzerland!"

This is good and funny and I am inclined to think favorably of you.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I got Skyrim last Christmas. I only just got around to killing the big bad on Sunday. Nearly a year in real time, over a year in-game. There is just so much poo poo left in my quest menu, and there's still just caves and stuff to clear out after that.

Go ahead and play it, just keep in mind that you will come to hate tombs and crypts; not because they are hard, but because they are full of Dread Deathlords who are just huge Shouting axesponges :negative:

That's why you sneak up on them until you get close enough, then scream at your weapons to make them go faster and dice the baddies up like you were a psychotic blender on legs. :getin:

But yeah it sounds like Skyrim is your kind of game kaworu but it's probably guaranteed that you'll lose hours of your life to it and not even care. I couldn't tell you how much time it stole from me and I never really got around to completing the main storyline. It's seriously fun, even if you're just stealing everything not nailed down in people's houses and dumping all of their poo poo in the streets and watching it get kicked everywhere by the townsfolk.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

OhYeah posted:

On a side note, has anyone watched Harry S. Plinkett's Star Wars prequels reviews? There is a scene for the review of Attack of the Clones where he discusses how the laser sword is not a universally convenient weapon. He brings up a fat alien dude as an example along the phrase "and look at this clumsy, fat rear end in a top hat!" and for some reason every time a face of ultra-smug Gurm comes up in my mind.

I avoid watching interviews and other videos with Gurm in them so I can keep imagining that he sounds like Plinkett. It's just so perfect.

"You want some pizza rolls?"

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

kcroy posted:

It is maybe only interesting in that we now have a flood of pretenders to the throne - but we sort of had that anyway? There is nothing really interesting or likeable about aegon/connington, introduced out of the blue in the last half of the series. And for him to be part of Varys planning is weird too. There should have been some more obvious hints of his existence ( or Varys plotting ) earlier on. Maybe there are, but I didn't see them. So it wasn't an "AH HA!" moment , it was "uhm... what now?" moment.

Bolded the relevant bit. The only bit that I figured for forshadowing Aegon's existence and Varys' schemes is in an early chapter of Clash, when Tyrion chats with Varys I think after he first arrives at Kings Landing:

quote:

"Have you seen the comet?"
"I'm short, not blind," Tyrion said. Out on the kingsroad, it had seemed to cover half the sky, outshining the crescent moon.
"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger," Varys said. "They say it comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow."

The mention of a king and of fire and blood specifically could be construed as evidence even that early on in the series of Varys' true allegiance. Or it could be a coincidence. Either way there was enough time between the publications of Clash and Dance that such a tenuous connection failed to actually impact the reader. I certainly never picked up on it until a re-read and never paid much attention to that line beforehand.

eXXon posted:

Kevin J. Anderson presents The Winds of Winter.

Eeugh

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

A Typical Goon posted:

I could be wrong because I don't have the books in front of me but the part about Balon's death reminded me, most of the prophecies are about leaders of great houses dying. Robb, Balon and Joffrey's deaths are all talked about by the Ghost and you could make the case that Lysa Arryn's death was a result of Littlefinger creeping on Sansa's snow castle

That was my takeaway from the snow castle vision. Wasn't that when Littlefinger forces a kiss on Sansa and Lysa sees him do it? Which then sends her into a tizzy that ends in a quick jaunt out the Moon Door. I figured that was the significance of it, but then it's been a while since I read it last.

Unrelated question: How did Dondarrion recognize Catelyn's corpse when he found it in the river? Or did he just see a dead lady and was upset about it? I'm not sure that they'd ever met while either of them were alive, Beric being from the Stormlands and Cat being from the Riverlands/the North and was on the down-low when she was in King's Landing. I can't remember why he insisted she be brought back to life, or why he cared enough to do it himself when Thoros wouldn't.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

I had forgotten about Harwin completely, that makes sense.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

If you believe hard enough then sure it will, kiddo

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Wheeee posted:

I read the first book that Rothfuss guy wrote because goons kept slobbering his knob and it was a loving awful pretentious mess written by a narcissist, so I can only imagine how entertaining his fanbase interactions are.

Yeah a friend of mine lent me that book and "pretentious narcissist" is a pretty apt description. I didn't hate it or anything but it wasn't as amazing as I was lead to believe.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

I've lurked the bad threads almost entirely but enjoyed them very much

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

UltraRed posted:

Is D&B a thread joke? I thought they were Dan and David?

Ah, yes, the good ol' Dick & Balls

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Cardiac posted:

This thread’s existence assumes a new book.

This thread exists on a self sustaining diet of hatred and keyboard goop

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

To kill her himself and get killed immediately afterwards, probably by somebody who saw him do it. Enter the world together, leave it together, and fulfill that one prophecy about her getting killed by her brother while he's at it cos hey why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

eXXon posted:

Just checking in on this thread for the first time in years to :lol: at the idea of gurm discarding anything he writes, and then doubly so at him writing anything in the first place.

He won't discard them, he'll "meanwhile" them into the next book that won't ever be written