Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lenin Stimpy posted:

So I can't remember right now, but why didn't Theon tell the spearwives that "Arya" isn't Arya?

Was it because he wanted to escape himself? Or because Jeyne doesn't deserve to be tortured, and if he told them they wouldn't rescue her? Or both? I don't think it's explicit, so what do y'all think?

He didn't tell them because it would be literally pointless for them to smuggle out a fake Arya who doesn't have a real claim to anything.

I hope Jon is the Ice in ASoIaF and comes back as a friendly Other like Benjen "Coldhands" Stark. That assassination came out of nowhere but then again Bowen Marsh is an idiot.

I feel really silly because I was all worried about Manderly when the Freys tried to get him. They cut through three chins but luckily he had four. I was also scared for Barristan because he kept thinking about he's all old and not-young and going up against some crazy pit fighter.

Also I'm trying to figure out how Daenerys is going to get the horn from Victarion. It was even mentioned that the Targs of old used magic horns to control their beasts and blowing the horn makes you internally combust which is something that Dany is conveniently immune to now (TWICE!). Then again I think I'd rather she just keep making GBS threads in the grass after drinking poop water and eating poop berries.

E:

Rarity posted:

How long did it take people to figure out that Abel was Mance Rayder? Cause it didn't click for me until one of the washerwomen talked about being south of the Wall. I'm guessing most people were smarter than me.

I just finished the book about 10 minutes ago and didn't realize this until you posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well nothing at all of importance happens during Tyrion chapters so that's like a good 1/4 of the book you can speedread through.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dany is going to ride to Mereen with ten thousand Dothraki screamers while Tyrion negotiates the Second Suns' new contract with the Queen's Hand.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Maybe for Starks the pattern holds but there's plenty of people who die without besmirching their honour. Ser Kevan, for one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You ain't seen nothing yet 'till you feast your eyes on Lord Wyman "Four Chins" Manderly.

He owns so much though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also tired of him introducing new characters that don't do anything. As someone else mentioned, Asha's entire plot was told in Bolton's letter. Quentyn could have had two chapters: him showing up and getting denied by Dany, and then him trying to tame the dragon.

I enjoyed Asha's chapters but that's probably because I'm all about the pirate woman who whores like a man and chucks axes into people's faces. Also, great perspective into the differences between southern knights (and I guess our Ironborn POV) and the Northmen. All the southern warhorses die while the Northmen are basically skipping along having chuckling at the light dusting of snow they're getting this time of the year.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ser Patrek of King's Mountain (named after a Football blogger named Pat who lives in Montreal "Mont Royal") is an insert character added when he won a bet against GRRM. Pat's favourite team is the Dallas Cowboys (hence Patrek's colours of blue, white and silver with a five pointed star) and he's been eager to see how he would die in the books.

Well, GRRM is a NY Giants fan.

showbiz_liz posted:

The guy who bought Tyrion and Penny... after he was described as obese, lying down, and dressed in a yellow tokar, I started picturing him as hedonismbot from Futurama. Like, for the entire rest of the novel. It was hedonismbot screwing a hermaphrodite, hedonismbot crapping himself to death... and I could not get the image out of my head because it just made so much damned sense.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one.

Yeah I thought this too and it made Tyrion chapters far more bearable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pigdog posted:

So, any bets on the asinine and frustrating way Barristan the Bold is going to die in the next book? He's being way too cool for GRRM universe to live, so I'd assume he's going to die of common dysentery... or get snacked on by dragons while Dany watches but is unable to intervene.

Also, does anyone find it a little bit creepy that GRRM is writing new books at the same time while HBO will be making them into TV series? Some actor looking at GRRM wrong at the set? Uh-oh, next book his or her character is going to die of humiliation and/or buttrape. :smug:

He's going to die at the end of Dream of Spring of old age in his retirement home which is exactly the opposite way he wanted to die.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Dance With Dragons posted:

Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

This is how I felt about Dany chapters.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ramsey claimed to have killed Stannis, who was the Watch's only ally in the Seven Kingdoms and then directly threatened Jon and by extension the Watch. Of course there was a lot of personal issues involved as well but while the Watch is not supposed to get involved with political matters, if it is targeted by someone that would undermine the mission of defending against the Others, it should be reasonable to respond in kind.

Good lord that was a terrible sentence.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well Littlefinger's endgame is to seize as much power for himself, which is fine except for the fact that the more he mucks things up the weaker the kingdoms will be against the Others when they come pouring through the Wall.

Varys on the other hand seems to be sewing chaos in order to ensure an orderly transition to a Targ government which has dragons that can melt Others.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

To be fair the only reason Theon is sympathetic is because Ramsay is so much worse, and who the hell is going to be bad enough to make Ramsay look okay?

I think the turning point for me was when he was in the Godswood and Bran reached out to him and he admits out loud that all he wished for was to be a Stark.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ned is from the North where the only thing holding it together is a very strict sense of honour amongst the Northmen. He wouldn't know a thing about pinching his nose to make a decision. As we all know it doesn't work in the South where staying honourable to one's values is as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

But as we've seen, people like Lord Manderly will always believe in the Starks even when it would be politically expedient to bend to the will of King's Landing. You've got Lord Manderly baking Freys into pie and planning a glorious backstabbing with the Umbers so they can put Rickon back on the throne. You have a whole bunch of Northern clans uniting behind Stannis not because they love him but because they want to save the Stark girl.

So yes, Ned got poo poo done but the way he did it was not the politically best way of doing so. Which is far more than what Dany ever did but we must forgive her for she is a little girl and doesn't know much in the ways of not being unfit to rule.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Forgive her for she is just a young girl and knows little in the ways of evading capture.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I always took it to be that Varys arranged for the assassination but wanted it to fail so he could anger Khal Drogo into invading sooner.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
if Jon Snow was actually a secret Targ and he still thought of Ned as his father we wouldn't hold that against him but if Tyrion was a secret Targ and he thought of Tywin as his father we would never forgive GRRM for destroying such character development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Blind Sally posted:

I was under the impression that it was similar chicken pox. Not as dangerous in children, but fatally dangerous in adults. I assumed that the disease had run its course in Shireen and she was just left with "pock marks." The Maesters say she is alright.

Of course, maybe the Wildlings have more knowledge of it. Perhaps the greyscale is just dormant in Shireen and she's a walking time-bomb of a disease vector.

Chicken Pox resurfaces later in life as Shingles. It's not that hard to come up with a pox-like disease that is fairly minor as a child and then later in life wham, even worse outbreak.