Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr. VonHugenstein posted:

This was one of the weird things about the book to me; for years a lot of people hypothesized one of the main reasons that AFFC was a letdown was because we didn't have Dany and Tyrion chapters. Then as it turns out Dany and Tyrion are a drag for most of this book, while the less prominent character POVs are mostly pretty interesting (who would have guessed Victarion would be great after the drag-rear end Iron Island chapters from AFFC).

Its clear at the end of Swords that Tyrion and Dany were going to be spinning their wheels for awhile. Tyrion's on the run and Dany's chilling in Mereen. If GRRM had skipped Dance and jumped right into Winds I think readers would have been able to connect the dots just fine.

"Dany is a lovely ruler and Mereen is at war."
"Tyrion fled across the sea where he was drawn to Mereen by stories of the Dragon Queen."

There's at least five hundred pages of nothing summarized in two sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Its obvious Varys is working with the Devil of the Cold or whoever the gently caress Melisandre is always going on about. The ritual which cost him his junk also put an Other in him. His plan is to soften up Westeros for the coming wight invasion. Really, there is no other justification for his actions.

kiph posted:

GRRM must have had one poo poo-hot sister.

Yup.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

whoflungpoop posted:

But when I first read it I couldn't figure out if it was supposed to be the advanced stages of dysentery or if she finally started getting her period again, therefore signifying a magical return of her fertility and therefore foreshadowing some sort of further development/transformation aided by the waxing magical forces, etc.

Why can't it be both? Dany had shitwomb and the dysentery cleaned out her system.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The homely farmgirl began tugging at Ser Jammie's pink turnip, using techniques she perfected over many hundreds of hours in the fields tending to her crops. Now she tended to Ser Jammie's crop, doing for him what he can no longer do to himself after he lost his sword hand to the villain, Largo Goat.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Gangs of New York is pretty rad. Daniel Day Lewis chews the scenery like a motherfucker.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

AFFC+ADWD is not 4 seasons of material.

Seeing as we're a good six years away from TWOW, there had better be five seasons of material in AFFC+ADWD.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Contra Calculus posted:

There's still a few shockers to come. Nothing as big as this probably unless in the next two books Gurm finds a way to actually SHOCKINGLY kill characters off again.

You can't take someone's virginity twice.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Really its just three layers cut into thirds.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If ever there was a man who could rape a woman with his eyes...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

morcant posted:

I only go into TVIV for the Dexter and Orphan Black threads. Those ones at least don't seem too bad. :(

Threads for bad shows tend to be better than threads for good shows. It seems that the more popular a show becomes, the more likely its thread will be a boring circlejerk or infested with poo poo posts. See: the Game of Thrones thread.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, Dany's more like a mail-order bride who marries Drogo to get her Dothraki green card.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

redreader posted:

I think it's mostly about dudes sitting down and spreading their legs really wide, like 'look at my cock!' or 'oh no I can't close my legs because of my dick'. People do this and it's loving annoying. I'm a guy and I try not to do it because it's douchey.

Or maybe men have proportionately narrower hips and can't cross their legs as naturally as women?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

redreader posted:

His bag was taking up a seat. He'd probably have moved it if anyone had asked though.

Really. The implication is 'don't sit next to me if you don't have to,' not 'these seats belong to me and I will defend them with DIARRHEA AND FIRE!' Everybody does it, and not just on public transportation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
A tree died for that book.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Joramun posted:

Someone like Antonio Banderas.

Ah, a Dornish Rex. I like it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aurain posted:

All the images on the base article just look like templates modified a bit.

You just described nearly all fanart made in the last ten years. Nerds love paper doll poo poo because it doesn't require talent.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Personperson14 posted:

This books just gonna be released on a chapter by chapter basis isn't it? He might as well.

GRRM is a modern-day Dickens.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

syscall girl posted:

And does Spartacus have a bunch of kids forced into adult situations the way GoT does?

Well, Viva Bianca does seduce and gently caress a 14 year-old.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't recall ever seeing Cat's breasts.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What's it called? Uh, I'm just asking because, erm, I'm researching the effect global communications systems such as the internet have on the masturbatory habits of the North American male.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

RIP "tummy"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shoehead posted:

Wait so the Wildlings who went over the wall still haven't attacked Castle Black or what?

They're biding their time 'til the season finale.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeffrey posted:

I don't see how that could not be what happens - no way can they not have a confrontation between the two after all that, and that's kind of the only way it makes any sense.

I'm trying to think of a single occasion in which fate conspired to give a character some much needed catharsis in this series and am coming up blank.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
FWIW, Tywin had a few flirty conversations with Olenna on the show.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

I like the idea of a teenage girl thrust into a really misogynistic society,

This is how they suckered in tv viewers, too. "Everybody cheer for feminist icon, breaker of the patriarchy, Daneyras Targaeryeon as she heads a social justice crusade across Essos!" GRRM had the good sense to paint a more balanced picture of her, making her a hormonal, entitled brat whose inexperience and arrogance led to her downfall. Hopefully the show has the balls to follow GRRM's example and not soften her character by turning her into a one-dimension GRRL POWER Mary Sue.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PupsOfWar posted:

Welcome to the wait for books 8 and 9.

You joke, but he already expanded book 4 into two and a half books. I wouldn't be surprised if he just said "gently caress it," released a full third book in the Dances with Dragons trilogy and pushed the Winds of Winter stuff to book 7.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like his publisher finally sat him down and explained how much money he was leaving on the table by not getting WoW out before the series ends.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Famed Author George RR Martin dies after taking the KFC bucket challenge.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GRRM posted:

We have booked a full run, so THE INTERVIEW will continue to run for two weeks, in rotation with the other films that we had already committed too before this all broke.

Ross posted:

Professional writer?

I know this is from a page back, but..

GRRM posted:

We have booked a full run, so THE INTERVIEW will continue to run for two weeks, in rotation with the other films that we had already committed too to which we were committed before this all broke.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Look at that svelte motherfucker. Guess predictions of his imminent death has been greatly exaggerated.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

davey4283 posted:

Which mash up of book 4 and 5 has the goon seal of approval? Does it even really matter?

Also, should I even bother or just read it as intended?

Read all of 4 and start 5 at the last Bran chapter. Just pretend that the first 34 chapters were part of an intended time skip.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Can someone explain why GRRM is writing about puppies on his blog? What the gently caress is puppygate?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.foodworldnews.com/articl...n-snow-live.htm

From the Food World News: book 6 is finished and ready to go.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

If you really want a writer that started with a grudge, look at Jim Butcher who started his Wizard Detective series on a bet with his creative writing teacher that he could write the most stereotypical story imaginable and sell a bunch, and then started another series after betting some dude on a message board that he could make a successful series with any two random concepts. The guy told him to write a book combining Romans and Pokemon.

I have never, and will never, read one of that guy's books, but I'm buying him a beer if I ever meet him in real life.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently my-character-is-totally-dead-no-really actor Kit Harrington was spotted during the filming of a battle scene for the next season (and part of it, not just there watching, it seems). Spoiled in the off chance this thread still gets people who aren't up to date on the show or the novelization.

Entertainment Weekly: In an interview immediately following Season 5, you said Jon Snow was actually dead.
D&D: Yes, but we didn't say he wouldn't come back to life. (Dan and Dave slowly take off their pants to reveal full erections. Dave starts stroking his.)
Dave: We fooled the world, unhn. (Dan starts fingering Dave's rear end in a top hat.)
Dan: We're the smartest showrunners take it, bitch in the world. (Dan and Dave lay down on the floor and start 69ing each other.)
Dan: Nobody expected this, uhnn FASTER!, twist. We even fooled the President of the United States. Almost there. Come on, faster. More tongue.
Dave: All those people, yeah YEAH, crying on youtube. We totally *glurgle* (Dave begins to choke on Dan's semen.)

End interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Krinkle posted:

I can't find the mercy chapter. Didn't some jerk archive it or something? Or was it from a book reading and there's only the big reveal people know about?

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/wiki/twow