Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
What makes Lyanna a stronger candidate to have been the Knight of the Laughing Tree than, say, Howland Reed himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

Height, having any skill at jousting, financial resources to procure a suit of armor, narrative purpose to give Rhaegar a reason to fall for Lyanna.

I really like the idea - it never occurred to me before it was brought up in this thread - and I want to buy it but I'm not sure. Narrative purpose to give Rhaegar a reason to fall for Lyanna isn't something I think is required. We already know that Elia of Dorne is not considered swooningly attractive, and we already know that Lyanna is sufficiently attractive to have preoccupied Robert's attention.
We do see a brief and mild suggestion of R+L during the feast when everyone's drinking, dancing, making eyes at each other, etc., when Lyanna cries (okay, "sniffled") over the sad song Rhaegar sings.

The issues of height and availability of armor don't rule Howland out, as "the mystery knight was short of stature, and clad in ill-fitting armor made up of bits and pieces". Those pieces he could've borrowed from Benjen, the "pup" who offered the loan of horse and armor; the crannogman "thanked him, but gave no answer", i.e., didn't refuse the offer. He went to pray on it, instead, to the same gods whose likeness the Knight of the Laughing Tree subsequently (consequently?) takes for his impresa. It's to these northern powers that Meera seems to credit the Knight's success / the answering of the crannogman's prayer ("the green men, or the old gods, or the children of the forest, who can say?" doesn't suggest any wolves or new friends). There is the matter of skill at jousting, but Lyanna's fighting skill has been framed as analogous to Arya's. It's easier to arrange for fencing lessons than it is to arrange for practice at tilting, a pretty conspicuous activity, unless Rickard Stark was even more supportive of women taking up the arts of war than was Ned.

Why does Jojen think Ned must have told Bran him the story? Ned, the "quiet wolf" whose tentmate the little crannogman becomes, would have to know about the Knight's identity if the Knight were Howland. (He's also Howland Reed's comrade in arms later on, notably at the Tower of Joy from which they're both the only ones to return. Reed is not an insignificant figure in Ned's life.) It's both a chivalric folktale and a piece of Ned's personal history, which might make it an especially apt tale for Ned to tell his sons. While it doesn't seem likely that Jojen would expect his father's past to be an important part of the Stark children's education, it also doesn't seem likely that Jojen would expect Ned Stark to tell R+L=J bedtime stories. So I'm on the fence, there.

So yeah, I like the idea that Lyanna is the Knight. But I'm not completely convinced. I am going to sound like a :tinfoil: here, but given the weirwood material in ADwD, it seems likeliest to me that the Bloodraven warged into Howland Reed by invitation/prayer and allowed him to kick rear end in the joust using borrowed horse and armor. The impresa of the weirwood would then be a very literal sign of the Knight's identity.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

Dude, it's a fantasy book series, not a CSI investigation where we can use genetic testing to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Lyanna Stark was the true Knight.

WHATEVER DO YOU MEAN :catelyn:

keiran_helcyan posted:

The whole chapter-long flashback takes on a lot bigger significance if it gives us the origin of R+L=J rather than just a cool adventure Howland once went on.

See, I think it has a much bigger significance than that, given that it's a story told to Bran, if it's a story not about R+L=J but about what Bran is going to / could possibly do and become.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Did you really read Bran going "Well duh, it was Howland Reed" and go "oh yeah, that totally makes sense, and won't be ironically subverted because GRRM never does that"?

Yes! Also, Stannis is Azor Ahai.

Seriously (as serious as GRRMplottalk can be), if Brynden Rivers / "the last greenseer" was able to answer Howland Reed's prayer and use his body to defeat the mean guys in the tournament, this would be a story directly relevant to Bran. Who can warg into Summer and Hodor. And who wants more than anything to be a knight, and is instead a cripple who doesn't know yet what all this greenseer stuff is supposed to be good for.

Put this together with the Varamyr Sixskins prologue in ADWD and the Bran chapter where he first sees and speaks through the weirwood, and I think there may be some temptation for Bran down the road.

There's already plenty of R+L=J significance to the tourney at Harrenhal, in various POVs and in Meera's story itself, without needing to identify the Knight of the Laughing Tree as Lyanna.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just finished. Pretty much had the same opinion as everyone else. I'm pretty concerned Martin has become Robert Jordan Jr. and no longer has any idea how to move the plot forward in a meaningful way.

This. This was my reaction exactly. Especially with regard to just about any Essos-related chapter.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
The talk of Bloodraven inspired me to find and read "The Mystery Knight". Now THIS is the GRRM I know and love!

an absolute fucker posted:

"Look," said Ser Kyle the Cat. "The wedding pie."

Six kitchen boys were pushing it through the doors, upon a wide wheeled cart. The pie was brown and crusty and immense, and there were noises coming from inside it, squeaks and squawks and thumps. Lord and Lady Butterwell descended from the dais to meet it, sword in hand. When they cut it open, half a hundred birds burst forth to fly around the hall. In other wedding feasts Dunk had attended, the pies had been filled with doves or songbirds, but inside this one were bluejays and skylarks, pigeons and doves, mockingbirds and nightingales, small brown sparrows and a great red parrot. "One-and-twenty sorts of birds," said Ser Kyle. "One-and-twenty sorts of bird droppings," said Ser Maynard.

"You have no poetry in your heart, ser."

"You have poo poo upon your shoulder."

"This is the proper way to fill a pie," Ser Kyle sniffed, cleaning off his tunic. "The pie is meant to be the marriage, and a true marriage has in it many sorts of things—joy and grief, pain and pleasure, love and lust and loyalty. So it is fitting that there be birds of many sorts. No man ever truly knows what a new wife will bring him."

"Her oval office," said Plumm, "or what would be the point?"

:allears:

New theory: Hot Pie is descended from the Butterwells. He just has to be.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Not really, any stopping point short of having Davos bring Rickon back to White Harbour would have felt at least as unsatisfactory.

I would've been content with a single Skagos chapter, as long as it included the requisite cannibals astride shaggy goat-like unicorns.

At this point I envision Skagos as being something like Fort Lauderdale during spring break, substituting cannibals and unicorns for the frat boys and scantily clad co-eds. Davos may have difficulty persuading Rickon to leave. We know from Bran's visions that Shaggydog is having the time of his life.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

He's so good at assassinating people even he doesn't know who killed them.

Theon didn't kill those people. Tyler Durden did it. They are not the same person ... OR ARE THEY?

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

niethan posted:

A mute ironman hid in a tree and followed Rickon and that wildling chick. Apparently he is at some really bad place. Something to do with cannibalism if i recall correctly?

Hedrigall posted:

Skagos

I.e., the awesomest place.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

I am also beginning to suspect that the books are actually being written by WILDCARDS! authors, one for each POV, none knowing what the others are writing in relation to their character, and the completed book is being edited by gurm prior to handing over to the real editors.
Hey, it's a theory.

This is my favorite theory. For reals.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
How did I fail to make the connection before?

SAMWELL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Simon Draskovic posted:

Make it a Strange Streets Christmas!

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007
Speaking of important themes in the series, I am learning new things about ASOIAF from Access Hollywood.

quote:

While one of Cersei’s brothers is in King’s Landing, the other – her twin and lover — Jamie Lannister, is now in the hands of The Starks and Lena said that does funny things to her character.

“There is a slightly incestuous relationship, which is very wrong, but it’s the way she was brought up. She’s a little crazy under the…surface,” Lena said. “Second season, I’m getting to explore that a bit more, which is good, because I like the crazy.”

Cersei and Jaime: SLIGHTLY incestuous.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

neongrey posted:

It's the way she's brought up. You know, getting pulled away from him after getting caught is childhood approval of incest.

My only theory to explain Lena Headey's take on Cersei's upbringing is that maybe the screenwriters needed to combine some more characters, and had to merge Tywin with Craster.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Pretty sure she's referring to Cersei/Lancel as the "slightly incestuous" relationship.

That'd make more sense if the Cersei/Lancel relationship were going to continue into Season 2, I suppose. (IIRC the relationship didn't continue past Robert's death in the books, but this is TV, so maybe they'll get Ros the Exposition Whore to spice up their assignations and keep the flame burning a little longer?) The way the reporter has laid out the conversation, she's referring specifically to Jaime's captivity by the Starks making Jaime all crazy, but anyone who's worked on even a college paper knows that editors can move paragraphs around without the slightest regard for actual sense, so.

Still wouldn't explain "it's the way she was brought up", of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

IRQ posted:

The amount of smug he manages to convey in that image is truly a thing to behold.

But since I agree with him I think it's awesome.

I mean just look at this:

Imagine him calling Gurm an absolute fucker.

I want this to happen.

Salman Rushdie: "At least my FANS didn't declare a fatwa on me. :smug:"