Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Welp, finally finished ADWD. I found it fairly bland, really. Just more setup for the main story, instead of stuff, you know, actually happening. It feels like both this and AFFC were all just build up to what's to cone, and I find myself losing interest. I want to see them fight the drat Others already.

He's killed so many characters that it's not even shocking anymore. It's just lovely. I went into this fully expecting Jon, Tyrion, or Arya to bite it, so Jon's death was just narrowing down the list of characters I care to read about.

He's making me feel like he's going to have all the important people be new characters plus Danaerys when the battle finally happens, which is just dumb. The characters are what made the books for me, and to just move away from all of them by killing them off one by one while introducing even more people to keep track of is really annoying.

I liked seeing hints about the schemes going on behind the scenes, but it's been 5 books already. Just move on with it already.

So I don't have to read this whole thread, what's the goon consensus on this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been away for quite a while, but this one probably ranks above Feast but below Swords. Probably right in the middle of the hive mind is my guess.

I'd put it just above Feast, below the others. It feels like he's just dragging his feet.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We use puns round these parts sir.

Sorry.

Oh, and did anyone else think that the only reason GRRM had those seven beautiful nude madens get sacrificed was so he could do casting for seven different beautiful nude women when they get to that part in the tv show?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

hampig posted:

On the other hand, two seasons of setup is one of the primary reasons why A Storm of Swords is so loving awesome. The foundations for the Red Wedding, for Littlefinger's 'only Cat', for the situation at the wall, for Tyrion killing Tywin, for Joffrey dying and for Dany becoming slave saviour queen girl are all laid in books 1 and 2, not in book 3. People seem to forget this when they read AFFC and ADWD - among other things they're also the setup for the second half of the series (ok ok, they might not be and you might just not like them, but we'll have to wait to know).

The problem for me is that the series is starting to feel like Lost all over again. All build up and no pay off. If the ending to this series is as bad as the ending of Lost, I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Is female circumcision sexual violence? I was under the impression that the unsullied (good point about the name) were castrated so they wouldn't stray while looking to fulfill any possible sexual desires. Lacking testosterone is certainly not an advantage for a warrior.

Yes, the same argument would apply to dog castration, except dogs aren't human, so I don't believe that they deserve all the same rights as humans.

Edit: I think I should clarify. Female circumcision is done to prevent girls from liking or wanting sex. Unsullied castration is done for the same purpose.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Proposition Joe posted:

Hey guys guess what, its the movie we've all been waiting for!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/film-version-of-george-rr-martins-wild-cards-in-th,64205/

Woo! A SyFy original!