Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Gaussian posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Arya completed her kill by intentionally getting caught stealing that dudes purse and then putting a poisoned coin into his purse as she was running (since she knew he bit all of them).
Yeah, that was my assumption, too.

Here's my assumption question; Jon Connington (at least) and Rhaegar are/were gay, right?

I liked the interplay between the Dany/Tyrion chapters, even if it did drive me mad.
Dany Chapter: Hmm, we could really do with some kind of wise counsel, here.
Tyrion: Tum tee tum, on the way to Mereen.
Dany: Gosh, we have all these problems with murders and such, but we have NO PERSON who could deal with such a situation!
Tyrion: All's going well, whoops, a setback! Never mind, back on the way by a different path.
Dany: Wow, it'd sure be handy if we had someone who could play the game with all these shifty bastards!
Tyrion: Oh dear, another setback, still, yet another route appears!
Me: GET TYRION TO loving MEREEN ALREADY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It seemed like there was still some sort of magic in it, she couldn't feel the face. My theory would be that once you have a new one sewn on you can change to the old ones you had sewn on at will.
My assumption was that it was basically just an equivalent type of thing to what Melisandre did with Mance.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

tin can made man posted:

What the gently caress was up with Moqorro? Out of nowhere comes this insanely powerful Red Priest who has turned into some sort of charred zombie. If R'hllor/The Red Faith believe Dany is Azor Azhai, why would they want Victarion to find her? His intention is basically to turn her into a salt wife and enslave her dragons himself, which removes Dany's agency as AA or the prince that was promised or whatever.
I don't have any ideas as to your question, but my impression was that the Red Faith really isn't all of one mind. Some of them seem to be supportive of Dany, Melisandre as we've seen is on Team Stannis, Thoros doesn't have any idea what's going on.

I agree with those who said Melisandre's chapter was excellent. Both in terms of stripping her apparent self-assured, utterly confident, powerful image from her and it basically being as much tricks and guesses designed to create that image, and also because it's basically a chapter where it's all basically about her actually not having that much true power, and then at the end it's revealed she actually has done some cool magic with her glamor (spelling it American-style since that's how it is in my copy, too). A great way of saying "Hey, she's not all that, but she's not a total chump, either."

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Presumably the Vale is just waiting on the kid's death, which is likely to be soon either from the whole epilepsy thing or from Littlefinger and his marrying Harry/Sansa plan.

Speaking of Littlefinger, kinda funny little aside when someone (Cersei, I think?) mentions he volunteered to marry Sansa right back at the beginning of the story. Not surprising, really.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I had a thought about one of the Melisandre prophecies. I think it's fair to say that the whole "Drat, i'm trying to bring up Azor Ahai but this darn Snow kid keeps coming up!" business is way too on the nose. But there's something of an interesting point in terms of character vs. reader knowledge with one of the other prophecies - when she comes up with the girl escaping to Winterfell, she guesses that it's Arya. I don't know about anyone else, but at that point, with what else had been going on, my assumption was that she was wrong and in fact it was Jeyne Poole, given that she's actually a replacement for her. And then it turns out to have been Alys Karstark. It's an interesting way to get the reader in on the mistaken interpretations, and show how easy it is - even with even greater knowledge, on that point, than Melisandre - to utterly get the wrong end of the stick, despite how obvious it might seem.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I was under the impression that it's not Cersei vs. Margaery (or their champions, anyway) in the trial. It's Cersei vs. "the state", or the crown, or whatever, since her (important) crimes weren't against Margaery. Margaery's trial is something entirely seperate, also against "the state".

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

literallyincredible posted:

Aegon is nowhere near a perfect prince and its pretty obvious throughout Dance. He's pretty and well-educated and a good swordsmen, but he has zero political or military acumen and its obvious that for all Varys insists Aegon doesn't see the throne as his "right", that the dude is seriously entitled. The scene where Tyrion owns him at cyvasse while explaining all the flaws in his plan of action, and its obvious Aegon hasn't even thought about this poo poo, is really illuminating.
I think Aegon's flaw is that he's basically a cipher. They've sent him off with all these intelligent people to give him advice and teach him - and so he'll never really have had to cope with people who aren't looking out for his best interests and giving him biased advice. Tyrion gives him a little bit of advice, this guy who he's never met before and could be playing him for a fool or have any kind of ulterior motive, and he utterly changes his plans base around it (yes, we know that Tyrion's advice is probably worth following, but he doesn't). Connington is very surprised when he declares that he's doing something different.

So yeah, that's the problem. It's not Aegon's plan, Aegon's ideas, Aegon's beliefs; it's Varys' plan, Connington's ideas, Lemore's beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Question; does anyone have a link to somewhere where people have collected all the random subtle poo poo that no doubt flew entirely over my head from ADWD?