Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Wait, are you saying that Preson Jacobs, to make his conspiracy videos about Songs of Ice and Fire, plays fast and loose with textual evidence to support his theory? Why I never...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

"With a catapult."

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Lycus posted:

Unless Stoneheart's gonna be a skeleton.

Would still be better than what we got.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

I thought Valarian steel was supposed to have the ripples and poo poo you see in Damascus steel

It does

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Also at the rate he writes, if he lives thirty more years he'll be able to write like...four new books.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

First, this is a great picture.

Second, when did Tyrion use the teleporter?

To get back to Dragonstone almost simultaneously to Dany, who was riding a dragon.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Read Fire and Blood, still can't believe GRRM named one of his Targaryen kings Aenys, and that neither he nor anyone involved realized how loving stupid reading page after page about King Anus is.

Trudis fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 3, 2018

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

You're not wrong.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

I think the show and the books made it pretty clear that Ned's decision to keep Jon close was emotional, rather than logical. His sister was very important to him, even moreso when she died because he'd just lost his father and older brother, and been thrust into a position he never thought he'd have. Then he's given a baby, the last living part of his sister, and he doesn't have Targaryen weirdo purple eyes; he looks like Lyanna. He's not going to send him to the Vale to be Arryn's ward like he was, and he's certainly not going to tell Robert, who was already in a dragon killing mood even before Lyanna died. We never see Robert learn about her death, but I'm pretty sure that even had Ned been thinking about telling him then, that anger and murderous rage towards anything with dragon blood would have scared Ned shitless for his sister's baby.

Trying to logic this out is sorta forgetting that these are supposed to be people, not fantasy robots. Unless that turns out to be the big twist at the end.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

I don't think that body has ever run.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

So much for the "War Against the Dead."

That was more like, "A skirmish against the dead and then a dimly lit battle against the dead and then the dead are dead."

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Can anybody explain to me what Jon meant when Sam was like, "If it's a boy, we're gonna name him Jon" and Jon said "I hope it's a girl?"

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Yeah they had the frog scene, but they specifically omitted the third part, about the valonqwhatever killing her. She just says the thing about the crowns and shrouds and the woman coming to supplant her.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

It may be just me reading into show stuff a bit more than I should, but when Bran tells Sam about R+L, he doesn't say that the rebellion was based on a misconception or a mistake, but that it was built on a lie. Being lied to is different than making a false assumption, and it's been postulated that the liar in question could have been Littlefinger himself, who had a grudge against Brandon and was hanging around at the Crossroads Inn around the same time, still butthurt about losing the duel for Cat. If Littlefinger did indeed sow some of his trademark chaos by telling Brandon that Rhaegar had forcefully abducted Lyanna, it makes sense that Brandon would just go down to King's Landing and try to fight Rhaegar, and it also would echo Littlefinger's plot in the first book to get Ned Stark killed.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Cause he's real strong

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s going to be Bran just in a less stupid way.

Well actually it’s going to be no one because there will never be an ending.

No one, you say?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

There are a few cool dragon fights in the middle of that war too except of course everyone dies, what a totally unpredictable GOT spoiler!
edit: although isn't one of the other survivor a targ girl(or a boy can't remember) who was taken hostage alongside her bother/sister by two criminals then spared after the criminal asked her/his mother who she wanted to keep alive and they obviously lied to the poor mother and killed the one she wanted to stay alive? or is it the same prince? What an happy family!

You're thinking of the blood and cheese episode, and yeah, it was pretty hosed up.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

some bust on that guy posted:

I actually reread the threads a few years back, saved the funniest posts, and took some notes.

I marked down page 142 of the "Proto-bad" thread as the beginning. The point of no return. When people who came in asking book questions started getting every spoiler there was as a reply.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2327492&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=142

Of course that's not full force Bad Thread yet. I marked down 158-160 for some great rage.

This is 13 years ago, wow.

Edit: This page is pretty good
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=417

A choice post from page 158, way back in 2008:

quote:

As much as I love the series now I think I'm gonna be pretty apathetic when the final book is released in 2020.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Do you really need the night's watch now that the walkers are gone forever and the wall is all busted? They never said so but between the walker threat ending and the wildlings becoming members of the new queen/king's retinue, I don't see much of the point of having manned castles protecting a broken wall.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Why were they using real weapons during the tournament? It seemed like they were killing each other on purpose, like the dude who got the axe to the face. Didn't they use blunted tourney weapons, and let people live when they were on the ground, beaten? I know Daemon was allowed to yield, but nobody in the crowd seemed like it was anything but normal to have folks fight to the death in what was at the time basically sports.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

My wife made this in honor of Game of Thrones coming back:

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

poo poo's late.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

no

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This actually happens all the time in real history books! We just don't know about it because those despised but super relevant people aren't in the history books. I know this because

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

Listen, let's not railroad the guy. He's written...something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

No Ty was the guy who wrote the books. According to this thread, at least.