Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey what happened to the bad thread? I've been gone for a few months. Is the book really coming out in a few days? Gosh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

So I avoided this thread and just finished the book. Why did Jon suddenly betray everyone? Like he was so carefull to do the honorable thing and not really betray his vows for the entire book, letting the wildlings pass was the right thing to do, and bolstering the watch an re-manning the castles was the best thing for the watch. The whole arc is about how just and careful he was being, then suddenly in the span of 2 pages he decides to forgo his vows, lead a wildling army to Winterfell, and prove everyone's invalid (up to the last page) suspicions.

With all he had lost, why did he turn his cloak just because Ramsey taunted him. It didn't make any sense, it was like GRRM just changed his mind at the last second. He didn't even explain why Jon did it, just said 'they talked for hours'. When you delve into a characters reasoning's and ideals for hundreds of pages, and then just pull a 180 suddenly with no thought put into it.

I don't know it seems stupid and not in the typical style for GRRM. How can you have a first person viewpoint with so much introspection turn out wrong?

---

Bill loves sandwiches, all his life he'd dreamt of having a sandwich. "I cant wait for that sandwich", Billl thought.

The waitress said, "What will it be Bill?"

"A salad please".

The last thing Bill thought as the knife entered his face was 'I hate sandwiches'.

Umph fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 17, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

When you ask it so blatantly I think it becomes sort of clear that GRRM was up to something here.

God damnit Ill go re-read it

But, John was surprised and in pain so surely he didn't know he was being stabbed before hand. Bowen was crying so surely it wasn't an act, and uh.. gently caress I don't know, I hate people who instantly recognize weird plot tricks. I bet it's obvious to everyone but me in the thread that it was a fake out right?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I enjoyed reading it but looking back it had some pretty glaring flaws and I think it's a sign that he's lost his direction. I doubt we'll be seeing any new content if it took him this long to write a book that goes nowhere. Like, the book was strong but the last 4 chapters just loving ruined it.

If I had been GRRMS editor:

-Quenton shouldn't have have had chapters. Just write him into the story from Dannys perspective. gently caress off with the bluballs on the Wintefell battle~ What a loving rear end in a top hat that we get no resolution whatsoever on a battle they build up the entire book. And Danny... Barristan leads the army into the camps, and when all looks lost, BAM~ Danny comes rollin up on Drago and fire/blood.

Instead we get an arc from nowhere to nowhere, a battle we don't see that is built up over 10 years of books, and danny flopping around in a stream pooing herself. That's right, the major ending conflict after Danny tames Drago is she gets a tummy ache from some berries and then rolls around for a few hours. I almost wish the book hadn't come out.

Paino posted:

(I don't think I ever found Daenerys annoying before, but thanks Martin)

Even Tyrion speands the whole book going somewhere but never getting there. It's nice to know he had a happy childhood of tumbling and somersaulting apparently. Tyrion falling off a pig sums up the whole book really. Every character in the book tries and fails to do something.

Ok ill stop, I did enjoy it untill the end. gently caress you grrm.

Umph fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 17, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

This a million times. Arya is all Jon has left. He has sent his friends away to help strengthen the Watch, he has purposefully alienated himself from any would-be new friends due to his need to remain aloof and retain command, and basically done everything he can to make sure the Watch survives, while doing his best to live up to what his father would have wanted him to do. Despite all of these innumerable personal sacrifices, Marsh and the other captains basically hate him and do everything they can to undermine him, and he feels like he can't change anything. Now along comes news that his sole remaining family member is about to be married off to the insidious son of the man who betrayed and murdered his brother while said brother was at his own loving wedding.

I don't see why people have such a hard time understanding that Arya is the only person left in the world who Jon would break his vows for, and that Jon found a way (in his mind at least) to keep from having his men break their vows. I've never been a fan of Jon Snow but seriously in that moment, I felt like he was taking his first steps toward being a real hero. gently caress the vows, gently caress the bull poo poo rules and promises - his sister needed him and he was going to stop at nothing to help her. That's admirable, even if it did get him killed.

The letter says "return my wife and my reek", so Jon knows 'Arya' is not there. His men doubt him but they remain completely loyal, as he didn't betray them. Not until he suddenly does betray them when they are helplessly outnumbered (because they trusted him). Jon reads like a bad horror film, blatantly ignoring every warning, then doing something completely opposite of everything he had ever done previously. His men had no choice, Jon betrayed all of them (though the reader knows he hadn't planned too all along).

Killing him was the right decision and he deserved it. Bringing tens of thousands of wildlings across the wall, arming them, and then just walking off like it wouldn't cause a civil war and kill all of his friends. The fact he didn't want his brothers to break their vows is irrelevant. Without him, the truce ends, his brothers die, and the wall fails.

Umph fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 17, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

xamphear posted:

Enter Ye Myne Mystic World of Gayng-Raype: What the “R” Stands for in “George R.R. Martin”
http://tigerbeatdown.com/2011/08/26/enter-ye-myne-mystic-world-of-gayng-raype-what-the-r-stands-for-in-george-r-r-martin/

I hate people who write like that.

Also this thread has died it's depressing. We all agree the book sucked rear end but we can't go buck wild about it like we could have in the thread that may not be mentioned, so it's just depressing and sobering that we waited so long for this, and we don't even get to go ape-poo poo about it and act all stupid to cheer each other up.

Umph fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Jakabite posted:

We don't all agree it sucked rear end, a number of us quite enjoyed it actually.

You quite enjoyed it did you?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Benjen is Coldhands right?

Umph fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Do you guys know if they have an increased budget this season? I was sad last season when they just knocked out Tyrion and we missed the stark/lanistar battle, where we get to see Gregor in action for the first time in the books. Without giving much away, book two features a giant gently caress off battle and I hope they can show it.... but if they didn't have the money to show the one last season, I worry how they could show the DONT READ THIS battle of Kings Landing with hundreds of Ships and tens of thousands of men fighting on them

e; Oh yeah this isn't the non spoiler thread.

Umph fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 6, 2012