Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The sacking of Winterfell doesn't need to be a big budget scene, it's like 3 recognizable actors and 27 extras sneaking into a castle at night and killing more extras.

From the smart thread:

quote:

GRRM isn't running GoT like it's a game of D&D though, it's a story. It's very likely the Dragons will become an important thing sooner or later, for example, and we know from backstory that Dragons are powerful enough to conquer continents. Wights are some freaky bussiness too, if you believe old Nan et al. It could be a story more about how those things are developed and used in the seting of a war rather than about the war itself.

Do the dragons do anything after Drogon burns down the House of the Undying in ACoK and before they toast Quentyn? I guess they're conveniently locked away in a pit for like 3,000 pages because GRRM couldn't find a way to write loving dragons in a more interesting way than Dany making GBS threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

bigmcgaffney posted:

Actually i quit reading the trilogy when the mule showed up that poo poo was dumb

Should have done the same with pretty loving pig

The Mule fuckin' owns the first 3 books are gold if you think the Mule was stupid just try reading Foundation's Edge and the rest, they'll make you really mad at Isaac Asimov for having a laugh on stupid sci-fi readers.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

IRQ posted:

The movie adaptation will suck because they're spending two long assed movies telling a story that really doesn't warrant and isn't even conducive to that treatment.

Then again, I was wrong about The Avengers. How did that movie not suck? It should have sucked!

The Avengers was loving awful

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gibbone posted:

Last night I dreamed I was watching series 7 of Game of Thrones and Syrio was the Hand of The King. Can't remember who the king was. This is a prophesy, believe it.

Your green dreams do not lie.

I had a dream that I went to Storm's End except Storm's End was a giant Victorian-style mansion where every room had an entertainment center and every bed had a hot chick in it, maybe not entirely inaccurate.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Anal Tributary posted:

From here. Oh god I want this to be so true now :allears:

Bullshit, Darkstar is the true song of R + L and is the Prince who was Promised and Azor rear end in a top hat reborn and the one true king who will defeat The Others and ride all 3 dragons at the same time and gently caress Dany every way a man can and will finally bring balance to the force. Jon Snow was a big red herring and I'm glad he's dead.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ambiguatron posted:

The Red God eats manhoods. Goats eat manhoods. The Red God is a goat. The Drowned God is Cthulhu. Therefore, the Red God is Shub-Niggurath, the black goat of the woods with a thousand young.

It is known.

Actually the Red God and the Black Goat don't get along :smug:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Black_Goat_of_Qohor

The "Varys and Illyrio are mermen" is the best ASoIaF theory and this is not disputable.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

please do more please

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

A small number of maesters, including Maester Luwin and Archmaester Marwyn, have Valyrian steel links in their collars, representing their study of magic and occultism. Marwyn also has a ring, a rod and a mask of Valyrian steel.

Since it appears that the White Walkers just up and shatter instantly when they come into contact with Valyrian steel, can we get some sick Valyrian steel mask headbutting action? Sam goes to Oldtown, gets the above mentioned items, and decks a couple walkers with his big head and magic rod :black101:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

It came from the collection of maps he released like a year before World of Ice & Fire.

Yep a lot (the majority?) of the geography and mythology outside Westeros and the parts of Essos we have seen in the books is straight up cribbed from other authors, the Lovecraft & Cthulhu mythos stuff has been pointed out here already, there's also some not-so-subtle references to the Elric of Melnibone series.

Maybe all of ASoIaF works best if you just assume that GRRM's fantasy world is just another incarnation of the dreamlands from Lovecraft or the drug-fueled dreams of Imrryr :shrug:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

He said something along the lines of blood covered Arthur Dayne's sword hilt being "kind of almost a bleeding star" but where's the salt and smoke? (Denial stage)

lyanna was smoking some dank poppy to null the pain and ned was salty about arthur dayne kicking his rear end and howland having to bitchstab him from behind, easy

Preston is funny cuz he does things like analyze distances even though GRRM has said he's awful at scale and didn't really think about it whilst writing

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

If Preston can't appreciate the first 15 minutes of the last episode which was fuckin awesome by all rights, than he just has an axe to grind.

I would be pissed too if I spent a good portion of my life thinking about and making videos about pretend depth that doesn't exist in a book by an old fat man, and then a dumbass tv show nuked all my theories

but I would have no one to blame but myself

poor preston

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CountFosco posted:

Basically, Game of Thrones as if it were written by Gene Wolfe.

please no one ever introduce Preston to Gene Wolfe, we have far more than enough ridiculous BOTNS theories as is

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I Own Soulz posted:

I just finished BOTNS and don't have a clue what I just read.

that's the correct reaction, the followup (Uth of the New Sun) sorta helps it make more sense (and Gene Wolfe said what happens in Urth is supposed to be able to be puzzled out from BOTNS, which tells you what he expects of his readers ((inhuman textual analysis ability))).

syscall girl posted:

he gets a replacement pimp hand too

they had best give him a volcano arm. the show's cut so many things that could be great (or unbelievably cheesy) visually already, just gimme that drat lava fist and I'll be happy.

robbed of the Yellow Whale being a whale...robbed of Daario's blue hair...robbed of Darkstar...throw me a bone with the volcano arm

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Preston's dumbest thing is assuming that GRRM's previous works have any implications for ASOIAF at all, like its doing a disservice to any author to act like any of their stories can't stand alone and there just HAVE to be hidden connections!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Krinkle posted:

It's actually cool and good to point out that literally every single time someone in his stories claims to be doing magic they are just using technology and being a charlatan. And every single time he does time travel only consciousness can travel back in time. And every time he does a race of individuals coming against a collective consciousness the individuals get sent psychic dreams under the illusion of false prophecy to specifically gently caress them up. It's cool to think you got some multiple choice gently caress ups coming down the pipe.

Eh yeah ok you're right, and I would be plenty happy if it turns out the crypto sci-fi theory is right, but I want to give GRRM more credit than that and think that maybe he's *not* doing those in ASOIAF because he's trying something new? Maybe I should know better than that by now :x

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the non-existence of Essos in the show after Dany came West is pretty funny especially considering they're all supposed to have their own legends about the Long Night and Others and stuff. but I guess that whole thing just got neatly wrapped up in the one episode so w/e?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe everyone who hates Dany flees to the North where Jon re-declares as King in The North and the North/South is the Ice/Fire in a permanently divided land?

idk who the gently caress is gonna stick with Dany now though

the savage easterners of course

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao I was watching the ep before Bells and you'd have to be pretty dumb to say this comes out of nowhere. They spend like half that episode trying to convince her not to raze the entire city and she's like "mmmm maybe"

the part where shes like "murdering innocents is our mercy to them" made it pretty obv what was coming 20 minutes later

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It is funny that after all the show did manage to spoil the books in pretty major ways that will certainly affect the way (hypothetical) readers will approach the text, if GRRM planned Dany's carnage to be a 'shock moment' like it was in the show he certainly lost that thunder, I'm sure gurm can't be happy about that.

I mean he has no one but himself to blame if so, GRRM being pouty about self-inflicted spoilers is lol as you can get

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Westeros is just South America sized iird

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

In a world built around multi-year winters, there are likely some animals and plants that have adapted and can be used for food, as well as people that have learned to hoard what they have. It's another that's only implausible if we decide to compare it to our world.

yeah you gotta take it for granted that "wheat" in a fantasy world is not exactly the same as our wheat.

I usually make the assumption the fantasy that uses familiar words but is explicitly set not on Earth is a translation into English because it helps me suspend disbelief and all

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, racism is a relatively modern invention. An ancient roman citizen for example would be really confused if you said that skin color makes you superior/inferior.

Naw the Romans were big fans of classifying people into invented ethnic groups and then considering said groups subhuman

It's not the same as modern racism where skin color is paramount of course but it's a fair word to use, whether it be towards the barbaric Germans or idle philosophizing Greeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

My favorite thing about Preston Jacobs theory videos is that he'll take totally offhand forgettable descriptions of some minor lord and use the description of their clothes or something to ascertain they're DEFINITELY involved in some long term conspiracy when in reality GRRM just threw it in their for flavor.

Also he thinks Daario really is Euron, which rules.

GRRM doesn't deserve Preston

dude should really get into Gene Wolfe so he can read a book that really does have all those layers and careful forethought he's looking for