Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Agh holy christ, where is The Winds of Winter, why isn't it out right loving now, I need to know what happens.

Also, why is Uncle Kev dead :(

I'm really dissatisfied with Bran's plot ending where it did partly because I was sure he had 4 chapters planned originally, one of them must have gotten bumped into TWOW. I figure TWOW is going to be Bran's plot-heavy book (loving FINALLY) and I've only been waiting for him to do something interesting since he had that dream way back when.

I found myself really interested in Melisandre, actually, I fully expect her to be a returning POV in TWOW. Also really actually loved Theon's chapters even if the first few made me feel like I needed to take a shower, when he turned up in the one Asha chapter I cheered. I hope they band together to fight crime (and pronounce the Kingsmoot as unlawful or whatever Asha's plan was).

There's no way Jon is dead and I have no loving idea where Dany's plotline is going to go from here but good god, no wonder Meereen was the situation that held up this book for so long, that plotline is the stuff of nightmares. It was great to finally see Dany suffering a bit and facing some actual hard decisions and making some actual mistakes, but jesus christ.

This book can basically be summarized as "nothing went how I expected," I stumbled across the list of chapter titles before reading the book and when I read what Quentyn's last chapter was called, I was expecting more "and then he was victorious and Dany married him" and less "and then he lit on fire." Similar situation with Barristan, though obviously less "holy gently caress, that isn't what I was expecting at all."

I was surprised to see Tyrion's acrobatics make a return, I really thought GRRM had kind of tucked them away as "was in the original plan but is now irrelevant."

I still can't stand stupid-rear end Victarion but I found Asha's chapters way easier to swallow this time, which just proves that Victarion makes everything else boring and awful by association. Can't wait until he's with Dany, he'll make me hate her plot after it's finally turned a little bit tolerable!

I'm pretty sure Davos is going to end up (another finally) being our window into whatever the jesus gently caress Rickon is doing, too, which will be nice.

And Wyman Manderly is officially my favorite loving secondary character, what an awesome dude.

EDIT: Also personally I hope Baby Aegon ends up being a giant red herring, or even that he's not actually baby Aegon but is some imposter raised to be a puppet king.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Jon Connington is also mentioned a few times in various Jaime povs, occasionally referred to as "the griffin" and once by name somewhere in AFFC.

Cake Attack posted:

That one scene where Barristan mentions that Aerys wanted Tywin's wife makes me think that Tyrion may actually be a secret Targ, and I'm going to be disappointed if that happens because I always thought it was kind of a dumb theory. But whatever.

Also I agree with this, it makes me worried GRRM is going there and Tyrion being a secret Targ is the one theory I've clung to being not true because it ruins all deeper meaning of his relationship with Tywin :(

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 14, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I finished the book and I must say, it would've worked a LOT better if both ADWD and AFFC were released as one book. As it is there's only 2 books left for that lazy fucker to provide a proper conclusion and tie up all loose ends, seems a bit rushed. If this was only the fourth book, there'd be a bit more room for the endgame before a proper finish. But who am I kidding, he'll never finish this.

Does anyone else think that Cersei's tame frankenstein is probably going to be the cause of her getting executed by the High Septon for crimes against nature?

Qyburnstein's monster will just kill the High Septon :black101: (which will probably end up actually being good for the kingdom in the end, guy's an overzealous nut.) Also, she can't get killed by the High Septon, she has to watch out for the valonqar (right now my bets are on Loras as revenge for managing to get Margaery killed, if that happens)

I felt like as a result of him having so few books left is why the Baby Aegon plot seemed to come out of nowhere and escalate so fast. There'll probably be a few more plots like that in TWOW.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 14, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Brannock posted:

I always thought that the whole Aerys/Joanna reveal was meant to bolster the theory that Jaime/Cersei are secret Targs, not Tyrion. If Tyrion is Aerys's son then that completely sinks a lot of really great character development, including "You are not my son", "Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you", and generally just makes it convoluted and dumb.

Having Jaime/Cersei being fathered by Aerys though makes the whole Tywin/Jaime/Tyrion father/son thing hell of a lot more tragic, gives us an explanation for Jaime/Cersei's penchant for royal incest babies, explains Cersei's attraction to fire, excessive pride, growing paranoia, insanity, and cruelty - and all of that counting double for Joffrey.

If GRRM does this I'll give him a loving standing ovation, because no one is expecting it and everyone has been expecting Tyrion to be the secret Targ. I would still prefer none of them to be Targs at all, but if I have to take the twins being Targs or Tyrion being one, I'll take the twins any day.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Khobra posted:

Wait, do people think there's been a big conspiracy to kill Jon? I thought he was attacked because he betrayed his vows by deciding to march on Ramsay.

He was also attacked because he surrounded himself with dumbasses who refused to see the wildlings as anything but an enemy.

Jon's plot can be basically summarized as "sends away everyone who respects him, surrounds himself with idiots."

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Master Kush posted:

I am confused by Ramsay's letter. How would he know it was Mance? Though he could of pried the ruby off of him. Though how would Mance know where to find Stannis and unless it was his mission to. I thought he was looking for the Karstark girl? Though I may have missed what his purpose was in the book. And why would Theon and the girl still be missing? Wouldn't Theon at least be considered prisoners of Stannis since he betrayed the Starks? Also wouldn't Stannis want to keep the girl close since she is suppose to be Arya stark and of high importance? And no way they just leave in the middle of a brutal storm. It could be a plot by Melisandre to spur Jon into action and help Stannis. She may have seen Theon in her visions and that could explain how she knew that Theon had the girl. This letter was very intriguing to me and a shock, almost as much as Jon's supposed death. drat now I gotta wait who knows how long for the next loving book to find out.

Mance was looking for Arya, who was believed to be in Winterfell marrying Ramsay. The Karstark girl was the one who Melisandre's vision eventually proved to be about, but Mance was sent away to find Arya, and infiltrated Winterfell as Abel. The spearwives Mance brought with him might have given away Mance's identity while Ramsay was in the process of flaying them.

We don't know if Ramsay is lying about defeating Stannis, either. It could very well be a bluff. Why wouldn't it be, in fact? He doesn't know that his Reek ran to Stannis, and Theon knows Jon Snow. Maybe he thinks Theon found some way up to the wall with Jeyne. Presumably Theon would have told Stannis that Jeyne wasn't Arya, once he was brought to them.

Basically the answer to "what the gently caress is up with Ramsay's letter" is "we don't know for sure, it got the same treatment Davos did in AFFC."

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Montasque posted:

Speaking of Stark bastards, wasn't there a teen girl in the court of Manderlay named Wylla? She seemed to really be in it for house Stark during that show trail Manderley put on for Davos.

There was a Wylla there but that's probably about as significant as there being fifty people in the books named Robert, Rhaegar, or Walder.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

It's kind of funny to watch what trend words he picks up and abandons as the chapters march on. It's like watching the years pass by! :haw: (And everyone forgot neeps, he was on one about neeps for quite a while.)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Dazerbeams posted:

Maybe a little late, but Ramsay himself asks Theon if he's hard and wants to gently caress "Arya" the night of the wedding. Actual wording might be "is your cock strains against your breeches?" or something.

But seriously, I'm kinda drained. Is this series going to end with all of Ned's children dead? Seems to me like direwolves spell death for anyone who has one.

... and therefore, in a turn of events to piss off the entirety of Westeros.org, only Sansa survives :haw:

I'm pretty sure Sansa, Bran, and Arya will all make it to at least the endgame of the series, their arcs are too gradual and slow-burning for me to think otherwise. I mean, they could die before things get into the absolute climax, but it'd seem strange since they've had such gradual arcs across the series. It'd seem like wasting their characters in order to get a cheap shock. (This doesn't mean they won't die during the climax, though, which is probably going to be Arya's fate. Bran, meanwhile, is going to live forever and become Bloodraven 2.0: Direwolf Edition.)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

You're right, he just casually had other people do it.

Has anyone talked about where Rickon might be? Skagos?

It's almost guaranteed to be Skagos. Davos' last couple lines in the book say something about there being places in the world where people ate human flesh, and there was a bit going in AFFC (in Sam chapters, I think) about how the people on Skagos were cannibals.

EDIT: I think it's likely we'll see at least a bit of a recap of what actually happened with the battle for Winterfell in TWOW. Possibly through Bran's warg-eyes.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Space Pussy posted:

Both are infants. All you need is a wetnurse you can trust, which they had.

A one-year-old child would be an "infant" so gigantic that it'd put even baby Gregor to shame.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Belatedly, regarding chapters that got moved to TWOW, I'm also fairly sure there was originally intended to be one more Bran chapter that must have gotten moved, whether for space reasons or timeline reasons. My wager is that it's Bran watching the battle for Winterfell through some warg eyes, whether it's the tree or one of Bloodraven's crows, and that GRRM decided to let that plot thread hang so we wouldn't be sure what to make of Ramsay's letter.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

keiran_helcyan posted:

Height, having any skill at jousting, narrative purpose to give Rhaegar a reason to fall for Lyanna.

Also, Jojen asking Bran several times during the course of the story if he was sure Ned hadn't told him this before. Why would he be so sure Ned would tell about something Howland did?

Brannock posted:

Hang on a sec, I just realized something: War of the Three Queens - Queen Margaery on the Iron Throne and all the power of the West vs. Queen Arianne from Dorne with the power of the Golden Company and the East vs. Queen Daenerys and her dragons. I really don't think Myrcella is going to be the third queen in this equation.

Petyr was the one who coined the phrase "war of the three queens" and was specifically referring to Sansa being crowned as Queen in the North when he unveils her. I don't think anyone is factoring in Dany.

EDIT: He was also referring to Cersei vs. Margaery so really it's shaping up to be the War of Five (or more) Queens to follow up on the War of Five Kings and Petyr, for once, hasn't taken everything into account.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 16, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

This is the thing I'm confused about, actually. The church has admitted that there's not enough real evidence to take Margaery to task. The men Cersei had confess have all buckled under questioning, Margaery and her cousins have been firm in maintaining their innocence, and the only one left who says he slept with Margaery is that bard who's half crazy and the church has said they think can't be trusted. Can Margaery still be put to a trial by combat even if it becomes overwhelmingly obvious that Cersei made up all the charges?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing before that Martin had said on his death, all his notes were to be destroyed. Not sure if he was joking around or what, but he's a big enough rear end in a top hat that I believe it.

Although I'd have to imagine that's changed since HBO spent $100 million.

He said this because he was friends with Robert Jordan and resented when nerds decided to attack him using the death of somebody he knew personally as a motivator. It was still a baby tantrum to throw but now that poo poo has passed I doubt it was meant seriously.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Ugh, passing this series off to Joe Abercrombie would be my greatest nightmare.

But basically I agree that I don't think there's anyone in the fantasy sphere who can write this series "right" the way GRRM can, and that's why I can't really get onboard with "hope Brandon Sanderson gets it when he dies! :iamafag:," no matter how facetious.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Kainser posted:

Show news:

Now they just need to confirm that we are getting The Bear and Maiden Fair and the show will be perfect :allears:

I've heard that a few show crew members have verified that thing Tyrion was whistling in one episode was The Bear and the Maiden Fair. This is the hearsayest-hearsay, though, so. Grain of salt.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

GRRM has said he doubts there's going to be another time-killer like the Meereen situation was, for what little it's worth. He isn't going to get a start on TWOW until next year because of book tours and show filming poo poo, but I don't think it'll take him 6 years again to get TWOW out. It'll take ten. Maybe three or four.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Master Kush posted:

It makes sense that some of the brothers from the nights watch turned on Jon because he basically forsaked his vows, which the penalty is death. In addition he housed that girl and jailed her pursuers which is outside of the nights watch's responsibilities. Also he sent Mance out to get the imposter Arya which would be helping Stannis and taking sides in a war. The going off to attack Ramsay was the straw that broke the camel's back.Though you can argue Ramsay did threaten to attack the nights watch, which Jon should have made absolutely clear, and that to protect the watch he had to go to war with the Boltons. Though I don't think they killed him cause of the wildlings because it makes sense to let them through, as you don't want thousands of wildlings becoming wights.

I think his death is a good thing though, as he will be resurrected and reborn as Azor Ahai and would free him of his vows and leave him in line to become the heir of the North. It would progress the story and get rid of the boring plot of Jon trying to manage the nights watch. The next book better have some loving undead craziness in it and not page after page of one character traveling from one spot to the other or Dany being a loving idiot. It also better reveal Jon's mother, as in all likely he is the third Targ, and him being older and all would make him the heir to Westeros.

Aegon's older than Jon. Remember that Rhaegar only got a bastard on Lyanna because Elia was too frail to give him any more children, and remember that infant "Aegon" was brought with his skull crushed in to Tywin about the same time that Jon was being born, if R+L=J is true.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Look up what the Rat Cook did (it's mentioned in ASOS somewhere around the red wedding) and you'll immediately know why Manderly is a badass.

(It's because he killed the Freys and had them cooked into pies.)

VaultAggie posted:

So if Varys and Illyrio were raising Aegon the entire time, how come Illyrio didn't give Aegon the dragon eggs instead of Dany? It seems they have much more influence over him than Dany and it would have greatly supported his claim.

Edit; did Illyrio suspect that the eggs would hatch into actual dragons? I've read that scene several times but I can't find anything to indicate either way.

It's doubtful Illyrio expected the eggs to do jack poo poo. Dragons have been dead for hundreds of years, nobody knows how the old Targs bred/raised them, the maesters have been deliberately erasing knowledge of this stuff from history. A lot of people theorize that Varys/Illyrio planned for the eggs to hatch, but I find it doubtful. Even more so now that we know Varys' bets have always been hedged on Aegon, not Dany/Viserys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

I always thought I was alone on this. I feel like ACOK is the weakest of the series by far.

Yeah, ACOK is personally my least favorite. The first half of it is a goddamn drag to get through, first read or reread. Storm is still the best in the series, but ADWD contains probably the best actual prose -- it's just that it's still mostly setup.