Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Paper Lion posted:

So yeah this ain't TVIV but everyone in here was raging about Brienne being "TV ugly" and not REAL ugly.

welp http://grrm.livejournal.com/227044.html

Oh, look, someone who doesn't match the physique at all and may very well destroy her preexisting career in any attempt to match it. Brilliant casting, that.

I'm withholding final judgement until we see actual footage, but this is very lame news so far. Brienne is not willowy or pretty, especially not both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

It's seriously going to be the worst book I've ever read.

So you're saying you never read Foucault's Pendulum.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

I don't know guys pretty much everyone who can actually say they've read the book seems to like it maybe it's time to retire the "ASoIaF is now terrible" schtick.

Who are you referring to? Reviewers for magazine and such? Why would they say something negative about the Highly Anticipated New Work from Celebrated Author George RR Martin, the American Tolkien?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

You just go gently caress yourself and die.

Hey, I picked it up because the back copy made it sound awesome. Some guys at a publishing house start running conspiracy theories through a computer to create the ultimate conspiracy, as a joke, and wind up stumbling onto the real deal? That sounds awesome!

Instead I got to read about the narrator going to Brazil for a few years and having sex with some gorgeous woman who was drugged at a party. Also some other guy's childhood during the Italian civil war, and how much he loves some woman 1/3th his age. And the one guy was Jewish and loved to play word games.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

the gulper caper posted:

unending praise

:siren: GEORGE R R MARTIN ACCOUNT SPOTTED :siren:

You understand that people are calling it a failure because the main plotlines seemingly go nowhere, and actually regress in one case? Maybe that Selmy poo poo is really awesome, but people mostly care about Tyrion, Jon, and Dany.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

SlipkPIe posted:

So, wait

This whole thread

The entire thread

is full of dudes who just absolutely hate the poo poo out of GRRM and A Song of Ice and Fire but keep reading the books?

The books are great. GRRM is the problem. If only we could take him out of the equation and assemble a team of authors to finish the series in his stead, in a timely fashion. Bret Easton Ellis can handle the creepy sex, clearly, so he's in.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

A Hodor POV would be filled with the most prosaic of prose, artfully constructed facades of shadow illuminating the long night of war blanketting the Seven Kingdoms. His thoughts would run deeper than any ocean, the breadth of his understanding wider than any sea, his ability to cut through the gossamer bullshit of others like a blade sharpened to a molecular edge.

And all his dialogue would be "Hodor."

A poet, a scholar, a philosopher. All these and more, locked away in a cage of meat and bone, never to be let out.

Truly, Hodor is the tragic hero of our story.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

uncle jimbo posted:

How is a dead dude going to have a POV?

As Lady Stoneheart's stalwart vassal, Ser Glisteningmanhood, of course!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The knot was Dany in Mereen. He apparently couldn't figure out how to get her out of there with the appropriate character development or some such, and decided to just kick the can down the road to the next novel.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Undead Unicorn posted:

IRQ and co are REALLY pissed that GRRM actually came through on this one. Also their bitching is annoying as hell.

The only bitching seems to be from people complaining about WILDCARDS.

Anyway, count me in as someone who will be mostly skimming Dany chapters. Until that girl sets foot on Westeros, her storyline is perpetually uninteresting and dumb. Has been since book two. She is by far the worst character, and that's totally counting Elayne's endless "will Petyr rape her?" chapters and Brienne's completely tensionless search for the Stark girls. Also Davos and his mindless knob-polishing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

It's too quiet in here, so I've come bearing the fruits of deviantART.

Welp, I guess I should try to poo poo out something ASoIaF at some point. All my stuff is just pictures of GRRM himself...

I don't know who did this one, but it's pretty awesome.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

IRQ posted:

The perspective is terrible.

What? It's totally fi

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, basically. The lanes don't exhibit any parallax, so instead of the room stretching into the distance it just seems to go up a hill to some very tiny pins. The lanes on the right not covered by the perspective grid should be even more angled towards 90 degrees than they are; as it stands, they're converging just off screen in some kind of trainyard round of bowling lanes. This may even be too shallow, since on second look it doesn't seem long enough to be bowling lanes.

An unintended side effect of the grid was realizing the backwall and the tiled floor they're standing on aren't parallel at all. The grid is flat against the back, but diverges madly where they're standing.

The concept is great, but the technical details are completely lacking. I still like the picture, though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Simon Draskovic posted:

Tell us more about art. :allears:

If you don't think Jaime the Pinslayer is awesome, you have no soul.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Asha cares, too.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ramsay Bolton is a Mormon? What?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

gently caress yeah, lamprey pie

Don't those just look so goddamn delicious? I wanna shove four and twenty of those things into a pie and bake the poo poo out of it, serve it with some suckling pig maybe, or puppy's brains.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I hope Theon turns out to be a were-kraken in the next book. Who doesn't love Sookie Stackhouse?

Well... there's Pam, I guess.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yes, I love pc games for that exact phenomenon, it certainly increases my enjoyment of the product I purchased.

And that totally means the eBook version of Waltz with Wolves will just update sporadically as GRRM writes new chapters, edits old ones, shuffles the order around, and accidentally writes plot-forwarding events.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

YES bread posted:

It's okay to like bad books, I myself enjoyed Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I love old Ray Feist books, despite every single one of them being garbage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

In what way? I know I still refer to my grandpa as if he's alive, usually in the sense of "Arnold's a loving dick."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

IRQ posted:

It involves a Leman Russ, floodlights, and power armor. Brother-Captain Ty usually does the honors.

MORALE BROKEN, flee 2d6 towards closest table edge!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

It just strikes me as odd. Reading through the earlier books again and you see all sorts of nods to other, later events like the Red Wedding.

How soon after is it? They may not have known she was dead yet, even if Tywin knew the wedding would go sour like it did. Am I misremembering, or didn't it go totally out of hand and only Robb was supposed to die for besmirching his promise?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yeah, guys, don't you know that if you cut out all the lovely parts and only read the good stuff, George RR Martin has written a classic piece of literature and deserves to be called the American Tolkien?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

GRRM doesn't come across mysterious and cagey in that interview, he comes across burnt out and sick to death of this series.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, look, GRRM is completely wrong on how magic functions effectively in literature. Stuff like Mistborn is great exactly because the magic is so ruthlessly logical. It doesn't detract from the "unknowable mystery" at all. Absolute fucker is too in love with not having a plan. He wouldn't even have to lay it out for us, just so long as what he writes isn't contradicting itself and he knew all the rules.

And no, George RR Martin is in no way comparable to John RR Tolkien. One was a professor of english and literature at Oxford, creating his masterwork out of his love for mythology, language, history, and poetry. He meticulously created the entire history of the world, with multiple languages, hammering every detail out before putting ink to paper, and wrote a wonderful, timeless story. He spent 12 years making sure it was written properly, starting over from scratch multiple times.

The other is a pulp scifi writer with a Master's in journalism who made up a handful of words for his fictional language, and knows his own fictional world so poorly that he requires the help of a fan (a goddamn loving fan) to tell him what's what. It's been 15 years so far, and no end to this in sight.

In four hundred years, people will still be reading and studying John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. I seriously doubt the same will be said of George Raymond Richard Martin.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hmm, no wonder Tolkien's writing is so loving dull while Martin's is consistently interesting.

Hey, you can dislike Tolkien all you want, that's fine. I got no bones with that; I personally detest Gaiman, and he's mysteriously loved by the masses.

What I was illustrating is that we have Tolkien, a scholar whose masterwork is filled with languages, poetry, artwork, and history... and then we have Martin's masterwork, filled with descriptions of food, rape, lesbianism, food, sexual innuendo, words made up as he needs them, food, and food.

To compare these two things as being "similar", in that GRRM is the American version of the other, is absurdity itself. I guess if the "American" version of a classic is meandering, chock-full of sex and violence, and laden heavily with corn syrup, then sure. ASoIaF really is the American LotR. Now with 300% more carbs!

It's not irrational to like or dislike something, you rear end. It's a personal opinion. If you want to suck GRRM's dick over this book, defending him from all slights, he has a blog for that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

^^^ Argumentum ad populum.

Ross posted:

I only went back a couple pages but the only one who's called him the American Tolkien is you.

I bring it up once in a while because it's loving absurd.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 21, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Hell, I'm surprised no one is harping on the reviewer who compared Game of Thrones to The Once and Future King. I think THAT is outlandish.

And you're entirely within your right to think so. I've never read that book, so I couldn't say.

OaFK doesn't contain nearly enough descriptions of food, rape, hard-bodied lesbians, food, and food for my liking. :unsmigghh:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

IRQ posted:

No, no you haven't.

Seriously. You've been berating your friends into agreeing with you. They probably tell you what you want to hear so you'll shut up about it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, I'm assuming he's been arguing the merits of the books in person the same as he's been doing it here.

"Nuh-uh."
"Nope."
"Disliking this book is irrational, I hope you know."
"This is getting amusing."
"Kid, you're asking for a flame war. You seriously don't know a goddamn thing about Japan."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

We had trouble enough getting a Dark Hershey game going once a week, writing a novel might prove really hosed up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Warchocolate 40k. In the milk darkness of the far future, there is only cocoa butter.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Actually, I'm in. I will, of course, be the writer of any and all GREGOR chapters.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Dead Man Posting posted:

No one person can write a whole chapter exclusively using the Neovella site.

Actually, you can if you set it up to do so. Honestly, a 2 minute timeframe to write something in a loop with other people sounds like a really lovely way to spend some time.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Hey, he looks loving DAPPER.

Mina Harker is going to go apeshit for that guy, no word of a lie. His eyes burn like embers... in the night...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I am very disappointed at how little rape and food is in that drawing.

If you read this thread, artist, you should feel very bad.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It depends on the art style. Osamu Tezuka's characters blend together a lot, same with Akira Toriyama. Playing Dragon Quest 8, you'd swear Goku forgot how to charge his ki and got a haircut.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Well, to be fair, GRRM has all those other things going on in his life. Writing fanfic about pulp scifi works, lambasting people who write fanfic about his works, proofing tiny pewter sculptures of naked 13-year-old girls, going to conventions, talking about how important work ethic is, having Ty hand-blow new vaccuum tubes for GRRM's ancient WordStar, taking the Rascal back and forth between his two houses, and so much more.

JK Rowlings just had to write an incredibly trite story about a little boy whose foster family is hella abusive and fantasizes about being a special wizard who saves the world because he lives an empty, meaningless existance as their house boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, man, Battle of Blackwater's gonna be sick as hell when they get to it on the show.

That's probably the problem people have with Feast and Dance, actually. The lack of giant sick-rear end payoffs. No Blackwater, no Red Wedding, no beNedding, just... dangling character threads.