Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The show's going to finish unless it suddenly has a massive drop in viewers that doesn't recover before the show comes up for renewal, or if they signed something that lets GRRM kill it, which he would because he seems like the Phil Fish type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fragmented posted:

I'm just not ready for the death of hope. I'm still grasping its hand as I slip in to the abyss of writing slash Harry Potter GoT.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince That Was Promised?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Bullshit. Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Sam, Cersei, and Brienne all have thick-rear end plot armor and he made Bran a presumably immortal time-travelling tree. Sure he "killed" Jon but I think we all know in our hearts that that's a fake-out. Hell he brought Theon back from a presumed death after two entire books without him.

Nothing about Theon's capture implied he was killed off. Given the kid of crazy fucker he was dealing withI'd have been shocked if he was actually just killed since he'd have been such a huge bargaining chip if nothing else.

Both Ned and Robb's deaths were stupid as hell, Robb's literally being "like my dad I'm honorable to a fault so I'm going to do something really loving dumb" while also managing to be a loving prodigy of warfare as he was routinely beating forces lead by people with more years experience leading in war than Robb spent being alive. The only reason Robb's idiot actions make sense is if it's GRRM's cop-out for Ned/Jon with a "look, see, even his eldest son can be a dumbass in a moment of weakness!" I think GRRM even mentioned in a past interview that he had written himself in to the problem of Robb being an amazing commander so getting rid of him on a battlefield just wouldn't work.

Sansa's plot armor makes sense considering how politically valuable she is.

As for the Wall: (WoW stuff)Melisandre is supposedly a new POV character in the next book and if Jon's still alive there's not a real good reason to have two POV characters together like that. If Jon's alive and heads to Winterfell there's no reason she wouldn't be going with him either. Even in the show when Mel goes and meets Dondarrion and sees the revival she's shocked as hell which means she had no idea about being able to call someone back so having her do it to Jon would be dubious. Not to mention he got Caesar'd pretty badly and the only way he wasn't mangled to gently caress is if Wun Wun suddenly went after the Night's Watch or the Wildlings rushed to defend and save him whether as thanks for letting them through the wall safely and trying to help out, or because Jon dead = chaos and fighting the Night's Watch (and probably each other since Mance is gone). Death because you're honorable to a fault and let it blind to you your own self-preservation while trying some greater good thing wouldn't be new for men from Winterfell.

e:

Jeffrey posted:

I don't see how one of (Roose,Ramsay,Stannis,Asha) don't die in the battle of winterfell, one of them has to win. I think Aegon's time is limited, unless they do some weird Dany as the villain thing and he ends up actually being king. Littlefinger I'm unsure about, he's a player in a good position, but certainly served his story role several times over. He's gonna littlefinger Sansa some more, but I see her getting revenge at some point in the future. Stoneheart might well kill someone too though given that she's cut from the show, maybe not.

If Aegon turns out to be the real deal there's no reason she wouldn't be happy about it as her whole thing about her right to rule comes after her brother dies and because she believes she's the last one left but if her brother's son is alive and fighting their enemies? The baby she had a vision about and her brother proclaimed as the prince that was promised? Besides her family is rather heavily inbred so it's not like a male heir showing up would cut her off from the throne if she really wants it. It'd be easier than them destroying each other her killing the rightful heir with her dragon WMDs.

It'd also lead to the whole "the ending is something people might not like" thing GRRM seems to suggest. What better ending than to have the series end with the original ruling house back on the throne and multiple great houses in ruins? Either way, Plot Armor only lasts until the writer decides to remove it, like with Robb Stark. An amazingly brilliant leader who couldn't tell people were acting odd at the Red Wedding, or notice that his dire wolf was freaking the gently caress out because it could tell something was up.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at Sep 22, 2014 around 22:26

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I forgot she was. I guess that says just how much I paid attention to her chapters.

Jeffrey posted:

I just think it's a better story if she is so enraged and filled with bloodlust after poo poo goes down at meereen that she will fight anyone who gets in her way, in denial of him being a targ or not. Sure, they might buddy up and be pals who unite the kingdom and kill the zombies and stuff, I just don't see grrm running with it that way. I pretty much agree with the Dany sections of that blog that was posted awhile back, meereenese blot.

I'm not sure Barristan would just sit back and let her kill Aegon, Queensguard or not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hopefully if the next book comes out it's just a POV bloodbath so that in 2045 when robogrrm finishes the first chapter of the 6th book he's able to do so without as many characters to deal with.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ Doesn't help that AFFC has a loving ending note that's basically "Oh yeah sorry for not covering [characters] and poo poo but ADWD will make up for it, really!"

Jeffrey posted:

I will donate to the "kill george r r martin" kickstarter.

That which is dead cannot die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

redreader posted:

Maybe this is like, 'the bad thread 10 years ago' stuff, but is the drowned god Cthulhu?

I'd say the Iron Born are just brain damaged and probably worship an abnormally large kraken one of their ancestors saw long ago but that'd be giving them too much credit considering their holy ritual is literally holding someone under water and then giving them CPR afterwards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

She doesn't seem to hit the whole "I'm just a (little) girl, ignorant of war" thing that Dany does in the book to make people underestimate her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That'd be worse than Gary Busey cast as Varys.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Rotund, spoiled as gently caress, whiny, and just self-aware enough of these facts that you feel like a bully for hating on her.

I hate her without issue. She's stacked poo poo wrapped in human skin who tries to make people feel privileged to work for her for free.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah

He's not terrible or anything but jesus christ he's in EVERYTHING

Nobody who's seen the Fallout intro could say we need less Ron Perlman.

He would've made a good fit for Thanos in GotG as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mance had giants that he did nothing with. Giants. Creatures that could probably swing a 2-300 pound mattock.

I get that the wall is ~magical ice~ but unless Mance actually thought that digging a hole would mean the Others could get through too even if they sealed it, the only reason he wouldn't do this is because:

A. He's retarded.
B. Martin is an absolute fucker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

... because he wanted a quick decisive victory where he overpowered the "cripples and orphans" defending Castle Black.

And sending giants to an abandoned castle a few weeks earlier, like when Jon climbed the wall with the wildlings, is more than his apparently otherwise sharp mind could consider. The reasons Mance gives seems almost like a GURM cop-out. He could've overrun the bay of seals and then Castle Black with those forces to open the gate but he instead sends a crow he just recently met to help a small band maybe take Castle Black.

Mance is an idiot. But we won't see any more of it because no more books are going to come out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

various cheeses posted:

He probably hasn't had time to, since he's so busy writing.

Writing all those replies to fan mail takes time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

amuayse posted:

Why did Loras and Renly become full blown gay in the show when they were just pretty boys who were occasionally fruity in the books.
Edit: Also why isn't Renly funny or manly in the show.

They were pretty in to each other in the books as well. HBO just removed the subtlety because that's how HBO rolls.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

I want to know what dreamboat they got to play Rhaegar

Kit Harington, just to gently caress with people.

The Mad King Aerys will be played by Gary Busey.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MB13 posted:

Nah, this one's pretty good, too:

http://i.imgur.com/b0Zj1Lf.jpg

Someone explain the excessively tight snake armband because if it refers to something from the books I forgot and I'm not really itching to go re-read ADWD.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It took awhile to realize that was Jaime and Brienne, and not some random dude and a violated stableboy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lycus posted:

Did anyone really think Penny was gonna be in show?

Hopefully this means she'd be gone quickly in the next book if it were to ever get written. Of all the extra poo poo characters in the series she's one of the worst and I'm torn between hoping she kills him, or that his peasant wife/whore shows up somehow, and kills him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

No Strong Belwas? gently caress you HBO.

e: I'm guessing that bottle of water behind Dany isn't visible on camera. Maybe.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Missandei being a CotF is almost as much of a stretch as Varys not being human. Or Coldhands being Benjen. Or that GRRM will ever finish the next book.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

gf just finished 5th book someone link most mind blowing conspiracies, tia.

GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss are having a competition to see who can write the slowest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

E: ^^^^^ Just print out Squad Broken and switch out the original names for ASOIAF characters. Theon seems a natural for at least one character.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Done.

Now that that's over, I have an actual question. I know everyone is eagerly waiting to get their hot little hands on GURM's Encyclopedia of Who Gives a poo poo, but have a care and spare a moment. Do we know whose head FrankenGregor is wearing? Could it be Robb's?

Several friends on Facebook have been gushing about it and how it can let people read about the Night King or Longest Night or whatever the gently caress background flavor text. It's been hard to not respond with "you know what I'd like to read? The Winds of Winter."

I get that George Absolute Fucker Martin is a crusty old rear end in a top hat and competing with Patrick Rothfuss to see who can write the slowest while putting out side-filler nobody gives a gently caress about, but at this rate even if TWoW comes out, the HBO series will be done in a few years and cover the story's ending and a lot of people aren't going to care to wait until 2025 to read the last book and rehash things HBO's series has already concluded unless they're flat out going to make the TV show go differently at this point. Ending and all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ruddiger posted:

How the gently caress did they go from "GRRM wrote 50 million words over what the publisher asked for!" to "most of this book is written by those two jabronies who run the fansite." And I hear the fact checking is all sorts of hosed up (wrong dates about the death of king Robert, mixing up or completely changing names and birth order, etc).

I really wanted to be pumped about this book, GRRM. You got me good.

It was 50 million words talking about food and rushes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

3) Just how loyal was Robert to Stark when it came to the rebellion? The whole think started because Rhaegar either kidnapped Lyanna or she willingly went with him (likely the latter), Ned's brother and father got killed when they tried to get her back, war started. Would Robert have joined up with Ned in the same show of brotherhood if Lyanna hadn't been involved at all?

I think Martin's stressing the latter as much as he can without having a character outright state that Lyanna either didn't love Robert (at least as much as he loved her) and wanted to be with Rhaegar instead. Considering Rhaegar basically snubbed his wife for Lyanna in a public setting, and there hasn't really been anything that's shown him to be a crazy gently caress like his dad, maybe Martin's big ending reveal will be that Robert and Ned were in the wrong and everything that went to poo poo is ultimately the fault of the Starks and Baratheons.

Would actually be surprising if the ending isn't that the Targaeryns are back on the iron throne and the major houses are reduced to lesser status through the fighting and backstabbing. Nothing would be a bigger gently caress You than to basically end the series on a note of "things went back to how they'd have gone all along, but now the country's been ravaged by war, and ice zombies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

savinhill posted:

This ignores all the crazy, sadistic poo poo Aerys did though, also how Rhaegar took off to have his honeymoon with Lyanna instead of doing anything that might help prevent the civil war from breaking out.

Isn't there stuff in the book that suggests Rhaegar might've been looking to confront his crazy-rear end dad? Besides unless he planned to depose his father there wasn't much he could do once the Starks were executed by Aerys and demands made for Robert and Ned to be turned over to the king.

RCarr posted:

But who is Brad Pitt?

Arthur Dayne.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

visceril posted:

Why would the maesters care about military tech? They're neutral and doctors/teachers/scribes mainly, almost never advisors. Maybe they're sitting on a bunch of advanced (relatively) magitek armor and weapons and are going to swoop in to take over and bring order and progress under their enlightened despotism

The Oldtown stuff shows that, at the high levels, the Maesters are not neutral at all and have a very specific goal and mindset they're trying to foster on to others. They seem to have some Illuminati-grade plotting going on there.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Valyria was destroyed by the faceless men who assassinated the wizards who were controlling the 14 volcanoes valyria was built upon, the valyrians were constantly feeding slaves into the volcanoes or something similar to maintain their magic and breed dragons, gold was also seemingly a part of the process, there is probably something still alive back at Valyria that eats people.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard about ASOIAF recently.

"Hey we have this all-powerful empire and it sits on volcanoes that we have to actively keep from obliterating us, maybe we shouldn't focus all of our power in one place?"
"Nonsense, nothing could ever go wrong we are find what's hubris?"
"..wait what do you mean a guild of peerless assassins killed some of our critical mages and our lack of a backup plan for their deaths has doomed everyone?"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I look forward to new POVs from lys, qohor, and asshai.

Next book will include new POV characters from the Children of the Forest, a White Walker, and one of Dany's dragons reflecting on their freedom and eating all those tasty things that aren't mommy but look kinda like her.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

At this rate GRRM will have written not even 6 ASOIAF books in the time it took for Jordan (and Sandersen) to write the Wheel of Time. It'll probably take him longer to write book 7 than it tooFeist to write the Riftwar Cycle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jaime and Bronn, buddy cops going to Dorne sounds fine, but a literal brawl involving sand snakes and areo hotah and trystane for some reason is pretty weird.

The only downside is that Bronn's off with Jaimie instead of playing his miniature game of thrones. I want to see Lord Bronn FuckDaNobles seizing some power.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Trivia posted:

The fact that you're posting that demonstrates your denial.

Hope springs eternal.

And unless that article just came out whatever they're talking about is wrong:

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/2813...k-publisher.htm

quote:

"Game of Thrones" fans will have to wait a longer time for the release of the sixth installment of George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series, "Winds of Winter." Rumors about the book being released next year have been circulating recently but UK publisher Jane Johnson finally put an end to all speculations by saying that a 2015 release is impossible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ Shame that he's such a zealot. He'll probably be poised to drive off Bolton's attack but (WoW stuff) instead of beheading Theon at the weirwood tree he'll insist on burning him and the clans will abandon him because he disrespects the(ir) old gods and then Stannis will get taken to Bolten, executed, and his blood/skin used to pen the letter to Jon or something.

Junkenstein posted:

In case you're not aware, the publisher said "gently caress you grrm, we're not waiting any longer" and literally released the book without the climax (to the North stories, anyway).

I'm hoping the Publisher or HBO has a hard set date where GRRMhas to have WoW's stuff written, otherwise the rights to finish the story can be assigned to someone else.

Though knowing out luck we'd end up with Rothfuss being asked to finish ASOIAF and Winds of Winter would be 800 pages of Bran learning how to use his abilities with the occasional warging to try and find his family members.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

The chapter headings got to me as well.

Other than the Renfaire prose, the archaic flavourings, lovely editing, laundry lists of heraldry and foodstuffs, the nonsensical repetition of catch phrases and overall bloat I thought the writing was just super.

I like the chapter headings for Arya, but it should've stayed her thing because with everyone else it's pretty dumb. Especially Barristan.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2014 around 20:43

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

At this point I'd rather have him cranking out more books for the Stormlight Archives than dealing with Martin's War of the Roses remix.

Blind Sally posted:

Nah, the "complete series" part. Referencing either the fact that there won't be anything else after the next season cause there's nothing left to write, or confirmation that GRRM isn't going to produce any more books, so HBO will be where you get to see the complete ASoIaF series.

Well he did tell the producers how it ends, so "I finished ADWD and decided to milk a bunch of suckers" would still be viable.

Alternately, he was smart enough to have the contract prohibit HBO from getting ahead of the books and so they know to just give up. Or Tyrion is supposed to die early in the WoW and they're going to end the season with that and call it quits since it'll alienate a lot of their audience.

bakker has his own book(s) to finish dammit

Who is this guy? Haven't heard of him and I'm looking for a new series to read since I grabbed the Cycle of Arawn on a whim for $3 not long ago and finished it recently.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kcroy posted:

hey I didn't realize 2nd stormlight book is out.. something to read this holiday!

Be aware that if you jump into Bakker that:

1) lots of confusing names and places that initially have very little context
2) took me a while to get into it.. lots of prose, and it initially tracks 3-4 characters, some of whom don't get talked about for a long time. ( sort of like grrm that way I guess )

I'm a bit wary of it now. I started on the first Malazan book and then came across how it's all over the place and so the next book might cover earlier periods and such. I might just have to skip this if it's the same way as I'm not too big on the whole "well the second (or third) time you read the series it all makes much more sense" kind of setup.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Star Platinum posted:

I saw some vague rumor about a potential GoT movie a while ago, making one about Bob's rebellion would be neat

The only movie rumor I've heard was the idea of them doing a movie for the series finale, which just sounds like an utterly shameless attempt at a box office cash grab. I can't see it working out too well either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kcroy posted:

i hear you. it isn't different time frames or whatever, I just felt like they introduced this really interesting character, then jumped into the next one ( which I found boring for a long rear end time ) . personally, I think the pay off is worth it. but YMMV.

Have you read Abercromine's first law trilogy?

Yep, went through First Law and it was decent even if the ending and the First Magi's bullshit was really heavily telegraphed, but didn't read any of his standalone stuff that happens some time after it.

Only 250 words per day? Goddamn that's insanity and I hope HBO passes him by so when the book comes out few people give a poo poo, though he'll just use poor sales as an excuse to officially quit writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ape Gone Insane posted:

I want to believe this is GRRM teasing an announcement for The Winds of Winter release date.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/st...710215842742272

Verified account and all. His 12 days of Christmas ends on the 21st, which just happens to be the first day of Winter.

On the twelfth day of Christmas George Martin gave to me...

12 Unsullied Spearmen
11 Petyrs Pillaging
10 Wights Walking
9 Braavos Bankers
8 Arya Murders
7 Kingsguard Protectors
6 Frey Wives
5 Golden Hands
4 Dead Starks
3 Live Dragons
2 Greyjoy Balls
and an Absolute Fucker in a Pear-shaped Man

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Well, most swords in his world would have had crossguards already, so it can't be that.

A black Stormtrooper Kingsguard, perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh my god, he has such lovely taste in movies. How did a guy who thinks Forbidden Planet to be the apex of scifi storytelling manage to write three astoundingly good novels?

Other than Storm of Swords what are the other two novels?

«11 »