Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trabandiumium posted:

why would you read storm of swords without liking the other 2

The first two books aren't bad but neither are astoundingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's a movie starring Seth Rogen. Of course The Interview is terrible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

p.crestmont posted:

Tyrion's head is on Shae's body and I can't unsee it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the heads on the wrong bodies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I want the GOT series to end as a movie because there's no way it won't be a trainwreck trying to finish up everything in 2 hours in a way that makes sense to anyone who didn't watch the entire series and the last season shortly before seeing the movie.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

I mean I don't even know how Brandon Sanderson's going to pull his cosmic series together, and that man is literally a writing machine (although his giant novels have the problem of the protagonist being depressed for 2/3 of the novel and not doing much of anything).

I'm kinda dreading the next Stormlight book because it's pretty much a given that Kaladin will return home to try and save the people there and go in to a massive emo fit when he finds his parents are dead or were driven away by the lighteyed rear end in a top hat or some other Bad Thing, like his childhood friend having had the old guy's kids or she became a massive shitlord herself. There's just no way he goes there and it doesn't drop him in to another emotional black hole.

But on the upside, it's going to actually get written and that's more than can be said about ASOIAF or the Kingkiller storyline, which will just be another several hundred pages of Kvothe Potter at Wizard School and a few dozen pages of story (and pining over Denna).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I kinda wish he'd done the 5 year leap just because we could've skipped dumb poo poo like Dany sitting around in Slaver's Bay. Though if it means we eventually get a season on HBO focused on Bran the Wild Boy King of the North, that's ok too I guess.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think the closest I've seen in to a situation like this is the first Full Metal Alchemist series. The producers know going into it that they were adapting a manga that was only half finished and wouldn't be done any time soon, so when they got the point where there was no more story, they just said gently caress it and made up their own ending and never looked back.

The key difference between that and this was that Hiromu Arakawa kept writing and eventually finished the story, which was then adapted into yet another anime. GRRM is a) probably not going to finish his story, and b) no one in their right mind is going to take a crack at adapting his ending when they have the show's ending to satisfy them.

The ending to the first FMA anime was dumb as hell though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can believe that claim because he's pretty full of himself given the whole "American Tolkien"(:lol:) label he's gotten from other people all because he wrote a series that's heavily based on an existing source.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Robin Hobb?

I still haven't gotten around to reading her stuff, so IDK.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Apparently Kit Harrington had a clause in his contract with HBO that he had to keep his hair long and lovely looking as long as he was playing Jon Snow, but he recently got a haircut and so people are freaking out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

A redditor took a trip to a library that had the original manuscript of ADWD and it has some remarks from the editor and GRRM. The editor specifically asks about Coldhands and GRRM answers, so this is as close to wrapping up the who is Coldhands question as we can get unless GRRM changed his mind later. There is some neat stuff in the pictures.

The Coldhands = Benjen idea has always been dumb as hell though because it's mentioned at one point that Coldhands had been that way for a long time and at most Benjen's been missing a year or two when Bran meets him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I hope someone gets in to the room the transcript's stored, pohotgraphs every loving page, and posts it online because the man's going beyond Absolute Fucker. He's going to ascend to Absolute Fucker 2.

kcroy posted:

It wasn't dumb when you first read the books, and assume there is actual loving closure to plot arcs. You are looking for a missing Night's Watch Guy... you find a mystical Night's Watch Guy... Not crazy to assume they are related. Instead of "oh yeah, Benjen.. uhm dont worry about him. Or Rickon. Or Nymaria. Look, I got a loving Con to go to, quit bugging me"

There is nothing about GRRM's writing style that should even suggest closure for things. One of the few things he has going (that he;ll probably gently caress up) is the whole "not everything happens for a reason :dealwithit:" unresolved things. Benjen goes missing doing a dangerous thing that gets a lot of people killed when they do it. Maybe he will do some "it's all connected" thing but the books have gotten bad enough without him having to go and actively make it worse by throwing in tropes he's avoided to some degree.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

I dont understand why Benjen is such a big deal. Dude was a ranger, went into the forest, got dead, is gone forever. Thats it. Get over it.

This is pretty much my line of thought. So he was a Stark, big loving deal. If anything being a Stark is more of a reason to just treat him as dead and gone forever. He was a ranger and rangers die all the time, even ones who are good at what they do.

At most he served as a plot mechanic to get Jon to join the Night's Watch.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hunky Joe posted:

I only assume this since we never hear mention of Tywin talking about it. And we haven't seen any repercussions given to the Westerlings. Maybe the Lannisters just ignored it and swept it under the rug as "well you did good but you kind of betrayed us so no hand outs for you douchebags."

They also have literally nothing. The Lannisters would strip away whatever they had and Robb's dead so they're basically outlaws and given that they were idiot nobles, they're as good as hosed and will probably be killed by some random bandits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So what do people think is going to be Tyrion's ultimate outcome in the books? I've been thinking about this lately, and I can't tell if Tyrion is going to get set up with a redemption starting with the Second Sons or if he's going to die while playing advisor to Danearys. I really can'tsee him getting back all the way to King's Landing to take vengeance on Cersei, I have a feeling Cersei's done for when Aegon shows up.

I hope he goes before Dany and she just has him killed offhand. "Oh you're that midget son of the rear end in a top hat who betrayed my father and whose brother murdered my father? Feed him to the dragons." It'd be worth it just so his goddamn cult of fans would lose their poo poo. No great showdown or anything. Just killed off like a chump because his luck ran out. Everyone wants him to be the Valonquar and kill Cersei but that's going to be Jaime if she's gonna get killed off by family.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rosscifer posted:

It just show him on the dais. I was shocked he wasn't invited up there in the books. All that needs to happen is for Barristan to say "hey that's Tyrion" when Tyrion almost becomes lion food in the pit.

Why would Barristan want to do anything to save a Lannister? His king was betrayed by their family and he was forced out of the Kingsguard by Cersei. That's assuming he can even recognize Tyrion from where he was at. Or that Dany's immediate reaction wouldn't be something along the lines of "oh someone from the House that betrayed and murdered my father? I changed my mind, let the lions eat them."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I could see him having some clause with HBO stating that they aren't allowed to say how the books were going to end and have to do their own ending and only ever speak of it and not his 'true' ending that you only get to see by collecting all the Absolute Fucker and Mummery tokens hidden throughout the waiting game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I would laugh soooooooo hard if he forced the HBO show into a hiatus.

You're joking right? Why do you think the show's creators were told the ending for the books? Even GURM knew they'd get to TWOW before he does*. Besides HBO would have the fans on their side in any dispute where GURM says to stop the show and HBO tells him to go get hosed and die of shitdick. Once HBO started the show the only way it was going to end is if HBO pulled the plug. At this rate HBO will probably finish ASOIAF and exploit a loophole in the contract to allow them to keep making more seasons. Since they've started diverting from the book so much it's not like their writers won't have experience making things up.

Plus if they need some good writing talent to keep it all going then HBO could go for the gently caress You GURM hattrick of hiring Brandon Sanderson to write more plot and story for HBO's A Game of Thrones. Then in Season 8 as ASOIAF winds down HBO announces that the lead character of Season 9, Hoid, has been cast. :getin:

*alternately: GURM decided he doesn't want to write books and signed up with HBO fully intending to have them write the last two books for him, while paying him shitloads of money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Once I finish with Mistborn (probably 1/3 to 1/5 through Hero of Ages atm) wouldit be better to start on Hobbs (and which series) or another Sandersen line? I've already read the two Stormlight Archives books.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Hobbs. Then Le Guin. Women fantasy authors supremacy.

I was going to grab Alloy of Law but people keep saying Hobbs so I think Farseer it will be.

kaworu posted:

what happened to the people Robb sent into the Neck with his will that Jon be legitimized and succeed him..

Weren't these guys caught out by the Ironborn? I could've sworn that their fate is mentioned in passing.

Though the simple answer is: GRRM always intended to leave things unresolved because well Tolkien never mentioned in detail what happened with all the orcs, trolls, and so forth after the ring's destroyed. Or he just wants to have people wanting more that they will never get, so they are hooked and discuss the story long after he's consumed by shitdick.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

As awful as that all sounds at least it has an ending.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's GURM so I imagine they're both supposed to still be well underage for when the sex scene(s) happens.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The American Tolkien.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tyrion's plot armor was so goddamn think at times it should've crushed him to death. Arya too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tyrion's entire survival in the Vale and how he just up and recruits all the bandits/wildmen/whatever was pretty absurd, though Pod being able to stick by him on the Blackwater was dumb as hell and yes he should've died there. Same with getting whisked out of the arena seconds away from being lion chow and so forth.

computer parts posted:

The only time he was in legitimate danger was before we knew he was Ramsay.

I mean yeah it seems like Roose would finally just go kill him but kinslaying is seen as pretty important still.

Roose only has Ramsay as an heir for now, so that's probably no small part in it. If he can live long enough to get a son via the Frey he married I imagine the assassination attempts on Ramsay and vice versa will come quickly.

Maybe GURM's ending is going to be Ramsay atop the iron skull throne as the third Targaryen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah people were freaking out over it sometime last month. I hope Jon Snow's dead and that GRRM comes out and says "guess his parentage doesn't matter now, does it you suckers?"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OhYeah posted:

My friend just gave me The First Law trilogy boxset as a gift. I haven't read much fantasy since high school, other than Tolkien and Gurm. Generally I undertand that Abercrombie is considered a good author?

You'll probably have the ending and the twists figured out by the end of the first book but it's an otherwise good trilogy. I never bothered with the standalone(?) stuff after it though. I wouldn't call First Law great but it was good enough. If the trilogy were to get a subtitle it'd probably be First Law: Everyone is an rear end in a top hat and those who aren't are dead by the end."

Just finished Alloy of Law and people weren't kidding that it's short. On to Farseer now and god knows what else while we wait for GURM to die and his executor to ignore his wishes by handing off the series to be finished by someone else/competent.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SaviourX posted:

It felt like Jon was still getting the typical fantasy/animu treatment of 'can't do anything wrong, every choice serves to show how he's predestined to be awesome' sort of bullshit. Still feels like it, actually.

I'm not sure you're reading the same series as the rest of us. Jon's pretty consistently showing himself to be an idiot and a short tempted brat. He gets pissed because he's told a rider is coming from Winterfell and he assumes it's Arya and when it isn't he throws a fit about being mislead, is told he injected Arya in to it himself as wishful thinking, and then instead of realizing he's being told things that are true, ignores them and gets what he deserved.

Just like how Targaryeans tend to be crazy due to inbreeding, I think excess exposure to the cold causes Stark men to suffer brain damage.

Or that GRRM defies convention in any way when writing. Robb wasn't the destined hero to right the wrongs, he was hubris.txt wrapped in some furs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Boy are you guys going to feel silly when it turns out that Robert Strong is actually Geoffrey.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

At this point the best thing to happen wpuld be for him to no longer be able to write the books, and his executor up and decides :gently caress it I want money, I'm going to have someone finish it."

Then they pass it to Patrick Rothfuss and we get a 900 page novel about Sam going to school in Oldtown. :suicide:

kcroy posted:

Yes Definitely meant Loras, thanks. In the books, his gay-ness is implied.. we don't have the obvious scenes we get in the TV series. So while he might have had a sexual relationship with Renly, I don't think we can say exactly what is up with his sexual identity. When I was reading uh.. maybe the part about the Blue Harper guy they torture? I thought there was some insinuation she spent too much time alone with Loras or something.

Pretty sure their closeness was more her covering for him being gay and not them screwing in private.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hunky Joe posted:

Should they change the credit where it says "based on the novels by GRRM" soon and just put "gently caress you, this is HBO's poo poo now"?

"Originally/Loosely based on the incomplete series A Song of Ice and Fire."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's pretty hilarious to that Sanderson's likely to finish the entirety of the Stormlight Archives before GURM finishes ASOIAF.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

The show has already killed off a character still alive in the books, like, uh.. fan favorite Jojen Reed.

I guess this means Bronn's gonna die, because I don't really see him playing a huge role even in the books and he's hoping around with Jaime. Thats lame.

I'm pretty sure Jojen died in the books, but it was off-screen.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Steven Erikson is the fantasy author I always bring up when dropping a deuce on GRRM. The guy wrote ten (10!!!) books in twelve years, and five of those books were between the release of AffC and ADwD. Each of the books is as long and as complex as the ASoIaF books, and there is no drop in quality between them (if you like his writing, then you like all ten of the books). And despite telling a long-rear end story, each of the books had it's own plot with its own climax and conclusions. Even more funny, is that Erikson is still writing new stuff. Remember that big world building book they just released for GRRM's books? Remember how cool all those little blurbs were, but how there is no chance the fucker will ever write about those strange far away lands? Erikson is doing that. He is following up on all those neat world-building threads from his books, and is writing entirely new stories set in the same vibrant world. It's loving cool.

Pretty sure Raymond Fiest's time to write the entire Riftwar series will be shorter than the time GURM takes for ASOIAF. Riftwar books are shorter (and have some issues, namely most things related to the Dread and Valheru) but the original trilogy and most of Serpentwar as just as good as ASOIAF, and rarely is it as bad as AFFC. I found myself more interested in the political stuff in the later riftwar books than the magic stuff with Pug and the other Mary Sues. I'd be all for him going back and writing a book about the Upright Man coming to power and the formation of the Mockers.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen is nowhere near the quality of the first three ASOIAF books though, to be fair.

That's the series where the books are written out of chronological order and so book 3 might happen before book 2 did but through different POVs and such right? I remember tossing the first book aside and reading the Cycle of Arawn since it was $0.99 on iTunes, and then read some Demonsouled books, which were kinda interesting in the premise but samey, then finally got around to Mistborn and now Farseer. The worst part about Mistborn is that when I moved on to Alloy of Law I thought that the page count in my iPad was an error, then realized that no, it really was about 1/3 the length of the other Sanderson books I read but still cost a similar amount. :mad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robert isn't a villain in the conflict unless you are high.

He is a prick but nothing he does involving the War itself is really wrong.

Ned's a lesser villain though, as there's too much poo poo that points to him knowing his sister doesn't care about Robert like he does for her, and when the war ended he could've taken the throne but didn't and left his now emotionally wrecked friend on the seat so he could gently caress off back to Nebraskaros.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Didn't the earliest descriptions of the throne in the books still mention it being forged from all the swords of the defeated? Unless he only took swords from nobles you'd have a pretty massive pile of metal on your hands.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

otoh there's no other real chance in your lifetime to sit on the thing without being in serious trouble, why not do it?

Edit: I don't think the Stark name is done, I think Sansa either outsmarts or just outright joins in with Littlefinger and his gently caress EVERYBODY agenda and runs the table politically down the road. Or she'll trip and fall down, skin her knee, and die of an infection.

Sansa's fate is going to probably be determined by what she does when Littlefinger tries to have sex with, if not outright rape, her. Even HBO's just going pretty heavily in with "Sansa is Cat 2.0" as some of the more recent promo shots of those two have her dressed up very similar to Cat and I really doubt it's just a coincidence when Littlefinger's involved. Maybe Rickon will come back but considering where he's apparently being hidden I imagine he won't exactly be a polite gentleman.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Jon is going to Dragon Warg permanently and punish the 7 kingdoms with his angst lol

Please tell me "Dragon under Winterfell" is a wacky theory that isn't actually supported all that well. All I know is that it's unusually warm beneath them and goddammit please dont.

I think Winterfell's been established as being located where it is because it's right on top of hot springs, and Witnerfell itself predates Aegon the Conqueror so claiming it's heated due to a sleeping dragon would be such a blatant retcon for no goddamn reason.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kcroy posted:

I personally only liked the first one, and gave up halfway through the third one. I guess I'll re-read em at some point for background on blackfyre or whatever.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but some cool insight: http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2xhbd9/spoilers_all_i_know_whats_in_lyannas_crypt_and/

I stopped reading halfway through .. I've never shied away from reveals before, but something about this rings true, and I guess I still am holding out some hope I'll get to read the fatman's reveal.

Seriously there is something wrong with me. How can any ember of hope still burn under this pile of frozen shite?

Among other flaws with that theory is that they don't seem to know why the Others are suddenly active, when we have someone (Mance or one of the other Wildlings) mention how the Others were roused due to Mance going in to crypts and other places to try and find the horn so he could use it to break through the Wall. It's portrayed as a very blunt "men went in to places they shouldn't have any awoke Ancient Evil" message.

Also for fucks sake the person even says

quote:

Rhaegar thought he was prophesied to be the Prince who was Promised. Then he thought he was prophesied to father the Prince who was Promised. Before he died Aemon thought the Prince is actually Daenerys and they were looking for a figure of the wrong gender.

I don't think this person has actually read the books, he's inserting a lot of completely off the wall poo poo in here. Where does Rhaegar claim himself to be the promised one? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Iggles posted:

It's implied in the story barristan tells dany about Rhaegar reading reading reading and then one day realising that he needs to learn how to fight

That seems to be stretching things. He's a prince and all noblemen are taught to fight in Westeros so realizing he has to learn to fight is because of the prophecy is about as likely as him realizing he has to learn to fight because the Great House were moving to overthrow his insane dad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rosscifer posted:

Seriously, Jacob's whole hour of Littlefinger stuff seems to come from some bizarre conviction that LF is trying to swindle the Iron Bank and the gods. LF is obviously just working for the Iron Bank.

Littlefinger works for Littlefinger. He used the Iron Bank's money to make himself look competent and amass a bunch of power and leave the crown to deal with the ramifications and pay up while he keeps what he amassed without risk. Just like GRRM based The Wall off of a real location, he based Littlefinger off of Wall Street execs.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=154608

PROBATION 12/17/13 05:13pm A GLISTENING HODOR As per your Toxx & your lovely posting, you are hereby probated until March 15th, 2015. PM a moderator at that time to have it removed. User loses posting privileges for 100,000 hours. Downtown Abey toby

ahahaha holy gently caress his sheet is a goldmine, brojo, eggplant wizard, loosechanj, abey and of course aatrek

What did he do/say for that probation?

Tahirovic posted:

Until he opened a subreddit r/preschool

I really want to refuse to believe this but I'm too scared to check Reddit and find out it exists and has 100,000+ members.

:asoiaf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

The one that's got me the most intrigued is Brienne and Pod in the snow. You think the show would throw us a giant gently caress off curve ball and just send them to The Wall instead of "I'm looking for a maiden of 4-and-shut uuuuuuuuup :byodood:"?

No more of a curveball than the idea that Sansa just went to winterfell with the Knights of the Vale while Stannis is still alive and the Boltons are setup there.

Hunky Joe posted:

Duh. Dorne is a HOT place where HBO will get a chance to flaunt gratuitous amounts of nudity and that equals big bucks and ratings.

Can't wait for the part where Doran is watching the fountains turn into a soft core sapphic erotica scene.

I didn't realize HBO hired Aatrek to write an episode.