Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

whowhatwhere posted:

I don't think it's a twist so much as a natural ending point. I don't know the full details of what Jon gets up to in aDwD but I hear he's semi-competent and trying to remain a Man of the Night's Watch and then it turns out he's failed horribly because for whatever reason he's lost the faith of a significant portion of his men. The dying isn't the ending point, it's the fact that he'd failed.

I've spoiled myself pretty significantly and the reason he dies is pretty loving depressing. Jon's spent the entire story giving up what he wants/loves for the Night's Watch and the decision that gets him killed is planning to send a force to rescue Arya from the Boltons. Which isn't even really her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
AFFC gets a lot better when you know that Martin is going to manage to write at least one more book and you've made your peace with it just being a bunch of B-plotlines stapled together

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Short Review: The North stuff is real good. The Daenary's stuff is real bad. Quentyn is lol.

edit: Daenary's is so dull that formerly interesting characters become incredibly tedious as they get closer to her. She's a literary blackhole. I also can't believe that 11 years and 2 books after Tyrion set sail from Westeros toward Daenarys, he still hasn't gotten to her. Instead we got him and his pig jousting adventures for around 400 pages.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 12, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Lawlicaust posted:

3. Based on the visions in the flames and Jon's "death" is he AA reborn?

Yes. AA will be reborn "under a bleeding star". The knight who gets killed by the giant right before john gets stabbed had stars as his sign. John was just "killed" under a bleeding star and he's definitely going to be reborn.

Feels like a bit of a cheap cop-out since it seems like so much more of a stretch then it being dany, but I think Martin is trying to be suprising

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

Yes. AA will be reborn "under a bleeding star". The knight who gets killed by the giant right before john gets stabbed had stars as his sign. John was just "killed" under a bleeding star and he's definitely going to be reborn.

Feels like a bit of a cheap cop-out since it seems like so much more of a stretch then it being dany, but I think Martin is trying to be suprising

I just read on westeros that the knight who dies was put in the book as a result of a football bet (Ser Patrek from pat5150 on the westeros boards) and the knights sign was a reference to the bet.

If this really is the lead-up to Jon/Azor Ahai's rebirth, then he's going to be reborn under a bleeding Dallas Cowboy's logo. Which would rule.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 13, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Aurubin posted:

Hahaha I feel really bad that the most emotion I felt for Quentyn Martell was to laugh at how absurdly stupidly he died.

I'm pretty sure this is everyone's reaction.

All those Dornish chapters, that pretty cool speech by the Prince at the end of Feast, all buildup to Quentyn dying like a chump.

edit: Quentyn dying is "The Sun Rising in the West and Setting In the East"

NihilCredo posted:

^^^^ I used to loathe Melisandre, after her POV chapter I think she's utterly awesome. A little plot dumb ("I ask for Azor Ahai and I get Jon Snow", geez, WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN?), but ten times more interesting than before. I hope Moqorro gets a POV chapter too.

New POVs is the absolute last thing I want

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 13, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Ray_ posted:

Dear lord it'd be the funniest thing if Dany were pregnant. But who's the father?!? Tune in next week on Maester Phil!

I don't think she's pregnant yet, but she's described as having an abnormal period in her last chapter which probably says something about her fertility.

Also: the sea of grass is described as dying = "When the seas dry up"

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Aurubin posted:

Victarion's chapters felt kinda shoehorned in. Not a lot of meat in his parts of the book.

I actually liked Victarion's chapters but they needed more more of a conclusion and they needed to be in Feast. Jaime, Cersei, and Arya have the same problem. Their chapters should have been Feast.

I feel like if you were to meld the two books into one, cut a huge amount of the bullshit, and stick in some of the first chapters from Winds of Winter, we would have a SoS caliber book. These last two books have been an absolute pain in the rear end with the way the seem to cutoff mid plot and the eternal wait between books manages to kill all tension from the stupid cliffhangers.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 13, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Kainser posted:

Daenerys is a 14-year (maybe 15 now?) old girl in ~irrational love~. Her actions that doesn't involve Daario are usually fairly reasonable considering her age.

e; You can draw parallels between her and Robb really.

She's 16 in ADWD.

edit: she was born in 284. Joff's wedding was on the new year of 300. we're probably getting close to 301 by the end of adwd

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 15, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I missed that, what was the hint?

It's mainly his demeanor about the pies combined with the fact that that he requests The Rat Cook to be played.

The Rat Cook is about a guy who killed a prince and served him to his farther.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Master Kush posted:

So let me get this strait. George made a football bet and lost so he had to write in a pats fan. The pats fan, Ser "Pat"rek, was the guy who got the poo poo beat out of him by the giant (his favorite team). Good one George!

Pat is the name of the guy he lost the bet to (pat5150 on the westeros.org boards). Pat's team is the Dallas Cowboys. Ser Patrek's sigil is a blue star, the symbol of the Dallas Cowboys

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 17, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
I like to believe that Victarion picked 7 girls for his sacrifice so he had a chance of appeasing 3 pantheons at once.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Brannock posted:

Something about Davos's character has always rubbed me kind of weird. How does a smuggler become this principled, and principled enough to just accept Stannis chopping off his fingers and love him for it?

Becoming a knight just seems like a rather paltry reward for inspiring this much loyalty.

I think his reflections on his sons were what sold it to me. His pride that his sons were captains of ships, a squire to a king, that they were learning to read. Davos was no one until Stannis made him something. Look at how lovely the commoners have it and think how much it means to Davos that not only was he and his family raised above it, but that the King would listen to his advice and respect him.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
I'm reading Dreamsong's right now and in Martin's first little introduction he drops "I was much better at starting stories then finishing them"

I laughed and laughed

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
The best is that he doesn't just bake them into pies and serve them. He eats the pie himself, has seconds and thirds, and just has a good old time committing cannibalism.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 18, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Neurosis posted:

I'd like to know the story about how Bloodraven ended up as a greenseer. I'd also like to know more about his magic generally. Do we have any information on how this might have happened, or anything about the sort of powers he had generally? All I have is rumour that the arrow he used to kill Daemon Blackfyre was ensorcelled, and that is from Eustace Osgrey, who was a senile old coot.

Based on The Mystery Knight, he was a warg and a facechanger.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Sexpansion posted:

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that this really is 100% based on the model of the historical tragedy and that none of the main characters are getting out in one piece. If the end of the series is a Hamlet style bloodbath I would not be at all shocked.

The very last chapter is gonna be Rickon showing his children around the crypts and pointing out all his brothers and sisters.

I've been convinced for awhile that Rickon's point in the story is his very insignificance. No one else is coming back, as he himself says, they're all gonna die or be turned into trees.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Adama posted:

2) Do Kevan and the rest of the council suspect that Robert Strong is really a living Clegane?

Based on Kevan's thoughts, they pretty clearly know that it is/was Gregor and that he doesn't eat, sleep, or poo poo anymore.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Lyon posted:

Does someone have a link to all the gods that are mentioned and the theories surrounding them?

There's the fire god, the seven, the old northern gods, the drowned god, the other, etc. I got the impression that Melisandre was saying Bran served the other and was the enemy or something but it's been so long since I've read all these books I kind of forget.

It seems like the seven have no power, clearly R'hller and the old gods have some sort of actual magic to them etc.

I'm fairly certain none of the gods are real. I think R'hller and the like are just personifications of magical forces, they don't actually exist as beings.

You kinda see this with the old gods. The old gods aren't real or, at least, aren't gods. The power beyond the trees and the like seem to be wargs not gods.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Master Kush posted:

Actually that is something I am worried about as I love the T.V series. But didn't it cost like 100 million for the first season?

55 million.

DVD and foreign sale potential seems to be huge and that strikes me as the saving grace/hope. Supposedly HBO recouped all the costs for the first season with sales to foreign channels alone.

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 25, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I'm the first to defend his world building and that history was still awesome and interesting, but that one got pretty ridiculous. Not sure why that chapter was in the books at all, it might have served as the opening Jaime chapter in AWOW but seemed like an completely useless addition here.

The point was to flesh out Bloodraven's history, but it was still unnecessary. I seriously wonder what percent of readers know who the gently caress Bloodraven is besides some guy from history that gets mentioned and what percentage of those connect it with the history lesson from that chapter.

edit: the most relevant information was that Bloodraven's family has a history of warging and you could probably guess something along those lines from the fact that hes currently a tree

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 25, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

NihilCredo posted:

I posit that if GRRM were the kind of writer that cuts something because it would fly over the head of X% of his readers, none of us would still give a poo poo about his saga.

The info dumps in earlier books were handled better. Rarely did we get a chapter where it was just a character sitting down and going into monologue about the past. On the occasion where this did happen, like the Rid Viper's speech about his sister and the Lannisters, we had an established reason to care.

Bloodraven is a figure from the past. If you didn't read The Mystery Knight, you have a good chance of not knowing who he is or just filing him away with all the other random dudes from history that are flavor rather then of story importance. Given how little he's mentioned (2 total times in ADWD), it's easy to miss that he's the dude in the tree. Given that he's refered to as Bloodraven usually, Bryden Rivers sometimes, and Blackwood never, you have a good chance of also missing that the Blackwood deal is about him.

Readers were given a slim and easily miss-able reason to care about the history lesson, hence why it came off as a boring chapter about nothing. Details and backstory are fine and have been handled well in the past, but they were handled ungracefully in ADWD. Not to mention the fatigue that comes from being 5000 pages into this story, having a huge goddamn set of loose ends and details everywhere, and suddenly being expected to care about another historical event with another set of players. If the Blackfyre rebellion had been a bigger deal from the start of the series, maybe I could have mustered the energy to care about the chapter but it and all it's loose ends feel like a series of ideas that Martin came up with after SoS instead of an organic part of the series (seriously, was Blackfyre, Bittersteel, Bloodraven, or the Golden Company mentioned at all before AFFC?).

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 25, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

FMguru posted:

As much as people complain about not much happening in ADWD, could you imagine how the book would have been received if it didn't have those chapters?

I would rather have some closure on Mereen or some of the other plotlines then have Jaime, Cersei, and the crew pop up for a couple chapters, resolve their lame cliffhangers, only to immediately plunge back into another one.

It's hard to muster excitment for things like Cersei's trial when it's spread across 3 books. Rob went from a kid to a king to dead in the same number of books it's taking for Cersei's trial to resolve itself.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Doibhilin posted:

Also, does anyone know whether GRRM has a sister? If so, she has likely experienced the emotion "CREEPED OUT" more than anyone else on this planet.

2 sisters...

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Jakabite posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the word was? I've heard 'sword', but what's the reasoning behind this?

She was offered the noose or the sword (aka kill jaime). She chooses the noose. Then when they're hanging Podrick as well, she yells at a single word and appears in ADWD to lead jaime into a trap.

edit: i really shouldnt open the response page, go away, then finally answer the question 15 minutes later. it's just asking for efb

SmugDogMillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 3, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Zombie Gregor is going to murder all the Tyrells

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

YES bread posted:

The only thing Aegon could do to make me enjoy his arc is get infected with greyscale by Connington.

Aegon gets to be the mummer's dragon AND the stone dragon.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

oogyboogs posted:

^ Yeah, he doesn't say his name but it's gotta be Jon.
---

In the chapter "A ghost of winterfell," Theon sees this hooded guy:

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put a hand on his dagger. “Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer.”

“I’m not. I never … I was ironborn.”

“False is all you were. How is it you still breathe?”

“The gods are not done with me,” Theon answered, wondering if this could be the killer, the night walker who had stuffed Yellow Dick’s cock into his mouth and pushed Roger Ryswell’s groom off the battlements. Oddly, he was not afraid. He pulled the glove from his left hand. “Lord Ramsay is not done with me.”

The man looked, and laughed. “I leave you to him, then.”

Who is this guy supposed to be?

It's Theon. He's having a psychotic break and talking to his reflection in one of the shattered panes of glass from the greenhouse.

He also killed Little Walder.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Chainsawdomy posted:

Also, I'm not sure how much there is to bear it out, but I love the idea of Theon snapping into a disassociative state and fuge-murdering people.

In one of Theon's chapters, Theon starts walking and breakfast is being served. When he arrives a paragraph later with no mention of time passing, lunch is being served.

Theon is experiencing missing time.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Way back when I read CoK in highschool, I interpreted Dany's vision of Rhaegar calling Aegon The Prince That Was Promised as meaning that Aegon really was the PTWP and that the reason why things were so endlessly lovely was that the prophesied hero had his head smashed against a wall as a baby.

I kinda wish my idea had turned out to be true.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Jon's decision is perfectly understandable. His internal thoughts about going south aren't about the watch or protecting them, it's about arya. The dudes been watching his family die from afar for 5 books now. Now he's given a chance to save the sister he thought was dead, the one he was closest to, the last as far as he knows. This time it isn't happening thousands of miles away or before he knows about it, and there aren't armies and other forces that can intervene anymore. With Stannis "dead", he's the only person left who can do anything. The guy just reached his limit.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Vary's kills Kevan and Pycelle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Mr.Brinks posted:

Arthur Dayne is the greatest swordsman to ever live la la la and only "died" because Howland stole his body through warging

fixed