Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I finally got 'round to reading ADWD!

Main predictions: Melisandre resurrects Jon Snow. Arya goes deaf. Jaime gets hanged by Brienne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What did Jon do that's so bad? I'm new to this thread. Why is Stannis so popular? He's dumb. Seriously though, when you first read a Robert scene, he's so awesome and fun. Only later do you realise that he's just a charismatic, selfish brute.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

How can you be new to this thread with a giant 'WILD CARDS' gang tag :psyduck:

You must be a false Wild Card. The Mannis will deliver the false to justice.

I'm from before the TV show, peasant. I'm from one of the old, bad threads.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

jsoh posted:

Jon swore an oath to keep out of the politics of the realm and then consistently helped Stannis, the extreme underdog in the fight for the Iron Throne, putting his mission to defend the entirety of the world from living death and eternal winter in jeopardy, and then actually announced his intentions to directly attack the rightful(ish) Warden of the North and thus the entire Seven Kingdoms.

Jon helped Stannis, the only person who gave a flying gently caress about him. If he were to deliver Stannis' head on a plate to Bolton, Bolton would say 'lol no you can't have even a single man' then flay Jon's face off.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Hunky Joe posted:

Tyrion definitely has more plot armor than Bran. Terrible at fighting yet leads a sortie out and absolutely annihilates everyone despite a massive handicap (he's not a D&D dwarf after all) and is only nearly stopped by a backstabber. He then succeeds in escaping certain death after a lengthy trial to escape several other bad situations as if he is a leprechaun instead of a dwarf.

I saw that as the fact that he's a Lannister, centuries of breeding with the best of the best. HIs brother is the best swordsman alive. Sure, he's just a dwarf, but his armour is the best, he's got a great horse, and apart from being crippled, he has great genes!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

I forget, which city does Belwas poo poo at? Are we already past that part in the show? I just want to hold on to hope that they just give that scene to another character, like Daario or Jorah because that's probably the most glaring omission of the entire series if they leave that out.

Mereen. Their champion seems to be some sort of actual knight with a super long lance on a horse.... uhhh or maybe it's the city before mereen. Disregard me.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425018/Game-Of-Thrones-star-Richard-Madden-targetted-angry-women-taking-space-Tube.html

King of the north deserves death. Brought to you by England's finest newspaper.
edit:a friend posted this on facebook along with the 'which character are you' quiz. I got robb stark. He laughed and said he had jon snow. I said: "well, doesn't matter right? they're both <spoiler spoiler spoiler alert> dead!"

His reply: OMG

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 19, 2013

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's mostly about dudes sitting down and spreading their legs really wide, like 'look at my cock!' or 'oh no I can't close my legs because of my dick'. People do this and it's loving annoying. I'm a guy and I try not to do it because it's douchey.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Aurain posted:

Fully agreed.
I usually try to grab a seat above the rear axle when I take the bus because there's usually a bit more leg room, but it comes at the cost of vibrating more which makes me travel sick as hell.

Robb Stark wasn't even taking up that much space anyway, his leg was aligned with the hand rail on the seat.

His bag was taking up a seat. He'd probably have moved it if anyone had asked though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What's up with Stannis' daughter having ( I forgot the name?) grayscale disease? Because everyone else goes on about how fatal and contagious it is, especially in ADWD when John Connington gets it, but she's all 'yeah I'm good, I had it as a kid and am now still a kid/teenager but now I'm A OK"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
So how was Joffrey poisoned? Margaery was drinking out of the same cup until almost the moment he died. Was it the wine?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Dutchfool posted:

I don't think he's losing his "duty driven" character. He knows Melisandre has mystical powers and fiercely beliefs in them. If he is loving her he's doing it to keep her satisfied/happy "for the greater good", aka. him getting his righteous place on the Iron Throne. He believes he needs Melisandre for that to happen, and is willing to go deep..

I get the impression that she used him once, and now he's useless. The shadow baby exhausted his kingly magic power so she doesn't want to bone him any more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Oberst posted:

Is the book out yet? No? Ok, see you guys in 2016

You're too optimistic!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

SaviourX posted:

Lemon cakes best cakes.

Also every time I spoil or reveal something to the gf (who doesn't give a poo poo about show/books) or ask a question like 'where did they get the lemons from', the show loving tells us a minute later. Leave some godamn mystery you cuntsssss.

I have a magical ability that makes my wife and I laugh a lot, and me feel like a loving douche, because I say "Who IS that guy" or "but what about the X" and the very next sentence anyone says in the movie/tv show, is an answer to my question.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

kcroy posted:

Hope this is temporary. Just knowing the old threads were out there made me happy, like having the ashes of your ancestors in your house.

How will anyone know how I got my avatar (seriously: who bought my avatar?)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

CloFan posted:

But Aria sounds a lot more like Harry, sooo....

(Are ya, Yer-On, Air-On, A-Gone, Bre-Anne)

E: Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FGT7NzqDRU

Yer a faceless man, 'Arry!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Also Bay Area... works fine from my Comcast.

I torrent it fine from my comcast in san jose. Comcast: the only option you've got in the bay loving area.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Avoided even water-skiing with sharks?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think he purposefully avoids posting ANYTHING about the new book, because he was burned by saying 'it's almost done' falsely so many times. Sure he deserved it but now he won't post anything.

edit: also, come the gently caress on. its 5 years per book. he has 2 more years.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

InFlames235 posted:

My favorite part was Varys killing fools like god drat. Also Cersei getting hosed over was way overdue. Also Victarion is slowly creeping up the list as one of the best characters. Can't wait to see how they cast him, Euron and Aeron.

They'll skip the Victarion plot. Strong emphasis on Quentyn and darkstar.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It just hit home that really, 100%, there is no way in hell that the books will finish before the series does. I'm betting that next season will already have a nice ender that is taken from one of the 2 climactic battles dropped from ADWD: Winterfell/Mereen battle. They're going to have to drop absolute tons of stuff as well to get everything to fit in. Aren't we totally caught up almost, with the entire Sansa plotline? and Bran only has about 30 more minutes worth of onescreen story, I'd say. They're not going to drop characters until everyone's caught up. They'll just forge ahead with new sansa plot I'll bet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If they ever start talking about Freys mysteriously getting killed in the riverlands we could get started with the Stoneheart hype all over again, but for now we can just assume it was decided that it wasn't worth the screentime.

This is great. I never considered they'd dropped her entirely. I still don't though: she's closely wrapped up in whatever happens to Brienne and Jaime!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Anime is great! posted:

You see a lot of old guys and you see a lot of fat guys, but you don't see a lot of old and fat guys.

Holy poo poo, I never thought of that :O

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I get the feeling that Danaerys will be just fine and will mary sue her way out of this little predicament and go back to her city and win the battle :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe this is like, 'the bad thread 10 years ago' stuff, but is the drowned god Cthulhu?