Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Those blogs are hilariously literal. How can one be smart enough to follow the plot in Essos/Slaver's Bay, yet stupid/illiterate enough to benefit from the series' "Altruism really sucks" theme explained to you quote-by-quote? Thanks for the link, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

kcroy posted:

someone explain to me how an hour went by but nothing seemed to actually happen that I care about.

Because the show will make bank regardless of quality or content.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The thing about historical fiction (and other types of real literature) is that you don't read or watch them for the ending.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
This should've been done once Season 7 started.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which will come out first, the first GoT spin off show or GRRMs next spin off history book? [...]

Wild Cards.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
^^^Wonder how long it'll be before Lowtax gets some letters from Kit's agency^^^

----

I just came to the realization that Meera and Howland will likely never show up in the show again.
Nomad-type characters and cultures are always cool; it's a big part of why Dune is so good.
Kinda sucks that GRRM isn't keen to produce more of the story he wrote...

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 15, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I love how the dothraki are such obvious forgettable cannon fodder they dont even warrant any overly sentimental "we're gonna die tomorrow" scenes

Yeah, I sure would like to hear earnest discussions from "Rhakaro" about how all northern girls in the foreign land are too fat/skinny/whatever to bed with.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Tyrion's current narrative as Hand rhymes with Tyrion's past narrative as Hand.
It's poetic, so that is likely what we're getting.
I have low expectations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Good dunk.
:hfive:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I really wish Emilia and/or the writing team could....elevate...Dany's scenes with Sansa and Jon. Those had the potential to be cool.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mike N Eich posted:

I actually thought the one scene with Dany and Sansa this episode was the first time I was impressed with Emilia Clarke's acting - she really changed her whole demeanor, tried her best to find middle ground and showed some empathy.

It kinda got stupid at the end, but after 6 seasons of Dany being solely an imperious oligarch, it was a nice change of pace.

I don't think she showed enough inner turmoil after "what about the North". Like...the writing is setting up the whole "how am I going to be a just and wise ruler..." vs. "GIMME MY poo poo" thing...which is the core of that character... and I feel Emilia isn't tapping into that enough. They should've written that scene to play out further without an interruption, imo.

Maybe we'll get another intimate moment between the two, though.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Sam should hook up Dany with the Melody Beattie books at the Citadel.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Lmfao sansa noooooo

...after uttering that curse word, it better be fruit juice and soap in that glass...

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
No, just the bounty on every dwarf ever.

The rightful Lord of Casterly Rock is kind-of moot when your Lannister family members occupy the Iron Throne...I guess? There's no real mention of Kevan or anyone else truly managing the affairs of Casterly Rock. GRRM hasn't exactly fleshed-out the legal/political law.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
edit: Just like Egg would've wanted.

---

Oh, right...they killed Doran in the show...Forgot about that.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 23, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

The fact that GRRM is a fan of a perpetually underachieving football team is at the heart of ASOIAF.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think she's going to do something barbaric as a ruler (or in the climax of an important battle) and step down from power due to guilt; at least that's what I thought the books were leading up to with her character.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Dany and Jon being lost in the snow on dragons went on for a little bit too much and I think a lot of the action should've moved towards the halls of Winterfell, not the courtyard.

That said, I really didn't like Jon or Arya's scenes battling/hiding in Winterfell.
:doh:

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 29, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I wish people would understand that you don't have to write surprising stories, just good ones. Jon is the only pick that makes a lick of narrative sense there.

It also makes way more sense for Arya to curate targets on her list...than to be Ninja Warrior and save the Westerosi Shogunate from ice zombies. Having her grow into a disciplined assassin was the whole point of her show-characterisation I thought....

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Shoulda used the dragons as turrets.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think the point of the battle was to empahsize the post-apocalyptic, zombie fest in Winterfell.

When we all pass on to the next life and finally read tWoW, I feel GRRM will describe the actual cavalry charge and retreat we saw on TV tonight in the same way he described the Whispering Wood battle: second-hand.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think it's more like she invested in fracking...well, before the Double Ds decided to shove the fantasy part of the show into the bin tonight.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel relieved that we know what the endgame is...
This whole season has been just OK; I think the inevitable Dany-being-stabbed will be healthily bittersweet...
Looking forward to the last two episodes.

Show thoughts~~~

MoaM fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 6, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

chaosapiant posted:

Right, but even in the books I thought Cersei was carrying out covert baby-killer operations and for now, Gendry is the only known Baratheon.

There's enough minor Baraetheons in the books still alive to have a mini succession war if Gendry ever sits the Throne in The Books Which Won't Be Written.

Another prominent bastard is the chick who leads Sansa through the Eeyrie's elevator thing in AFFC/DwD.

edit: beaten.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It is funny, and also true...

Dorne dead doe. :smith:

Three dragon prophecy is not in show, didn't they replace it with the ash-in-Red-Keep vision six seasons back. I don't remember the show doing the three "love-betrayal" prophecies either...
Could be wrong.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I too believe that D&D are trolling GRRM with the show (not being ironic).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's a bittersweet ending because we want our heroes to wreck poo poo, but at the end of the day "wrecking poo poo" actually involves ruining the lives of smallfolk.
Say what you want about GRRM's prose, but as you read these books you're always conscious of those who aren't in power.

Anyway...

I just want to empahsize that the last three seasons really needed more scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVfClyxJOHA

The dynamics of that scene are why I even re-read these stupid books.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

esperterra posted:

This is never what I've really wanted or expected out of A Song of Ice and Fire fwiw

Good.

In all seriousness, I mean "wreck poo poo" more in the sense that we follow a bunch of protagonists and you can't help but want them to succeed.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The 60 Minutes (CBS) interview maybe?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Why is it that for everyone of those segments he's looking down at the ground, like he's emba--

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
He is a man that will be reborn amidst the smoke and salt of the internet, wielding the flaming pen Endbringer.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Just goes to show how badly they hosed up expressing Dany's immature temperament in the early seasons, imo. It's always been bad.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ruddiger posted:

I know it doesn't mean anything, but it would be cool if Drogon's little pause before incinerating Varys was a callback to the Dance of the Dragons when the rebel Targaryan Queen was sentenced to death by dragon fire, which means Varys has Targaryan blood in him.

They should've done a call-back to the Duksendale-kidnapping last episode with Dany and Cersei, instead of having them stare at each other...or having Tyrion do a meaningless speech. But that kind-of commitment to adapting a book requires motivation.

-------------

https://twitter.com/ManInTheHoody/status/1127803652062629889

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

[...] triumphant and righteous [...]

Exactly.

How they adapted Meereen in 5x09 also fits this; Dany getting out of the arena on Drogon is almost like some sort of flying unicorn moment in the show...instead of a "queen" leaving her people to complete anarchy.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Holy poo poo the optics on this ending are terrible with regards to how it presents women in power. They're all crazy and need to lectured by powerful men on how to properly rule lest they get everyone murdered through their overly emotionally ways.

Yes, they are staying true to GRRM's vision in that regard (seriously).

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Don't wanna ruin your watch but, it irks me that they don't show any scenes of her face while tearing up King's Landing. I feel like they cut 'em.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

I'm not sure why this post was necessary, but I don't have the grrm brain, so.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
If Jaime's book arc doesn't end with him killing another queen/king I will riot.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Jon Snow serenading Ygritte is actually a little cool...
Ditto Peter Dinklage hamming it up...

You can hate/make-fun-of me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

chaosapiant posted:

I finally just finished the "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" book, the three Dunkin Donuts and Egg stories. Those are some fantastic stories. I want more stories like that!

Some Bernard Cornwell maybe, I personally dunno where to start with his medieval stuff though...