Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Amazon.de supposedly sent out only 180 copies or so. I got mine on the 30th, but I had the book preordered since about 2008. I don't know about any other leaks.

And at the rate he's moving the plot forward in Dance, there's no way in hell he'll finish in two more books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Dance is certainly better than Feast. It's not as strong as the first three, and it shares some of Feast's problems, but it's a clear improvement.

However, by this point, there's some fatigue setting in when it comes to new characters. Martin's no longer able to keep new POV characters fresh, and I had a hard time caring about most of them. And some of his narrative tricks are getting annoyingly repetitive by now.

I liked the Aegon plot overall, but it would've worked a lot better had he been introduced in book 2 or a trilogy, as was Martin's original intent when he started writing, rather than book 5 of a supposed 7 book series. (It won't be 7 books.)

The Theon chapters are great, and one Tyrion chapter in particular is also pretty harrowing. But overall, Dance is mostly set-up. Again.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Vonnegut Asterisk posted:

So now what I want more than anything is a Dolorous Edd point of view chapter of him being in charge of a bunch of spearwives. I need a comedy chapter after this book.

I'm totally down with that, as long as it's not a prologue or epilogue.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I liked how the bad guys in Avatar were straight out of Captain Planet. Real nuanced.

More nuanced than the Trump administration.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Ironborn, noted pirates and raiders, possessing the mightiest navy, have no access to timber on their islands.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has any show ever fallen as far and fast as GoT did? It was dominating pop culture and even with the later seasons being worse, people were still excited for various reasons. Then the final episode hit and people collectively asked what the gently caress and then... nothing.

Remember Lost? Me neither.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s kind of amazing tbh

Take a couple more lines from the song, and you could make a decent horror movie with that premise.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Daenerys went from a strangely apt general and reader of people doing a reverse Alexander the Great, conquering from Eat to West by guile, tactics and thinking outside the box, to a moron stuck in a city afraid of upsetting the vile local lords that she already defeated because hey, it's not time for her to get back home yet!

You may be too young to remember, but years and years ago, after the first three books had been published, a group of people came into power who called themselves the Neocons, and they believed you could bring freedom and civilization to the backwards peoples of the Middle East, by bombing their cities and overthrowing their tyrannical rulers. Sadly, that didn't quite go as planned.

What I'm saying is, whatever hero narrative GRRM had planned for Dany in Slavers' Bay, it definitely got derailed by 9/11 and the Iraq War, if he even had intended for such a neat and simple narrative in the first place.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't really paid attention to GAFM in the last 12 years or so. Have there ever been any inside scoops from the publisher/editor side on his procrastination, contracts, etc.?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
He really missed an opportunity by not kickstarting Westeros Citizen ten years ago.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean if we're talking about the old guard of SF writers, let's not forget that both Asimov and Herbert two of the big three, died with their life's works incomplete. We never got that final Dune or Foundation book.
And then Brian Herbert happened.

Herbert's a bad example. We got God Emperor, and then he kept writing because he had bills to pay.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I’m here because I’m fascinated by the phenomenon of this man not writing his magnus opus while he keeps promising he is almost there and workin on anything else but that

The Zeno's Paradox of literature

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

LiterallyATomato posted:

I just Daenerys'ed all over the ladies' room at work.

Next time, stay away from the 'Fire and Blood' chili.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm old enough to remember thinking the Iraq invasion must really have thrown a wrench in the White Savior plotline he had planned for Dany.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mark immune posted:

I was recommended it in 2001 ish by a friend who mocked the wheel of time for scope creep and never finishing. lol. lmao.

That was me, and I hereby formally apologize.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Woodpile posted:

Two weeks into the season and no blog posts about the NFL. He died.

After the success of Elden Ring, Chris Roberts hired him for Star Citizen.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Does anyone know if the GRRM cameos on the old Beauty and the Beast TV show are online somewhere? I couldn't find them on youtube, but they're hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Irisi posted:

(For those of you who have BBC iPlayer, go watch him in Agatha Christies' And Then There Were None,, or Charles Dickens Bleak House, he plays terrifying lawyers in both of them and is incomparably upper class and monstrous and you cannot take your eyes off him, even when all he is doing is sitting very still)

https://youtu.be/9yzQd28aFqQ?si=wG8Z97XwqnjZwltV