Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
I've been re-reading AFfC this past week and every single time I reach a Brienne chapter, I become overwhelmed with exhaustion and end up either going to bed or taking a nap.

Coincidence? I think not.

Ixian, I think you're totally right and these chapters were beefed up/slapped together to pad the book after Gurm decided he wanted to split the books. God bless the Kindle's chapter-skip button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

I know at some point in the new book one character (I think it might have been Kevan but I'm not 100% sure) mentions King Aerys having the hots for Joanna Lannister, so there's more fodder for the Tyrion=Secret Targ crowd as well.

Whaaaat, really? I could be down with R+L=J, but I think Tyrion being a secret Targ is totally pushing it. I guess I had heard something about that poo poo before, but I thought it was just psycho fanwanking and never saw anything that suggested it in the book until you mentioned this. I remember what you're talking about, but it wasn't until your post that I put the two together.

Crap. I really was hoping that Tyrion would be more of a saddle-maker/advisor to Dany, and not one of the other two dragon riders.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

I had a theory about Craster, that in fact he was the one responsible for creating the latest wave of Others.

His scenes in the earlier books all mention how he kills boy babies by exposing them to the winter. There's a throwaway line about what this entails, and in a universe where blood magic and all that stuff happens, it stands to reason that years of baby-killing could be a terrible kind of blood magic that resurrects the greatest evil Westeros has ever known.

And it would be kinda ironic that the Night's Watch, set up to protect the realms of men, were friends with the guy bringing about their downfall. And maybe Gilly's baby, the only boy baby to survive where all his brothers-cum-Others were sacrificed, turns out to be important to the plot somehow.

I really like this theory, and would be really into it if it ends up being true.

I also enjoy the idea of a totally useless Dany, particularly with how she seems to have been set up as the eventual victor (having dragons and all'. I'm definitely in the 'Dany is batshit' camp and think it would be awesome if by the time she shows up with the dragons she's become as bad as Aerys. After all, if we think of incest as the cause of the Targ insanity, then Aegon, whose mother was Dornish would be less/ unaffected.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

I seem to remember quite a bit of time passing in each book. Doesn't GoT alone take place over the course of like a year?