Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

b0lt posted:

I'd put Steven Erikson on par with GURM on dialog (kruppe rules) and higher with respect to world building. More importantly he actually treats writing as a job and puts books out of the length of DWD every year or so, instead of making readers wait 6 years between books.

edit:

Read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series

I can't care about the world of the Malazan series if no one in it is interesting at all (and that's a pervasive Erikson flaw)

before you say anything, I read all ten books

and yeah, anyone interesting was put aside for three books on a level that would make the GRRM whiners blush and by the time they came back I was more than bored with the world. GRRM may not provide as epic of a world, but it's filled with such vibrancy and lush characters that I can forgive it, completely.

Also ADWD may be close to the best ASOIAF book yet.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Gangringo posted:

When I got to the part where Tyrion meets Penny and rides the pig all I could think of was Peter Dinklage reading it and giving a long, slow, mournful sigh.

I laughed as hard at that as I did with Quentyn's fate. GRRM is a master of intentional and unintentional humor.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mcable posted:

What the gently caress kind of knot was there in Mereen if this is the "solution". Mereen is as big a clusterfuck as ever with the city still being sieged, two dragons on the loose, Tyrion/Victarion/Marwyn still haven't meet Dany, and Dany making GBS threads around in the middle of the Dothraki sea.

I bet George will be faced with Mereenese Knot 2.0 in trying to wrap up all these storylines and getting Dany and co. on a boat bound for Westeros.

I'm actually surprised with the critical acclaim that ADWD is getting. My theory is that it's a bit like Indiana Jones 4 which coasted on the reputation of the series and it took a while for people to realize that it just wasn't a very good movie (IJ4 still hold 77% on rotten tomatoes based on the strong early reviews).

The hype from the HBO show really colored people's opinions of the book. I mean it got near universal acclaim from critics but is currently sitting at 3 stars on Amazon. The hardcore fans that have already bought and read the book know what's up; ADWD (and AFFC before it) is a major step down from the first three books.

Depends on what you like about the series. I felt AFFC/ADWD had not only the strongest writing of the series, but some of its biggest gamechangers and the setup for TWoW pretty much cements that the next book will be the best ASOIAF yet by a thousand million leagues.

It's just that people seem to hate backstory and worldbuilding which these two books have mostly given us, while I found it fascinating and fleshed out Westeros as a character more than any previous book had attempted to. I don't take reader reviews with anything more than a pinch of salt -- the professional reviews have pointed out a lot of the reasons I love AFFC and ADWD, and that's just fine with me.

I do believe that Dany's last chapter has proven that the knot will be destroyed early on in TWoW.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I felt like Quentyn was there, also, to prove the whole "words are wind" phrase that keeps getting repeated by everyone. He thought that the words of Dorne would convince Dany... and they didn't. They did absolutely nothing, as useless as the breeze.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mcable posted:

My point was to compare the critical acclaim for ADWD to the initial fan reactions. By your line of thinking then the raves from the media is also almost completely meaningless. Consider that the hype for ASOIAF is at an all-time high right now with the HBO series, the huge boost in sales for the first 4 books (4 million this year, as someone in this thread pointed out), and the excitement surrounding the release of ADWD.

Like I compared with Indiana Jones, I think ADWD is coasting on the goodwill and positive word of mouth of the rest of the series. Else, I can't figure out why there is such overwhelming critical acclaim for a book that is a fairly big step down from the first three.

For a lot of reasons -- Incredible writing, awesome worldbuilding, interesting new themes introduced (disease, new Targaryens, winter ACTUALLY coming), and a lot of awesome setup for what is no doubt going to be an incredible sixth entry.

I, for one, can definitely understand the overwhelming critical acclaim.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Decius posted:

2/3 loving awesome + 1/3 boring, medicore still makes a pretty great book. The Blackwater and Tyrion/Arya aside ACoK was worse in my opinion. The major complaint about ADWD for me is the lack of a climax/payoff.

I always thought I was alone on this. I feel like ACOK is the weakest of the series by far.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah, ACOK is personally my least favorite. The first half of it is a goddamn drag to get through, first read or reread. Storm is still the best in the series, but ADWD contains probably the best actual prose -- it's just that it's still mostly setup.

I agree. Storm is pretty much the best fantasy book ever written, buuuuuuuut, with all the setup we got the past two books I really expect Winds of Winter to top it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Xander77 posted:

A) A better prose writer than Tolkien isn't even praise to be damned with.

B) Can anyone explained what's going on with the guards in Quentyn's final chapter? The first couple stand aside, but the others fight. What's up with that?

Well, yeah, he's not a great writer if we're putting him up against the greats, but he's by far the best in the genre, approaching levels of contemporary fiction masterpieces.

However, AFFC/ADWD's writing is superb.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I saw Dany's stupidity as a conflict between head vs. heart. She THINKS she's the blood of the dragon, and that she could just give in and gently caress everyone up and kill them all, but at the same time, she has a heart, and that heart wants to lead the people she had freed to a better life.

But all the people surrounding her all want different things, and she can't please them all. I feel like her last chapter through the Dothraki Sea showed us that she has finally taken in the advice of all those most important in her life, and figured out that she unfortunately cannot plant trees, only burn them. And then when the dust settles, maybe she can make some semblance of rule from all the charred remains.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I really hope Dany goes to Asshai in Book Six. Then further east to wrap around the world and land right at loving... wait.

Casterly Rock is on the western shores of Westeros... and if Tyrion meets Dany in the next book, well...

awesome

I want that place to burn to the ground.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pwnstar posted:

Here's how to do Meereen: Don't.

All the political squabbling in Meereen would make for great HBO drama, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I would say that the archaic spellings and different spellings aren't even annoying at all.

What IS annoying is that suddenly everyone lives by the phrase, "Words are wind."

I could see this being applicable to Quentyn's arc, and makes sense there considering what happens to him in Dany's court, but... how did everyone in the world begin to believe this?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fists Up posted:

I am getting annoyed a little by this but I dont think I'll give up. It just means I wont get annoyed because I am totally expecting it to be years before the next book. When it comes it comes but I won't be waiting. The TV show at least has a schedule I can follow. They are totally gonna catch up to him considering the popularity of the show.

How much did he say he pushed into Winds of Winter?

Two major events were shuffled into the next book.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Master Kush posted:

That is good to hear. Though I still am a bit concerned, as the scale of the books do increase, resulting in more expenses. They could cheap out and do what they are doing now and showing little battles with a few people or skipping them altogether. On one hand it would increase the longevity of the show as less expense means the greater chance it would be renewed, but I would be disappointed if they scale things down or skipped things such as the battle of the Blackwater.

Well, considering there's only like three battles they'd ever have to really show across ACOK/ASOS, and then no big battles in AFFC/ADWD, they might be able to cut expenses just by virtue of the plot itself.

I still find the complaint about 'not much happening' in ADWD to be hilariously false.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Well, the whole Meereen half of the plot I think was definitely a little dragged out. But yeah, I don't know where the hell people get off claiming nothing happened in Jon's chapters. What? The dude forged an alliance with thousands of wildlings, re-manned forts that had lain abandoned for centuries, started restoration of said forts, exploited the conflict between Stannis, Cersei, and the Iron Bank to conjure up enough money out of thin loving air to feed all these people through the winter, then got all Caesar'd. It was a great plotline, and really eventful. I dunno how on earth people are complaining about that.

I will agree that the Meereen half was a drag, but I'm one of the few who enjoyed the political side of it all. The fact that Dany can't appease everyone, the fact that she's got her hands tied behind her back because of all the people chomping at the bit to either see her dead or get her on their side.

I think Drogon coming back was a significant plot movement and can only hope to escalate her chapters in TWOW (though I have full faith that book will be the best ASOIAF book yet).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

lapse posted:

If he's unable to keep it concise, I'd rather have an extra-long book that still covers all the intended developments, rather than a short book that necessitates an 8th and 9th book, etc.

I have a feeling this book would have been widely seen as fantastic by everyone in this thread, if we'd gotten the climax at Winterfell and the resolution of Mereen (burning it to the ground)

I agree, and I loved the poo poo out of ADWD.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

threeagainstfour posted:

So assuming that Winds of Winter doesn't make them absolutely key to the plot, what bits of Dance with Dragons/Feast for Bros can successfully be left out of the television series? Right now I'm betting that they can cut literally everything to do with Dorne past the the Red Viper and his duel with Gregor.

Quentyn's story arc accomplishes nothing. I did find him amusing as a character, and there was something novel about a group of dudes out on a journey that they are convinced they will tell their children about. It all added up to squat cause Quentyn just goes and gets himself cooked.

And since Quentyn doesn't amount to jack poo poo the whole "fire and blood," reveal in Feast doesn't really mean anything. The show runners could conceivably cut it all out, or bring Dorne back into the picture in season 5 if they end up siding with Aegon.
I found the point of Quentyn's arc, as I've said before, to epitomize the idea of words being wind. He finds that just because his father had a piece of paper, doesn't mean Dany would recognize his legitimacy. But I disagree with cutting out Dorne. Dorne is probably one of the most interesting areas and scenes in both Feast and Dance.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Royality posted:

Having finished the book, I expected - to the last - that something had to happen. I got that horrible feeling as I approached the last couple of chapters that even the battle outside Meereen wasn't going to happen, and with every subsequent chapter it got stronger and stronger. I finally realised, upon reading the first few lines of the epilogue, that holy poo poo GRRM genuinely did not include the loving climax to the entire book. This is not being a cock-tease, this is being a bad author.

I know it's been mentioned a thousand times before, but nothing actually happens in this book that is exciting. In short, this is a bad book.

Except things DO happen. I absolutely CANNOT understand how people say nothing happened in ADWD. There were no resolutions, but THINGS HAPPENED.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

EC posted:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I get the impression sometimes that people want GRRM to just provide a list of plot points as opposed to writing the next book. I love all the background, the history, the world-building...I don't need to rush to the ultimate climax anytime soon. I'd like the books sooner rather than later, of course, but not everything needs to happen right loving now for the book to be good.

Truer words cannot be said.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Effectronica posted:

My problem isn't with the world or with GRRM spending time there, it's just that the overall narrative is noticeably bloating and starting to go into a tailspin. I'd really rather he start writing faux-guidebooks to Westeros or short stories or whatever as sideworks to ASOIAF, and instead focused on tightening up the narrative. But on the other hand, genre fiction is bought and sold based on length rather than any sort of quality, especially SF/F.

Well, the quality is still top-notch, so I don't see ASOIAF delving into average genre fiction.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Neurosis posted:

How does aiding the invasion of 40 000 Mongol-esque barbarians who understand no currency but rape and pillage fit into this vision of a peaceful Westeros?

Dany's planned return always seemed a little irresponsible to me, too, since she is barren (though, to be fair, Varys could not know that), which plants the seeds for another civil war.

Doesn't the end of ADWD prove she isn't barren?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Levitate posted:

Are you making GBS threads me it took him 6 years to write another AFfC what the gently caress

They are two halves of the same book, and AFFC was fantastic.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

withak posted:

That is the kind of thing we would learn in a book where stuff actually happens.

So... A Dance With Dragons? That's a book where stuff actually happens.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

AngusPodgorny posted:

I think any competently written and edited novel should never disappoint. If there's a section that makes the reader think "god, this is tedious and pointless, when will the author move on," then it should be fixed, and if it's not, I feel entitled to complain about it.

Plenty of novels I've recently read haven't disappointed like Martin (and Rothfuss but this is the wrong thread for him) does for large sections - The Big Sleep, Grand Sophy, Lolita, Foucalt's Pendulum, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Blood Meridian, etc. Sure, the authors are among the best of their genres, but I thought Martin was supposed to be among the best in fantasy.

He is. Even when he missteps he trounces his peers.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

Did the latest book reveal who killed Jofferey? I have no interest in reading any further but am wondering if the long winded author finally got around to tying up that dangling thread.

Sounds like someone didn't actually read the past four books.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bigmcgaffney posted:

Its possible that people skip the Dany chapters because they find them to be horribly written and/or boring. But I guess those opinions don't count unless they actually read said chapters, and when they turn out to be indeed boring, then that opinion is also invalid for some reason?

I don't skip and enjoyed the book but if an entire plotline cannot keep a reader's attention enough for them to even be bothered to read it, the author has failed as a writer, at least for a subset of readers. I'd say thats a valid point of view.

I don't think he writes these books to please everyone. In fact, that's the worst thing you could do as a writer.

But yes, you need to read every chapter or your opinion holds no weight. That's like watching half of a movie, declaring it boring, then drawing your own conclusions as to its other half in terms of entertainment/quality.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Substar posted:

In Martin's July 30th blog, he mentions going to Bungie a few times while he was in Seattle. Think there is a ASOIAF game in the works?!

They're doing SOMETHING ASOIAF-related, but that's as far as we can gleam from it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hypocrite lecteur posted:

If the tales coming up the kingsroad could be believed, the King's Hand had been murdered by his dwarf son whilst sitting on a privy.

She could carry the sadness of the moment with her that way forever, see the world refracted through those tears, those specific tears, as if indices as yet unfound varied in important ways from cry to cry.

use of language, pretty much a wash. grrm, master of English and of "whilst"

I'm waiting for your posts not to read exactly the same every single time you post in here.

In that you've probably bashed GRRM as a writer at least five times in the past few days.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Joffrey cut up a book and threw the pieces at Tyrion which is what everyone should have done to gurm with their copies of Dance.

Man, these jokes are getting so very old. Even if I disliked the book, it's so big that it can be used as a weapon. And that's a use GRRM never intended.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Adama posted:

Both the posters you quoted have explained that they both know that the words exist and know their meaning... they aren't complaining that Martin is using words that they don't understand.

Martin, an American writer, is inserting British quaint-sounding words to make the books read as "olde tyme" to his audience.

Might as well not even write a fantasy novel at all if you don't want to insert British influence into it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

elron posted:

Dude, I'm not even old, but you sure made me feel like it.
There's a part where GRRM is describing the masks of the animal guards and he strings together 5 magical words: "lions and tigers and bears". No "oh my", so it might not qualify as a Wizard of Oz reference, but it still led me to make this note: "really you piece of poo poo? really?" So there's that.

Eh, the Hyperion series uses "Lions and Tigers and Bears" as a description of an otherworldly group of omniscient beings, so I've disassociated the words with the Wizard of Oz.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hhhmmm posted:

Because the last two books are poorly edited.

The overall plot is ok and the writing is decent. But the timing is off. Too many cliffhangers and travelogue, and phrases are repeated to much. These are things that should have been caught in editing.

Reading the interview, the editor is moving the books in the opposite direction - moving plot resolutions away, and falling in love with the travelogue, Penny and other parts where GRRM is repeating himself too much.

The only bad editing in the last two books has been repeated phrases. The writing is his best yet and some of the most evocative fantasy writing in years.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

hellbastard posted:

I got retard drunk the other night and was asking complete strangers where whores go.

I woke up with bruises...

I believe that everyone's words are wind.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

Except there are universal complaints about pacing, here and on amazon. This could have been fixed by a good editor.

I don't have nearly the same issues with the pacing as other people do. I enjoyed all the slow worldbuilding and lack of plot movement. I couldn't care less about Amazon reviews.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Finally finished this book and the only thing I really wanted from the ending was a hilarious description of Daario being thrown from a trebuchet.

Dance and Feast should've been heavily edited down to one book. They also shouldn't end on such bullshit annoying cliffhangers. The first three books didn't end on cliffhangers :mad:

Except they more or less did. People seem to forget that plot threads were left entirely dangling in every ASOIAF novel, not just the last two. They may not have been glaringly obvious, but ASOS left just as much cliffhangers as the rest.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Habibi posted:

Except that those books at least resolved some threads before leaving you hanging on others. The ASOS equivalent of AFFC/DWD would have the book ending before the Moutain/Red Viper fight, before Tyrion's escape, etc... The book would have likely ended when 10 separate threads came together to foreshadow Joffrey's poisoning and the last line would have been, "He tipped the chalice back and opened his mouth."

I would not have appreciated AFFC/DWD written in the same way that ASOS was. If he just continued chugging along, we would have lost a huge chunk of worldlore that I think would have hurt the series in the long run.

I know people are just so disappointed that things weren't resolved, but I'm pretty sure you also know that the next book will do just what you want.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I find it hilarious and amusing that every ASOIAF thread on the Internet has people up in arms about gay characters. Jon Connington is gay, deal with it. And I'd rather read about his gayness than just about every lesbian scene in the series.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

lapse posted:

People are being dumb in this thread, but honestly I think gay characters are handled pretty well in this series. Much more-so than, say, female characters.

Yeah, they're not allowed to be "out" in GRRM's world, but there are very few stereotypes to be found.

Pretty much the only "certain" gays, out of the major characters, are Loras, Renly, Connington, and maybe the Blackfish. All badasses, especially Connington - that story was one of the redeeming parts of ADWD frankly.

I loved that part where they are capturing a bunch of land like 20 minutes after landing, and he strolls into his old home and is like "sup everyone, I am the new lord here". Plot actually moved fast, unlike every other plot line (10 chapters of being stuck in the snow en route to Winterfell, loving Mereen, etc.)

I think the reason Connington's chapters had such quick plot movement is that him and Aegon are new players in the game, relatively unopposed and blindsiding pretty much everyone. Only Varys and Tyrion seem to know they exist.

Once they face the fact that Westeros is incredibly fractured, I imagine their taking over of places will slow down considerably.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I can understand missing Blackfish/Connington/... Dolorous Edd's homosexuality, but if you missed Renly/Loras as a couple then you must have been reading every third word. Especially since GRRM himself outright stated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr.Brinks posted:

You forgot Selmy, who is definitely Bi.

I have no idea how HBO is going to split up the next books without either having lots of seasons, or simply just brushing over a lot of material.

Someone's gonna have to point out where Selmy's bi, because he spends most of the latter half of ADWD fantasizing about women.