Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
So yeah, I just finished the book. I wasn't expecting that much, but I was positively surprised by this one. It's a contender for my favorite book in the series. Some bad things though:

The Tyrion chapters were the Brienne chapters of the book, but I never really cared about him in the first place so oh well.
gently caress Baby-Aegon.
The Daario Naharis/Daenerys romance was terrible in Storms and it is terrible in this one as well. Yes, I get that she's 15 years old and has raging hormones, it still doesn't make much sense at all.

Other than that I had a great time reading it. The Theon chapters were particularly gripping.

e; Ramsay is lying about Stannis, Jon is totally dead.

This book also made me appreciate Lord Manderly. "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey" indeed :drat: . He might me my new favorite northern lord, replacing Roose.

And gently caress you Varys. :qq: SER KEVAN :qq: .

e2; It was however obvious that he had to cut a lot of stuff out of this book as well, and it was fairly disjointed.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Ser Kevan and Pycelle dying were the only things that I got spoiled for me. I kept hoping that it was a fake spoiler, but I was wrong :negative:

Ser Kevan dying seriously bothers me more than the Red Wedding.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Kaizer88 posted:

loving Daario. At least he probably ended up thrown by the trebuchets into Mereen. Ha-Ha
Yeah, I liked Daenerys chapters otherwise, but gently caress Daario and his loving blue beard.

I think that the Theon and Davos chapters are what lifted this book from decent to great for me.

e; I loved seeing Stannis march through the North in Asha's chapters as well.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 14, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I thought the 'Ugly Little Girl' or whatever chapter was going to be Shireen. I was so disappointed :saddowns:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gaussian posted:

I figured out the Mance thing about midway through the chapter where Theon escapes. That was a real headslapper.
Yeah, I figured that one out when one of the girls referred to the northmen as kneelers.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I just realized that the fact that Tyrion didn't get Greyscale (and the plague in Mereen for that matter) even though the Griffin dude got it from touching him might be a hint that he's a secret Targ, seeing as Targs are immune to many diseases apparently :negative:

e; Or it's just Tyrion's plot armor showing up again. He have survived way to many dangerous situations for it to feel realistic.

e; I do however think that GRRM was thinking 'Wait, my readers think Tyrion is a secret Targ? Heh, let's see if I can troll more people into thinking that' when he added the 'Aerys wanted to gently caress Tywin's wife'-line though.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 14, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

bengraven posted:

As for the Targ thing, when Selmy says that Aerys took the bedding a bit too far, I think it was more of sticking his fingers in her or rubbing her up and down. I think he literally said something about Aerys not being able to take advantage of "first night". I think he just molested Joanna, not hosed her.
Yeah, but that line was more about establishing that Aerys wanted to gently caress her, meaning that it's very possible that he did so while Tywin was at King's Landing.

I personally don't think he did it, but that line increased the likelihood of it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Jon is definitely no longer the Lord Commander at the very least, even if he somehow gets back from being stabbed to death, which I doubt. (I can't see the Night's Watch accepting him if he is resurrected or wargs into another body), it'll be interesting to see who is elected as number 999. I'm hoping that it'll be Thorne :allears:

Unless the whole thing is dissolved and the wildlings take over or something.

e; Maybe Jon wargs into the giant :aaaaa:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 15, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Aegon meeting Daenerys would have potential. He has the best claim to the throne, but she has dragons :allears:

Assuming of course that Aegon isn't the Mummer's Dragon and fake.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Daenerys is a 14-year (maybe 15 now?) old girl in ~irrational love~. Her actions that doesn't involve Daario are usually fairly reasonable considering her age.

e; You can draw parallels between her and Robb really.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 15, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
^^^Stannis owns. And yeah, GRRM should totally get a cameo as one of the Manderlys in the show.

Oh, and gently caress Ramsay. Domeric Bolton sounded like an awesome dude :(

e; It seems like I'm the only one who liked Penny. I personally think that the boatride down the river was the weakest part of Tyrion's chapters.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 15, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
What's going on around Winterfell is just so incredibly vague. Didn't the Banker say that the only people left in Winterfell were the Umber-dude and a few men at arms waiting for Stannis? Did they switch side or something? :iiam:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Aurubin posted:

Am I alone in hoping Varys dies horribly? I mean I didn't really feel that bad for Kevan Lannister, but seriously, the "for the realm" bullshit is tiring. Unless he's got some super secret prophetic knowledge, his plans have hosed up the ASoIaF world more than anyone else's.

Also, I'm with the maesters, kill all the loving dragons. :black101:
I just don't get what Varys want. Killing Kevan just will just lead to more pain for the realm, and it's not like a Targaryen on the throne would be inherently better than a Baratheon or Lannister. Maybe he's just trying to cause a peasant rebellion. But gently caress Varys for killing Ser Kevan either way.

Oh, and this is the best armor description in the books:

quote:

Back where the press was the thickest at the center of the column rode a man armored in dark grey plate over a quilted tunic of blood-red leather. His rondels were wrought in the shape of human heads, with open mouths that shrieked in agony. From his shoulders streamed a pink woolen cloak embroidered with droplets of blood. Long streamers of red silk fluttered from the top of his closed helm.
They better have that poo poo in the show. Roose owns, pink owns.

And I agree that Roose Bolton basically is Tywin with his pragmatism, and not unrealistically evil or whatever. And Ramsay is an obvious psychopath.

e; GRRM needs to cut down on 'as useless as nipples on a breastplate'

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 16, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Xander77 posted:

I don't get Roose's endgame. So he becomes King in the North (or a de facto equivalent) dies, Ramsay (whom he loving loathes) takes over and kills all his brothers, acts like a psychopath, pisses everything Roose got away. It's not like Tywin's big Lannister dynasty plans,so... ?
Yeah, I didn't really get Roose's "Ramsay will make a horrible lord, he'll kill all my legitimate sons and I hate him in general, but at least he's better than a boy lord so I should keep him around!". Presumably he has a reason since he's been shown to be competent otherwise, but who knows.

How old is Roose anyway? He mentions that he won't live enough to see his sons with Walda reach manhood, but I always thought that he was 50 years old at most.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Silas the Mariner posted:

Varys saw that Kevan was capable of stabilizing the realm.

"... you were threatening to undo all the queen's good work, to reconcile Highgarden and Casterly Rock, bind the Faith to your little king, unite the Seven Kingdoms under Tommen's rule."

Varys wants the realm at pain, he wants all the rulers at each other's throats so that when the rightful heir comes to take the throne back he won't meet any organised military resistance.

Varys believes that Aegon should rule because a) he's a Targaryen and b) "Tommen has been taught that kingship is his right, Aegon knows that kingship is his duty, that a king must put his people first, and live and rule for them."

I agree with him.
Stannis believes that kingship is his duty as well, Varys should support him :colbert:

I just don't get why he (apparently) loves house Targaryen so much. I realize that his "I HATE MAGIC"-speech in Clash might have been a complete fabrication, but he never seemed like a guy who would care that much about the Targs and the rightful line of succession anyway.

e; My main problem is with 'for the realm' really. Sure, he can be pro-Targaryen, but the people of the realm doesn't give a gently caress about whether Tommen or Aegon rules, and would probably prefer to have Kevan stabilizing the realm for a few years over a reignited civil war.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 16, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Roark posted:

It could be a hedge. Or - assuming that Aegon is a real Targaryen - that they hope they'll marry and rule as king and queen, ala the old Targ inter-family marriages.
This is probably the current plan. I'm guessing that it'll end in tears with Daenerys incinerating Aegon after he mentions that he is the rightful Targaryen claimant and should be in charge.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Varys will get stabbed and then we find out that he had a dick all along! :aaa:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think the 'point' with the Quentyn chapters was to add some conflict between Dorne and Daenerys in future books.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

regulargonzalez posted:

Harranhal was 2 years before Robert's Rebellion, which was roughly a year or so before Robb was born, who is 14 at the time of AGOT. That means Ned had to be 18-20ish at *youngest* at the time of the Harranhal tourney -- i.e., fully grown adult. I've never read him being described as small (unless it was by comparison to Gregor or something). How are you figuring him to be small?
Maybe Benjen was the knight.

Benjen :allears:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Show news:

Now they just need to confirm that we are getting The Bear and Maiden Fair and the show will be perfect :allears:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

SelfOM posted:

The whole Jon death is cheap. Makes no sense for Bowen et. al to kill him then, and the rationale for them doing it is stupid. Winning over the wildings makes sense, preventing the creation of more zombies makes sense, killing your sworn brother surrounded by people who will likely seek vengeance is not rational. Why couldn't they wait until he leaves with the wildings, and hopes he dies?

Ugh, I really wish I never started this series. Having to wait another 3+ years for the next book, to resolve any of dozens of cliffhangers is frustrating, especially after having to wait a decade or so.
They are doing it because he's riding away to deal with Ramsay, since that violates the 'take no part in wars'-clause in the Night's Watch which is pretty serious.

The Boltons and King's Landing wouldn't look kindly on the Night's Watch if the Lord Commander killed Ramsay.

e; They were probably planning it since before he announced that though, so who knows.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 17, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm eager to see what will happen to Aegon to make him less of a perfect prince :allears:

e; Were there any hints in the books before Dance that Aegon might have survived? The only thing I remember is GRRM basically going "WELL, I CAN'T CONFIRM OR DENY THAT" on a con or something when someone asked him if Rhaegar's kids really were dead.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 17, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Diving Buttress posted:

Varys's little speech about "Aegon knows kingship is his duty, while Tommen believes it's his right" got me thinking. Does Daenerys believe it's her right or her duty to sit on the Iron Throne? Maybe she's not supposed to retake Westeros at all, and she'll resurrect Valyrian civilization or something.
Daenerys believes that it's her right to rule Westeros and her duty to rule Meereen.

e; People would probably hate him while he ruled, but Stannis would make an excellent king :colbert: (until he's killed by some powerful noble he scorned that is)

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hemp Knight posted:

Actually, given that Stannis is an utter dick, I wonder how he gets the most loyal people in the realm. Cressen drank poison trying to save Stannis from Melisandre, and then there's Davos.
He's nice to people who are loyal to him and follows the law. No other current claimant to the throne would even consider making someone like Davos Lord and Hand.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Maybe Aegon is Eddard's and Ashara's bastard :v:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 17, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Brannock posted:

Something about Davos's character has always rubbed me kind of weird. How does a smuggler become this principled, and principled enough to just accept Stannis chopping off his fingers and love him for it?

Becoming a knight just seems like a rather paltry reward for inspiring this much loyalty.
He was also rewarded with a keep and some land on Cape Wrath. His wife and children were basically set for life after those rewards from Stannis.

It wasn't just an empty knighthood like what Bronn was rewarded with.

e; in addition to becoming Stannis' most trusted advisor and having one of his sons become Stannis' squire. Davos didn't lack for rewards.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 17, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I really want the show to get to this book so I can see Alfie Allen doing the Theon chapters :allears:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

NihilCredo posted:

On Theon: I'm currently on the theory that Ramsay severed or otherwise maimed his penis, but left him his balls. This explains a little better why he said he still wanted to gently caress the spearwife (though it doesn't quite explain the "yet dared not" part), plus it would just be that extra topping of cruelty that the Bastard could like.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Mutilating his penis (maybe flaying it :gonk:) while leaving the balls seems like something Ramsay would do.

I always thought that the 'To go west you must go east, and to reach the light you must pass beneath the Shadow' meant that Dany would go to Asshai and then travel east from there, reaching Westeros from the west by circumventing the globe. Then she can torch Casterly Rock or whatever.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 18, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The banker will lend Stannis so much gold that he can hire tons of mercenaries and win the war :unsmith:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I think it's supposed to be "Petyr realizes that he will have no chance at getting Sansa if there isn't a war"->"Petyr tells Joffrey that sending Ned to the wall would be cowardly as hell and people would laugh at his womanly heart or whatever so that there will be a war". But that quote doesn't seem imply that so I dunno.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
You know what would have been great? A single Petyr chapter after the red wedding where we get to see him reacting to Catelyn being murdered :smith:

e; Typing that made me realize that Littlefinger probably hates the Frey's. That should be fun, what with him being the liege lord of the riverlands.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Habibi posted:

Dude, everyone hates the Freys. The Freys are like the OPEC of Westeros. Everyone gets along with them when necessary, but I don't think a single house would bat an eyelash if the opportunity to wipe them out presented itself. This includes the Starks, the Tullys, the Lannisters, the Boltons, the Baelishes, the Arryns, etc... And since the Red Wedding they're hated even more.
Sure, but Littlefinger has a personal reason to hate them, not only the 'oh, they were dicks to some guys that one time and broke some traditions'-reason that most other people have.

vvv: I think you are greatly overestimating the Umbers and the Greatjon.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 18, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hypocrite lecteur posted:

edit: There's a fair amount of talk throughout the books about the Umbers being a fairly strong force in the north. The Freys made an explicit point of making sure that the Greatjon was captured during the Red Wedding to ensure their loyalty, from which it seems a fair inference that the Freys are cautious or afraid of the Umbers. Also, if Jon got his way / Stannis listens to him, they'll be given Winterfell if it's retaken
Yes, but 1: The Umbers are on the other side of the continent and 2: The Freys are stronger. They wouldn't be able to march south and raze the Twins by themselves.

Midnight- posted:

Has anyone got a link to that really detailed map of Westeros?

4000x12000 pixels original

e; There is also a really detailed 'realistic' one somewhere.

e; I believe that Ramsay has Mance as his captive and that Loras' disfigurement is genuine.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 18, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

BeigeJacket posted:

Who will be the head of House Lannister now that Kevan is dead?
Cersei was and still is the lady of Casterly Rock and head of House Lannister pending the result of her trial. After her it's either Myrcella or Kevan's remaining non-Lancel son depending on whether royal children can inherit or not. I think they can, because there is a mention in a Dorne chapter that Tommen would get Casterly Rock and Storm's End even if Myrcella became queen.

Ser Kevan was never a lord of anything. Even though he totally should have been. gently caress Varys :smith:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 18, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

silly posted:

My favorite stupid Dany part was when the Yunkai had Meereen blocked by sea and her advisors were like "you know those ships are all just wood and hemp and pitch and you got these dudes that breathe fire right?" and she refused to hear any of it.
The thing is that she couldn't control them. She'd basically just set them loose and hope really really hard that they went in the right direction and didn't just start eating Mereenese or something. And even if they did go for the boats there was a large chance that the still relatively small and vulnerable dragons would die. Not risking your superweapons before they are ready is generally a good idea.

That's not to say that all Dany's decisions regarding her dragons were good. She should certainly not have put them in a pit for one.

vvv: Gerion was the youngest brother, would still be behind Cersei and Kevan's remaining sons. It would also be really cheap to bring even more people back from the presumed dead in my opinion, but oh well.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 18, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

lapse posted:

It's been pretty obvious that something funny was going to happen, ever since Jon was announced as the 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

There were theories like 10 years ago that he would "die" and come back to be the 1000th.

It was almost obvious enough that you thought it might be a red herring. But nope.
Oh god don't do this GRRM. :negative:

Make Ser Alliser Torne or someone number 1000 please. Anyone but loving Jon Snow who already has way to many *I am special and awesome*-things going on for him.

e; I always thought that it was a nice subversion that he ended up being number 998 instead of 1000.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 19, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Ghost Hat posted:

Also, those two corpses still locked up in the ice cage are going to bite somebody in the rear end later on.
I'm fully expecting there to be a horror-esque chapter where someone opens the cell with the corpses and notices that they are gone.

Then people starts dying :ohdear:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Habibi posted:

There HAS to be something up with Patchface, there just HAS to be. I don't know if it's the lines Martin gave him, or the way he's been written, or the reaction to him from several characters / Melisandre, but there's going to be some weird poo poo going on with him. I have no idea what it's going to be or how or when or why, but SOMETHING will happen.
He's the Azor Ahai of the Drowned God.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I always thought that Rickon and Osha were hanging out in the mountains of the moon, what with the reference to Shaggydog eating goats.

If they're in Skagos there's at least a decent chance that we get to see :krad: Woolly Rhinos which would be amazing.

e; I'm disappointed that we haven't seen one of the raptors that Syrio mentioned seeing.

vvv: Yeah, Skagos is nominally sworn to Winterfell. They have noble houses (after a fashion) and everything.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

hampig posted:

A nice catch from someone on the on the westeros forums:

Obviously, this means Melisandre is actually Syrio Forel.
Did I miss something while reading the book? Isn't Melisandre from Asshai and has nothing at all to do with Volantis where they do mark slaves?

e; Then again, the only thing I remember from the Melisandre chapter is that Devan is in love with her :3:

vvv: Melisandre changing her looks does make sense. She's always described as incredibly beautiful and perfect.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 19, 2011