Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
If they really wanted to only do the show in eight seasons, then I think the best way they could have done Daenerys was that she never makes it to Westeros. It would have been a twist on GoT's usual tragedy to see that after conquering this continent where she is beloved and deified by the majority of people that she rules, she still hates the idea of not sitting on her "proper" throne in a continent that she hasn't been to since she was a baby. So she just has to sit and be miserable over how much everyone loves her.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

In a world where dragons and magic are real, can a person really be diagnosed with a mental illness if he gets convinces he's the subject of some old prophecy?

That's kinda how the whole 'gritty fantasy genre' has its cake and eats it too, imo. Like yeah, rhaegar did a crazy thing but also it's completely rational, but is it??? oh we don't know this is gritty fantasy!

This always drove me nuts in fantasy worlds where monsters and magic demonstrably exist and there are whole histories of apocalyptic events that happened, but nobody can find it in themselves to believe Sir Honorable of House Trustworthy when he says that a big, big monster is gonna come and hurt people.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 17, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I'll always be amused by how edgy the Dante's Inferno game is as depicted by the fact that the red fabric cross on Dante's torso is sewn directly onto Dante's massive Rob Leifeld chest muscles. :emo:

There was a genuinely gross promotion put forth by EA's marketing division at the time (which was infamously terrible on the level of PS2-era Acclaim) wherein besides doing nonsense like holding fake protests, they held a contest during E3 called the "sin to win" promotion:

https://geekfeminism.wikia.org/wiki...0or%20Facebook.

BananaNutkins posted:

Brandon is cool but he has a total disregard for prose. I like the story being told for the most part, and the fantasy world and magic stuff is consistently engaging. His characters in Stormlight are mostly stock PoV, and when he tries something different (Shallan, Venli) they can be annoying. But I can't imagine being an audiobook narrator being confronted with something like this passage: (spoilers for Rhythm of War)Kaladin hesitated, spear held toward Moash’s throat. He could end the man. Should end the man. Why did he hesitate?
Moash … had been his friend. They’d spent hours by the fire, talking about their lives. Kaladin had opened his heart to this man, in ways he hadn’t to most of the others. He’d told Moash, like Teft and Rock, of Tien. Of Roshone. Of his fears.
Moash wasn’t just a friend though. He was beyond that a member of Bridge Four. Kaladin had sworn to the storms and the heavens above—if anyone was there watching—that he’d protect those men.
Kaladin had failed Moash. As soundly as he’d failed Dunny, Mart, and Jaks. And of them all, losing Moash hurt the most. Because in those callous eyes, Kaladin saw himself.

Also, every chapter begins identically. Open any chapter of any Sanderson book and 80% of the time the format of the first sentence is "PoV character strode/walked/ran toward/away from something." The other 20% of the time it's "PoV character verbed something, thinking about something.

In text form I can skim, but it's unlistenable in audio. This isnt even Goodkind-level prose.

The repetition is a problem that pops' up like you said. It also shows up in other forms like in duels where it straight up looks like he just copy-pastes sentences from one duel scene to another. "First, he lashed his left foot to the ceiling. Then he lashed his right foot to the table with a half-lashing upwards. He dropped out of wind stance to grab the sword with both hands. With a heavy forward lashing, he cut through the stone. Suddenly, out of the corner of his eye, he saw a figure and immediately lashed upwards." That was kind of nonsense, but how many duel scenes does it remind you of?

My impression of Brandon is that he's a golden goose and that his publisher would not endorse that he do any unwarranted large-scale rewrites. I do get the feeling that he takes in criticism, and always tries to apply it for his next book. I'm new to his work, but there seems to be an solid, incremental improvement in his stories as time goes on. I'm currently on Rhythm of War in the Stormlight Chronicles and while it seems like it's spinning its wheels, the prose reads so much better than the previous entries in the series.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 27, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

How about instead we talk about how the Ice and Fire wiki lets you upload any pictures you want for any character. These are both Taena Merryweather:

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Is it still that dude's bare rear end on a block of ice?

e: I misremembered it, it's her bare icy rear end.

Didn't know what you were talking about until I looked further down the google search and found the picture under "Corpse Queen"

mildly NSFW for :c00lbutt: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Corpse_queen

Then there's this picture in the section for Night's Queen. Looks pretty cool despite the :anime: :

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Night%27s_Queen

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

Why’d they make him look like Bill Paxton

Unrealistic beauty standards.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I've read so many webcomics that just randomly stopped updating for seemingly no reason. I've been GRRM'd so many times already that when GRRM did it I felt nothing.

You just reminded me I haven't checked on Gone With the Blastwave in like 3 years. I bet he updated at least twice in that time (EDIT: wow, more like half a dozen. Guy's been busy).

The first dead webcomic I remember was one I read in high school called Hellbound. It was apparently close to ending but the updates just died for it.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 16, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

still in my Men Writing Women hall of fame

the BOTH KINDS OF SWORDS rant is honestly imho, worse than "bad pussy"

I always hated swords=dicks metaphors, and fantasy books love them.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still think the funniest possibility is that it finally does come out but it’s just full of more long meandering POV chapters of characters who were introduced in one of the last two books just traveling places and

This isn't the Stormlight thread.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

European Medieval Combat Guys are only just above Normandy WW2 Guys on the hierarchy of history buff smoothbrains.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

So I've been listening to the series on audiobook after hearing tons of recommendations. A lot of people over the years have told me that the reader, Ray Dotrice, does an amazing job and I don't entirely agree. It sucks to speak ill of the dead, but while Dotrice is good at narrations and voices for older men, his comedic voices and female voices are awful. Brienne, Sam, and Daenerys all sound exactly the same. I much prefer when male audiobook readers don't try to create voices for women. His "funny" voices can be really annoying and overly drawn-out and I can't believe he got away that yellow-face voice for Missandei. Hearing an old man read out Dany's sex fantasies in the voice of a shrinking leprechaun has an unintended comedy to it, though.

I will commend the sheer amount of effort he put into his work and when he's reading the right entries, he kills it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I'm loving dying.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Clearly the way you cure a skin disease is to cut off a person's skin! :pseudo:

Performed by a shaky coward on an unanesthetized man after the former just looked up the procedure on GameFAQs

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Swerving from an arc to "shake things up" or "provoke an audience reaction" is something arrogant adolescents do because they lack the maturity or substance to do anything else. The Sopranos finale didn't set out to be a swerve, and it really isn't because everything about it is well-established and foreshadowed by the themes of the series and season it's a part of, but because it had the intelligence to end an anti-hero story in an appropriately anti-hero way it suddenly becomes "subverting expectations." The Red Wedding as well. It's really not a twist as much as an outgrowth of the themes that shakes up the cast list and primary conflicts. It's barely even a curveball, just throwing down the gauntlet to posture and say "in this story we're not afraid to shake things up" (even though yeah immediately after GRRM becomes terrified to shake things up).

Yeah, a key part of the Sopranos Ending and the Red Wedding is that they could have happened at any time, but there was plenty of setup and motivation for both events to occur (and I'm one of the people that prefers the idea that Tony survives or possibly survives at the end of the show because I think it's a better and more tragic ending than him just dying). The problem was that after the Red Wedding, factions in the show sort of ceased to exist. Everything that happened happened between something like 20-30 characters in the show's world, with no real feeling that anything could be going on outside of what we were shown. Instead of a great conspiracy hatched between the Lannisters and Freys offscreen against the families of the north, we would just get scenes where one character would kill another and then smile into the camera.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s been so long since the last book that obsessed ultra fans have studied GRRM’s already published works like they’re studying the Bible and looking for deep meaning in every passage when we know for a fact that there are details in A Game of Thrones that were parts of plotlines and some foreshadowing for events that were outright abandoned going forward.

Let me link you to a video that says that they're gonna find a radioactive dragon in Asshai. It's only 3 hours long.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I still don't buy that slip-up that as the end-all argument. David could have just misspoke, because he said afterwards “He could have been whacked in the diner. We all could be whacked in a diner. That was the point of the scene." I just don't take the idea that Tony definitely died. The point of the ending is that whether or not he's killed at the end, he's going to be living in a decaying state of paranoia for the rest of his life (whether it ends right there or 30 years later) and it was a brilliant way for us to understand his perspective.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Do they ever show lil Carmine’s kids? People call him a moron but he’s one of the few who sees the patterns and willingly walks away from it to protect his actual family while both of Tony’s kids are doomed to repeat his mistakes.

There's a lot of talk around how cunning Little Carmine is, but a lot of the arguments in favor of that I've seen feel kind of specious. Either way, by playing it cool, he ends up in the best position of anyone in the show (running New York, having Tony's son working for him as Tony is possibly dead and the Soprano family is gutted by the war) by the end of the run.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

KellHound posted:

It gets forgotten a lot because it's not the "cool" "edgy" part. Everyone remembers Rorschach narration where he talks about the decay of the city, but don't remember him (out of costume) telling the newpaper guy that the world is definitely going to end TODAY. Followed by newpaper guy assuring him, he will have Rorschach's niche right wing newpaper (which I think only Rorchach and the guys that print it read. I'd have to double check that) ready and waiting for him tomorrow. His therapist is genuinely trying to help him. The comic frequently proves Rorschach wrong when you start looking at not the superheroes. And Ozymandias' big plan is only "needed" because of tension between governments.

I would compare a lot of those moments to ASOIAF's small folk being screwed over repeatedly by the noble's trying to gain power. Or the North's loyalty to Ned's memory.

Both aren't as nihilistic as they seem but the adaptions they got decided well that's not cool, lets double down on nihilism, corruption, and bleakness.

Edit: To bring it back to ASOIAF, the books aren't as nihilistic as people assume, is why I kinda think Doran isn't a super chessmaster mind. He has just realized he needs to let his personal revenge and feelings over rippen like the blood oranges in order to protect the kids in the water garden. The missions he gave his kids are busywork so it looks to the rest of Dorne that is has revenge plans. This prevents the masses from rebelling for a desire to get revenge. And it keeps Arianne too bust to start a war that gets all the civilians killed. I don't think his plan will work, but I think that is his intent.

Glad to see someone else didn't write off The Watchmen. Zack Snyder gets a bad rap because he buries his messages behind his movies' long runtimes and CG spectacles.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Uh, you know Watchmen is just "Watchmen" and was a comic book first? Snyder was famously derided for his overtly literal translation that showcased in weirdly plain language that he either disagreed with or only superficially understood the thematic intent-- the fights are "cool" rather than empowering, Rorschach is unambiguously framed as hot poo poo, etc.

Snyder honestly does get a bit too much poo poo because while I think most of his movies are dogshit, he does consistently push himself out of his comfort zone to try and tackle weightier issues... but that doesn't mean he's remotely competent at it. He's not competent. He's a stupendous technician who is the absolute best of the best at directing second units in another dimension, but unambiguously sucks chode at doing something as elementary as portraying the Superfriends in a compelling way. (Sidenote: that is not me complaining about his stylistic choices, but the execution of them on anything more than a visceral level)

Anyway more on-topic I'm still very surprised at how great Diana Rigg was as Lady Tyrell. That show burnt out such a great cast.

Yeah, I read the comic, and I think the movie is worse, obviously, but I never really bought the argument that he loves and thinks Rorschach is cool. It was just that he wanted to have so much style that it obfuscated a lot of what the script and actual subtle imagery wanted to say. It was the same problem with Sucker Punch, which going by what I've heard and read had a pretty decent take on the idea of "strong female characters," but he was so obsessed with style that the substance got pushed out of sight. His poor direction that can't even get decent performances out of normally talented actors which help to make his movies too lifeless (even ironically during the CGI explosion-fests) and dull to keep my interest. I just see him get painted as being some kind of right-wing fascist, when I don't see any of that in his movies, especially 300, which is supposed to have a sting at the end that you've been fed propaganda as part of an intended anti-war message (but of course got drowned out by spectacle and stylishness).

I don't think he's a great director, but I just feel he's misrepresented.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Make movies based off of the Galaxy of Fear books, cowards.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Just watched The Netflix Witcher to scratch and itch and... it sucks, right? Besides Henry Cavill being the image of Geralt and Jaskier being fun, the show was a disjointed mess. I remember when it came out, nerds were bombing any review site that was even mildly critical of it, so I assumed that while it probably wasn't great, it couldn't have been as poorly written as it is. I admit I had fun when Geralt got to fight monsters and hang with Jaskier, but I can't believe that someone thought that bouncing back and forth between what felt like eight different pins on a timeline was a remotely good idea.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 7, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I mean it was designed to be a throwback to Xena/Hercules-style monster of the week starring Himbo Supreme Cavill for jerkoff material.

That's what I was hoping for. Maybe give us a season of Geralt fighting monsters with some of the over-arching plot stuff sprinkled here and there, but it went way too wild with the time skips.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Thankfully that Amazon production already looks like a truly massive financial sinkhole that even if it's a roaring success they probably won't want to expand it out.

We're deconstructing the idea of a thread needing to have a consistent topic when the sack of poo poo author refuses to provide more content.

Also lmao did the trailer for the new GRRM thing come out? I didn't even see it posted here. No one cares at all huh?

Yeah, the trailer came out. It looks fine. It might be good. It might not.

Why does it seem like people get obsessed with people posting "incorrectly" in this thread? Some people like the material despite the background problems. Only being allowed to post "lol book no coming out GRRM sucks" is some Black Baby Goku "im gay"-era poo poo. This isn't directed at Walrus in particular.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 9, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

We're not allowed to make fun of people for having different opinions on the somethingawful.com forum now? That's incorrect posting, in this thread, according to you?

Do you see, possibly, maybe, a smidge of hypocrisy there?

No, I don't. I'm critical of that fact that the second anyone tries to post anything in this thread that's not "dead books lol" that there needs to be a run of posters who feel the need to save the thread by posting a row of "books actually dead and bad lol".

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

EDIT: Fine, whatever. Dead gay books lol.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 9, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Aw, don't be that way. It's just that most everything has been discussed to death and the only thing that still seems fun is busting on gurm and his terrible hat and his horrible work ethic and his pathetic excuses and poo poo now im doing it myself

Yeah, I mean calling out posts is lame and I do feel dumb about it. It's just exhausting and I went too far with it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Phenotype posted:

and sometimes it takes being raised in the gutter to end up becoming the ultimate fighter, the fooking legend

My headcanon is that Karl warged into Ramsey when Jon killed him.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah that scene was a rumor that popped up right after the finale aired. A slightly less dumb variation on the scene was one where they hear a commotion in the woods to find a zombie on the ground freaking out and trying to grab at them.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I'm still stuck on the fact that George was so miffed at a 2002-era spellchecker that he types on emulated WordStar. Spellcheck indeed sucked a long time ago, but they've made progress, man.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

bobjr posted:

House of the Dragon relies on a lot of big cinematic battles too right? I wonder how those would look considering we got about 1 a season with GoT

Supposedly, but lol that the GoT show has a throwaway line from Tywin that dragons hadn't been used since Aegon's Conquest. They can't lead with the Blockbuster poo poo, though. They need likeable characters and engaging drama, or it's just going to go the way of other fantasy adaptations like Eragon or Golden Compass.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I just want to see the chapter where The Ironborn land in Meereen and fight all of the ridiculous armies like the men on stilts.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How has Preston not put out an emergency video yet because that’s what I need.

He has done an emergency episode of his podcast about it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

That same woman said her medical knowledge came from performing revenge surgery on sleeping men.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s such a great point that HBO will not be able to help themselves with this show just like with Disney and the Mandalorian. Mandalorian season 1 was a pretty low key self contained story. Then in Season 2 it immediately became Star Wars: The TV Show with all your favorite characters showing up. The same will happen with Snow.

HBO is likely fully aware of the common sentiment that people just may not give a poo poo about Targaryens, or at least not enough to justify another hundred million dollar per season epic and have a retconning continuation of their main series.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Glidus' videos are great, and they're really well-edited. He's fun when he gets on Preston's streams. He makes fun of people who take weird theories seriously, so it's fun to see someone push back on Preston.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

It has been fun to watch Preston go from "Dornish Master Plan" to "Prepping for Winter" to "George didn't start writing until COVID" to "I'm going to write Winds."

During one of Preston's streams, he started going over a viewer question about specific symbolism in a Dany vision, and when he asked Glidus what he thought, Glidus said "I don't think any of these kinds of people have ever done psychadelics" and it was cathartic to hear.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I've never had the patience to sit through one of his videos but I already like this dude more than most people.

He has the most believable theory videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-94RDwiVFs

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Gambrinus posted:

Is there a transcription of these anywhere? I don't really use Youtube for stuff like this and would much prefer to read something.

It's in the video description.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

:siren: Double Post But Holy poo poo, George Wrote an Entire Blog Post About Winds :siren:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

A Fucker posted:

I have done a lot of interviews over the years, more than even I can possibly keep track of. Inevitably, a lot of them touch on the same subjects. One of the things I have been asked about most is my writing process. If you have seen any of those interviews, you have probably heard me talking about the two types of writers, the architects and the gardeners. I have given that same spiel numerous times. Here’s one of the most thorough explanations:

Another question that I get a lot, especially since the end of GAME OF THRONES on HBO, is whether A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, will end the same way. An architect would be able to give a short, concise, simple answer to that, but I am much more of a gardener. My stories grow and evolve and change as I write them. I generally know where I am going, sure… the final destinations, the big set pieces, they have been my head for years… for decades, in the case of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. There are lots of devils in the details, though, and sometimes the ground changes under my feet as the words pour forth.

(Another question fans and interviewers alike ask a lot if “Where do you get your ideas?” Honestly, I wish I knew. When confronted with the same question, Harlan Ellison used to say, “Schenectady.” The ancient Greeks spoke of the muses. Freud talked of the conscious and subconscious minds, the id, the ego, the superego. More recently, we hear about the right brain and the left brain, one analytic and rational, the other imaginative and creative. I am pretty sure the answer is not Schenectady, but aside from that… hell, I don’t know. Yes, there are some instances where I know the seed from which something in my garden sprang. The Wall sprang from my visit to Hadrian’s Wall in 1981. The Wars of the Roses inspired much of GAME OF THRONES. The Red Wedding was a mash up of the Glencoe Massacre and the Black Dinner from Scottish history, turned up way past eleven. But for every instance like that, there are a hundred for which I have to say, “I don’t know. One day the thought just came to me. It wasn’t there, and then it was.” If that was the work of a muse, may she keep on musing).

Which brings me to THE WINDS OF WINTER.

Most of you know by now that I do not like to give detailed updates on WINDS. I am working on it, I have been working on it, I will continue to work on it. (Yes, I work on other things as well). I love nothing more than to surprise my readers with twists and turns they did not see coming, and I risk losing those moments if I go into too much detail. Spoilers, you know. Even saying that I am working on a Tyrion chapter, as I did last week, gives away the fact that Tyrion is not dead. Reading sample chapters at cons, or posting them on line, which I did for years, gives away even more. I actually quite enjoyed doing that, until the day came that I realized I had read and/or posted the first couple of hundred pages of WINDS, or thereabouts. If I had kept on with the readings, half the book might be out by now.

So I am not going to give you all any kind of detailed report on the book, but…

I will say this.

I have been at work in my winter garden. Things are growing… and changing, as does happen with us gardeners. Things twist, things change, new ideas come to me (thank you, muse), old ideas prove unworkable, I write, I rewrite, I restructure, I rip everything apart and rewrite again, I go through doors that lead nowhere, and doors that open on marvels.

Sounds mad, I know. But it’s how I write. Always has been. Always will be. For good or ill.

What I have noticed more and more of late, however, is my gardening is taking me further and further away from the television series. Yes, some of the things you saw on HBO in GAME OF THRONES you will also see in THE WINDS OF WINTER (though maybe not in quite the same ways)… but much of the rest will be quite different.

And really, when you think about it, this was inevitable. The novels are much bigger and much much more complex than the series. Certain things that happened on HBO will not happen in the books. And vice versa. I have viewpoint characters in the books never seen on the show: Victarion Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington, Aeron Damphair They will all have chapters, and the things they do and say will impact the story and the major characters who were on the show. I have legions of secondary characters, not POVs but nonetheless important to the plot, who also figure in the story: Lady Stoneheart, Young Griff, the Tattered Prince, Penny, Brown Ben Plumm, the Shavepate, Marwyn the Mage, Darkstar, Jeyne Westerling. Some characters you saw in the show are quite different than the versions in the novels. Yarra Greyjoy is not Asha Greyjoy, and HBO’s Euron Greyjoy is way, way, way, way different from mine. Quaithe still has a part to play. So does Rickon Stark. And poor Jeyne Poole. And… well, the list is long. (And all this is part of why WINDS is taking so long. This is hard, guys).

Oh, and there will be new characters as well. No new viewpoints, I promise you that, but with all these journeys and battles and scheming to come, inevitably our major players will be encountering new people in lands far and near.

One thing I can say, in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything: not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. (Some will, sure. Of course. Maybe most. But definitely not all) ((Of course, I could change my mind again next week, with the next chapter I write. That’s gardening)).

And the ending? You will need to wait until I get there. Some things will be the same. A lot will not.

No doubt, once I am done, there will be huge debate about which version of the story is better. Some people will like my book, others will prefer the television show. And that’s fine, you pays your money and your make your choice. (I do fear that a certain proportion of fans are so angry about how long WINDS has taken me that they are prepared to hate the book, unread. That saddens me, but there nothing I can do about it, but write the best book that I can, and hope that when it comes out most fans will read it with clean hands and an open mind).

That’s all I can tell you right now. I need to get back to the garden. Tyrion is waiting for me.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I listened to the podcast episode because hey I work 12 hour shifts and I need something to get me through the day. The first half is nothing special; if you've ever listened to any GRRM interview, he plays all the hits. I think the interviewer knew this and he changed gears because at one point I swear GRRM's mood changes in a way I've never heard. When asked about his legacy, GRRM sort of slows down as you can tell he starts looking for words. He then tries to laugh off the question, but the interviewer asks specifically about the main series, and George starts to slow down again. I may be misremembering the details of the question, but I do remember hearing him say things that I haven't heard from him before.

Besides that, the other thing of note is that George apparently now has an employee named Sid who has taken it upon herself to keep George from saying yes to projects.

One random thought is that he says something along the lines of "it's hard. I'll be out working on a TV show for a month and suddenly the muse will strike and I want to go home and write but I'm in a different state." That's why people have laptops and not emulated Wordstar, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Listening to the interview, George's troubles with Winds when it comes to him getting "better ideas" remind me a lot of those video games that get stuck in development hell for years and years. In his younger days, George had to meet deadlines, so the book he had a year or two to write was the book he released. Whether he wishes he could go back and fix or change things now, he can't do it because it's already been released. The same went for those developers that always had to meet deadlines or their studio would be shuttered the next week. Later on, when those developers are successful enough to afford to just stay in indefinite development, switching game engines and adding new features to their Frankenstein, they can do so. With Winds, George can now kick the can down the road for another year every time he gets a new idea instead of releasing his 2011 idea for a book in 2013 "or else."

I'm extremely new to writing, but I have done creative stuff like DMing for a DnD group for years. Once a week, I show up with campaign notes and memorized worldbuilding notes. I could always push this week's session further and further back, perfecting and honing the next sequence of dungeons and quests, but without an outlet, creativity feels like a burden to me. I could have always made a dungeon or encounter better for my players, but they absolutely could have left me without my outlet if I kept delaying sessions, promising the best new ogre fight ever.