Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Finished it last night, after the 6 year wait (10 years for my favourites) I came away disappointed. Granted I have really enjoyed the series including AFFC and I did enjoy this book but I do not see where Martin is going with the series.
I can see the big hitting points but he is still chucking in more and more characters and it just seems to be one giant juggling act, he has so many plot lines that need to be closed down.
I know Jon is going to be resurrected but it seemed when I read the book, I could almost hear Martin thinking "Oh no I haven't killed off a fan favourite yet, Jon will do!".
The whole Slavers Bay bit was pretty dire, why he has decided to concentrate and focus on this area for so long I do not know.

Overall I think a lot of the criticism of AFFC can be directed at ADWD, lots o words but very little movement.
I do have to agree that Manderlys pies did make me chuckle, especially when he asked Ryder to play the Rat King song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

serewit posted:

The true ending is where the Braavosi come back to collect on their debts after engaging in risky and speculative lending practices in the Free Cities, find out the Westerosi overinflated their assets, and cause castle prices to depreciate so much that the Dothraki roll in, buy all the castles, and spend the rest of their days having horse drag-races up and down the south.

It was all an extended metaphor for the housing bubble! :ssh:

Ha, what will happen is Jon is going to be rezzed and glamoured to look like Stannis, win the war but tell the bank that he has no money to give them. Someone in the bank will say a prayer in a certain temple and we know who the debt collector will be.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

silly posted:

OK so a few questions that stemmed from the epilogue. The whole Varys/Illyrio conspiracy is now well-documented and it's clear that they are backing a Targaryen restoration. Varys bleats a lot about doing it for "the realm" but do we have any idea of what his and Illyrio's true motives are or are we stuck with speculation at this point?

And on a related note, what is Littlefinger's game besides setting himself up in a better position and trying to marry Sansa?

Varys and Illyrio obviously think that the Targs will do a better job than the current lot and they will be very well rewarded for what they have done. Seems like pretty good motivation to me.

When Littlefinger is finished he will have direct and indirect control of the North, the Vale and Harrenhal and all its lands, that is a big chunk of Westoros.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I just dont understand Doran Martells strategy with sending Quentyn to Daenarys.

"Ok Quentyn, I have this really old marriage pact that is not even for yourself and her, but you should try and make her marry you. Oh, we know nothing about her except she has been taking over cities and she may be insane like her dad. If you cant get her to marry you, steal one of her dragons.
We know very little about dragons but I am sure you will be able to tame the deadliest creature in the world. I expect you to be flying over on a dragon in a couple of months time. Please dont breathe near me it is affecting my gout."

Am I missing something? For someone who is supposed to be a great thinker and ponderous, sending Quentyn is downright retarded.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmmm I guess so, still seems kinda stupid. You would think he would send a gimp out first to test the waters instead of sending his son. Anyway one of the only positives I got from reading the Meereen bit was reading about Quentyns horrible death.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Terry Glenn posted:

Darkstar is headed to Mereen to untie this stupid knot.

In the next book there should be 20 long Darkstar chapters. Whenever Darkstar is not in another POV, any other character should just keep saying "Wheres Darkstar?".

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe he should plunge the sword into his daughter instead, she does sound a bit of a mong.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Nice, lil bit of the ol' casual racism to spice things up.

Racism :raise:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Haha sorry to break it to you but sometimes words have different meanings in different countries. You will have to take off your Captain Anti-Racist costume now :(

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

PeterWeller posted:

"Mong" does come from Mongoloid. Also, picking on that poor girl because she suffers from leprosy is a pretty clear case of ableism.

:v:

Well she hasnt done anything so far except play with Patchface and look mournful all the time. I say she should be sword fodder :colbert:

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Doibhilin posted:

Did anyone else think it was really weird that Jon knew about Patchface when the queen arrived at Castle Black? I think he says that Cotter Pyke mentioned him in a letter. What the gently caress? Why would he mention Patchface in a letter? "Dude, Lord Snow, there's this little gently caress up who hangs out with the ugly leper..."

Maybe the Nights Watch just like to gossip like a bunch of teenage girls?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Sorry I might have missed it, anyone got a lamprey count?

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Rhymenoceros posted:

Did anyone else feel the book wasn't that good?

Like I said earlier, I enjoyed the book but I came away disappointed. I wanted far more movement and some of the stuff was plain pointless. He should be looking to start winding things up instead of shoving more crap in.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

Holy poo poo, that is an unforgivably awful headline if that quote is all it's based on. He said pretty much the opposite of that.

For a minute there I thought that GRRM actually had died and has since been possessed by the spirit of Jordan. Book 6 would consist of Dany smoothing out her dress (she already has the braid to tug on) and knitting while talking about those troublesome boys. By book 14 she might have got out of Meereen.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
GRRM hungry!!!!!!!!!!! bwahahahahahahahahaahahahahahha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Maybe the daggers were like theatrical ones. Jon will suddenly realise and they will all have a good laugh.