Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The one question I need answered is this; Is Bronn still kicking around or does he not show up at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So does the new book help explain what the gently caress Varys is doing? I've just finished re-reading the books and still have no idea what the hell he's pulling for. At first I thought he was trying to help Dani but now I just don't know what the gently caress.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Do Bran or Samwell have chapters in this book?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bran kills Hodor and the Reeds for more warg power and to be able to see and speak through the godwoods. Samwell does not have a chapter I don't think.

If this actually happened, it would instantly redeem the Bran chapters.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
About 2/3 through ADWD and holy poo poo am I sick of the Dany chapters. They just drag on and on and she has yet to actually do something besides moan about Dariio. However, I'm really enjoying the rest of the book and even though Quentyn is a total tool, I really like him.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Contra Calculus posted:

The worst chapters in the entire books so far for me are Tyrion's and Dany's. Dany is just whining about this mercenary shithead that no one gives a gently caress about and all of Tyrion's chapters have been one big :goonsay:. Jon's are at least tolerable so I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Yeah, I have to agree about both of those. Tyrion's started off entertaining but for the first time, I find myself wanting to skip them. I don't give two fucks about either Daario or Penny.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NihilCredo posted:

Edit: Lord Manderly might officially be the most awesome Northerner alive:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/53305-adwd-spoilers-menu-for-a-feast/
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rat_Cook

Lord Manderly is indeed loving awesome. All he wants is his liege lord back when all these other assholes want money, power or dragons. In fact, this booko really brings out the awesomeness of the North. The Theon chapters and Davos chapters show how many people are loving pissed off at the Freys and want vengeance. :black101:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

NihilCredo posted:

Ashara Dayne's bastard could just as likely have been fathered by Brandon as by Ned Stark.

Also, can the people who hated ADwD Tyrion expand on it a little? I did get sick of his moping and drinking early on, but excluding his stay with Illyrio and the stop at the brothel I found him to be no less entertaining than before. Same wit, except now he got to spar it with people completely unlike those that surrounded him in Westeros.

He was very entertaining until Penny comes into play. I feel like Penny becomes the focus of his story instead of all the other important things happening around him. It's the same problem with Dany. She's too busy worrying about loving blue beard and Mereen than all the other important things happening around her.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm clearly an idiot but what's happening with Mance? I don't remember who Abel is and how he's connected with Mance. When Mel did her weird cloaking/camo/whatever the gently caress it was, I got instantly confused. Who's the Lord of Bones?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Now that I'm finished, I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

Jon chapters were fairly interesting, although a lot of it blended together. I'm glad he took his duties serious though and tried to work with what he had. I'm not convinced he's dead though, of course.

Dany chapters were loving awful. They all blended together in a whiny mess of Daario, "my children", and Harpies. Nothing of any importance happened in her chapters and I can't for the life of me remember anything interesting happening, besides Drogon loving everyone up in the Pit.

Tyrion chapters started off great, then nosedived. I like him interacting with Griff, Aegon and the Septa. Once Penny came into it though, his chapters became mindless acrobatics games and stupid poo poo that I couldn't care less about.

Theon chapters were by far some of the best chapters in the book, if not the series. It's remarkable how Martin managed to make me feel sympathy for Theon, even after he hosed up Winterfell. As creep and sick as his chapters were, they payed off great with his escape from Winterfell.

Bran chapters were also really interesting and the scene where he sees Ned polishing his sword was both :smith: and :unsmith:. I'm still not sure how becoming a tree will help but I'm sure TWOW will explain it all.

I'm in the minority here but I loved Quentyn's chapters. He seemed like a less intelligent form of Ned and although he got hosed over in every way, I really felt bad for him.

Barristan and Melisandre's chapters were superb and gave some insight on both of them.

Jon Conningtons chapters were interesting too, and although Aegon is a Mary Sue, at least he gets poo poo done. In all the time Dany's been loving around, Aegon invades Westeros.

The epilogue was great, although I'm going to miss Kevan. :(

Arya, Asha, Jaime, Cersei, Vargo and Victarion all could have been left in AFFC or TWOW and I wouldn't have really noticed.

Brannock posted:

Quick timeline of events:

-Mance is slated to be burnt by Melisandre
-Melisandre meets with Mance in secret, puts an illusion on him to make him look like Rattleshirt, puts Rattleshirt in Mance's cage illusioned to look like Mance
-Jon kills Rattleshirt with arrows
-Mance walks around acting like Rattleshirt and gets a couple good beats on Jon to repay him for lying to Mance
-Melisandre sees "Arya" in the flames, sends Mance to smuggle Arya-Jeyne away from the Boltons so Jon can save her without having to compromise his position as LC, trying to ingratiate herself to Jon
-Mance becomes Abel and takes 6 spearwives and goes to Winterfell disguised as a traveling troupe, murders guards, sets up rescue scheme. Is caught by Ramsay Bolton who kills all the spearwives and cages Mance again

edit: The "Arya" Melisandre sees turns out to be Alys Karstark, forgot to include that.
Ohhh, ok that makes a lot more sense, thanks!

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So if Varys and Illyrio were raising Aegon the entire time, how come Illyrio didn't give Aegon the dragon eggs instead of Dany? It seems they have much more influence over him than Dany and it would have greatly supported his claim.

Edit; did Illyrio suspect that the eggs would hatch into actual dragons? I've read that scene several times but I can't find anything to indicate either way.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 18, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Speaking of dragons, do we have any idea how big they are at this point?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So I've been rereading CoK and they mention the Citadel a few times. What the hell is the Citadel? Is it someplace overseas, like in Bravos?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Eej posted:

Ned is from the North where the only thing holding it together is a very strict sense of honour amongst the Northmen. He wouldn't know a thing about pinching his nose to make a decision. As we all know it doesn't work in the South where staying honourable to one's values is as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

But as we've seen, people like Lord Manderly will always believe in the Starks even when it would be politically expedient to bend to the will of King's Landing. You've got Lord Manderly baking Freys into pie and planning a glorious backstabbing with the Umbers so they can put Rickon back on the throne. You have a whole bunch of Northern clans uniting behind Stannis not because they love him but because they want to save the Stark girl.

So yes, Ned got poo poo done but the way he did it was not the politically best way of doing so. Which is far more than what Dany ever did but we must forgive her for she is a little girl and doesn't know much in the ways of not being unfit to rule.

This is why I loving love the North so much. In a world full of backstabbing scumbags and shitholes, the Northmen remain loyal and dedicated to their King. gently caress the Boltons though.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Brannock posted:

There were really only four important Meereenese: Hizdahr, Galazza Galare, the Shavepate (easy enough to remember, at least), and Reznak. Everyone else is pretty much incidental.

Well gently caress, the only one I remember of these are Hizdahr. I vaguely recognize shaveplate but I have no clue who the other two are. Serves me right for skimming Dany's chapters, I guess.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 22, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'd like to see Selmy fight Ser Gregor. Then we'll see who the best living knight is. :smug:

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Victarion knows this all too well.

That was by far one of the funniest parts of the book. Victarion just chucks them overboard without a second thought.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So do we have any ideas on where the Blackfish went? I'm hoping he'll pop up in TWOW or at least be mentioned.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Linguica posted:

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.

Your false king’s friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king’s queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want his wildling princess.

I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard’s heart and eat it.
The creepiest part of this letter, in my opinion, is " And I want my Reek." That
just creeps me out so much, like Ramsay wants his pet back. Those loving Boltons.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Iggles posted:

I think a lot of people (including me) think Tyrion's chapters were quite annoying in that they went nowhere and seemed unnecessarily complicated/had Penny in them. But thinking about it I was struck by the similarity to Arya's chapters in aSoS. She changed hands repeatedly while trying to get somewhere else (and was also captured by someone she thought was taking her to Cersei). And Arya's chapters were well received right? I certianly liked them

The thing is, Arya had interesting people around her, like The Hound, Thoros and Dondarrion. All Tyrion had was stupid Penny and whining, moping Jorah.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Toplowtech posted:

Basically the second blackfyre rebellion took place in Whitehall during the wedding of Lord Ambrose Butterwell to the daughter* of Lord Frey. It was just an excuse for the pro-Blackfyre houses to get together and invite the houses angered by Bloodraven's Handship. They also invited Hoster's recently married father since he was their liege and it would be insulting not to do so but Lord Tully didn't come. You can imagine Lord Tully teaching young Hoster that the Freys are traitors and that he should never go to one of their weddings, using the second rebellion as an example of Frey treachery.

*Said daughter was married to Butterwell because she was having sex with one of the kitchenboy in the Twin main kitchen during the middle of the night. Her 4 years old** bother actually found them and made so much noise that half the castle came to see what was going on.

**Considering his age and the date of the rebellion (212 after Aegon's Landing), her 4 year old brother would be Walder Frey (born in 208 AL). Walder Frey, engineering terrible weddings since 212 AL.

Jesus, that's complicated. So who fought in the rebellion and why? I barely remember any of this, much less figure out all the details.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He upended a game of Cyvasse when Tyrio beat him then made Tyrion pick up the pieces. That doesn't exactly scream humble to me.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
He did the same drat thing with AffC. The Arya, Jaime, Brienne and Cersei chapters all felt like they could have been added to the end of Crows with little trouble. Instead we had annoying cliff-hangers for about six years.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rhymenoceros posted:

Why didn't he listen to Melisandre? She obviously has some ability predicting the future. "Daggers all around you" NOPE, just gonna wander around, cutting people's heads off, letting the wildlings pass the wall, nobody's gonna get pissed form that.

I honestly don't blame him here. Before AdwD, I didn't trust her and thought she was a shady piece of poo poo. You can't expect Jon to suddenly embrace her just because we the reader have embraced her. From his perspective, she lied to him once about her sister so why would he take her advice again?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought Sam had the real horn, the one they found at the fist?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Unkempt posted:

That's (maybe) the horn of Joramun, the one that woke giants and (supposedly) will bring down the Wall. Victarion's got a different horn that's supposed to tame dragons (and kills whoever blows it).

Hmm, that's an Ice horn and a Fire horn...

Oh, I totally forgot about that. :downs:

I'd rather Victarion have the horn than loving Dany. Nothing would make me happier than seeing Victarion use the dragons to torch everything.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Theon chapters alone redeem this book. Reading every one of those chapters was well worth skimming or skipping Dany and Tyrion's chapters.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Oh, definitely. Almost every POV that wasn't dany's or Tyrion's were great. Except, in my opinion, Arya's. I don't know where her arc is going and it's getting pretty boring at this point. Arya hasn't had any impact on the story in over two books.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Yeah, it's mentioned how he saw Selmy at one point. Also, was Tyrion ever in Braavos? In one of the Cersei chapters, someone mentions to her that he saw Tyrion at a mummers show in Braavos.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rurik posted:

And is it just me or does GRRM hate singer and performing artists? Marillion was an rear end in a top hat who was put to death because of false accusations, Blue Bard was tortured till he went mad, the Singer's Stew... And Penny and Groat were named after the smallest of coins. And Groat was killed for no reason. And Penny's and Groat's dog and pig were most probably killed.

Is it bad that I don't even remember who Groat was?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The only thing really giving credence to that theory is the fact that GRRM keeps listing Benjen as missing in the character list, not dead. It's always "presumed dead" or " Missing beyond the wall".

Speaking of character list, the character list for "On Slavers Bay" is a loving eyesore. Just a bunch of random names with "z" making half the names.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I always just thought Pycelle was a blundering old guy who gets hosed over at every opportunity. However, the ending of ADWD changed that. Varys killed Kevan because he was fixing the realm. He probably killed Pycelle because he was doing the same thing.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One of my favorite scenes was at the wedding feast in ADWD, when the Manderelys and Freys are about to kill each other. For just a minute, Roose loses control of the situation and he shouts for the first time in the series.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Same with Joffrey. What positive thing has that loving brat ever done?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
If Aegon, Victarion and Bronn turned out to be the three heads of the dragon, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest and would take back every negative thing I've ever said about GRRM.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Blackfish?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Argali posted:

Literally no one cares about Quentyn, and obviously GRRM didn't either. The whole point of him traveling to Mereen was to free the two smaller dragons? Oh and he gets fried to a crisp in the process? Gimme a break. There wasn't anything more interesting to do with him as a character?

I liked Quentyn. :colbert: Hopefully, now that he's dead, it'll mean Dorne tells dany to go gently caress herself and support Aegon instead.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Eggnogium posted:

Are we sure about that? Blackfish may have been booted by his brother before Petyr came there. I can't remember if there's any evidence either way.

There's a Catelyn chapter, I can't recall which, where she says that she, Lysa and Petyr would always go running to the Blackfish for their problems.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
No you're right. Samwell had several chapters in AffC. I don't blame you for not remembering because Samwell is a loving boring character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Why is Doran a prince? Every other High-born is just a Lord so why does Doran call himself a Prince?