Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

Briennes chapters, the more i think about them, are pretty boring and extremely long but serve a good purpose and, I can't believe it hasn't been brought up, have a brutal payoff. There are lots of points of dread in the book, but when Brienne was getting her face chewed off i just felt plain bad. poo poo was rough.

Just about finished with AFFC and thinking back on it, Brienne's are probably one of my most favorite Chapters in AFFC due to the amount of useless detail, background information, etc. that is contained in them.

Seriously though, Gregor's head was taken off. Back as a zombie? :wtc:

e: I'm talking about Brienne in AFFC. She was boring as gently caress in ASoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

neongrey posted:

Yeah you fuckers laughed at me for buying a phsycial copy to go with the Kindle version, who's laughing next to a perfectly level table now?

I am so confused. Did you kick the book under the bed and leave it, kick the bed under the table THEN retrieve it to use as a table prop or just use it to level out your table? :911:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Lol poo poo George Martin just had a stroke

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
But what if Jon warged into Melisandre? :wtc:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Sorry, I have this awful tendency to type out (and post) what I wish would happen.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Does anybody else still only read this series to see who Jon Snows real parents are?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Dominion posted:

It's Lyanna and Rhaegar, hope this helps.

Thanks, time to burn the books now.

e: Nvm.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 29, 2011

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
What. The. gently caress.

:wtc:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

Theon and Davos have the only good chapters in the book.

I would, in the past, have advised you to leave the thread before someone spoils you, or spoilered you myself, but the only real spoiler to ADWD is that nothing happens. So, uh, welcome to the party. Grab a lemoncake and enjoy your explosive diarrhea.

Asha (Greyjoy), Tyrion & Grif/Young Grif (SURPRISE SURPRISE) Chapters were pretty good as well.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Happy New Years, Bad Thread! Did GRRM start writing yet?

All sources point to... Hell No! :dealwithit:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I have this feeling that GRRM will be kicking the bucket this year.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Apparently a chapter from TWOW.

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

My prediction:

-Aegon VI is really a blackfyre descendant of bittersteel.Goes on to conquer the Iron Throne w/ Dorne's help after marrying Arianne.
-Varys is really a blackfyre

This is all pending that GRRM doesn't have some other illness, such as the common cold, that would inadvertently cause him to miss up to six months of writing. :911:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I believe you have underestimated how far on GRRM's back burner The Winds of Winter is.

He has three things to finish in regards to ASoIaF before he resumes work on the main series:

A) Season 2 Game of Thrones

B) Another Dunk n Egg / Novella (2012 publish date)

C) "The World of Ice and Fire" COMPANION BOOK :iiam:

He's also working on a lesbian femme fatale book with Gardner Dozois or some poo poo and another wild card for 2012.

:zaeed:

e: oh ya; everything he has "written" for The Winds of Winter is just 130ish? pages pushed back from ADWD because it was "too long"

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

I hope it's something like those two companion books for Harry Potter (Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them), those were a lot of fun. Perhaps even written in character, like a Westerosi equivalent to Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America.

Not sure what those books are about.. but the Companion book is basically a much much more detailed map of A Song of Ice and Fire (All 3/4 Continents) + very thorough family genealogies. I expect it is GRRM's real life version of The White Book or w/e the kingsguard book is.

I don't really get why he is doing this now and not wrapping up the other books then releasing it. Seems like it will be very spoiler heavy or maybe he's doing this so he can re-release it after he finishes the series :wtc:

e: holy poo poo these pubbies on westeros.org are terrible.

TerriblePubbie101 posted:

I don't believe in magic. I do think it's probably possible to postulate a set of orbital conditions such that the climatic conditions described by GRRM could exist, though it may not be a stable configuration. I think magic is just what people call incomprehensible situations when they're too busy (or lazy) to do the math.

DifferentPubbieStillAwful posted:

drat it, I want to know EVERYTHING about this world!! I'm fascinated about the geographical implications of Martinworld; volcanic eruptions, mini Ice Ages and corresponding falls and rises in sea levels, the shattering of the Arm, why the Milkwater still flows even though it should be locked in perpetual Ice, the Shadow of Asshai, why people can still follow a 'polestar' if the planetary elliptic orbit explains the erratic climate!
Much though I like fantasy with it's magic, I prefer to have reasonable explanations for percieved phenomena. And it somehow seems more exiting to debate here about a fantasy world, than the doom and gloom of climate change in our own real world...

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 2, 2012

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

If someone could troll the board with GRRM's quote that it's just magic I'd be most appreciative.

I would be "most appreciative" too :fap:

Quote Thread: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/11904-the-doom-of-valyria-any-chance/

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
If only GRRM was more like Brian Jacques (RIP)! This fantasy would be the best thing ever.

(Brian Jacques wrote the Redwall books - he would start and finish the entire plot in a single novel and allude to those books in the next book, etc. Not to mention he consistently pumped out 250-400 page books every 8-14 months for 20-30? years, not including his graphic books, etc. that went along with the Redwall series).

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Well, I can tell you all of the characters in ASOIAF who sure as hell don't, such as fan favorites Dolorous Edd and Jon Targaryen.

I took the liberty of fixing the last word for you, as they take the name of their father not mother yo.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Calling it right now. Theon and Loras.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

Doing what? A buddy cop movie?

Each other obviously. GRRM needs to gain the affluence of the gay community.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Ballz posted:

That's a bit disingenuous, as you're not including GRRM's patented fakeouts: Bran and Rickon, Arya, Davos, Brienne, and undoubtedly Jon (and probably a bunch more I forgot) all were "killed off" only to be brought back a few chapters later or in the following book.

Beric! :black101:

Quentyn got eaten by a blazed alive by a loving dragon - no way is he alive.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bengraven posted:

You know, since Theon is technically the heir to the Iron Isles, that makes him a king...at least in Stannis's eyes.

Stannis likely rejects the Ironmen's rules of succession and going by the rest of the kingdoms, Theon is heir and king.

I wonder if Theon's death will finally prove that Stannis isn't the TPWWP.

Asha is older than Theon I thought? Since Theon is no longer a *man* shouldn't she get dibs? :smugspike:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bengraven posted:

Basically this. There's still a ton of Unsullied out there to buy.

See? That would be ironic.

I thought Daenerys purchased all of the Unsullied? Including the ones in training so that no more would be ready for 10+ years?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm hoping, and this is me trying to be an optimist, that he actually has a lot of stuff written already from Winds of Winter and there won't be a huge wait. Partly because some was cut from DwD and partly because I think if you have the entire story arc already imagined you would have most of the details ready for the beginning and the end and he just needs to fill it in with a bunch of "words are wind", "must needs", and a handful of meals and he's got himself another novel.

He only has 100 manuscript pages written, compared to the the typical 1300-1500 that is in a finished book (ADWD was 1500 for example). He has stated that there will be no new POV Characters, aside from Pro/Epilogue, so I think this makes it somewhat hopeful he can have it done inside of 2 years. This is if he puts all of his other "projects" on the backburner (Though the World of ASOIAF does sound quite interesting).

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

I don't really believe he'll stick to that resolution, though. Which is good, because I really want a Hodor POV chapter.

I dont want 20 pages of "HODOR HODOR HODOR" :smithicide:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I still do not "get" how House Mormont works. It seems to be the polar opposite of the every other house in Westeros, as the kids take the mothers name or something.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I wonder if GURM has his new wife-lady call him Rhaegar? :iiam:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Cannot wait for the bread riot scene, it is pivotal from both a narrative and thematic standpoint. I think the directors will play it up given the recent Occupy movement, almost giving it an Occupy King's Landing feel. Can't wait to see the resonance there as the smallfolk show their strength in numbers against those with wealth, such as Lady Lollys and the rest of the court. Though overused in today's lexicon, I feel the term "epic" would succinctly describe this moment in literary and television history.

I will only be satisfied if the kingsguard piss in the faces of the rioters.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Pretty sure someone somewhere said it's set before the letter was sent so we don't even know that.

gurm said that.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Trico posted:

How did people generally react to the Green Fork in the TV series? Did people feel cheated? I hadn't read the book when I watched the series, so I didn't really have a point of reference

I felt cheated by The Green Fork. I felt cheated by the Battle of The Whispering Wood. I felt cheated BY ROBERT BARATHEONS HUNT! They had a giant rear end budget, but no giant rear end boar :(.

Also, in AGOT Tyrion rides with his clansmen in the vanguard and kills 2-3 Northern guys. In the TV Series, he is just knocked unconscious by his own men.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I would kill to have the Always Sunny cast as characters..

Charlie Day: Daario Naharis

Kaitlin Olson: Quaithe?

Rob McElhenney: Euron Grey?

Glenn Howerton: Xaro Xhoan Daxos.

And ofc Danny DeVito as Strong Belwas..

:allears: oh please let it be.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I'll just leave this charm right here.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61652-ranking-the-kingdoms-by-powerinfluence/

ASOIAF Forums posted:

Members

941 posts
Posted Yesterday, 07:12 PM
In fact, the northernmost forest on earth occurs at about 72 degrees latitude. If you estimate the Haunted Forest at about 800 miles from north to south, then it means the Wall would be at roughly 60 degrees latitude.

And if you estimate the Neck to be about 1200 miles south of the Wall, then it means the area between the Wall and the Neck stretches roughly from 60 degrees latitude down to about 45 degrees latitude. In the real world, 45 degrees latitude passes well south of Germany, through France, Italy, Croatia, Kazakstan and roughly through the border between Montana and Wyoming.

So clearly, the North is far south of Alaska.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

IRQ posted:

Obviously ASOIAF takes place on a ringworld that is in a 2 star solar system with a highly elliptical orbit and also a wizard did it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61674-world-flat-or-round/

quote:

Well from a few things that i have read on this forum I think that this world could either be flat or round and about twice the size of earth

If the world is flat then the sun and the sky and everything up there would be just an allusion and the land is just endless

Though if the world is round my theory is that it is a lot bigger than what we think and functions like our world. I think the equator could be about where Sothoros is and from there it goes downwards, meaning we have only seen half of the world. In my eyes they are the only two logical ways it can work and that also means that there could be a lot more land and a lot more stories

So what is your opinion on all this

SAME GUY FROM MY LAST POST'S QUOTE!!! posted:

The world is round. And it is slightly larger than Earth. This has been confirmed by Martin himself.

Based on the climate, the Equator would be roughly where Sothoryos is, with 60 degrees latitude running roughly through the Wall, and the Neck lying roughly at 45 degrees latitude.

The distance from the Neck to the equator would therefore be 3 times the distance from the Neck to the Wall. Meaning about 3600 miles.

Since the south coast of Dorne lies about 1500 miles south of the Neck, it means that the equator lies about 2000 miles south of Dorne.

Se we have:

60 degrees latitude - the Wall
45 degrees latitude - the Neck
25 degrees latitude - the coast of Dorne
0 degrees latitude - the equator, Sothoryos

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I can see paulie shore as an excellent Ramsay.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Wasn't supposed to be out until July I thought. Since he broke the volume in two, there is another prologue! And he said he was going to include a new epilogue in the paperback version - new epilogue chapter from TWOW.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I think we should re-write chapters in an attempt to write TWOW and beat gurm.

quote:

[c]Tyrion[/c]

The emaciated man's voice was choked with semen. "You are a worse man than Ned Stark."

Tyrion Lannister opened his eyes and let out a resounding "uh uh uh uh uh". His cock was alight and he could hardly move his body. For half a heartbeat he feared the sheer amount of ecstasy he had just experienced, which he had not enjoyed since Shae, had left him temporarily paralyzed from the waist down. Then his bowels released. What happened next, he didn't immediately remember as he passed out in his own feces.

The air reaked of burning poo poo, semen and man as Tyrion awoke to a Jorah Mormont screaming as the pavillion blazed-still locked up by Tyrion's golden necklace chain.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

The Yunkai'i slaver who buys Tyrion. Dude was so fat he couldn't move. Also he had a jungle disease and consorted with a hermaphrodite.

He's just got that jungle fever. And I think that we can all agree gurm fantasizes about being any man with sway over Arya :pervert:.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I've been following this since its conception and am so sad I didn't partake. That said, where can I purchase this beautiful monstrosity?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

thornghost posted:

Yeah, I'll have to crunch the numbers and I'll let you know. Give me a day or two though since I'm pretty busy at work and outside of it right now.

It shouldn't be difficult to calculate how much each author gets from a total of 3 sales.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I can get behind this.

Cate and Ronn get multiple penetrations and then someone throws a pet into the mix.

Meanwhilst, nuncle what's his fish has boring vanilla missionary style but lives to regret it.

Make Ronn transform into a pet :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

elmer fud posted:

I have spoiled for 4 people so far who are seriously into ASOIAF, and 20+ for people who just watch it.

I'm going to make a facebook post, someone give me advice to make it better.

"Robb Stark dies at the Red Wedding. Betrayed by the Freys and Karstarks. All of his men are butchered after he breaks his wedding promise to the Freys. Grey Wind's head is sown onto Robb's corpse's head."

I was just going to put: "Game of Thrones spoiler: grrm dies" tbh