Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Krinkle posted:

I finished reading the kingsmoot chapter and I went to my computer to google two things: What is a barber, with respect to anything nautical. I was playing a game earlier killing drowned pirates and one was a barber, and now there's Nute the Barber, it makes me think a barber at sea is something very specific. Coasts of high barbary. I don't know. Inconclusive, there are ships called barber-haulers but I don't think that's it. Gave up on this one.

Nute the Barber is called that because his ax is so sharp that he can shave you with it, I think that's it. The name always bugged me because I kept imagining one of those western movie style barbers with the curly mustaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Oh Jesus there is something new to discover every time I look at that gif. This time it's the lazy-rear end swing Bronn makes for Titsnake's dagger.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You're probably thinking....why is Bronn fighting a sand snake? The answer is

The Sand Snake has tits and Bronn wants to see them?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Who wears cloaks and wouldn't hate Theon? To anyone in the books he is still Theon Turncloak turned into the Bolton's lapdog, I can't think of many who would hesitate even a second to stab him. But yeah, that guy felt like he was supposed to be a Someone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I always wondered what a Sorrowful Man would do if killing a dude took more than one stab. Would he go "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, sooooorryyyyy"?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The idea of a GoT movie is mind-bogglingly stupid. How many fans of the show can be expected to give a poo poo to watch a random story loosely connected to the show, with none of the actors they followed for years? The only way I could see it kind of work would be if it served as a show finale, but as was said before, this would be such a big gently caress You to show watchers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Tell that to Gurm and his numerous standalone histories of House Targaryen and the very loosely related Dunk and Egg novellas. I'm not saying GoT prequels will be successful, but there's some to cause to think they might be.

Yeah, but the books aren't the show, and the show isn't movies. I find it hard to imagine that what people like about the show translates well to the big screen. I have less difficulty imagining spin-off shows, it's in the nature of TV that poo poo goes on in some way. And paper doesn't blush so Martin can write as many spin-offs and prequels as he likes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Now I want to see Martin getting his notes mixed up and writing a new World of Warcraft book.

Blizzard is coming.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Well poo poo I know Barristan was agonizing over sticking his oar into politics as being the literal worst thing a whitecloak can do but all the logic seemed sound. Hizdahl completely cut him out and acted exactly like a guilty person would. I guess I gotta read this blog to continue this conversation though.

I think much of the shadiness of Hizdahr's behavior is a direct observational flaw by Selmy. Confirmation bias is a running theme in the books and Selmy falls for Skahaz' manipulation so easily because he filed Hizdahr under "shady rear end in a top hat" the minute he saw him, similarly to Ned being unable to think of the Lannisters as anything but scheming backstabbers.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

"The Riverlands" is actually just Westerosi for the bathroom, and that's where Jaime will meet Blackfish while they both take a leak.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Cartouche posted:

True story: I just got a new job and one of the other new hires looks like Littlefinger. His name is Jamie.

Thank you for reading.

Shave your head and walk around in silk slippers and call yourself Dany, you'll be best friends.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

syscall girl posted:

jaded in which way? sour at five year release dates? growing up and realizing how much old man slobber goes into his khaleesi?

so many kinds of jaded, you need to specify

All of it. All of the jade.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Someone post a weird rear end theory about this series I'll take anything. Theon's dick is the prince who was promised. They're going to wrap a bandana around it like jebidiah springfield's silver tongue and like a little floppy cowboy it will sit the iron throne in a diorama and rule for a thousand years.

Nimble Dick was a secret Targ, RIP Nimble Dick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't really get the whole "Bran is a tree"-thing since it's obvious he's just being trained by a lich in using magical CCTV trees to look through time and space. Not the same thing as being a tree.

I think it's because Bloodraven has become a tree, so people assume that similar things will happen to Bran. It's a good metaphor for losing your humanity too, becoming a tree.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

It's a pretty good metaphor for the series, becoming a tree. Becoming something so ossified, dull, and slow-growing it loses all appeal

On the other hand, trees become books so it's actually a bad metaphor for the series.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Bran isn't going to become a tree. Something g will break in the sanctuary and bran will end up a hostage of the others. He will then realize he doesn't need the tree to use his powers and he will lvl up his powers like neo at the end of the matrix

He will find out that the tree was inside him all along!

Ew.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

that's the Lord of the Crossing game

AKA the shittiest game. I liked how appropriate it was for a Frey kid because everyone knew That Kid in school, the kind that would invent games where they could basically do everything.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Big man Frey himself said it. To their faces. He said something along the lines of "yeah you said you'd marry one of my ugly daughters. Didn't even say mayhaps. heh."

He also said it while offering them bread and wine, "and a sausage mayhaps." Enough to appease the gods, surely?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it was more Tywin was in massive denial rather than not knowing.

Could his attempts to get Jaime out of the Kingsguard and back to the Rock also be viewed in this light? Reading the last few posts made me think that maybe it doubled as an attempt to get Jaime away from Cersei as well as getting an heir that isn't also a dwarf.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

All this time Martin secretly trained to become a painter, because he heard that a picture was worth a thousand words.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Saw that this thread exploded with, like, 7 new posts. Thought the book might have been released. Was sorely disappointed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

At least Myrcella died at peace, knowing that she was an incest babby. That's kind of heart-warming, if you think about it.

No wait, what the gently caress?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I guess I don't like the moment because no amount off feel-good character development is going to undo that his daughter is also his niece. Like, what if she had lived? Would the subplot have been about how they try to get over her being his incest babby?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Soul posted:

I think I'm finally one of you guys now. I was so bummed about how the show handled stannis and everything up north. To me the best part of Dance was how all these pieces are set so the battle is going to be loving awesome and then the show just poo poo itself. And I'll probably never know what was supposed to happen. gently caress

The Neverending Story is a dope book about losing and regaining your fantasy and it has umpteen ancillary characters that enter the story, do their thing, and leave with "their story shall be continued elsewhere..." and even though you know that it wouldn't be it was all very cool. While ASoIaF has turned out to be a literally never-ending story, it's decidedly not cool.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lycus posted:

They may be going eight instead of seven, and I think they're adding Euron because they don't have enough "villains" anymore.

They still have Ramsay. He's worth 20 bad men.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sansa is going to be the one sitting on the throne by the end of this.

She has an X-men movie coming out soon-ish, what are people's thoughts on how that movie's success is gonna influence her role in GoT? Like, if Jean Grey becomes super-popular, will GoT become the Sansa show? Or is all that poo poo set in stone already and HBO wouldn't really care?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

True enough, but at least the TV show will have an ending. I'll take a couple more seasons of garbage television consisting of tits and dragons vs waiting 20 more years for GRRM to write another 1/3 of a book and still not have any conclusion to main storylines. Any port in a storm and what not.

I'm the opposite. I'm kinda sad ASoIaF will never be finished, but I'd take that over some half-assed gently caress-finish cobbled together and consumed due to a misplaced feeling of obligation and/or greed. Closure is overrated.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The best part of the books, Fat Wyman Manderly, is the only absence that really hurts.

I also miss Strong Belwas and The Yellow Whale.

Why are D&D so extremely opposed to morbidly obese characters that poo poo a lot and eat people?

The show is all about dem titties, but those are the wrong kind of titties.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How do I tell my 800 pound son that Hollywood thinks he's not worthy of love because he shits constantly and has a penchant for wine and human meat?

Tell him not to just give his Han ornament to Luke, it's not worth dying over.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I still very much care what happens to Rickon and Patchface.

Someone should upload the picture of all the dropped characters on that boat set to Lonely Island's I'm on a boat!

When they are done with that, they should make a compilation video of Brienne's best scenes set to Like a Boss.

And one of Theon set to Dick in a box.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't know but I hope there's a scene where her band of heavily armored vikings run up against a couple unarmored harpies wielding tiny daggers and run screaming back to their boats.

I hope they never make it to Mereen on account of being boarded in the middle of the ocean by Pirate Lord Gendry and his vast crew of merry aborted characters.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Where whores go?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is the idea behind that guy that he is such a colossal rear end in a top hat that people want to do mma so they can punch him?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I always like when people think they can't write gently caress when they are logged in.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

MrSlam posted:

I don't mind the word gently caress, I just thought I'd change things up.

I like that too!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

no, the beautiful part is that despite being a total gently caress up and not training all that hard he is literally the best fighter on the planet and has completely destroyed every single fighter who has faced him. the only loss on his record is a DQ because he used an illegal elbow in the process of completely destroying another human being.

That's kinda inspirational. Not the "total gently caress up" part, but the "not training all that hard and still murdering everyone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Everybody wargs into ghost before they die. The books are going to end with someone casting a spell that makes all the ghosts inside Ghost part of his corporeal form and he will look like a huge Frankensteinian clusterfuck and then he will fight Dany's dragons that have merged into one big three-headed dragon.

Hire me Martin, I can do this for you!